Notices

Class of August 2014 Part 6

Old 09-20-2014, 05:57 AM
  # 401 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by brach123 View Post
ahhhhhhh maaan I'm feeling so worked up right now!!!! I was supposed to be going out with my mum for the day but after an argument we aren't going now. On top of that she started crying because she thought I was going to go off drinking because of the argument. Now I'm really angry at myself for the way I acted, agghhhhhh we were supposed to have a nice day and now I just feel awful. I really need to calm down now.
Brach, not sure what actually happened in your argument, but I know that even sober I act like a crazy jerk sometimes. But the difference is you can admit it, apologize and move on. I'm sorry you feel so bad but think about how much worse it would be if it was related in any way to you actually drinking.
Old 09-20-2014, 06:00 AM
  # 402 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
For anyone having a bad time...

If I thought I can't have something, the 3yo in me came out. BUT I WANT IT!

I can drink anytime I like...but I have to accept the bad consequences that come with that deicsion, There's no one without the other.

I don;t want the bad consequences so my choice has to reflect that.

I choose not to drink - and as I go on, the many and varied benefits of that decision become more and more apparent to me.

I'd no sooner go back to drinking now than play on the highway.

Stick with it guys...engage your adult brain and a little rudimentary cost benefit analysis, mebbe?

D
Dee, this is EXACTLY how I feel when I want to drink. Like a spoiled, stubborn brat who wants something and can't have it. Getting to the point where we KNOW that it cannot be done without the bad consequences is a huge victory, for me anyway. And I mean KNOW it, to the point where the AV cannot even get a word in edgewise.
Old 09-20-2014, 06:35 AM
  # 403 (permalink)  

ahhhhhhh maaan I'm feeling so worked up right now!!!! I was supposed to be going out with my mum for the day but after an argument we aren't going now. On top of that she started crying because she thought I was going to go off drinking because of the argument. Now I'm really angry at myself for the way I acted, agghhhhhh we were supposed to have a nice day and now I just feel awful. I really need to calm down now.
Take a breather Brach. I had one of those days yesterday with my son. I needed a bit of space and then I calmed down after an hour
Old 09-20-2014, 06:36 AM
  # 404 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by penkins View Post
Thnx TX and Dee. As predicted i am happy to wake up hangover free!!!! And sooo glad i did not cave last nigjt to the dreaded AV.

6:30 am here. The States should start waking up.

Happy Saturday morning!!
Well done penkins!!
Old 09-20-2014, 06:37 AM
  # 405 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Choobie View Post
Happy sober Saturday, A Team!

Pink and leeloo, wow you have full days! I'm going to a Zumba class this morning, and then taking my son on a pokemon trading card expedition. I have a girls night out at church, where everyone brings the stuff they sell-tupperware, essential oils, etc., so we can skip the home parties. No drinking there! And Sunday will be willed with doing things that need doing.

KNB, I'm proud of you for taking care of yourself and switching to caffeine free!

London, I love my fat wallet, too!

Cute, what are you going to do for your birthday??
I love Zumba! Choobie is it you who has a ten year old son?
Old 09-20-2014, 06:38 AM
  # 406 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bblackbirdflyy View Post

caffeine free coffee?!!!

better you than me.
Got no choice bblackbird. I haver a weak bladder so the doctor told me to lay off the caffeine and sweetners..and alcohol.
Old 09-20-2014, 06:49 AM
  # 407 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much for your kind words!! It makes me realise how easily day to day things can throw me!! I just lay down in the end and listened to mooji and actually fell to sleep. I woke up feeling a sad but have made up with my Mum and I apologised for upsetting her and making her worry, that was honestly never my intention but in the the middle of our disagreement I wasn't mindful of how it would affect her. Anyway I'm calmer now and thankfully made amends.

