Notices

Class of April 2015 Part 3

Old 04-28-2015, 09:41 PM
  # 241 (permalink)  

Morning all, day twenty three for me.
Old 04-28-2015, 10:51 PM
  # 242 (permalink)  

Welcome to newcomers and congratulations to all on milestones and those who have bravely fought off their AVs!

Had my in-laws round for dinner last night. I'm having problems at work and yesterday I put in an 11 hour shift. I'm feeling exhausted most of the time anyway as I'm not sleeping well. There was wine at the meal but I didn't struggle too much to get by without it. By the end of the evening I was exhausted, only to be told by my wife, "Well, you're not much fun to be around right now". What does she want? A marching band? Man, that was a real downer. Not sure she gets that this is really hard.

Day 9 here...
Old 04-28-2015, 11:24 PM
  # 243 (permalink)  

Feeling Happy!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image-3632275194.jpg (78.7 KB, 68 views)
Old 04-29-2015, 12:14 AM
  # 244 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by amp123 View Post
Welcome to newcomers and congratulations to all on milestones and those who have bravely fought off their AVs! Had my in-laws round for dinner last night. I'm having problems at work and yesterday I put in an 11 hour shift. I'm feeling exhausted most of the time anyway as I'm not sleeping well. There was wine at the meal but I didn't struggle too much to get by without it. By the end of the evening I was exhausted, only to be told by my wife, "Well, you're not much fun to be around right now". What does she want? A marching band? Man, that was a real downer. Not sure she gets that this is really hard. Day 9 here...
Hang in there AMP, the fatigue does pass and the energy levels get better. I can't remember what day it happened for me, will have to do a summary in my thread sometime.
Old 04-29-2015, 12:53 AM
  # 245 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ZaBoozer View Post
Hang in there AMP, the fatigue does pass and the energy levels get better. I can't remember what day it happened for me, will have to do a summary in my thread sometime.
Thanks ZaBoozer. Just went out for a run to clear my head and then reread what I wrote. I thought I was just venting some frustration but in retrospect this looks suspiciously like the beginnings of self-pity!! That's one of the most dangerous triggers there is down my street! Perhaps I just pre-emptied a new strategy from my AV! Feeling much more positive after the run. Must take note that physical exercise will lift my mood...
Old 04-29-2015, 01:18 AM
  # 246 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by amp123 View Post
I thought I was just venting some frustration but in retrospect this looks suspiciously like the beginnings of self-pity!! That's one of the most dangerous triggers there is down my street!.
Hi Amp yep same here...found out my AH who has just come out of rehab is now holidaying with his latest gf. Self pity, anger, bitterness, rage.... I could go on... bubbled up inside me fuelling the av. I am trying damn hard to not listen the beast. Back to the gym for me today...might try to find a boxercise class

Day 18 for and welcome to all newcomers...
Old 04-29-2015, 03:16 AM
  # 247 (permalink)  

Just checking in and saying high got past one sober day I hope I get past day two. Take care all and God bless
Old 04-29-2015, 03:27 AM
  # 248 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by martina12 View Post
Hi Amp yep same here...found out my AH who has just come out of rehab is now holidaying with his latest gf. Self pity, anger, bitterness, rage.... I could go on... bubbled up inside me fuelling the av. I am trying damn hard to not listen the beast. Back to the gym for me today...might try to find a boxercise class Day 18 for and welcome to all newcomers...
Sometimes physical exercise is the only way through...
Old 04-29-2015, 03:56 AM
  # 249 (permalink)  

Hi humbug, I'm on day 2 as well! Let's do this
Old 04-29-2015, 05:01 AM
  # 250 (permalink)  

Morning everyone. Just checking in. Looks like we are all doing ok.
Today will be a tough one for me. I have nothing going on and my husband won't be home tonight. I will stick close and probably post a lot so be prepared. I do not want to drink today
Old 04-29-2015, 05:20 AM
  # 251 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone!!
Man...already a whole bunch of awesomeness going on in here. Loving it!

Welcome newbs! Thanks for posting here and making us stronger. We need you as much as you need us. Bring on the posts...don't hold back!

Amp...you made me laugh with the marching band line. Self pity awareness, running...man, you really OWN this!

