Notices

Class of August 2015

Old 08-06-2015, 06:01 AM
  # 341 (permalink)  

Good morning, class! Time to get back on track for me. Yesterday's drinking and subsequent realizations made me recognize how badly I need and want to do this. I don't think there's ever been a time when I've had sober time, had a drink and felt as defeated. It's always been, "oh well, I guess that's it, isn't it?" But not this time.

This time I feel stupid about it, since I knew so well how easily it could happen yet I allowed my junkie mind to have control and take me to that place where my rational mind knew I should never have gone. This is the same struggle I had when I quit smoking so many years ago. The inner addict wants to kill me. The rational mind is used to being passive and letting the addict have its way because, well, the addict has a louder, greedier voice. But there has to be a day of reckoning.

So I'm back here on day 1 with you all and I'm going to keep doing this until I get it right. I did not "lose" that sober time because it helped me. It's still day one today, though.

Hope everyone else is doing well. I'm off to read the posts. Have a great day, everyone.
Old 08-06-2015, 06:04 AM
  # 342 (permalink)  

Beerbe, that was about Day 3 I shopped shaking and sweating , mental fog stayed two weeks, anxiety peaked day 5 for me.. Got 3 weeks then started again and been struggle since, make this your only detox! they suck. Also took multivitamin and B1. Hang in there! I'm right back at day 1 again

Old 08-06-2015, 06:14 AM
  # 343 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Peacehappyness View Post
That's great you just came straight back Retread and yup just keep going!

Peace X
Thanks!
Old 08-06-2015, 06:18 AM
  # 344 (permalink)  

I'm just so tired. I wish I had taken tomorrow off work to just sleep.
Old 08-06-2015, 06:22 AM
  # 345 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DariaM View Post
I'm just so tired. I wish I had taken tomorrow off work to just sleep.
I'm tired, too. Can't wait for the weekend so that I can relax and sleep in a bit. Hope you feel better soon.
Old 08-06-2015, 06:41 AM
  # 346 (permalink)  

One similarity that quitting drinking, and quitting smoking has for me is that I can never have one more. Not one more cigarette and not one more drink.

I went back to smoking a few times after having a period of nonsmoking. It was always with the intention of just having one or two. Well, that never worked out. I now recognize that I can never have one more drink.

Been an ex-smoker for about eight years.
Been an ex-drinker for about one month.
I hope I never forget.
Old 08-06-2015, 06:47 AM
  # 347 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Casey56 View Post
One similarity that quitting drinking, and quitting smoking has for me is that I can never have one more. Not one more cigarette and not one more drink.

I went back to smoking a few times after having a period of nonsmoking. It was always with the intention of just having one or two. Well, that never worked out. I now recognize that I can never have one more drink.

Been an ex-smoker for about eight years.
Been an ex-drinker for about one month.
I hope I never forget.
Exactly. I'm finally getting it through my thick skull that it's the same with drink in this regard. I've always secretly believed that I could somehow or someday keep my drinking in check, and I always find myself back at the same place, just older and sicker than I was the last time. You're completely right. There's no such thing as "just one" with either of these addictions.

It's been fifteen years since last picked up a cancer stick. I can do this with drink, too.
Old 08-06-2015, 07:00 AM
  # 348 (permalink)  

Well, I'm here on Day 2. The little sleep I got last night was light and interrupted, so very tired just like many of you others. I know from past experience though that each night gets a little better.

Whatever happens today, I vow not to drink.
Old 08-06-2015, 07:03 AM
  # 349 (permalink)  
Do your best

Afternoon everyone i cant remember who posted it but i remember seeing TGIT
I remember saying how awesome i found that phrase you guys gave TGIF a remix into TGIT

Each & everyone of you is doing amazing congrats on everyone reaching a personal milestone

Old 08-06-2015, 07:17 AM
  # 350 (permalink)  
OX

Day 6. The headaches have subsided. I think. Feeling a little dumb and clutzy. Today is my last day of work for 5 days. We have some company in town to hit the woods and go camping. It will be nice to have a change of scenery and some fresh air. One of the guests is a young man so there won't be excess partying. I hope.

I too have been extremely tired but have been trying to get some excersise in during the day. Thankfully I've been having shorter work shifts. My 13 hour day on Tuesday wiped me out. The wife was a little shocked at how tired I was.

Been listening to recovery elevator podcasts and reading a sample of beyond the influence with the intention of purchasing it soon. And of course reading up on here. So far that's my program. But I know I have to change. I can't just not drink for a bit. I have some work to do on me to create the best possible bigshoe.

Have a great Thursday everyone. Get some movement and rest, try staying in the moment and be cool.
Old 08-06-2015, 07:28 AM
  # 351 (permalink)  

hello everyone, I am just joining August 2015...I have read through the posts and feel your struggles and grief. my day one yesterday didn't succeed because even though it was the first time in a year that I didn't purchase any alcohol, at the end of the day a client gave me a present of an expensive bottle of wine...how can you turn that down (I should have regifted it). anyhow I feel very committed to quit because this week I noticed my kids starting to sit down nightly with a beer and now I am scared for them!
Old 08-06-2015, 07:39 AM
  # 352 (permalink)  

Day 4!

