# 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

Class of April 2015 Part 3

last part here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-2-a-20.html

D
Old 04-24-2015, 04:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Here's a short term goal for all of us today. For one moment, one hour, just for today - let's stay sober! For me, just because it's Friday will be a nice goal to accomplish. We can do this, there is absolutely no reason any of us need to pick up today. Stay Sober my friends. Peace!
Old 04-24-2015, 04:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

Ah, a fresh new thread! Another goal: stay sober for the next 500 posts on this thread.
Old 04-24-2015, 05:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jazzfish View Post
Ah, a fresh new thread! Another goal: stay sober for the next 500 posts on this thread.
Sounds like a good goal, Jazzfish! I'll join you on that if that's ok
Old 04-24-2015, 05:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I like both goals! Excellent.

I know I can do 1hr. I'm in.

Pretty sure I can do today. Im in.

Think I can do 500 posts. I'm in. I'll be posting even more to hurry it along.

This is great. Thank you guys. I'm going to spend this weekend writing out all my major issues that require my attention and breaking them down into bite size pieces. You have no idea how much you just helped me.
Old 04-24-2015, 05:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well done Incontrol! Let's go for this!!!
Old 04-24-2015, 05:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Thanks for the new thread D
Old 04-24-2015, 05:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Think about it... No human law has us confined to drink. By God's Grace we are set free! Now those are true gifts.
Old 04-24-2015, 05:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good Morning Class and nice intro posts into the new, continued thread.

Day 4 for me. Been awhile since I made a day 4. Not feeling anxious at the moment but being Friday I can hear the AV starting to awake. Staying strong and staying on here
Old 04-24-2015, 07:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good Morning Class, Day 6 for me and I feel happy to be alive!

I must say, yesterday was the worst day I have ever had at work. Without going into too much detail, I got chewed out by a figure of high authority for defending a client in what I felt was the right thing to do. I still felt like it was the right thing to do. My boss defended me. It did not stop the anxiety though.

I realize that, even as a 29 year old adult, I hate to be told (1) you did something WRONG; or (2) I do not like you. I know its impossible to prevent those things from happening, but even as a little girl, I hated being told I did something wrong. I took it so personally, like it minimized my self worth. Not sure how I came to associate those two. I also know- from a therapist- that I associate doing bad things with being a bad person. It doesn't dawn on me that I am a good person who makes bad mistakes sometimes. I struggle with these things.

I will admit, I WANTED a drink, but my logic kicked in and said "it's only going to make things worse." So I got home from work, took my dogs for a jog around the neighborhood, made myself a club soda and fruit drink, cooked a delicious meal and danced to Frank Sinatra, Smokey Robinson, and Gladys Knight and the Pips. The best part? I slept well and feel like I can survive today.

One day at a time. God Bless.
Old 04-24-2015, 07:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

If you can get through a day like that then you must be on the right track!! Good for you!!!
Old 04-24-2015, 07:55 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm in, but I'm already tired of letting you guys down, so I'm not saying anything until I manage to hit day 30. I don't want to be that guy who's indefinitely on day 2 or 3.
Old 04-24-2015, 08:33 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TroyW View Post
I'm in, but I'm already tired of letting you guys down, so I'm not saying anything until I manage to hit day 30. I don't want to be that guy who's indefinitely on day 2 or 3.
This is why I am here.
I made promises to myself that I wouldn't drink for the day. I made it a day maybe 2.

There was even a day when I reluctantly posted a day 1 but I had an issue with the computer and it didn't post. I was drinking shortly after that.

Either you want to stop or you don't.
If you do, believe that it's easier with support and you have a much better chance at succeeding.

Look at all the posts of people coming back after days, weeks, months, years. You're not alone. You'll see a common denominator in those posts...they stopped posting.

It's a choice. Choose to drink all day forever and destroy your life or kill yourself, or choose not to drink and live the rest of your life in control.

Choose to quit. Don't choose to destroy your life.

I don't know if you've f'd up your life as much as I have yet. If not...it's coming, I assure you. Maybe your stubborn like me and need to find your rock bottom before you realize how destructive alcohol can be. But I do know one thing...you KNOW the path that drinking leads you on is NOT good.

Join us on the path of sobriety. It has a killer hill to climb, but the destination is waaay better. Even though the destination is out of sight many times, you know it's there if you make the right turns.

