Notices

Class of April 2013 Part 6

Old 11-22-2013, 02:25 PM
  # 341 (permalink)  

'Allo guys.

Hope this finds you all well, and in good spirits.
Not much different for me as well. Seems were just the quiet, back of the assembly kind of class--and that's just fine. Important part is we're still here!

Blue Dog and myself spent the last couple mornings getting out early for much needed exercise...seems sedentary life is catching up with both of us. His increase in treats to do with training, and mine to do with...not exercising as much...has made us a little softer than usual...

Certainly not in any kind of surf shape--and those waves are starting to grow on our side of the island!

We will have a bit of a hiatus of course for the Holiday here--but that's just a minor setback.
Be well, All.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:30 AM
  # 342 (permalink)  

Hi class. Hope everyone has a Happy Thanksgiving tomorrow. (Except Dee of course, as I don't think it's Thanksgiving there, but wishing you a Happy Thursday tomorrow.)

I'm thankful I'm spending this Thanksgiving clean and sober.
Old 11-27-2013, 01:11 PM
  # 343 (permalink)  
Administrator

Not many Pilgrims in my country no LOL - still a lot to be thankful for, tho

have a great Thanksgiving everyone!

D
Old 11-27-2013, 09:34 PM
  # 344 (permalink)  
capra laeviculus

I think it's funny that I couldn't tell you one single holiday in Australia, Germany, China, or even Canada, but we Americans sort of expect the world to know when our holidays are.

When you said "Except Dee, of course" I thought for a split second "Why not Dee? Does he have to work?" Dur...

I have traveled abroad more than most Americans, yet I still think I would benefit from improving my perspective a little.
Old 11-28-2013, 05:10 AM
  # 345 (permalink)  

Happy Thanksgiving to all..whoever. .wherever!
Old 11-28-2013, 09:54 AM
  # 346 (permalink)  

I know the Aussies have a National Holiday for the Grand Final of the AFL. Kinda like having the Monday after the Super Bowl off...
Perhaps it's just Victoria that gets that though...I'm not sure.

Hope all are snug, and soaking up the smells and tastes of turkey day!

Happy Thanksgiving, guys. Be well.
Old 11-28-2013, 04:34 PM
  # 347 (permalink)  

The Canadians have Thanksgiving a month or two before the US, something I only learned recently thanks to SR.

Today has been a rare day when I've been plagued with drinking thoughts. Just hanging out with family, kind of bored, lots of alcohol around and the majority of people have a drink in hand.

So, I've snuck off to spend a bit of time on SR.
Old 11-28-2013, 05:27 PM
  # 348 (permalink)  
Administrator

The AFL Grand Final is usually on a Saturday anyway Scout.

No Holidays here this time of year - thats why Xmas is a bigger thing here I guess.

The first holidays can be rough DG - but you can withstand the little voice. You'll be glad tomorrow

Hope everyone is having a good time
D
Old 11-28-2013, 05:32 PM
  # 349 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee. I know you're right, tomorrow I'll be glad I made it through.

I keep thinking maybe I could have an occassional drink and it would be ok. But the fact that I keep thinking about it means I have a problem and I know it. It wouldn't be a big deal otherwise.
Old 11-28-2013, 08:48 PM
  # 350 (permalink)  
capra laeviculus

I was too busy cooking to even think about drinking

Yesterday while I was working on the pies and stuff that I can cook the day before it occurred to me I should probably check how much propane I had left. And guess what... the needle was on empty. Only having fumes left in the propane tank is not conducive to cooking a 21 pound turkey!

So I checked my stock of charcoal and there was plenty, so.... I cooked the turkey on the grill today, using a small amount of propane to cook mashed potatoes and gravy and yams and stuffing.

The turkey on the grill was fantastic! I highly recommend it.
Old 11-28-2013, 11:40 PM
  # 351 (permalink)  

I hear ya DG.

I spent my Thanksgiving watching the various friends, spouses, and others from the W's work have drinks like normal people (of whom, I don't really know at all...so me not drinking wasn't noticeable or in anyway weird), but---there was that lingering little thing telling me a beer would be fabulous.

It was hot in their house. Like...uncomfortable hot, so I spent a lot of time in the yard with the pack of hounds that was there. Was a good way to get out of there for a bit.

Our dear friend is 6 months along--so she and her dog were good companions for me.

I had hit the fridge for a drink of something--and there was one can of orange soda there...the rest was beer. I had a very sudden, evil, and thankfully fleeting idea of just having one, and calling it good. I knew after all this time it would be a damn shame, so I just sucked it up, and poured myself a water. Was fine. I need to hydrate off all this dang food anyway.

