Notices

Class of November 2014 Part 6

Old 12-22-2014, 04:35 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I haven't taken Zoloft 11 stars. My experience with anti depressants is limited to Prozac and Endep which I currently use for nerve pain. I've had some success with belly breathing and other breathing techniques for anxiety tho Breathing Exercises It's hard to get into them when you're anxious and the chest is tight but the more you practice them the easier it gets D
Thanks I practice that too. Dr ordered a script of zoloft "in case I wanted to try it". Not sure.
Old 12-22-2014, 04:37 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Administrator

I didn't much enjoy prozac in the 90s but Endep has been fine for me.
I hope others who have experience of zoloft will be along.

You could also post in the main forum.

D
Old 12-22-2014, 05:48 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Another day completed with success.

Dee thanks for the breathing link, will check it out later. Too tired to do anything other than hit the bed. I am really enjoying my new self, I hope I can continue, I want to.

Goodnight.
Old 12-22-2014, 06:00 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I've taken 50mg of Zoloft for 11 years. It has helped me tremendously (although less so when I drink, duh!)
Old 12-22-2014, 06:36 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

I'm following the discussion on zoloft and anxiety with interest. Thanks for the input.

I've figured out what to do for xmas. My besty lives south of me, in a fairly remote part of the Northern Territory called Marrakai. She is coming to pick me up tomorrow and I'll spend a few days out there with them. We may go to Kakadu National Park for a day trip whilst I'm there. It's incredible out there, I lived there for 2 years. How lucky am I to live 2 1/2 hours drive from one of the seven wonders, and to have my wonderful supportive friend with me I'm feeling very grateful. Hope you're all ok!
Old 12-22-2014, 06:46 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

TEC, that sounds awesome! Have fun.
Old 12-22-2014, 06:48 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Thanks josharon I'll be sure to watch out for crocs - They're on the move at this time of year I love this special part of the world!
Old 12-22-2014, 06:55 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 11Stars View Post
ubn, TEC, awayshope, everyone! I feel your struggles! Anxiety is a major part of this. We talk about riding the urge wave or urge surfing but I feel like it's anxiety surfing. Has anyone taken zoloft? Does it help? Dee maybe you know? Thanks.... xoxox
I have not tried zoloft, but my daughter is on it for depression, and it has worked very well for that for her. It is supposed to be helpful for anxiety, based on conversations had with our prescribers. Prozac was not good for my anxiety, and after that went badly, I had to wean onto something i tolerated and then weaned off of that. I was too tired with anything i tried. But, i was also not sober back then. I cannot say the meds had a fair chance, not did I.

What has helped the most for me, is better health, exercise, and sobriety(and failing that, much less drinking than i did back then.) Drinking can cause much anxiety.
Old 12-22-2014, 06:56 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

I had not heard of the tragedy in Glasgow. What an awful tragedy.
Old 12-22-2014, 07:51 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

I'm very saddened about the news from Glasgow too. Senseless. I would like to share the following excerpt, hope that's ok Dee.

Compassion exercise

Honesty with yourself leads to compassion for others.
Objective: To increase the amount of compassion in the world.

Expected Result: A personal sense of peace.

Instructions
This exercise can be done anywhere that people congregate (airports, malls, parks, beaches, etc.). It should be done on strangers, unobtrusively, from some distance. Try to do all five steps on the same person.

Step 1 With attention on the person, repeat to yourself: “Just like me, this person is seeking some happiness for his/her life.”

Step 2 With attention on the person, repeat to yourself: “Just like me, this person is trying to avoid suffering in his/her life.”

Step 3 With attention on the person, repeat to yourself: “Just like me, this person has known sadness, loneliness, and despair.”

Step 4 With attention on the person, repeat to yourself: “Just like me, this person is seeking to fulfill his/her needs.”

Step 5 With attention on the person, repeat to yourself: “Just like me, this person is learning about life.”

Variation:
1. To be done by couples and family members to increase understanding of each other.

