Class of May 2013 Part 2

Old 05-28-2013, 08:27 PM
  # 321 (permalink)  

Thanks

Bigshoe
Old 05-28-2013, 10:14 PM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Yeah - my experience was I didn't pick up where I left off....I picked up at a point further down along the continuum.

I've heard it described as our alcoholism still growing even tho we stop drinking, which even now is pretty scary stuff for me to think about.

D
That is SUPER scary.

I find that after 2 weeks I am a smidge more confident that I could continue on and on, as in forever, without drinking and still be happy without ever getting that little bit of enjoyment I used to get from the first or second glass.

While I do sometimes think that way down the line I might be able to drink a little (that whole resetting belief I guess), I'm glad I don't get much of a "comforting" feeling from thinking about it. It's not like I feel I'm waiting for that moment. I try to catch myself when I think that and remember about the people I know and like who just plain don't drink and never did. That I wouldn't be the only one not drinking is important to me for some reason. I think I feel I would be missing out on pleasure.

Gotta remember it was mostly not pleasure, though. It was torment. The anticipation was torment. The day in day out fuzzy brain along with the other physical decline was torment. And of course those occasional bad days after were torment. Cost benefit anaysis says it's not worth it. If I can stay tuned into my logical brain and not let the reptilian brain take over...
Old 05-28-2013, 10:43 PM
  # 323 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=GreenEggsnHam;3985896]harvestqueen Could you leave it at the bus stop for the drunks? I'm sure they would appreciate it, and you're right, it does seem a shame to throw it away. I think I have the opposite reaction as you when I see people drunk or drinking. I just reallllly want to be a part of it, and it makes me sad. I saw a thread about movies that are supposed to inspire sobriety and I tried watching a few of those, but even seeing Jeff Bridges hurl into a toilet then pass out on the floor somehow made me think of how appealing whiskey is. My last bottle of the stuff is actually what drove me to try sobriety again. Man I like whiskey...QUOTE]

If I see someone drinking a glass, it does look appealing to me. These people on the bus were SO drunk it seemed like they were on their way to possibly barfing. At least I would be if I were to drink enough to behave like that. I automatically put myself in their shoes and practically got myself reeling as a result.

Had a short dream last night that involved a glass of red wine. Not sure if I was drinking it but in the dream I saw it up close. I've dreamt about pasta and doughnuts before, but I don't think I've had a dream that involved a glass of wine looking sensual.

GreenEggs I also feel like I wet my pants and had the courage to put on a new pair. What a metaphor.

Welcome sassu. It's still May
Old 05-28-2013, 11:09 PM
  # 324 (permalink)  

Good luck, Midlife. It's hard, I know!
Checking in at the end of day 5 for me. It was my first day back at work since quitting. Found I could not concentrate (had a splitting headache), and I seemed to "lose time" where I'd zone for an hour. Also- still shaking a bit. But my heart is slowing down and I slept last night, so win!
Still hard. I had two invites to go out drinking today, and I said I was not drinking- to loose weight for my wedding since I didn't want to get hassled. I was then asked if I could at least give them alcohol for their parties and not subsequently invited to still attend.
Sigh- like another post said- guess you find out who your real friends are.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:27 AM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Well done on getting through work Helen and for staying strong too, it sounds like it must've been hard.

I'm on day 6 and am just headed off to work myself. I had a week off last week, so I'm looking forward to things getting back to normal x
Old 05-29-2013, 02:51 AM
  # 326 (permalink)  

Day 31 - So much for me posting more often, like I said I would do in my last post (pages back). Nothing much to report, have been keeping busy with work, baking and TV lol.
I so agree with you ladybug, AV comes when you least expect it and powerful to boot, we can never let our guard down.

Stay strong everyone

Welcome to all the newcomers
Old 05-29-2013, 04:02 AM
  # 327 (permalink)  

Day 3 - Helen you're doing great. It sounds like you have your challenges, stay strong!

