View Single Post
Old 05-30-2013, 06:46 AM
  # 370 (permalink)  
camino2012

Hi Dee:

You have a new member....Today is Day #4! I quit smoking in 2003 with the help of quit.net, which I found to be so helpful. Very glad I stumbled upon this forum...never underestimate the power of others sharing your goal.

I came across the following on the internet which also has been very helpful:

"Objectify your booze brain. The human brain is much smarter than the booze brain, which doesn't understand that you can live without alcohol. You can outsmart your booze brain by learning to think of it as something other than yourself as well as hear when it’s speaking to you. Objectify it by saying "it wants a drink" instead of "I want a drink." When you objectify the booze brain, you realize that it has no power over you. You are in control and it is an outsider.

All it can do is try to trick you into drinking, but you can outsmart it every time. It will try anything to get you to drink because it falsely believes that you need to drink to survive. If you are feeling bad, it will tell you to drink to feel better. If you are feeling good, it will tell you to drink to party or celebrate. In fact, it will try to use any event in your life (good or bad) as an excuse to drink. Whenever you have any thought or feeling that suggests drinking, that is the booze brain trying to trick you."

Anytime in the last 4 days when I thought about having a drink.....I said out loud "not a chance booze brain".......and it has been amazingly effective! Anyway, thought I would share...

Best, Camino