I'm gonna catch up on the rest of your posts now, I hope you are all well and happy. Lots of power to you guys.
Old 09-20-2014, 07:03 AM
  # 408 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much for your kind words!! It makes me realise how easily day to day things can throw me!! I just lay down in the end and listened to mooji and actually fell to sleep. I woke up feeling a sad but have made up with my Mum and I apologised for upsetting her and making her worry, that was honestly never my intention but in the the middle of our disagreement I wasn't mindful of how it would affect her. Anyway I'm calmer now and thankfully made amends.

I'm gonna catch up on the rest of your posts now, I hope you are all well and happy. Lots of power to you guys.
Good for you for not drinking on it Brach.
Old 09-20-2014, 07:19 AM
  # 409 (permalink)  

Good morning sober friends. Glad to be one of you today.

Sorry you had a rough go if it today brach, but glad you were able to make up. Plus if you mom was concerned you were going to drink over it, showing her that didn't happen can speak volumes.

Dee, great advice for us all.

Glad to see the rest of you up and at it (for quite some time if you're across the pond). I've got a day of doing things around the house planned that would never happen if drinking (I get super lazy).

Have a safe day. Post when needed!
Old 09-20-2014, 07:28 AM
  # 410 (permalink)  

Thanks knb and tx. Whilst I didn't consider taking a drink, I was very aware that I had to calm myself down and not sit in the anger or guilt for too long. It's risky business monitoring yourself, I sure don't want to be in a position where my AV can have it's way with me. I'm still feeling low and kind of sat around with not much to do for the rest of the day but I'll pick up and I'm finding things to do.

Hope you guys enjoy the rest of your day.
Old 09-20-2014, 07:57 AM
  # 411 (permalink)  

Good morning class of August!!

Looks like lots of stuff going on here. I admire you all for sharing your ups and downs, and yet finding the will and desire to keep at it.

I've been doing quite well, and figuring out a lot about myself. Really need to address the heart of my problem, which seems to be insecurity/self-esteem issues.

Have an event I must attend on Monday that I am not looking forward to. It's a dinner at a nice restaurant, which seems to be part of my relapse problem in the past. Skipping this is not an option, so I am taking this weekend to think long and hard about why I would even need to consider drinking, and how I can modify that thought process.

When I am at home, I have no problem abstaining--we literally have 100's of bottles of wine here, yet I never even consider choosing one. It's always a being out thing. Need to break that connection for good, as I am tired of this.

On a positive--wow!! I am so impressed by all of the runners and the fitness posts!! You guys are doing great!! Fitness has become a huge part of my lifestyle, which makes the thought of yet another relapse daunting. I wish that I could say that I would never drink again for the sake of my health, but I know that this thing is tricky----

Best to each and every one of you today!! Lots of love and encouragement coming from my little part of the world!!

MV
Old 09-20-2014, 08:00 AM
  # 412 (permalink)  

Great job brach. Checking out mooji right now, diggin it.
Old 09-20-2014, 08:02 AM
  # 413 (permalink)  

Guys, loving reading your posts, sat in Costa having an americano, I can't remember who posted what though!!! So will just say all these posts are great and positive and are keeping me focused, I hope uoure all having a good day, feels so good to feel good xxx
Old 09-20-2014, 08:17 AM
  # 414 (permalink)  

Thnx guys!! Congrats to all adding one more sober day.
Old 09-20-2014, 12:00 PM
  # 415 (permalink)  

Way to hang in there everyone! I ran last night and this morning to challenge myself an my muscles. At 9:30am my family went to a party at a house along a parade which happend today.

I talked to a runner who does 100mile runs (and had just run 20 this morning) about long runs and got some good info. Humbling and inspiring. (I made my wife promise to talk me out of any run over a 50k).

Anyway, at about 11am I saw someone waiting until the kitchen was clear to make a bloody mary. So glad thats not me anymore. Its kind of wild to look at things from a whole different perspective.
Old 09-20-2014, 12:22 PM
  # 416 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sthlondonab View Post
Ha ha! Thank you. It must be all the superlatives I throw around - lovely, smashing, brilliant, excellent, top drawer etc. they are all genuine encouragement words for TeamAugust.