Hope all were successful at beating back the little Holiday gremlins that seem to be on the offensive.

(Dee: I was in Melbourne the year the Grand Final ended in a tie, so if I'm not mistaken: Victoria had that next Friday? off either for the match, or the pre-gaming festivities. I could have sworn our hosts had the day off from work! Either that--or they are such Collingwood supporters, they just TOOK it off. ).
Old 11-28-2013, 11:48 PM
  # 352 (permalink)  
Administrator

Oh you may be right scout - I'm not a Melbournian
I think they get the day of the Melbourne Cup race as a holiday anyway...

D
Old 11-30-2013, 05:07 AM
  # 353 (permalink)  

Greetings class. At my sister's for the holiday. Been busy..eating a TON but no booze. Went to a nice restaurant last night with a fine wine list... hard to say "no thanks". Same with going to a great little wine shop in town, I always stocked up. Christmas will be much harder.. have a good weeked all.
Old 11-30-2013, 06:14 AM
  # 354 (permalink)  
capra laeviculus

I don't normally feel preachy, but at the moment I do, so indulge me for a minute, if y'all don't mind

Seems like a lot of folks are having issues with holiday drinking pressure.

Perhaps this is easier for me 'cause I'm a bit older, and I'm the dad -- i.e. I'm the HOST of thanksgiving, xmas, halloween, st patty's day, etc.

And, therefore, there is NO ALCOHOL at these festive events. It's not a part of the equation. There's nothing to tempt me or anyone else.

I suppose if you can't cook a turkey yourself you might be forced to be subjected to situations that make you want to drink. But, I dunno... learn to cook? Don't go?

Sobriety is more important to me than the possibility of pissing off Aunt Gladys 'cause I didn't want to go to her shindig. And if Cousin Ernie doesn't want to come to my house because there's no booze, then he can go **** himself.

Ok, preachy over. I feel better now.

Tomorrow I may need to read what I wrote to make sure I remember it as well
Old 11-30-2013, 12:56 PM
  # 355 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm with you Goat.

I guess I got cantankerous with my old age - I definitely (finally) learned to value myself and my mind and body.

I'm clean and sober and I want to be this way - I prefer it...

if somebody doesn't like that (including my AV) then....tough.

*does James Brown holler and steps down from the pulpit*

D
Old 11-30-2013, 06:56 PM
  # 356 (permalink)  

I don't think I expected Thanksgiving to be so tough when I made my plans. I was feeling pretty solid in my sobriety and if at times I've struggled with feeling down, I really haven't struggled much at all with wanting to drink. How tough it was kind of surprised me. If I'd known, I would have been glad to just go without the turkey for this year.

Anyway, I learned my lesson, that's for sure. While I had been kind of planning to go see the family again for Christmas, I've made new plans just to stay home.

While I made it through Thanksgiving clean and sober, Friday I did have 2 hits of weed. It was a very impulsive decision, while I'd been craving alcohol, I really hadn't been thinking about weed at all. I didn't enjoy it, now that I've been off of it for some time it affects me differently. It's really not something I care to do again.

But I see it as a giant red flag regarding my sobriety. There are things I need to change. The way I was thinking/feeling about alcohol leading up to Thanksgiving, and on Thanksgiving is another red flag as well.

Sobriety is important to me and I need to continue keeping it as a top priority. I'm learning my lessons from this one and moving forward. Lesson #1 is that I'm not quite ready for major holidays with family, so a change in Christmas plans. Lesson #2 is about a specific person that was involved, while it's a family member I can't avoid, I need to have a solid plan for next time.
Old 11-30-2013, 10:14 PM
  # 357 (permalink)  
capra laeviculus

In other words, DG, you came out of Thanksgiving stronger than you went in... That's a great thing! All you have accomplished this year is really amazing, and it's clear to me that you have no intention of slowing your progress.
Old 12-01-2013, 10:31 AM
  # 358 (permalink)  

Howdy fokes,

Today is 8 months. I am sober, and actually working on my destroyed, blown-up life so I can be a better person. I could not think of doing this 8 months ago when I woke up flicking spiders off my body.

This forum has helped. My blog here keeps me honest and helping me with my steps.

Thank you all.
Old 12-01-2013, 01:36 PM
  # 359 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations Badger

DG for the record I agree with Goat

D
Old 12-01-2013, 01:45 PM
  # 360 (permalink)  

Badger- Congrats on 8 months.

Scoutie- Come to think of it, it's 8 months for you, too!! Congrats!!