Notices

Class of May 2013 Part 2

Old 05-29-2013, 10:33 PM
  # 361 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by helenwulfgar View Post
Good luck, Midlife. It's hard, I know!
Checking in at the end of day 5 for me. It was my first day back at work since quitting. Found I could not concentrate (had a splitting headache), and I seemed to "lose time" where I'd zone for an hour. Also- still shaking a bit. But my heart is slowing down and I slept last night, so win!
Still hard. I had two invites to go out drinking today, and I said I was not drinking- to loose weight for my wedding since I didn't want to get hassled. I was then asked if I could at least give them alcohol for their parties and not subsequently invited to still attend.
Sigh- like another post said- guess you find out who your real friends are.
I can empathize about your first work day experience... yesterday I had a 3-hour meeting with some company representatives for a university project, and then a couple of hours writing a project outline. It's the first 'real' work I have done sober, and if I'm honest, I didn't enjoy most of it. I got some kind of tension headache which stayed with me for the whole day. I was daydreaming through important moments. And then I had trouble getting to sleep at night and woke up several times just as I was falling asleep...

I wonder do I even enjoy this kind of work? Did drinking just blind me from this kind of conclusion? Or is this just a temporary sobriety thing?

Sorry to hear about your friends' attitude, but good job for making the decision to stay sober
Old 05-29-2013, 10:51 PM
  # 362 (permalink)  

Hey class. When I came to sr for the second time, back in October, I never thought I would have to rejoin another class for the 3rd time. Here we at may. Here I am. No different stories than before. But different plan of action. It all sounds like lip service to me. Not an attractive place to be, but I'm right where I am supposed to be. It's not comfortable, but there is something much bigger than me, with me. Welcome classmates. Maye this time, k can get it right.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:00 PM
  # 363 (permalink)  

Welcome, fallingtogether! Glad your back in the class!

Lux, I know. I've had a real hard time concentrating at work. I hope it's just a temporary withdrawal symptom. When I was hung-over (all the time), I was so panicked people might notice that I got super-focused on the work. Now it seems so hard to focus. Not enjoying it. Good luck to more time back at work!
Old 05-30-2013, 02:07 AM
  # 364 (permalink)  
Keeping my head up!

5/2008-3/2011 (This one hurt the most to lose)
8/2011-5/2012
11/2012-4/2013
And now back on day 4...ugh!!

But I'm here now and WILL struggle on...Thanks
Old 05-30-2013, 03:42 AM
  # 365 (permalink)  

Day 3 for me, and enjoying not being hung over. But I have been eating chocolate!!! I have myself permission to eat whatever I want the first week while I work through any withdrawals.
Old 05-30-2013, 04:20 AM
  # 366 (permalink)  

Raven - chocolate is good for the brain... I am also eating a lot of baked veggies and fruit and even some biscuits which I NEVER EAT... day 8 and I am feeling good except for the boredom thingy and my motivation in all areas is at an all time low.. I suspect that will improve in the next month or so
Old 05-30-2013, 05:14 AM
  # 367 (permalink)  

And I never eat chocolate! But it seems like a good idea right now. After a few days of being sober I'll go to my low carb diet. I'm looking forward to losing some weight, I've done it before and I can do it again!
Old 05-30-2013, 05:49 AM
  # 368 (permalink)  

Starting day 2 here. I must say walking up w/o a hangover was so good, I just thanked God that I was able to do so. I'm not particularly religious but I was filled with just an incrediable feeling for a few moments.

Helen-sorry your sister reacted that way, I'm sure it's a wake up call for her as well.

Fallingtogether-welcome back!

Jagger--good for you on day 4.

Everyone else--hope you're having a good sober day.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:32 AM
  # 369 (permalink)  

Good morning all! (Well, it's morning where I am! )

It's the 8th day for me. I started it by waking up before my alarm and realizing that I have time to work out before work. Which is good because that helps with stress from work, and gives my body a good feeling (reward) for not drinking. Also, and I swear this is NOT said in an eating disordered, unhealthy way, but all the alcohol I'm not drinking? I used it to wash down bad drunken food choices. And 8 days of not doing that? Yeah, I don't know if I've "lost weight" because I do not own a scale, and I know I haven't lost pants sizes yet, but that cute little green dress in my closet looks much better than it did last week.

I'm understanding more and more something that I haven't really gotten during the last times I've quit. "one day at a time". I catch myself thinking about something that is happening next month and the month after, and whether I will drink or not. I have to catch myself with a few points:

Tomorrow is none of today's business. I won't drink today.
If I'm thinking about whether or not I will drink tomorrow, because maybe I could drink casually by then, well.... that's alcoholic thinking.....

The second point makes me laugh. I'm far past the point where I'm not sure I'm an alcoholic or not. But even KNOWING I am, my lying alcoholic brain still tries to lie to me. It's ridiculous really. My inner dialogue went something like this:

June 19-21 is the work trip. (drinking buddy) is in the same hotel room. You'll get free drink tickets. You can use those for that trip because they will be free and everyone else will be drinking too. It's 7 AM and it's the end of May. That's would be cute if it wasn't so desperate.

