Notices

Class of November 2014 Part 6

Old 01-05-2015, 01:38 AM
  # 321 (permalink)  

Gypsy I wanted to post earlier but needed to think and reread your post, it is a very powerful reminder of our own mortality and I hope that I earn that love and peacefulness in my life. It was great that you were there for your friend. ((Hug))
Old 01-05-2015, 03:17 AM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Hi all, checking in. Today is Day 1. Applekat posted that I haven't been mentioning sobriety in my posts, and that's because there's been very little of it in the evenings since Christmas. I know what I need to do, it's a matter of just doing it. I feel very strong sitting here with my coffee, as I always do. The tough part for me will come after work, when I "need" to go to the grocery store and "somehow end up" with wine in my cart. However, now that school is back in session I have to be present for my kids and their homework. I'll be checking in for accountability later, especially when I get home from work, to report that I made it through the late-afternoon gauntlet wine-free. Thanks for listening.
Old 01-05-2015, 03:49 AM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Ah welcome back Jo. Can you shop in bulk at the weekend to avoid having to go during the week?
Old 01-05-2015, 04:03 AM
  # 324 (permalink)  

Hi Josharon it's good you are back I second Ubn's idea of bulk shopping at weekend and maybe you could try to come up with something as a treat to do on a nightly basis, I know that can be really hard with kids to schedule in time for yourself ( mine has flown the nest a couple of years ago at University now) so even something really simple like a read of a new book in the bath once they are in bed can be something to look forward to.
Old 01-05-2015, 05:03 AM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Agreed, Jo -- let's find you some new rewards! The old ones are not going to work this year.

Gypsy, that sounds like a very powerful moment. It's wonderful that your friend's father got to leave this world surrounded by the people who love him.
(and sorry you got to see the whiny ex).

Well, back to work today. Should be very busy. I hope you all have a safe and sober day!!

Monday morning check-in!!!
Old 01-05-2015, 05:21 AM
  # 326 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Peacehappyness View Post
Hi Josharon it's good you are back I second Ubn's idea of bulk shopping at weekend and maybe you could try to come up with something as a treat to do on a nightly basis, I know that can be really hard with kids to schedule in time for yourself ( mine has flown the nest a couple of years ago at University now) so even something really simple like a read of a new book in the bath once they are in bed can be something to look forward to.
A good novel, a hot bath, and sometimes aspirin, is what is helping me unwind in the evenings after a stressful day. I'm not working right now, so I don't have many stressful days, but I have had full time jobs most of my adult life. I think the problem with working full time and managing a household is that every day is stressful. In addition to ubn's idea of bulk shopping, I have found that cooking large amounts of food on weekends leaves plenty of leftovers to take the pressure off early in the week. By Thursday, my husband and I would just go out to dinner at a local casual restaurant. I keep frozen pizza around for nights I am too busy or otherwise don't want to be bothered with dinner.
Old 01-05-2015, 05:30 AM
  # 327 (permalink)  

Good morning. On my way to work. Surprisingly no meetings today, but hundreds if emails to go through and clean up the inbox. 748 unread emails no time to think about alcohol, a good thing.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:01 AM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Catching up, lots of great posts the last few days. We had a weekend away for a family baptism. It was fun, but tiring. Kids are back to school today and I am happy to get back to routines. Planning lots of healthful cooking and eating, exercise and creative hobbies in the new year.

I will not drink today. (or tonight, for that matter)
Old 01-05-2015, 09:12 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Proud of ya, Jo. Day 1 is better than day zeros right!!

Back to the grind here with preschools and no hubby. Back to a zone defense with the kids.
Old 01-05-2015, 09:13 AM
  # 330 (permalink)  

I will not drink today!
Old 01-05-2015, 09:16 AM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Applekat View Post
I will not drink today!
Me neither Applecat X
Old 01-05-2015, 09:21 AM
  # 332 (permalink)  

I try to think longer term often - like where do I want to be in 3 months? Well, 3 more months sober! Healthier, happier, more rested...etc. Longer term benefits - eye on the prize!

