Notices

Class of April 2015 Part 3

Old 04-27-2015, 06:21 PM
  # 181 (permalink)  

Soooo true!
Great observation.

And ya know what? It seems like our spirit is the first to recover. As long as we accept the past for the past and there's nothing that can be done to change it. Let your spirit live in the now while you plan for tomorrow.

We have a choice to keep things the same, make them better, or make them worse.

At this stage in our lives, there are many things that will make them better. Lots of low hanging fruit you might say. Make those choices, take action, no matter how small, and next thing you know....things are better!

And that creates momentum. I would of never guessed in a million years I'd be better already. I'm not fantastic, but much better. More than I thought I would be after a few days, by far.

Take pride for your choice to be sober today.
That's a huge step to make things better
Old 04-27-2015, 08:26 PM
  # 182 (permalink)  

Day 3. I have less anxiety, which was a big reason why I drank. I never realized the drinking made it worse.

Peace to all today.
Old 04-27-2015, 09:13 PM
  # 183 (permalink)  

Morning all,

Day twenty two today.

Cheers,

ZAB
Old 04-27-2015, 10:25 PM
  # 184 (permalink)  

Welcome and welcome back to all those who have joined and rejoined since my last visit.

Beginning of day 4 for me. Got up, let the dog out, made a cup of tea, found dog had gone back to bed which sounded like a good idea to me so joined her. It's 6.10am and my alarm will go off in 45 mins so stopping to read the forums better and hopefully give more support than I usually have time for.

My son goes on a school trip today, back home Friday. They are going to a holiday park at the local beach resort where they will study for their upcoming exams during the day and use the funfair etc of an evening. We never had trips like that! Anyway, I am a little nervous of being on my own so early in my sobriety.

I have the AGM at our church tonight with 7 places free on the church council. I've been nominated but am not holding my breath as there are around 12 nominees. The traditionalists have nominated 7-8 other traditionalists and have been canvassing like there's no tomorrow. I'm far too liberal for their liking (they'd probably call me heathen) as I've stated I'll be at the front of the crowd with a box of confetti when the Church of England carries out it's first same sex wedding.

I know I have to have a plan in place for after the meeting as if what I expect to happen does happen then I will leave there very hacked off. Not because me personally wasn't elected but because there won't be a 'home' there for me anymore. My journey home will take me past shops with alcohol. And I'm not sure my will power is strong enough.

It's payday tomorrow (and another on Thursday) and I literally only have £10 until the morning. I'm tempted to go out and spend it on, well, anything today so I have no way of buying wine !

Apologies for another VW ramble!

Hope you all have a good day
Old 04-27-2015, 10:53 PM
  # 185 (permalink)  

Welcome to all newcomers. It's day 8 for me. Stay strong everyone!
Old 04-27-2015, 11:24 PM
  # 186 (permalink)  

Btw, I'm on day 8 and my sleeping patterns are all messed up. I feel terribly tired at night but then often can't get to sleep and then I'll wake up many times and be tossing and turning. Often very vivid dreams and nightmares. Is anyone else experiencing anything like this? Tired of feeling tired!!!!
Old 04-27-2015, 11:30 PM
  # 187 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's very common amp - it will get better tho - in time

D
Old 04-28-2015, 12:01 AM
  # 188 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee! Good to know that it's something that will improve with time...
Old 04-28-2015, 03:23 AM
  # 189 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Chadders View Post
Anyway - today I have decided that I'm going to quit the fags too.
I quit both 17 days ago...go for it Chadders you will feel so much better there is the nicotine thread on this forum that you can subscribe too if you want the extra support?

I have just got back from the gym...been going to a spin class which is fantastic. Its a real test of endurance and I find that I'm having to dig deep to keep up around the hair pin bends etc. Today the ride was through the Alps...OMG! Decided that I might actually get my bike out from under the tarpaulin where its been for the last 4 years
Hope everyone is doing ok and welcome to newcomers..together we can do
Old 04-28-2015, 04:49 AM
  # 190 (permalink)  

I have almost caved tonight. I've had bad back pain all day at work, I'm tired and tomorrow is a holiday. I needed a break from the pain and from the fear that it's an old, difficult problem coming back. I was of the opinion that a month is enough, proof so to speak that I can do it, and had made up my mind to buy a bottle of wine.

Luckily I had a sudden delay leaving work and grudgingly came straight home.

Well so much for my new found strength and (misplaced)-optimism.
Old 04-28-2015, 05:00 AM
  # 191 (permalink)  

Got some awesomeness going on in here today!

My sleep is a little wacked too. Way better than the racing heart while freaking out kind of insomnia. My mind is more alert and it's not shutting down to sleep. When I do fall asleep I have vivid dreams as well.

Been sleeping in later than I like. As a result I haven't hit the gym like I planned to last couple days. I'm getting lazy, and that's not good.

