Notices

Class of November 2014 Part 6

Old 12-26-2014, 08:12 AM
  # 121 (permalink)  

Checking in. Had a great Christmas at the Legoland. On our way back. Visiting the Coke factory at Atlanta. Will taste the coke from all over the world. I guess better than a scotch distillery
Old 12-26-2014, 10:50 AM
  # 122 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Checking in too. I don't think it was an especially good Christmas, but there have been worse lol. Plus, I'm now addicted to trivia crack! Currently in the middle of games with both my sons, both my daughters, 2 of my nieces and my eldest daughters bf plus a random person. We played at Christmas Eve dinner, continued all night, yesterday and into the night and...I'm waiting for my turn now . I think I need a nap.

61 days for me I think .
Old 12-26-2014, 11:57 AM
  # 123 (permalink)  

Having a good day playing with all of Santas goodies. It's sunny and 40's here too! Did some bubbles outside.

Day 27...
Old 12-26-2014, 05:46 PM
  # 124 (permalink)  

Thinking of everyone! Big hugs. Check in no matter what day y'all are on!
Old 12-26-2014, 06:56 PM
  # 125 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,

I've had a lovely 3 days off the grid. No phone or internet, just bush, HEAT, March flies, friends, HEAT and food. Did I mention March flies? lol. I'm definitely a towny and am loving being home where the roads are paved and the mosquitos are tamed I really enjoyed my time away, and I'm very grateful to the besty for looking after me so well and giving me her time, humour and insight. We also played all the good old carols on guitar and violin.

Returned home about an hour ago to some unwelcome and not very nice texts and fb messages from some people. Trying to draw me into their drama and chaos, but I was blissfully ignorant of this for 3 days which I am thankful for. I received a lot of beautiful messages too, to put things in perspective.

I've had a quick read through, and now that I'm back in town I will once again become an active member of the thread. I wish you all peace and love. Merry Xmas, by the way
Old 12-26-2014, 07:19 PM
  # 126 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back TEC

D
Old 12-26-2014, 07:34 PM
  # 127 (permalink)  

Dog in the tuckerbox.JPG

Never posted a pic here before, so let's see if this works.

This is our Northern Territory take on the famous Aussie 'Dog on the tuckerbox' - 'Blue Heeler in the esky'.
Old 12-26-2014, 08:01 PM
  # 128 (permalink)  

Ok guys, now that I'm back online and in town I am being forced to process a few things. Just trying to sort it out in my head, so I'm posting some here to help get me started. Thanks in advance!

I was able to borrow a satellite phone on xmas day, and I rang my father. I like my Dad, and we had an easy conversation for 5 minutes or so. Covered all the basics. That was the first time I had made any contact with any of my family for over a year.

I thought about ringing my Mum (parents divorced 20 years with total estrangement), but the truth is I really didn't want to disturb my sober time out bush and upset myself. Mum's an alcoholic and she is continuing chemo for breast cancer. I have not been there for her at all, I ran away from any involvement completely the last time we spoke on the phone, I think about 15 months ago. Harsh words then on her part, and I am the queen of avoiding confrontation at all costs. I haven't troubled my family with my problems for about 10 years now; I am simply not there.

Glad I spoke to Dad. Folks are both 70 now, her with cancer and him a survivor of 3 open heart surgeries. I know I have to bite the bullet regarding contact with Mum and brothers or I will likely live to regret it.

Pretty sure my brothers are both alcoholic too; no contact with them for over a year. I have nothing in common with them except the womb we were grown in. I feel some detached sort of guilt at these feelings, but that's all.

Sorry If that's a bit heavy! Thanks for letting me vent. Peace out
Old 12-26-2014, 08:08 PM
  # 129 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TopEndChick View Post
Pretty sure my brothers are both alcoholic too; no contact with them for over a year. I have nothing in common with them except the womb we were grown in. I feel some detached sort of guilt at these feelings, but that's all.
Oh guys, anyone else see the glaring contradiction there? You're helping me already and you haven't even done anything.

Old 12-26-2014, 11:10 PM
  # 130 (permalink)  

Nice to see you back online top end. Sounds like good progress eh? Good stuff....
Old 12-26-2014, 11:17 PM
  # 131 (permalink)  

Nice to see you back online top end. Sounds like good progress eh? Good stuff....
Old 12-27-2014, 02:45 AM
  # 132 (permalink)  

Morning everyone, welcome back TEC.
Erratic where are you?
Anybody got anything good planned for the weekend? I'm going for a run, just recently started running again , it's, as killer but fantastic for stress. I need to burn off some of the sugar I've been eating recently, it's great to just pig out sometimes but if I gain weight it makes me feel awful and is a bad trigger for sobriety.
Old 12-27-2014, 02:53 AM
  # 133 (permalink)  
Say cheese!

Morning all checking in day 1 for me.

Not sure what to say just now. I hope u all are doing ok? I'm happy to be back even its day 1. Xxx so let the new year start on a sober one xx
Old 12-27-2014, 05:40 AM
  # 134 (permalink)  

Welcome back erratic.

Just checking in real quick. I'm going to go back and read posts now.

Way to go team.
Old 12-27-2014, 05:58 AM
  # 135 (permalink)  

Welcome back TEC and Erratic; missed you guys!

Peace, that's great that you're running. I wish I had your motivation, because I know it would be so good for me.

Well, despite my best efforts yesterday, my house is still a total wreck. We have plans to do the whole tourist thing today with my parents and brother's family, which sounds OK but I'd rather stay at home and get organized. If I mention that to my husband, he will guilt me into going...that's a guarantee...but I kind of understand because it is my family.

I'm realizing that I really hate confrontation, too. My aunt said something to me last year when we were talking about my mom's drinking (which is rare). She said, "when conflicts come up, I argue my point. Your mom pours a glass of wine." I realized that she was right, and I sometimes do the same thing.
Old 12-27-2014, 06:38 AM
  # 136 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by josharon View Post
I'm realizing that I really hate confrontation, too.
We are not wrong or alone in our longing for a peaceful life without confrontation. Millions of people all over the world
Old 12-27-2014, 08:31 AM
  # 137 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, the board has been quiet these past days which is to be expected I suppose. I had a great few days with family and hanging out with my sons. My AV was pretty active but I didn't drink. A few more days holiday and then back to the real world. Stay strong everyone.
Old 12-27-2014, 09:45 AM
  # 138 (permalink)  

ubnt, it's great to hear from you. I'm glad to hear you're enjoying your holiday.

I'm still digging out of the Christmas mess, and I just went downstairs to talk to my mom. Sure enough, she is sipping on a small kiddie glass of wine and ice. Part of me wants to be horrified, the other part of me wants to drink it. I won't.
Old 12-27-2014, 10:33 AM
  # 139 (permalink)  

Hey Jo, yes it sounds like you had a busy one also. Pleased to hear that and also that you not giving the AV a merry Xmas. Stay tough and try to rest also....
Old 12-27-2014, 01:05 PM
  # 140 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Hi TEC... Sounds like your holiday was good for you! Is that your dog? My opinion is try to mend ties with your mother. I have never regretted biting the bullet, or my tongue, and trying to patch things up with her after a tumultuous teenage period where I moved out and she wouldn't speak to me. If I hadn't, we wouldn't have had the relationship we had as I was an adult and becoming a mother myself. Neither did I regret driving 10 hours straight, by myself in the middle of the night to say goodbye to my dying father. We had a good relationship but he wasn't much of a talker. I went knowing even if he could talk, he wouldn't. I went anyway. Unless it's detrimental to your health, wellbeing and safely I would try with your mom & brothers.