I'm breaking up with an obsessive, abusive, persistent stalker. And I know from reading here that this relationship will never end. Kind of like we share a child or something. I will always have to fend this idiot off. I know it will get easier and I know there will be some days that will be harder. One day at a time, though. Time to go work out!

xoxo

Bexxed
Old 05-30-2013, 06:46 AM
  # 370 (permalink)  

Hi Dee:

You have a new member....Today is Day #4! I quit smoking in 2003 with the help of quit.net, which I found to be so helpful. Very glad I stumbled upon this forum...never underestimate the power of others sharing your goal.

I came across the following on the internet which also has been very helpful:

"Objectify your booze brain. The human brain is much smarter than the booze brain, which doesn't understand that you can live without alcohol. You can outsmart your booze brain by learning to think of it as something other than yourself as well as hear when it’s speaking to you. Objectify it by saying "it wants a drink" instead of "I want a drink." When you objectify the booze brain, you realize that it has no power over you. You are in control and it is an outsider.

All it can do is try to trick you into drinking, but you can outsmart it every time. It will try anything to get you to drink because it falsely believes that you need to drink to survive. If you are feeling bad, it will tell you to drink to feel better. If you are feeling good, it will tell you to drink to party or celebrate. In fact, it will try to use any event in your life (good or bad) as an excuse to drink. Whenever you have any thought or feeling that suggests drinking, that is the booze brain trying to trick you."

Anytime in the last 4 days when I thought about having a drink.....I said out loud "not a chance booze brain".......and it has been amazingly effective! Anyway, thought I would share...

Best, Camino
Old 05-30-2013, 08:40 AM
  # 371 (permalink)  

Bexxed and Camino:

I wish we could "like" posts here! Reading what you both just shared, I found myself nodding along. It seemed normal for so long to plan trips, dinners, vacations, and even just time with family around how I could figure out where and when to drink. When I looked at a picture of a lovely resort, or a cruise, or a fine restaurant, the first thing I did was picture myself drinking there, because drinking was "fun and relaxing."

But having my eyes opened to that, I can see how that is a skewed way of thinking. It is the drink devil on my shoulder! That is my "booze brain" - a little demon who whispers in my ear that one more drink won't hurt, everyone is having fun, so what's the big deal? But it is a big deal when I've come so close to death or jail so many times. It truly is a devil, and I need to see him for the ugly truth that he represents.

Have a beautiful day. thank you. Raven
Old 05-30-2013, 10:13 AM
  # 372 (permalink)  

Day 3 and having a rough time of it at work. This is a sure trigger to drink so I made my way out here for strength and inspiration. Camino thank you so much for the "not a chance booze brain". I've been saying it out loud already! I like that it makes the AV tangible. Something I can shove away, tell it 'NO'. This is great advice and exactly what I needed at this moment.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:01 PM
  # 373 (permalink)  

Glad to hear "not a chance booze brain" helped.....again, sharing a common goal with others (at least for me when I quit smoking) was the quickest and easiest path to success.....lots more information and inspiration is sure to come your way!
Old 05-30-2013, 01:29 PM
  # 374 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bexxed View Post
Good morning all! (Well, it's morning where I am! )

I'm breaking up with an obsessive, abusive, persistent stalker. And I know from reading here that this relationship will never end. Kind of like we share a child or something. I will always have to fend this idiot off. I know it will get easier and I know there will be some days that will be harder. One day at a time, though. Time to go work out!

xoxo

Bexxed
I love this!! Thanks!
Old 05-30-2013, 01:31 PM
  # 375 (permalink)  

Camino--I keep telling my "booze brain" to go f itself. What an a-hole it is.

I think of it as a slimy lizard-like creature. No offense intended to lizards :-)
Old 05-30-2013, 02:13 PM
  # 376 (permalink)  

I adopted "booze brain" too..
I was driving around thinking about dinner and suddenly I got a thought "oh yeah, that will taste great with some red wine" and I immediately said out loud "shut up BB"

Thanks Camino
Old 05-30-2013, 02:20 PM
  # 377 (permalink)  
Keeping my head up!

I'm having a hard time letting go of all the "what it's" when I was blacked out...damn
Rationally I know if something bad had happened I'd likely be in jail or hospital but I just what if myself to death...esp while trying to go to sleep...driving me crazy
Old 05-30-2013, 02:41 PM
  # 378 (permalink)  

Hi Jagger, just be happy you're not in jail or dead and you will NEVER have to wake up again and think "what did I do last night..."
Old 05-30-2013, 03:28 PM
  # 379 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm very sorry Leshar - I completely stuffed things up....and erased your post.

I hope you'll forgive me and repost how you're feeling.

D
Old 05-30-2013, 03:28 PM
  # 380 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Dee:

You have a new member....Today is Day #4!
Glad to have you here Camino

It's not 'my' thread tho - it's you guys'....I just drop in from time to time

Jagger - I think for peace of mind you have to let it go - even if you remembered, could you do anything to change it?

Have you heard of PAWs Leshar?

PAWS | Digital Dharma

D