Right now, you're ignoring the signs telling you where to go. You're AV is telling you it knows a shortcut.
Old 04-24-2015, 08:35 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
nmd

Originally Posted by TroyW View Post
You're not letting us down, we're all here for each other success or otherwise. Sorry you are having a rough time, but don't let the bottle talk you into hiding.
Old 04-24-2015, 08:38 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Huge step for me today seeing the counselor. I almost cried in relief when I was told I qualify for free counseling due to my financial condition. I get to see a counselor every other week and a psychiatrist as well!! I may even qualify for free meds that I had stopped when I lost my health insurance / job.

Huge relief. I'm taking baby steps and this one was a leap.

Feels good being in Control.
Old 04-24-2015, 08:44 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
nmd

Originally Posted by amp123 View Post
Is anyone getting the "it's a shame you can't be normal and just have a social drink like everybody else" stuff from their partner?

...I guess drinking just wears everybody down... Guess I'm lucky to still have her despite it all.
Not directly, but when a "normal" drinking situation arises, she will ask if I want a beer (despite having talked to her about quitting).

Our alcoholic antics do wear them down. We our unreliable, unstable, and very demanding. Our alcoholic life tends to dominate everything and slowly everyone involved becomes sucked in. I think most partners either become shattered shells of their former selves, or they become fed-up and move on to a normal life they deserve.
Same thing for me for my last go around in September 2014. After a couple months, she came around and respected for my decision not to drink. My undoing to start drinking again was my own.

It takes a while for people to adapt to changes and trust us if we've had a habit in the past of saying we would do something then didn't follow through.
It's not easy at first, but its worth the rewards I think.
Old 04-24-2015, 09:22 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GirlGoneBad View Post
I got chewed out by a figure of high authority for defending a client in what I felt was the right thing to do. I still felt like it was the right thing to do. My boss defended me. It did not stop the anxiety though. I realize that, even as a 29 year old adult, I hate to be told (1) you did something WRONG; or (2) I do not like you. I know its impossible to prevent those things from happening, but even as a little girl, I hated being told I did something wrong. I took it so personally, like it minimized my self worth
GGB...I think I know exactly what you feel.
The job I had before was like that. I did very well (for 15 of the 20yrs I was there anyway). I had to make difficult decisions all the time. I always had support of my immediate supervisor and he was a good consultant when needed. There was a shift in upper mgt and we ended up working for an a-hole. He was one of those people who manage by fear. Nothing was ever good enough. If a bad decision was made, or something wasn't done well enough, he would publicly humiliate. I was the receiving end of that several times. Totally tore down my confidence, and has a small role in my addiction patterns. Not him...my addiction was my reaction to him. Well, again, that was just part of my problems.

I sincerely congratulate you for not drinking last night!!! That is totally awesome. You are right, it would of made you feel worse in the long run.

GREAT JOB!!!
Old 04-24-2015, 09:23 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hello, I am new here. I posted this on another thread but it may help me more to post my updates and questions here: Today is day 3. I woke up feeling fantastic after a wonderful sleep! Wow! I am feeling a bit achy today, but will drink tons of water to help flush out any toxins. Yesterday evening I arrived home after a school function (no alcohol anywhere, it was safe!) and my first thought upon walking in the house was time for a glass of wine...it's just so ingrained in my brain that once I am home for the night, its wine time. I don't have wine in the house anyways. So other then that little thought it was ok.

When did you guys stop constantly thinking about drinking and not drinking. It seems to consume my thoughts. I try meditation, which works for a while. Every thought seems to have alcohol attached in one shape or another. I think of a friend and my thoughts go to wondering if I can hang with her and not share a bottle of wine, I think of a family event coming up and the anxiety builds up about how I am going to not take that glass of wine. Bringing myself back to the present moment over and over again is exhausting.
Old 04-24-2015, 10:21 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I just got off the phone with the husband and he told me that we are attending two socials tomorrow in addition to our hockey wind up party. OMG! I am freaking out. My AV thought was great, I can have a drink! OMG.
Old 04-24-2015, 10:30 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Cauliflower feel free to post as much as you like

Congrats Incontrol on the counselling

You can do it troy were all here in this together my friend

(((((GGB)))))

Hello Goose, Amp, Nmd, Halfvictory & Jazzfish