Today is 9 days sober, and my 10th promise not to drink today. None for me.
Old 04-29-2015, 05:30 AM
  # 252 (permalink)  

Thanks for the kind words Incontrol! Wish I really did "own this"!!! Either way I think it's positive to share our experiences. I don't always comment but I read everything that comes on this thread and have felt my resolve strengthened many times as I read how the rest of us muddle through those first meals out, work crises, train journeys....

Hearing about other peoples' triggers and strategies is helping me build on my own.

Thanks to all of you!
Old 04-29-2015, 05:54 AM
  # 253 (permalink)  

Btw, here's something that's been happening that maybe someone can help me with as I feel I'm probably the worst person in the world to give out advice right now.

I have a job running a language school. Recently one of the guys left and I needed to get a replacement really fast. A guy from New York was doing a bit of part time stuff for us so I asked him if he would like to step up. I know he really needed work so I wasn't surprised when he accepted. I spent a lot of extra time with him getting him up to speed and he was doing great. So great that on Monday 20th I set the date to give up booze as everything was quiet at work and my music job was also coming along very well.

Anyway, on that very day, he failed to show up. I was worried about him so I looked up his address on our records and drove over after work. Turns out that it was no ordinary house but a half-way place for people getting off the skids. As you can imagine, I'm totally not judgmental about anything like that but I was really surprised. I asked the director if he knew what had happened but he said this guy had just taken off. I tried to contact him by phone (switched off) and email but nothing. Then one of my colleagues saw him 2 days later really off his face in the street. I finally caught up with him yesterday. He's really disorientated and living rough. I phoned the half-way house but they say he's lost his place there now. I'm meeting him for coffee on Tuesday and I want to help him but there aren't too many agencies here in Spain that will pick someone up like that and he just burned his bridges at the only one I can think of. He just got paid for two weeks work so I told him to use the money to get off the street and try to get clean.

I feel, the way he is now, his life could be at stake. I really want to help but then I end up getting over-involved and I've got no idea what to advise. I have to think about myself right now but I also don't feel that I can just turn my back on this guy. I've been in some rough spots myself and I know what it means...

Please, any advice would be welcome...
Old 04-29-2015, 06:24 AM
  # 254 (permalink)  

Amp, you are an amazing soul! If you turned your back, you would never forget him. If you try to help, remember to set up some boundaries right away. It is a critical time in your life as well, and you are just as vulnerable. This can go so right, but it can also go so wrong! Its a tough one. Follow your heart, maybe he just needs a friend to talk to every once in a while, and that may be all you can give him right now.
Old 04-29-2015, 06:32 AM
  # 255 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CristinaN View Post
Today will be a tough one for me. I have nothing going on and my husband won't be home tonight. I will stick close and probably post a lot so be prepared. I do not want to drink today
Hey Christina! I will be checking in quite often today too, so maybe we can have each others backs! Have a good day, plan for your booze free night right now. Popcorn, movie, baking, spa night, girly tv night (I like Slice,TLC, HGTV!) anything that you enjoy doing.

Welcome to all the new comers, and congratulations! Another day sober is a great day!
Old 04-29-2015, 06:57 AM
  # 256 (permalink)  

The sun shines bright.
I didn't realize how dim alcohol filled eyes views the world.
Old 04-29-2015, 07:36 AM
  # 257 (permalink)  
Do your best

Your all doing really well
Old 04-29-2015, 07:55 AM
  # 258 (permalink)  

Good morning, classmates. And welcome to newcomers Lily, Kittycat, noexcuse, finallygotout, and mysunshine. You'll help make this an awesome class!

Day 11 here, and a good day it shall be.
Old 04-29-2015, 08:04 AM
  # 259 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FrankLapidas View Post
Good morning, classmates. And welcome to newcomers Lily, Kittycat, noexcuse, finallygotout, and mysunshine. You'll help make this an awesome class! Day 11 here, and a good day it shall be.
Good evening Frank. Congratulations on day eleven. Looking forward to your thread tonight mate.
Old 04-29-2015, 09:01 AM
  # 260 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

Originally Posted by CristinaN View Post
Morning everyone. Just checking in. Looks like we are all doing ok.
I soooo relate to this. Loved Cauliflower's ideas!!

Day 4 today for me. Really tempted to drink last night, but I didn't want to come here in the morning to say I failed. So, thank you class!!!