Some quick observations:

I can see a difference in my body as each day progresses. Yesterday my eyes were clearer than they have been in 3 months. Today my skin started to feel a bit more hydrated and normal. The bloating in my face has gone down.

I was pretty irritable last night between about 4:30 and 8. The witching hour. Partly that was because we had a family BBQ and there were 4 kids running around screaming. Usually I'd use alcohol to "help" in the situation but I've been pretty strong (so far) in my commitment to stop. I ended up jumping in the pool with the kids and tossing them around. That exercise made me feel so much better.

It's funny...when I'm drinking and hung over all the time, most of my day is discomfort and the only respite I have are those few hours of drinking at night. But when I'm sober, most of my day is good to great, and the only discomfort I have is that window of time at night when the cravings hit. And those recede with time. Pretty clear which is the better deal, no?

Happy to be sober today.
Old 08-06-2015, 08:23 AM
  # 353 (permalink)  

Gmorning, y'all. I can't wait for the weekend! I want to SLEEP! I'm sleeping better and better every night and I just want to keep doing it... Work is getting in the way now lol. I'm going to go to yoga this weekend. I'm sleepy, don't have much more to say right now, but hi!
Old 08-06-2015, 08:45 AM
  # 354 (permalink)  

Everyone needs to remember one thing, we have a drinkers are typically of high intellect, our brains work differently than those that can have a drink, something in our lives some form of event is what caused us to become a drinker,. We have to stop looking into the future stop living in the past we have to do this for ourselves and only ourselves at first. Our minds function much faster than that of the nondrinker we are problem solvers. We were young and sober we are at the top of our game somewhere along life we got lost from the path. If you feel the need to drink snack, get a beverage nonalcoholic of course don't worry about the calories At first don't worry about the nicotine in the tobacco at first give yourself time to heal and recover once you've gotten past this horrible feeling then you can start wearing about your diet nicotine intake. Have a sober and blessed day
Old 08-06-2015, 08:45 AM
  # 355 (permalink)  

Weekend upcoming is my time normally have drinks wether 2 or 8. Gotta get a snack plan together, then I won't drink. I'm thinking Funyuns, and chips/dip all weekend. Not healthy but I'm trying to be realistic. I'm no celery nibbler.
Lunch break today. Didn't sleep much , but happy I'm on day 4.
Old 08-06-2015, 10:09 AM
  # 356 (permalink)  

Day 17 for me. I too am an ex-smoker of 8 years now. I know I have a compulsive behavior so I think I replaced smoking with drinking. Now I got to stop drinking and NOT replace this with another bad habit.
I have a habit of not letting myself feel things too. Since I was young my life has been dysfunctional so I learned well how to guard myself to not let unwanted things in.
Btw, at what point do we make amends? How do we know when the time is right? I am not ok with a lot of people in my life right now. A lot of the people I have in my life are active drinkers and I believe not all our problems were 100% my fault. Probably showing how early I am in my recovery by saying that but I can't help that I feel this way. Help.
Old 08-06-2015, 10:22 AM
  # 357 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KeyofC View Post
Day 17 for me. I too am an ex-smoker of 8 years now. I know I have a compulsive behavior so I think I replaced smoking with drinking. Now I got to stop drinking and NOT replace this with another bad habit.
I have a habit of not letting myself feel things too. Since I was young my life has been dysfunctional so I learned well how to guard myself to not let unwanted things in.
Btw, at what point do we make amends? How do we know when the time is right? I am not ok with a lot of people in my life right now. A lot of the people I have in my life are active drinkers and I believe not all our problems were 100% my fault. Probably showing how early I am in my recovery by saying that but I can't help that I feel this way. Help.
Take your time on the amends, in AA some sponsors want you to take your time, others want to rush you to step eight. Remember you can't make amends to everyone. If it's something that could get you or them into trouble you'll just have to give that one to God. Good job on day 17.
Old 08-06-2015, 10:28 AM
  # 358 (permalink)  

Can I join you all please? Day 1. Last day 1, please God. Gotta figure out what to do differently this time around. I can't live like this anymore.
I've has some serious stuff going on with family and friends and as much as staying in a beer haze is slightly appealing I want to be fully here, happy and healthy for myself and my family.
Old 08-06-2015, 10:32 AM
  # 359 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ChickChick View Post
Can I join you all please? Day 1. Last day 1, please God. Gotta figure out what to do differently this time around. I can't live like this anymore.
I've has some serious stuff going on with family and friends and as much as staying in a beer haze is slightly appealing I want to be fully here, happy and healthy for myself and my family.
Yes please come join us. The more people the better the support for you and each other.
Old 08-06-2015, 10:35 AM
  # 360 (permalink)  

42 days

Hi I am currently 42 days sober have been drinking since I was about 13 . a bottle to bottle and a half a night unless with friends drinking than it even more. Been hiding glasses and bottles for the last several years . Have gained 20 plus pounds in the last 2 years. Just feel like crap the day after until I start up again around 4 or 5. I have been feeling so uch better since sober but very tired. I am going out with a drinking friend tonight and feeling a little worried but determined to stay on track. Reading these posts have been a great help to me.