2. To be done on old enemies and antagonists still present in your memories.

3. To be done on other life forms.

I hope some of you get something from this. I have been trying to exercise this whenever I can since I discovered it, a couple of years ago. I find it helps with my anxiety.
Old 12-22-2014, 08:00 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Administrator

No worries TEC - enjoy your break

D
Old 12-23-2014, 12:31 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

TEC that sounds like a great plan for christmas!

I am thinking of going skiing over new years with friends who don't drink so much. They probably will on new years eve, but other than that, it will be skiing, bathing in the frozen lakes and hot chocolate. Just what I need.

Sorry to hear there are some of us having a hard time right now. But you're right, Dee, it only lasted one day this time.

Stay strong everyone!
Old 12-23-2014, 03:34 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

I like your plan and that exercise TEC.

Just checking in this morning. Two more exciting days of work. Really that's fine with me. Hope you are all doing well, and please do check in if you need support.
Old 12-23-2014, 05:47 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Erratic View Post
I'm checking in but will say I won't be posting until Boxing Day that will be my day 1. Sry for letting u all down. I'm looking for a new year sober one.

Congrats on every ones achievements so fat and sry again. I will read but won't be posting until I can say my day 1.

Huggles all and merry Xmas xxx
Stick with us Erratic, these are the Super Bowl of Sober days! We can do it
Old 12-23-2014, 05:51 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dallow View Post

I still feel like I'm sinking in the mud of life - but I didn't press pause today. I didn't drink. Day 13.
Great job Dallow, glad you didn't hit pause
I totally get this, I can play back so many times that I included alcohol, it makes me sad but what is done is done, the best I can do now is move it forward sober.
Thanks for this post.
Old 12-23-2014, 06:09 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Hi all it has been busy and I needed to make sure I logged on this am, today will be the hurdle day for me. FIL thought he was being helpful by bringing over more beer and wine, all the good stuff I like, family arriving for the holidays today so tonight when I get home it will be the total festive atmosphere. I WILL NOT DRINK TONIGHT! I just needed to reinforce this in me! Once I get through tonight I know I will be good until everyone goes home, and then I need to make sure complacency doesn't sink in like it did for Thanksgiving! I can do this, I am strong. I owe myself and my kids and Wife a better Christmas than being hungover! Okay, thanks for letting me get that out! I'll be checking in, stay strong everyone, like I said above, these are the Super Bowl of sober days!!
Old 12-23-2014, 06:10 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Dallow, I swear I can relate to everything you post.

It's a gray, drizzly morning here and I'm definitely feeling "meh." The good news is that I have no meetings scheduled today, so I plan to stay connected to work while I wrap presents, organize the house, plan the holiday menus, and do laundry. My parents are coming today, but with the exception of Christmas brunch we won't have a house full of people. That's just fine with me!

How is everyone doing? I'm doing pretty well with my sobriety right now, although I am bracing for tonight because it's going to be tough.
Old 12-23-2014, 06:12 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

LOL Magellan, "the Super Bowl of sober days." You can stay strong. Are you hedging when it comes to your family and sobriety? I know I am. If I told my FIL not to bring me any alcohol, believe me, he wouldn't! But if I was iffy, all bets would be off.
Old 12-23-2014, 06:38 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by josharon View Post
LOL Magellan, "the Super Bowl of sober days." You can stay strong. Are you hedging when it comes to your family and sobriety? I know I am. If I told my FIL not to bring me any alcohol, believe me, he wouldn't! But if I was iffy, all bets would be off.
no hedging going on, he is close to 90 and pretty much does what he wants or thinks he should do, gotta love him!!!
I'm surprised he didn't drive to OBX and pick up Weeping Radish Christmas Beer, he probably thought about it but the weather most likely stopped him
I guess he still has time, but I'm pretty resolved (right now) and needed to make sure I saw "do not drink" in print.
Old 12-23-2014, 07:11 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Checking in. Day 58... I'm going to hit 2 months on Christmas . I've been up and walking around the house all weekend with no crutches and no boot. Before you send congratulations... I am not supposed to be lol. And my foot still hurts just the same as before the surgery . I'm on my way to PT now so will check back later on.

I don't have cable so don't follow the news by choice. Sorry about the Glasgow tragedy.

Sorry for everyone that's struggling today. Hang in, stay vigilant, aware and open to asking for help.