I remember once in NYC I said to a US colleague when I was over for a training course "this office is quite nice" and all the guys put "quite" in front of every description the entire week for a friendly joke. It was so much fun.

I love our friends across the pond too !
Hope your day was quite lovely.

My kids asked me why I keep saying brilliant and top drawer lately...hmmm...
Old 09-20-2014, 12:25 PM
  # 417 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by penkins View Post
Thnx TX and Dee. As predicted i am happy to wake up hangover free!!!! And sooo glad i did not cave last nigjt to the dreaded AV.

6:30 am here. The States should start waking up.

Happy Saturday morning!!
Fantastic to hear Penkins!
Old 09-20-2014, 12:38 PM
  # 418 (permalink)  

Evening everyone, had good day with my girls today haven't got them overnight though and its been a trigger for me in the past- Im missing them, couldn't sleep last night because I was so hyperactive and looking forward to seeing them today also was on a natural high after the meeting last night and found it hard to come down!

Things are good on the whole though, got early morning meeting planned for the morning, theres a guy in the rooms that's moving to your neck of the woods Pink, Ive been to Peterborough once on the way to Norwich on a coach trip- needless to say the only scenery I saw was the inside of a pub!
Old 09-20-2014, 01:04 PM
  # 419 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 1stepup View Post

Things are good on the whole though, got early morning meeting planned for the morning, theres a guy in the rooms that's moving to your neck of the woods Pink, Ive been to Peterborough once on the way to Norwich on a coach trip- needless to say the only scenery I saw was the inside of a pub!
I popped to the post office earlier and someone asked me directions to another part of Peterborough, and I caught myself giving directions via pubs i.e 'go past the carpenter arms, turn left, you'll see the whittle way on your right, if you pass the fenman you've gone too far' thinks that sums it up, I have never noticed that navigate my way around via pub landmarks. looking at all the places ive lived, I now realise that if I plan a route in my head, I can tell you every pub on that route. very sad. I never would have noticed myself doing this before!!
Old 09-20-2014, 01:14 PM
  # 420 (permalink)  

Hey Team! Reading all of your posts is helping me so much today. My emotions are all over the place.

I had a wonderful long bike ride yesterday. Went to the gardens on a new trail they just built over a ravine. It was a beautiful sunny day in the low 70's (very rare in Chicago). I was so grateful to be sober...sun shining on my face...flying down hill on a bridge over the ravine...some trees already turning into the reds and oranges of fall...I even yelled "woo hoo"...so freakin fun! Gardens were beautiful and peaceful. Had an attitude of gratitude.

Today I am having a pity party. My AV is telling me that I have been treated badly and I have no responsibilities today and tomorrow...I don't have my kids...some work but nothing urgent...today would be a great day to play. I know my negativity is my AV telling me to come out and play and I really don't want to drink. Just having those pesky thoughts.

Family wedding coming up soon and other events where I am obviously being treated differently. Still invited but not included in the wedding party where my other siblings are. It hurts so much. I am feeling so disconnected from my siblings who I used to be very close to until my drinking escalated. The irony is that I see alcoholic patterns in their drinking yet they are very judgmental about me. They tell me it has always been my choice and I chose to drink that much.

Also wanted to share one of my readings for today:
How do I know that I'm recovering? I know that I'm recovering because I'm standing up for myself. Nobody can put me down any more.
I know that I'm recovering because I'm teaching my children to be themselves - and to be proud of it.
I know I'm recovering because I can feel.
I know I'm recovering because I'm seeing the reality in all situations. I am refusing to be hopeless about anything.
I know I'm recovering because I realize that the failure in any of my relationships was not my fault. I am not a failure because a relationship didn't work out.
I know I'm recovering because I don't have to do everything perfectly.
These signs of recovery did not appear all at once. Gradually, through time, I am noticing changes that let me know that my struggle is worth the effort. - Daily Affirmations for Adult Children of Alcoholics by Lerner

Already feel better. Take that AV.