Notices

Class of September 2013 - Part 14

Old 11-03-2013, 11:10 PM
  # 221 (permalink)  

Welcome back Plenny, you belong here with us Septemberites. I'm sorry you've had such a grim week. Your letter was amazing. Read it whenever temptation strikes. I certainly will so thank you for posting it
Old 11-03-2013, 11:38 PM
  # 222 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've never used it - not even sure if we have it here - but I'm told nyquil commonly has 25% alcohol in it.

There are non alcoholic varieties tho - might be safer.

D
Old 11-04-2013, 02:05 AM
  # 223 (permalink)  

Welcome back Plenny loved your letter thanks for sharing.

Feeling low here today I think I might be in the same boat as Iommy things that hubby says are just not adding up. I feel so torn head telling me one thing heart another love him dearly but not sure if I like some parts of his personality.

Anyways hope you all have a great sober Monday xx
Old 11-04-2013, 03:15 AM
  # 224 (permalink)  

Hey Tallia

Keep your chin up. Second guessing is torturous. Can you focus just on your day and what is within your control ? Let the chips fall where they may. We can only hope for the best. Stay strong, calm and peaceful !

Old 11-04-2013, 04:07 AM
  # 225 (permalink)  

Wow, I went to bed early last night. Seemed the safest thing to do, and so much has happened.

Plenny, I am so glad you are back posting with us, and I was worried for you too, and sad for us. Nurture yourself for a few days and you should feel better.

Lommey, I am so sorry for your pain, and that your husband has not been home. Has he come around at all yet? Do you have children? ((((lommey))))

And Tallia, sorry that you are also going through having doubts.

I hope you both can weather this without drinking. I know it would be very hard, were I in your situation. But you will function better through anything sober. You know that, right?

Nothing much here. I was feeling whiney and srry for myself yesterday about not being able to be a mature, normal drinker and so, just read a few pages of my RR book and went to bed.

I have it on the bookshelf in the family room this morning and will read more today.
Old 11-04-2013, 04:07 AM
  # 226 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Plenny View Post
That's a good idea Melina.

"Before you go out tonight,

I'm writing this on day 1 after a 10 day binge that resulted in one slip up, one night, when I was nervous and navigating a situation I hadn't navigated sober. I thought I'd feel relaxed and in control and euphoric. I thought I'd find camaraderie through drinking with others. I thought I'd bounce back after one night and go back to my normal sober self.

The opposite happened. I became more nervous after a drink. So I had more. The euphoria never happened, and the control went out the window. The old demons of low self esteem and self-consciousness came creeping back. So I had more drinks. Then, I succeeded in deafening ALL of my voices. I didn't care how I acted and didn't feel anything. I didn't do anything damaging but I COULD have and I WOULDN'T have cared. I did behave like a person I'm not really proud of. And, if I had stayed sober I would have been very proud of myself because I do like myself sober.

I didn't recover from the one slip. I woke up shaking and drank all day the next day and behaved exactly the same way. Then the next day. And then the next seven days after that. Now I'm here and I think to myself that nothing I did was enhanced by drinking. It was only darker. And more chaotic. And if I hadn't done it I would be feeling proud of myself and my week, and I'd remember it.

So before you go out tonight, remember that nothing changes for the better when you're drinking. And there is room for nothing else in your life when you open that bottle or get that glass of wine. It's all a fantasy based on a chemical addiction and propaganda.

And if you keep breathing and keep getting through each moment, you'll make it through the night, sober."
Wow
Old 11-04-2013, 04:14 AM
  # 227 (permalink)  

Fantastic letter, Plenny, thank you very much for posting.

xoxo
Old 11-04-2013, 04:16 AM
  # 228 (permalink)  

Melina I volunteer to be your taste tester..
Old 11-04-2013, 04:26 AM
  # 229 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FishnHippy View Post
Melina I volunteer to be your taste tester..

Aww, Fishy, you are too sweet! Thanks!

