Notices

Class of March 2013 Part 10

Old 04-10-2013, 09:06 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Just woke up to enjoy my 13th sobriety day.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:04 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Congrats, JC, keep up the great resolve!

Sassy
Old 04-10-2013, 10:38 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

On the eve of day 41 closing...thanks for the reminder BP!....I remembered about 6 months ago I had some dental work done and my dentist gave me that nasty antibiotic that can work like Antabuse in a small percentage of people. 10 days of that and after 10 days I was suppose to wait an additional 3 days. Meaning in theory 13 days of no alcohol. I couldn't make it 2 freakin days! I said to hell with that and stopped taking it. Totally could not even imagine lasting 13 days. Couldn't have done it. I'm amazed at how the time is kind of flying by now. First 2 weeks were hell. 3rd improved. 4th was easier not drinking but sometimes hard dealing with the reality of no where to run. But each time I have reality kick me in the butt, I've handled it. Not always well but I still did it and I'm getting better at doing it. Or actually I'm just figuring out it really isn't so bad being a grown up after all. It's manageable. Feeling pretty good here. Still have a handful of life problems to get through but I'm not too worried. It will be whatever it is suppose to be and there will always be a handful to deal with. In the last 41 days I have not had one day of shame or self loathing. Wasnt all joy plenty of it sucked but it has been all worth it. In retrospect, I would have volunteered to take on worse to receive what I'm feeling today. Time goes on.
Happy sober whatever day you have
Old 04-10-2013, 11:55 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Hey guys

Well it's 1 month sober today, it's quite awesome saying that, had another rough evening but got through with a pout on my face,

Obviously my brain decided to give me a kick in the ass last night. Dreamt horribly last night, had clearly been drinking as was hiding a half finished bottle of whiskey down my trousers, which wasn't working as it was a big bottle and my trousers were loose, work was involved and the police, all of which was very scary. And I woke up with a headache so fake hangover to boot!

Anywho all is good though I am knackered this morning.

Do the happy 1 month sober dance 👯 (dance)
Old 04-11-2013, 12:14 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Woohoo, congrats on one month AoS!
Old 04-11-2013, 12:32 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 360shoes View Post
I'm amazed at how the time is kind of flying by now. First 2 weeks were hell. 3rd improved. 4th was easier not drinking but sometimes hard dealing with the reality of no where to run. But each time I have reality kick me in the butt, I've handled it. Not always well but I still did it and I'm getting better at doing it. Or actually I'm just figuring out it really isn't so bad being a grown up after all. It's manageable. Feeling pretty good here. Still have a handful of life problems to get through but I'm not too worried. It will be whatever it is suppose to be and there will always be a handful to deal with. In the last 41 days I have not had one day of shame or self loathing. Wasnt all joy plenty of it sucked but it has been all worth it. In retrospect, I would have volunteered to take on worse to receive what I'm feeling today. Time goes on.
Happy sober whatever day you have
Thanks Shoes, that's a pretty good summary for me too! It hasn't always been fun or easy, but it's been worth it. It certainly is worth continuing to work at in the long term.

Before I quit my mindset was: "Life sucks (oversimplification of course), but at least I can have a few glasses of wine at the end of the day."

Now it's: "Life sucks (again, oversimplification), but there are lots of things I can do to make it better - for both myself and others."

I too feel like the time is passing quickly now, and it's getting easier although certainly not always easy. It helps me so much to be in this community of like-minded people because I think to others (normal drinkers and those with a drink problem who don't want to stop) not drinking can seem like a strange life choice. A good friend and I were talking about health recently, and I said that I'd stopped drinking indefinitely because of trying for a baby (not ready to label myself as alcoholic). Her response: "That's a bit extreme! You need to relax and enjoy a drink." It's great to be around you folks who have the same goal. A burden shared is a burden halved and all that.... To quote North: big love to all you Marchers! <3

Sorry, very rambly this morning - have a good day / night, guys!
Old 04-11-2013, 12:40 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Marcher, another really good positive post, you sound in a great place right now

Soberjane, quietly racking up the days, well done sweetie!

Bluesweater, just remind yourself drinking is not an option, keep your juice glass full and enjoy your meal.
Yesto, try meditation at night, and don't exercise too close to bed time. You are doing great.

Geek, double figures well done. And a focus in the early days Is great, keep your mind on that job, positive thinking, it's just around that corner.

Oh North, I really don't envy you! Im really hoping we have seen the last of our snow! Up into double figures at the weekend, positively balmy for our neck of the woods, I bet I see tee shirts and shorts!

Mesoso, what else are you doing to protect your recovery other than SR? Ru going to AA or using any recovery tools? Now, whilst you feel good is the time to arm yourself literally, see it as going to war for your sobriety.

