Notices

Class of August 2014 Part 6

Old 09-20-2014, 08:41 PM
  # 461 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Applekat View Post
Team August....I was quiet today and tonight while planning and executing the surprise birthday for MIL. Lots of beer and wine served....but I am so happy to report I had sparkling waters and juices all evening. I am officially closing out day 33. Holy.moly. In awe. And also in awe of everyone who made it through the day with noisy AVs. Grateful...proud of you especially!! Proud of you all. Big hugs. Sleep well.
Woah doggies APPLE. Look at you rockin! Very proud of you.
Old 09-20-2014, 11:58 PM
  # 462 (permalink)  

Good morning from London!

Here I am before 8am and here is my determined99 challenge post !

I feel great this morning to be sober and clear headed and very grateful.

I have opened all the windows and the balcony door - not because this is essential to counter waves of sickness but because it's great to feel the fresh air.

I don't have any memories of hurting myself or others last night. In fact I have memories ! - of an AA meeting, of watching TV and of posting on SR

I haven't checked my phone in a blind panic for drunken texts and calls. In fact, I probably won't look at it until I leave to go out in a couple of hours. Anything to do with the 'blast from the past' can wait, I am over it by posting.

I have used the bathroom for a shower instead of to hug the toilet pan.

I am able to watch TV in bed for a while and take in what is being said.

I genuinely care what SR peeps have been up to and log in to look for you all and what's going on - rather than 'poor me, I am hungover, the world owes me one'

I don't feel like a small animal died in my mouth overnight - not to be dehydrated is wonderful!

I am planning my day instead of agonising over what time it would be socially acceptable to have an alcoholic drink, with whom and where. Instead I am planning where is the best place for coffee!

This feels good! Ready for a top drawer day!
Old 09-21-2014, 12:01 AM
  # 463 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats to everyone working through the weekend and hitting those milestones

D
Old 09-21-2014, 02:05 AM
  # 464 (permalink)  

Morning Team.

Grateful - No judgement here. Any music that you can dance and feel great to is awe..no wait.. top drawer!

Blackbird - hmmmm cheesecake. always always good.

Calichris - Congratulations on the big 40. Well done!

Dingo - That sounds amazing! I’d love to find a job to work with animals. Keep us posted!

Apple - HOORAY for making through the birthday party and for the awesome Mr T picture, thank you!

London - Thank you for sharing that. The panicked text checking made me laugh because it’s all too true. I’m very thankful for my memories of last night.

Today is global campaign against climate change day, so I’ll be joining my local climate march later (instead of staying in bed all day campaigning against my hangover)

Have a great day all!
Old 09-21-2014, 02:08 AM
  # 465 (permalink)  

Good Morning from Peterborough!

im up and about whilst the other half is snoozing - first time ever! so determind I accept your challenge of positivity:

im so grateful for waking up and feeling awake, not having to take time to adjust to reality, no hazy head, no nausea, not aching everywhere and having to stumble to the fridge to grab an ice cold coke to 'rehydrate' myself with caffeine to get going again.

I have the oven warming ready to bake us croissants for breakfast rather than scoffing down a slice of cold pizza to try and soak up the poison quickly and sneakily ( I felt physically green many many mornings!)

I am not organising my day, just like you said london, to accommodate my first glass of wine at a 'socially acceptable time', we too will be heading out for a coffee and a potter round the shops, lovely!

the sun is shining and I haven't missed it by snoring half the day away!

I woke up and my first thought was, yes, day 24! followed by. ooooh, I wonder how everyone on SR's getting on! Love you guys!

we will be playing tennis this afternoon in this beautiful sunshine, walk around the countryside (we live in the sticks) and possibly a picnic. when I was drinking I honestly thought only people off the tv did things like this on a sunday!

I am grateful for all the support I have on here, this is so much a part of my recovery, and I need you all. You have taught me that this happens to normal people, and that im not just a simple case of failure, thank you all.

I find it uncanny some of the similarities we all share in the bad habits, behaviours, routines and tricks we had, yet how we all thought we were 'pulling it off' in drinking life and that nobody noticed the things we were doing, we sound like a bunch of bad secret agents ha!