Next time you catch a big mess of fish, let's have a September class fish fry!
Old 11-04-2013, 04:36 AM
  # 230 (permalink)  

Welcome back Plenny. I'm so glad you found your way back to us! Try not to focus too much on those 10 days rather use it as validation that you are unable to be a normal drinker. Then just one dAy at a time remind yourself of this. Or read your letter.. It is awesome
Old 11-04-2013, 04:37 AM
  # 231 (permalink)  

((Tallia)) I don't know what to say, except that I care. Very much.

Plenny, so good that you have found your way out of that dark week. And you're part of our family, so I'm very happy you want to stay with us Septies. Thank you for that profound letter. I think I'll paste it on my "notes to self" file I keep open, if you don't mind.

Off to work soon, last day for this week for me. See you guys and gals later. XO
Old 11-04-2013, 04:37 AM
  # 232 (permalink)  

Melina - good luck at your new job. How exciting!!
Old 11-04-2013, 04:42 AM
  # 233 (permalink)  

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question what about foods cooked with wine and beer? I've been wanting mussels in a wine sauce for a few days
Old 11-04-2013, 04:43 AM
  # 234 (permalink)  

So I have a ticket to PINK for this Friday. I bought the ticket awhile ago and wel before becoming sober. I try not to think much beyond today but I cannot help but have some anxiety about it. I am having a hard enough time getting through the weekend without adding a night surrounded by drinking and rocking out. I just don't feel strong enough yet to do something like this sober. For me I think it is too soon. I love PINK and apart of me is super bummed to miss it but I know the second I put something before my sobriety than I'm in trouble.
Old 11-04-2013, 04:52 AM
  # 235 (permalink)  

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question what about foods cooked with wine and beer? I've been wanting muscles in a wine sauce for a few days
Interesting desire there, Fishy. Reminds me of this chap:

Australian MP Peter Dowling Put His Penis In Wine For Sext Pic - Politician Put Penis In Wine And Sent Pic To Mistress - Cosmopolitan
Old 11-04-2013, 04:54 AM
  # 236 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kellbell123 View Post
So I have a ticket to PINK for this Friday. I bought the ticket awhile ago and wel before becoming sober. I try not to think much beyond today but I cannot help but have some anxiety about it. I am having a hard enough time getting through the weekend without adding a night surrounded by drinking and rocking out. I just don't feel strong enough yet to do something like this sober. For me I think it is too soon. I love PINK and apart of me is super bummed to miss it but I know the second I put something before my sobriety than I'm in trouble.
Kell

That would be a shame. There isnt any way to just see the concert without the alcohol ? Just go straight to the stadium and out ?
Old 11-04-2013, 04:55 AM
  # 237 (permalink)  

Kane. A typo on my part mussels auto correct got me
Old 11-04-2013, 04:56 AM
  # 238 (permalink)  

Kane. A typo on my part mussels auto correct got me
I knew that...was hoping otherwise
Old 11-04-2013, 05:51 AM
  # 239 (permalink)  

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question what about foods cooked with wine and beer? I've been wanting mussels in a wine sauce for a few days
Up to you, Fishy. It probably wouldn't trigger me to cook a stew with some wine. However, I've been using stock to deglaze instead bc there's no point poking the bear.

As far as mussels....

Perhaps a light chicken stock with a hit of citrus or vinegar for the acidity of wine? Get stock about a half inch up your pot to boil, with aromats of your choice. Maybe some nice fresh thyme. Set a chopped fresh jalapeņo to swimming in there and some whole pink peppercorns. Once reduced halfway, add a couple dozen cleaned mussels, reduce heat, cover pot for a few till mussels open. Finish with some butter stirred in and the zest of an orange. Salt to taste. Serve with crusty French bread.

Mmmmmm!
Old 11-04-2013, 06:01 AM
  # 240 (permalink)  

If you posted this on the main page you would get lots of people telling you "no". It's about the same reaction you would get to whether you can have non alcoholic beer. Personally, I think it's a bad idea if you are cooking it yourself, but a little cookin sherry in the beef stroganoff never set me off on a binge.