I think like GreenEggsnHam too - for me drinking is about the fun and the social aspect, even the bad parts. I live on an island where drinking is very socially accepted (um, #1 drinking per capita country on the planet!) and the attitudes towards drinking make it so hard to stay sober. Being hung over is socially acceptable and even normal. It's part of fitting in here. I'm afraid I won't be able to fit in any other way. But I don't want to wet my pants again, haha!!
Old 05-29-2013, 04:26 AM
  # 328 (permalink)  

hello all

still here in Sunny Greece and doing well - passed the 2 week mark on Saturday

hope you're all doing well and staying strong.

x
Old 05-29-2013, 05:10 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  
g31

Day 31 here.
I threw a surprise 43rd birthday party for my wife on Memorial Day. I made a ton of food, grilled, and also mixed up a pitcher of caipirinhas. During the party I played the role that I always have, which is to make sure that everyone's glass is full all the time. I kept thinking how ironic it was that I wasn't drinking but I was pushing the booze.
I was tempted a few times to crack open a beer (a beautiful sunny day at the beach, whsat could be better?) or pour myself a caipirinhas, but overall I was just tempted, not tested.
It was great to remember the whole party, wake up with no hangover, etc.

But I can't get over how tired I am all day long and so much earlier each evening. Everything else feels great except the exhaustion. I am taking all sorts of vitamin and herb supplements but nothing seems to make a dent in that.

Summer seems like a long time, but my goal is to be sober through it all.

Good to hear of others' triumphs on SR.
Old 05-29-2013, 05:13 AM
  # 330 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Leshar View Post
Am I totally taking this too seriously, am I losing my sense of humour??
Many of the cards with just "Happy Birthday" had pics of glasses of wine/margaritas etc on the cover.
Anyway, perhaps I'm making a mountain out of a molehill, guess I just didn't pay too much attention to the implications of these types of cards till I stopped drinking.
No, I don't believe you're making a mountain out of a molehill. IMO, alcohol use in this country has become a "glorified" epidemic. I've read a statistic that a mere 35% of people do not drink. So in affect, those birthday cards and other alcohol-related advertisements appeal to the masses.

How about this thought? How many of those 65% of American drinkers CANNOT quit and don't even know it?

I've been watching the NHL hockey playoffs and along the rink are individual advertisements on the panels - Coors Light has one of those boards and one of the major sponsors announced during commercials is Bacardi.

It definitely affects us who are trying to abstain.

Stay Strong!
Old 05-29-2013, 05:30 AM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Day 9 here as well.

Midlifecrisis, you can do this. Hang in there!

I wish you all a great sober day!
Old 05-29-2013, 05:36 AM
  # 332 (permalink)  

Good Morning, all,

Day 24 - Congrats Elly and g31 on 31 days!

g31, I have been having the same issues with being tired. Around 3 or 4 in the afternoon I suddenly start feeling so tired I can barely keep my eyes open. I am going to bed much earlier (some as early as 9pm) and when my head hits the pillow I pass out as if I am drunk! I used to be such a night person and able to stay up until 11 or 12 (especially if I was drinking). Maybe it does take longer than we think for our bodies to adjust to having no alcohol in them?

Sounds like everyone is doing well and staying strong, yay! Let's keep it up
Old 05-29-2013, 05:47 AM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Day 16, busy day scheduled. Just wanted to pop in and say hello and good luck everyone, we will do this!
Old 05-29-2013, 07:42 AM
  # 334 (permalink)  
OX

Awake for day 10 and my climb into double digits. Having coffee in a smaller mug and trying to stick to one. Maybe brew some tea after this before heading to work. No jitters no anxiety is goal of. The day.

That and stay sober! This goes for You too!
Old 05-29-2013, 07:51 AM
  # 335 (permalink)  

I am back on Day 1 after 17 days sober earlier in the month - I have GOT to make this work this time - hoping for your support !
Old 05-29-2013, 08:05 AM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Day 13 and ready to tackle some hard work!
Old 05-29-2013, 09:12 AM
  # 337 (permalink)  

day 3 for me feeling strong and hoping to lose 5lbs
Old 05-29-2013, 09:13 AM
  # 338 (permalink)  

Day 30 for me and I feel great After 1 month of everyday workout,eat healthy and not drinking beer I fit jeans 2 sizes smaller Im in love with my new life style and love my AA group,them ppl are wonderful!Still looking for my sponsor but have to talk to somebody this week.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:23 AM
  # 339 (permalink)  

One helpful thing I've found when I really want a drink is thinking of all the really bad situations I've gotten in after too much alcohol. It helps, I usually end up with a pit in my stomach that makes me never want to drink again (for 1/2 hour lol)
Old 05-29-2013, 11:24 AM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Day 2 for me. Just wanted to stop in and see how everyone is doing. For those of you in my shoes (scared, depressed, unsure) thank you for your honesty...it helps to know someone else understands. For those of you farther along in your sobriety thank you for being an inspiration. I always feel better and stronger after reading through posts.

I wish you all strength and hope!