I am wishing you all a wonderful and peaceful day, im off to get the croissants!
Much Love,
Linz x
Old 09-21-2014, 02:13 AM
  # 466 (permalink)  

calichris - 40 days!!!! massive congrats to you, and a lovely way tpo celebrate too :-) very proud of you!!!

Leeloo - have a fab day at your March, look at how different our lives are without the poison!

Grateful - hope you wake up to abetter day today xx
Old 09-21-2014, 02:26 AM
  # 467 (permalink)  

Great posts, London, pink, leeloo! Although I actually want some cold pizza from the fridge now!

5 AM here and already been up a few times. Son fell out of bed twice (??) and seems to have taken on a fast cold after being around so many people at the party yesterday I guess? Including a barking cough! Oy vey.

Grateful to have been sober to be up with him. Currently laying with him hoping to get him another hour of sleep...his little body needs it!

Thankful I wasn't up hugging the toilet after being a wino party host and only hugging my tearful son.

Thankful to be only concentrating on my son's breathing and not taking panicky deep breaths of my own after the 3 AM jolt where my body is screaming what are you doing to me?! Heart racing, palms sweaty, throat closing in.

So, I would say challenge of positivity accepted!
Old 09-21-2014, 02:27 AM
  # 468 (permalink)  

apple - well done on the party, that's a huge deal, be proud of yourself!!!
blackbird - sounds like a successful dinner! way to go :-)
Old 09-21-2014, 02:31 AM
  # 469 (permalink)  

SO Grateful.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (44.3 KB, 52 views)
Old 09-21-2014, 04:08 AM
  # 470 (permalink)  

Good morning guys! Just a quick check in to show my gratitude for you guys! You all helped me a great deal yesterday. I wouldn't have felt comfortable phoning somebody over my argument (over money, the root of all evil ay) yesterday, so being able to come on here and vent and then have support and words of wisdom from all you was a true blessing!! I loved how everybody was so supportive towards myself and grateful11 and I believe the range of advice will be beneficial to us all going forward. Thanks so much to you all.

This morn I am also grateful for a lovely lie in, free from illness, irritability and FEAR! I felt so calm and content it was great. I'm grateful for my new interest in spirituality, meditation and finding new positive ways help me along through life.

I am grateful for all of my family who have been amazing to me and put up with so much. I am grateful for my sponsor and the steps that are giving me new hope in recovery.

I am so so grateful that today I will not be isolated in between these four walls, drunk on my own, full or fear and self pity, feeling hopeless. Instead I will be a part of life, enjoying time with my little nephews, helping my family with some jobs, going to the shops, walking outdoors. These are all simple things that I simply couldn't do when I was in the grips of alcoholism. Feeling blessed.

Have a lovely day guys, let's not live in the past but let us never forget where we came from. Power to you all! x
Old 09-21-2014, 04:16 AM
  # 471 (permalink)  

Good Morning All!

While I'm not going to hit the trails today due to rain- felling great! It so nice to have 'natural' barriers to my runs rather than 'self-made'.

I remember a Wayne Dyer tape where he talked about beign alcohol free. The audience applauded. He laughed and said something like, "That always gets me. People always applaud for something that I stopped- that probably no one really should be doing in the first place anyway!".

To be clear- I have no issues with others choosing to drink (I think Gratefull used the term 'neutral' in a post, a word which stuck with me) and do not think moderate drinking is wrong or evil.

Simply, the way I drank was wrong for me- and did not bring me closer to my goals or purpose. Its great to be involved w/ others whose share this mindset.

And, its so interesting to see the evolution of the team as time goes on The energy has remained consistent, and the bonds have deepended as each has made a solid commitment to acheive something significant- together.

Lastly, speaking of commitment, my avatar is a picture of a tattoo a trail runner got on their arm prior to a 100 mile race.
Old 09-21-2014, 04:20 AM
  # 472 (permalink)  

Eyes opened and I knew exactly where I was, what time I went to bed, what it had been reading, music I had been listening to. Did not have to start the day with that horrible feeling as if someone had clubbed me in the head in the late afternoon and I was stumbling around dizzy and semi conscious all evening.