So today...no caffeine at all. And for my lunch break, I'm gonna take a walk.

Have a great day everyone.
Old 04-28-2015, 05:25 AM
  # 192 (permalink)  
OMD

Originally Posted by Midton View Post
I have almost caved tonight. I've had bad back pain all day at work, I'm tired and tomorrow is a holiday. I needed a break from the pain and from the fear that it's an old, difficult problem coming back. I was of the opinion that a month is enough, proof so to speak that I can do it, and had made up my mind to buy a bottle of wine.

Luckily I had a sudden delay leaving work and grudgingly came straight home.

Well so much for my new found strength and (misplaced)-optimism.
Just look at that as a lucky escape

You've done a month so you have nothing left to prove but maybe when you think about it, you might have a lot to lose if you start drinking again. I would happily bet you a bottle of San Pellegrino that for as long as you don't drink you will never wake up and wish you had got drunk last night. Don't be sad at not drinking - if it was that great you'd still be doing it, as much and as often as possible. I too have those feelings of sadness, especially when my drinking pals think I'm nuts, but I know deep down that it's nice just to have my sh-t together. Plus one of my biggest drinking mates just told me he admired what I've achieved so far. I suspect people would tell you that too. So maybe you're not missing that much really.

Good luck
OMD
Old 04-28-2015, 05:36 AM
  # 193 (permalink)  

Welcome DreaJean and Lillian. Be Who You Are. The enemy, "the booze, the dragon" will try to make us think we have to conform to the opinions of others. If we are secure in who God made us to be, then we can resist those outside demands and pressures that try to mold us into something we are not. The Dragon "AV" will mock us. Ask yourself; What am I willing to do to avoid temptation? We must renew our mind and learn to think differently. Renewing our mind leads to transformation. This total change is critical to our Sobriety and directly involves our Spirit. The renewing of our mind is metamorphosis like. Cut off the booze completely; start by removing the booze from your homes and avoid places that may lead to temptation. Day 24 here . . . Stay Sober my friends . . . Peace!
Old 04-28-2015, 08:21 AM
  # 194 (permalink)  

Hi All, just checking in on Day 8. At work and ready to get after it! I wish you all a peaceful, sober day.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:28 AM
  # 195 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

Good morning class!
Well, it's morning here anyway.

Midton, great choice you made. I know that was hard. OMD gave you some terrific advice I can't improve on. For both of you:

I read Dee to say one day (and I'm gonna botch it Dee, so sorry for the paraphrase), but as long as we think of alcohol as a salvation from bad stuff, we're always going to be struggling. Alcohol just makes things worse, not better.

Sleeping....woke up last night covered in sweat. Thought at first I was dreaming about George Clooney again. Just my body getting used to the new me I suppose. Catch up Lillian ~ things are gonna be great!

Hope you all have a lovely sober day today. I for one am grateful for the absence of a dull thudding headache.

Everyone has inside of him a piece of good news. The good news is that you don't know how great you can be! How much you can love! What you can accomplish! And what your potential is! ~ Anne Frank
Old 04-28-2015, 08:49 AM
  # 196 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SwimKim12 View Post
Hi All, just checking in on Day 8. At work and ready to get after it! I wish you all a peaceful, sober day.
Go for it!
I woke up not wanting to work or do anything for that matter. Day 9 for me. But some breakfast and a beautiful sunny day put me in the mood. I'm lucky...I get to spend all day outside. Well, driving around knocking on doors today.

Go get em.
Peace.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:49 AM
  # 197 (permalink)  

Checking in on Day 7! Yesterday I felt fuzzy and out of focus. The whole day slipped away from me, but at least I was sober! Today, my mood is lifted, and I am resolving to get everything organized. I don't like feeling like my surroundings, which is pretty darn messy. My office is a disaster, and my poor dog needs to go for a good long walk! So I am whipping up my green smoothy in my brand spanking new blender, jumping into the shower and going for a long walk. When I get back, I am cleaning my office and will start steering myself towards my goals which sat on the back burner for years! It feels good to clear the cobwebs and move forward again.

Have a wonderful day fellow Aprilians, I am so grateful to have you in my life and to know you are only a keystroke away!
Old 04-28-2015, 08:51 AM
  # 198 (permalink)  

Hi all. I know it's the tail end of April but I was hoping I could join this group. This will make day 1 for me.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:55 AM
  # 199 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by amp123 View Post
Btw, I'm on day 8 and my sleeping patterns are all messed up. I feel terribly tired at night but then often can't get to sleep and then I'll wake up many times and be tossing and turning. Often very vivid dreams and nightmares. Is anyone else experiencing anything like this? Tired of feeling tired!!!!
Amp, I've been feeling so tired too! I figure it's just our bodies telling us it needs time to heal. Fresh air is on my agenda today, and hopefully that will help me sleep better tonight.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:56 AM
  # 200 (permalink)  

Welcome Lily!