But some days ya just gotta back up and say I won't drink today..and take it from there.
Old 01-05-2015, 06:51 PM
  # 333 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Checking in. Still feeling sadness, and empathy for my friend. It brought back a flood of memories as we've been friends forever. Her brother was my first grade school love. She & I lived together for a short while and we stayed apart for a longer while. Partied. A. Lot. I've been sober for the most part of the past 10 years while she has struggled with it. I was sober the other day while everyone else was smoking, and having a few beers. I wasn't even tempted. The thought did not even cross my mind as an option. Still, the memories are mostly good ones. Her father's passing brought back the recent passing of my own father back in March. My brother & I were there. Brothers gf, my father's gf and some of her family. My sister & other brother couldn't make it to NC but for the most part it was similar... Surrounded by family but in a hospital.

Anyway... Sober 71 days today and thinking about what's important in my life. Planning on teaching on Friday. Getting my mind set, hoping body follows .
Old 01-05-2015, 07:53 PM
  # 334 (permalink)  

You sound in a good place here gypsy, 71 days is obviously great, foot healing, cravings at bay. Great stuff.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:02 PM
  # 335 (permalink)  

This will sound weird but I am not sure if I am finding it tough at the moment or not. On one hand the cravings are not bad and I am not really that tempted to drink at the moment. As an example, I finished work a little early yesterday around 4pm, had no important meetings this morning, am in the good books at home so all the ingredients were there to go straight to the pub and have a blowout. This would have been a 3 bottles of wine and a couple of beers session for sure a few months ago. Instead I went to a coffee shop for a couple of hours and then home. In between dinner, playing with my son and bedtime stories I spent my evening posting on this site and reading the Caroline Knapp book on drinking.

Its kind of a weird feeling, I feel like something is missing. I am not irritable, and can relax and read and sleep well now. I am good with my family and happy and very clear headed and in good humour. But feel like something is missing. The rush of getting drunk? Maybe. The time down the bar? Maybe. The drunken camaraderie? Maybe. Its not correct to say I am bored because I am not but it all feels a little too easy if that makes any sense. I feel like I need something to happen or something to get stuck into. I feel like I want to keep what I have but shake up something to give me a challenge.

Anyway I am reading and posting heavily on the site and reading and hope to attend another AA meeting later this week. Day 24 and 52 days into recovery. its really starting to feel like this is here to stick now.
Old 01-06-2015, 12:52 AM
  # 336 (permalink)  
Say cheese!

I'm back I'm struggling with the 3rd day hurdle so I will make sure I come here for support It's day 1 again for me.

Good job on everyone achievements on there sober days xxxx

Hope u have a good day. Will check in later xx
Old 01-06-2015, 03:09 AM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, been a while since I posted as I went on a pretty big bender for a few weeks, not proud of it but was at my wife's work xmas do on the 12th Dec and they had messed up our table arrangements. As a sorry the restaurant put about 20 bottles of free wine on the tables. The others started cajoling me to have a drink, I said I was driving but as my wife is pregnant and therefore sober they kept on that my wife could drive....what can I say....I broke and caved to the pressure. My problem is once that first drink passed my lips on the 12th I didn't sober up until the 31st Dec when I quit again. I must have smashed my liver to bits over those 3 weeks. I know it can't continue, my wife has said it has to be the last bender as she can't have me like that around our baby, she said if I do it when we have a new born she will leave.

Baby due any day now so have the added incentive of being on call to drive my wife to hospital. I'm thinking new born baby means no drinking situations for the foreseeable which is good. I don't struggle too hard when it's just me at home it's when I get into the drinking situations like the Xmas party.

Anyway I'm on day 7 now and feeling OK, excited about the future and content.
Old 01-06-2015, 03:21 AM
  # 338 (permalink)  

Hi all, thank you SO MUCH for your helpful words of encouragement. I was really busy yesterday, which was a good thing. However, I didn't sleep well last night, coughing a bit, so I'm very tired right now. The good news is that it's finally snowing! I was really hoping for a school delay, but no such luck.
Old 01-06-2015, 04:14 AM
  # 339 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hello Class of November passing by to wish everyone a good day/evening

Stay awesome
Old 01-06-2015, 04:57 AM
  # 340 (permalink)  

The very best of good luck with the birth MM. I know you will be fair to your wife.