London, man I hated the phone check!! Text messages are scary, I would think, who was this person that wrote this? Did it seem touching and profound after 12 drinks last night? That would certainly set my mood downward first thing in the morning.

London, I too have the windows open, went outside with music and coffee, listening to Marconi union, I think they are from UK, but could be wrong.

Listening to positive music this morning, versus something like a peter doherty type mix to make me feel like other people like Pete "get it" and are hungover too. That choice also led to having a beer after my first coffee because the people I idolized would do that too right? And... I can simply take it slow all day and just stay moderately buzzed. Yeah right, how many times did I black out by 3pm?

About to go running in this fabulous weather! Again, how many of those did I miss.

My eyes have these strange white areas in them and no small pillows underneath..

I am not craving fast food hamburgers for breakfast. Having a kale smoothie.

My mid section is not jiggling anymore.

I just caught myself whistling, and I am thinking about a family walk in the park later. Pink, I thought that was for TV people too!

Pink, would you have ever baked croissants hungover?! Apple, I get the 3am and your son comment. I think grateful said she got a call to pick up her child late at night and could do it! How scary what risks I took with a child in the house that could need my alert attention at any moment. I heard him every time he moved last night, felt great about myself for it.

Calichris, happy bday! Grateful and bob, great job keeping it poison free! Dingo, you will be so happy, pursue what you love. Leeloo, I liked the observations about drinking habits. I was always the one, even when my beer was not quite done, looking for our server. I would notice others were done and not even worried about it. I would be out of the conversation, looking around the bar and ready to jump behind the tap and pour it myself. Sad to say I have done that. More than once.. We are different. Now we are sober and proud different. Anti poison activists!

Penkins, choobie, brach, ultra, 1step, tx, and anyone I missed, can't wait for you to wake up and testify!!

Last thing, I noticed a shift in feeling after 30 days team. I think the first 30 was propelled by running away FROM who I was. That fuel runs low after a month, and that is why I have slipped so many times. I am now trying to shift my focus on running TO the person I want to be. Not drinking is only a part of a life transformation.

Brach, by the way, listened to mooji all afternoon. Any other recommendations?

As positive as I feel now, the afternoon will no doubt have a visit from you know who. What with societies fall festivals and an alcohol industry that makes you feel like you don't fit in and are not having fun unless you are buying their brand of poison. I will reference our morning challenge posts and do another on Monday. Which, historically was my all time low of the week so many times. Not any more!! Ahhh yeahhh! Kickin it A Team style!

Today, live with intention. walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Appreciate your friends. Continue to learn. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is, cause it really is.
Old 09-21-2014, 04:42 AM
  # 473 (permalink)  

Good morning all!

Great stories from everyone. So proud of those of you who had tough situations, be it AV or hosting parties, and were able to make it through!

So my turn. I'm grateful that I'm able to get up clear headed this morning. I'm grateful that I'm not scrambling for an excuse to get out of going to church because I don't feel like I can physically get through it. I'm grateful that I'm not looking for an excuse to leave the house this morning so I can drop into the pub and be the first customer in the morning. And I'm grateful that when my two-year old woke up last night I was sober and could go up with him and give my wife a break.

I'm grateful that my head isn't pounding, and that I didn't do anything yesterday to further poison my body.

And I'm grateful that I'm starting to believe there might actually be another side to this. I may be way behind most of you in terms of days, but seeing you all progress is making me believe this is actually something I can do.

Hope you all have a wonder Sunday.
Old 09-21-2014, 05:16 AM
  # 474 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone! Love reading all of your positive thoughts on a Sunday morning!

Like all of you, I am so grateful to wake up well rested to a clean home, remember each detail of my evening last night and my day yesterday. I pale in comparison to some of you true athletes, but yesterday I did jog 2.25 miles, which, for me, is quite an accomplishment considering I ran a straight mile for the first time in my life just this summer (I will be 44 next week) I am proud of myself and it is a stark reminder of how alcohol keeps us from reaching our potential and holds us back physically, mentally, and emotionally.

I am feeling confident but I know that the AV can rear its ugly head out of nowhere, so I am trying to be prepared. Sometimes just 5 minutes of reading on SR can flip that switch in my head and change my perspective, reminding me of what I am fighting for.