Two weeks tomorrow JC doing fine. Same advice to you as Mesoso though, now you are feeling great, find out what will keep things that way.

AofS congrats on the month! Maybe it's time now to share a little more of what you are going through with your partner, not only is it easier with full support, but he will not feel so shut out or confused by your mood swings. Put yourself in his shoes for a moment.

Shoes, you have nailed it, sobriety bring with it a need to grow up. We can no longer hide form our feelings and our responsibilities the way we did as drunks. It is time to face the real world like real adult people, deal with situations and issues as we ought to.

Growing up is nothing to be afraid of, life should be met full on with head held high. We get one go round at this folks, now is your opportunity to make it count

4 weeks today for me. Yay!
Old 04-11-2013, 12:42 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Yay Toots! Huge congratulations on four weeks
Old 04-11-2013, 01:06 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Thank you BP and your positive mindset will take you far. This friend,if the only way she can think to relax is to have a drink? Hmmmm remind you of anyone???
The best answer is hey, I've learned to relax without a drink, and you know what, even after the baby I doubt I'll bother!
Old 04-11-2013, 01:32 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Thanks Toots, that's pretty much what I'm planning to say. Equally, if the baby plan doesn't work out, I still prefer life without alcohol anyway!
Old 04-11-2013, 01:56 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Snaggle, you're here! How are you doing? x
Old 04-11-2013, 02:11 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Yep well done to everyone, especially Toots, AoS and JC! Sobriety reigns eh!
I`m nearly 2 weeks sober now and def staying that way! I feel more positive than I have for about a year! Drepression and feeling of `impending doom` lessening everyday.
Hoping the baby plan does work BP ;-).
I hope Snaggle is around today!
Old 04-11-2013, 02:35 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  
sober date 4th march 2013

Morning Marchers
Yesterday I had tireditis, just could not stay awake, whats that all about?
Huge congrats to everyone for continued sobriety....was going to name one and all but having missed a day thought better of it.
Thought that Natty spoke a lot of sense in his comment reference commitment.
With regard telling people that I am an alcoholic, I dont, I generally make up some reason or other...antibiotics, driving early in the morning, anything, if you dont make such a fuss then you can usually get away with it.

Has anyone heard from Panache? Jambry? JimJim?

Have a great day everyone, stay positive and dont pick up that glass

Mick
Old 04-11-2013, 02:56 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Hey Chuff good to see you. Wondered where you were yesterday. It must be more difficult adjusting to doing a few nights a week then reverting to day life, than living a permanent night life, your body was saying it needed down time to recoup! Not sure where the other are, no sign and no contact. I hope it is because they are looking elsewhere for strength.
BP well said!
Sandgirl, enjoy the good feelings, but still prepare for dips. God forbid I become the angel of doom here, but surely as night follows day, we can never always be happy or always sad, without one we wouldn't appreciate the other. The trick here is to make sure if you do feel down or gloomy, that you have developed ways of making sure it doesn't cause you to drink.
You are doing so well, you should be really proud of yourself.
Old 04-11-2013, 03:09 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Hi toots
Am sure that you are right about nights hun.
Your right we can never be happy all the time, but we can have a positive attitude which does make the downs come less often, and when they do, less painful, IMHO.
Either way......drink is never an option

You rock Toots

Mick x
Old 04-11-2013, 03:51 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Morning Trachy

shoes, life's not always as pretty as it is through rose-colored eyeballs.

You are right Trachy..........but life is what we have been given, so it makes sense to make the most of it.

Mick
Old 04-11-2013, 04:49 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Thanks Sandgirl and BP for asking about me. I am still here lurking. It is almost a month since my first post on SR and I have been spending a bit of time evaluating the past month. I have concluded that not much has changed with me - I have the desire to quit but lack the drive/will - whatever you want to call it. I need to think about this more and really analyse why I am holding back and not fully committing. I know that fear and worry come into the equation. I havent posted much because I don't feel that I have anything positive to contribute at the minute. You are all doing so well and facing and overcoming your challenges - whereas I seem to fall at the first hurdle every time. I read your posts daily and see how positive stopping is. Its just like I can't let go of what is familiar - albeit destructive I will keep reading your posts and a lot of soul searching.

xxx
Old 04-11-2013, 04:50 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 360shoes View Post
I have not had one day of shame or self loathing.
This is my favourite part of the last 18 days now.

I'm fluctuating between "this is great" and "surely, you can moderate now..." - laughing at the latter notion. Not gonna happen.

Very busy and just skimming the threads at the moment, fibre install at the house knocked out the internet yesterday.

Strength to those who are struggling, congrats to those who are cruising.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:51 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Morning Snaggs

Love from a damp Kent

Mick x
Old 04-11-2013, 05:48 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Good to hear from you Snaggle. Giving up is scary. Keep reading and posting.:-)x