Notices

Class Of December 2013 - Part 2

Old 12-18-2013, 09:10 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BlueSkiesAB View Post
Thanks VickiLou. Why is sleep disturbed like that? It's like I can't stay asleep for longer than a few hours. I fall asleep again but it's definitely not a deep sleep nor a good sleep. I Hope you stay free tonight.
For me I guess that the wine I drank just knocked me out - simple as that but I don't think an alcoholic sleep is a good sleep either. I may have had more sleep but I'm not sure of its quality! I'm sure sober sleep will settle into a patern soon enough (although I'm writing this at 5am GMT and have been awake since 3.45am!). For now I'm just trying to look at the positives - much more time! If I had had a drunken sleep last night I wouldn't be up replying to you! I also get some quiet time - which for me is a positive as I live in a house with 3 kids. Also, at least if I get up at this time I'll be tired and ready for sleep at a normal time rather than tossing and turning all night.

I think the only worry for me is getting tired CAN be a trigger too. That's something I need to watch although solved that the other night by having a good cry and just letting it all out.

I hope your evening went well and you were able to enjoy it with no cravings xx
Old 12-18-2013, 09:21 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Hi all,
Day 5 and I'm likely to be facing a temptation tonight. We will be having a festive visit from my Dad and his wife who LOVE, LOVE, LOVE wine. They don't drink to excess (well medically they probably do but they don't drink to my standards haha). They're only coming for an hour or two and will be driving but they always bring wine. I don't want to directly ask them not to as I don't want to make things unusual or draw attention to it as I don't want them to worry - my strategy is going to be a) I don't tend to drink in the week anymore and b) I've been ill for almost a month and am avoiding alcohol as it makes me feel worse. Going to get lots of nice soft drinks in for myself, my husband (also on day 5) and the kids so hopefully this will make it easier. Wish me luck fellow Decemberites. I'm just going to look at this as a challenge and believe in myself that I will be here, tomorrow morning posting my 'day 6' message. Have a good day folks xx
Old 12-18-2013, 11:33 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Putting Day 17 to bed. Glad you're still with us Hkvik, I agree with Dee, go easy on your goals. Start small. Like your plan Vickylou. Nice to see so much positivity on here. Go Dec's!
Old 12-18-2013, 11:37 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope things went well Vicky Lou

D
Old 12-19-2013, 03:07 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Day 1 almost over, thank god. Will take a few days to get over this failure and to start feel good , well ok at least, about myself again. But I'll do it, just don't go for drinks and things will sort themselves out.
Good luck everbody, stay strong.
Old 12-19-2013, 06:22 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Back to day 1! We all know the story and how it ends. Not feeling the greatest today but going to think positive thoughts. Still here still trying.
Old 12-19-2013, 07:36 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

God Morning December-ites! Day 12 for me today and I'm trucking along. Sometimes minute to minute. I went to the market this morning before work to get sandwiches for my daughters Christmas party and on my to grab a muffin for myself I was behind I woman who had a cart full of Champagne - okay maybe it was just 2 bottles - but I thought 'Oh, I want to have all of that. I'm never going to have all of that again.' I thought of all those Sunday Fundays of boozey brunches... however, the montage of laughing at brunch with bottles of champagne flowing, was later replaced with the real memories of how anxious I would feel at the brunch table wanting to order another bottle when everyone else was packing up or how I'd sneak sips from someone else's drink when they left so I didn't finish mine or how Id' run to the bathroom and order wine from the bar and drink it quickly before returning to the table... the spinning thoughts of how I'd get 'just one more' was a full time job... inevitably stumbling around with friends thinking 'how did she get that drunk?' Waking up hungover for work on Monday - FROM SUNDAY BRUNCH! Anyway.... these are the pangs that sneak up on me. I have to remember, I'm actually free of that scenario. I'm free to never have that experience again....

Repeat: Actions become thoughts. Actions become thoughts. Actions become thoughts.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:48 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Day 20 today.

Some unexpected sudden cravings earlier but played the tape through and they passed thankfully.

Now having a sit down to watch some TV and contemplating some pizza for dinner. Sometimes it's a relief not to have to plan my covert drinking, it was exhausting!

Hope today was kind to you all x
Old 12-19-2013, 11:11 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Hi all. Day 6..starting to feel a little bit stronger. All I was thinking was, get past the first week, which was starting to feel impossible. Now I actually know I can't do this again so hey ho just for today I will not drink. Stay strong everyone. Hope you are having a safe sober day.
Old 12-19-2013, 04:04 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

The dinner went well last night. I ordered cranberry juice with sparkling water. It felt good to not drink. Meeting friends right now, at what u didn't know is a wine bar! Damn. I walk in and am offered a free tasting while I wait. I decline and say, ' I don't drink'! Wow. I have never said those words. Sweet! I ordered cranberry juice. It will be a good night.
Old 12-19-2013, 04:11 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations to everyone hitting a milestone today

to those who are back at day one - don;t give up - this is not a one time pass fail deal.

Do try and look at where you went wrong tho - think about what you've been doing for your recovery - could you do more? what could you add this time?

D
Old 12-19-2013, 04:17 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

If there was no re sit to the exam we'd all be in trouble!!

Dee is right, keep pushing through, if it takes 100 Day 1's then so be it, but by learning a little each time, eventually it'll happen.

BlueSkies, my drink of choice has now become cranberry juice, it's amazing!
Old 12-19-2013, 05:06 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Drinking just isn't sustainable as an alcoholic. I guess I need to just make the best of what I have.

Joining the December class. 12/18/2013... can't believe I went to the emergency room for something completely self-inflicted.
Old 12-19-2013, 05:07 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Day 2 just starts.
Feel better than expected and slept ok as well. Not worried about cravings or temptations of drinking today, hopefully today will be a bit more productive than yesterday which was totally wasted.
Good luck everyone and stay strong. It's friday today so might be a bit harder with after-work drinks and "I need to reward myself after a week of work" from some (I don't have that problem at least, working alone). Don't do what I did two days ago, avoid situations where you used to drink until you are 100% you can handle it.
Old 12-19-2013, 05:11 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have decades of that kinda stuff Ima - beggars belief really
Welcome back

D
Old 12-19-2013, 05:15 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

I guess the feeling of impending doom and the pain...everywhere...wouldn't allow me to risk death.
Old 12-19-2013, 05:57 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Imebuleva is there anything you want to tell us? How can we support you?
Old 12-19-2013, 06:06 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had a very cavalier fatalistic attitude ...until I nearly did die. It really concentrates the mind, and reminded me I do think my life is precious.

Everything I've done since I can trace back to that turn around moment - I hope you'll look back and feel the same, Ima

D
Old 12-19-2013, 11:25 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Today, Day 18, was very difficult. There were some moments. I made it through anyway and just accepted it as part of the process. Today's inspiration: "It's Never Too Late To Be What You Might Have Been".
Old 12-20-2013, 01:10 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

You guys are doing great! Also don't forget that there are chat meetings every Tues & Friday at 9:00 EST. These meetings are great and have definitely helped me get thru this.