Hope you all have a fabulous, sober Sunday...
Old 09-21-2014, 07:13 AM
  # 475 (permalink)  

Good morning SR!

Had a good night watching movies w my husband who is also giving up AL for me. Today day 14 for me. 13 for him. Hoping we make it thru Sunday football.

Woke up early today. Had breakfast and now heading out to church. Busy day today. After church is football at noon. Then at 4 I am testing out a new group of friends (found them online at Meet-up). We are going hiking at a local park - 4 miles. Im hoping to meet some new non-drinker friends.

Took my pups early yesterday morning and we, with my sister and her 2 dogs walked 3 miles. Could not have done that hungover.

Happy Sunday friends!
Old 09-21-2014, 07:19 AM
  # 476 (permalink)  

Good Morning! Let's see, my sober wake up...
I stayed up late last night watching a movie with my husband after Ladies Night, and so I slept in until 7:30! Out of all the mornings to record how great it is to wake up feeling sober and well equipped to get through the day, this one had a few more surprises than usual. One of the dogs I am babysitting while my parents are out of town filled the kitchen with dog poo, and peed on the herbs that I harvested yesterday. I literally stepped in poo to let all 4 dogs out and tripped over a dead bird that was placed lovingly on the back door by a mystery cat (Hmmmm. ..or maybe another animal?) It took maybe 10 minutes to clean everything up and by then the coffee was ready. No sweat. Really, no sweating, heart beating rapidly as I wake and hope I'll make it through whatever responsibilities I have to shoulder, like making toast for the kids or grinding coffee. I don't have to hope that no one can smell my nasty sweat, and picking out clothes to wear is no longer an achievement. It's hardly a concern.

Yesterday, I went to an intensive zumba class that's no marathon, but it's an hour straight of vigorous aerobic exercise and it felt so great I giggled through it. Pure joy! I drove through construction, took my son on a trading card hunt, went out for pizza with my family, did laundry, dishes, all effortlessly. No worries about when I could have my first drink, slow drivers didn't bother me, and I wasn't nauseous even once yesterday. I didn't makeup some stupid, flimsy excuse to get out of Ladies night, and I didn't let down my friend that saved a seat for me.

I'm tired this morning, and I feel no guilt about it whatsoever! No guilt, how can that even be? I'll take it a bit easy today, and take the kids to a movie later, salvage some non-urine soaked herbs, and maybe read a book, take a bath. I have time to do that because my household is running smoothly and my free time hasn't been taken with sitting on the couch, drinking, and pondering the point of my existence. 45 days ago, I was depleted, empty, desperate for love. I felt rejected by the whole of humanity and felt like I was just going through the motions of daily life. Hollow. I hated waking up to yet another morning.

This morning I am calm and relaxed. I'm confident that no matter what happens today, I will be able to deal with it. I've recovered my self respect. I'm not hollow anymore.

Happy sober morning, TeamAugust! Love to you all!
Old 09-21-2014, 09:00 AM
  # 477 (permalink)  

I love the fact that the last three posts all referenced some awesome physical activity! Before you know it we'll need to organize a team to compete in one of those obstacle races where one climbs walls and runs through fire!
Old 09-21-2014, 09:36 AM
  # 478 (permalink)  

????. I read all the posts and think "oh I want to comment on that". Then by the time I have read them all, I forget who had what. How do you guys remember the details to post? I feel like I need to get a spiral notebook and take notes while I'm reading.

Someone has a sick child and made it through hosting a party sober. I hope your child feels better soon and Way To Go on the party!!!

Someone had a fight their mom. Boy can I relate to that. And how crappy I always feels afterward. I'm glad you guys made up. . We need our mommas.

Lots of people getting physical. thank you for posting it. It has inspired me to get off my rear end and start exercising

Oh I know I've forgotten someone.

Tips and hints please on keeping it all straight?!?!?!?!
Old 09-21-2014, 09:47 AM
  # 479 (permalink)  

Penkins - Congrats on 2 weeks! Brilliant!

Old 09-21-2014, 09:53 AM
  # 480 (permalink)  

Apple - Fantastic job last night...yeah yeah! So happy for you. I know weekends and parties are challenging for you and you handled it A-Team style.