good to 'see' you Marcher

D
Old 04-12-2013, 04:48 PM
  # 182 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Hi, Marcher!
Old 04-12-2013, 05:12 PM
  # 183 (permalink)  

Hello Marchers! I just wanted to check in ..6 weeks today for me. I don’t have much time to post these days, but I am read what’s going on here every morning and it’s a source of comfort to me. I also occasionally log on with my phone if I’m going through a craving. Reading just about anything on SR just kind of resets my brain back where it should be when the AV is screaming. Didn’t think it would still be this loud at 6 weeks, but…same time, every day, and always when I’m hungry. Like clockwork.

I am not so brave as to post a picture (my goodness what if someone knows me! Lol) but I did appreciate seeing some of yours. It does help to know that there are people, just like me, not the stereotypical “alcoholic”, struggling with this everyday. It certainly is a battle, but it really makes us stronger, deeper, more grateful people, doesn’t it? I have had moments over the past few weeks where I feel like the world is opening up for me again..the sky seems bluer, I notice how soothing a breeze can feel, I understand relationships better, and feel strength in my decisions and choices. Of course it’s not all roses- some days I’m just so mad that I have to deal with this, why can’t I just be normal? I know these are just feelings, good and bad, and bad feelings make me want to drink but “the way to the other side of a bad feeling is through it, not around it” (I believe this is from “Drinking, A Love Story).

This is such a nice place to come, even if I just get to stop by once and awhile..I thank you all for your posts, the check-ins, the insightful ones, the witty ones, the silly ones….nice to know we are all striving for the same goal
Old 04-12-2013, 07:19 PM
  # 184 (permalink)  

28 days today, 4 weeks. Thanks to everyone for all their support and encouragement.

Cravings all but gone and have been since at least the end of week 2. Although, I still find myself sometimes thinking about drinking a few beers with friends, catching a buzz and having a few laughs. Unfortunately, drinking a few beers and just catching a buzz is not where my nights of drinking usually end. On the plus side, such thoughts aren't overwhelming and they aren't sometime I dwell on.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:51 PM
  # 185 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FeenixxRising View Post
28 days today, 4 weeks. Thanks to everyone for all their support and encouragement.

Cravings all but gone and have been since at least the end of week 2. Although, I still find myself sometimes thinking about drinking a few beers with friends, catching a buzz and having a few laughs. Unfortunately, drinking a few beers and just catching a buzz is not where my nights of drinking usually end. On the plus side, such thoughts aren't overwhelming and they aren't sometime I dwell on.
Congratulation Feenixx! I'd give you 4 bananas but I'm trying to stay under Natty's radar.

Oh scr*w it....
Old 04-12-2013, 07:55 PM
  # 186 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations Feenix

D
Old 04-12-2013, 07:57 PM
  # 187 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by forabetterlife View Post
Hello Marchers! I just wanted to check in ..6 weeks today for me.
I can't press my luck. Yeah FBL on 6 bananas!!
Old 04-12-2013, 08:00 PM
  # 188 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Marcher13 View Post
It was very brave when some of you posted your photos the other week and I must admit that I had the same thoughts as North about you doing that so, in a spirit of sharing, my mug will be up here over the weekend.
And a beautiful one it is Marcher!! So nice to see you and always love hearing from you. xxx
Old 04-12-2013, 08:00 PM
  # 189 (permalink)  

Hi,
If it is OK I would like to join this group. I have looked on and off at this forum for a while and have decided to go ahead and jump in and see what it is like. It can't hurt, right? I turned 42 on March 29th and that was the last day I had a drink. Today is 14 days of no drinking. I have not gone this long in YEARS. I have been a very heavy drinker since I was about 20 years old. I am not married and do not have children and have fought out the past 2 weeks very hard and by myself. I do not have a great support group as all of my friends are from when I was younger and are all very heavy drinkers. So I just wanted to introduce myself. It seems like there are a lot of nice people on here. It is not very easy for me to open up but I am going to try my best. This is all new for me as I have never gone very long without drinking since I started. Thank you.
BobbyZ
Old 04-12-2013, 08:11 PM
  # 190 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome BobbyZ

D
Old 04-12-2013, 08:12 PM
  # 191 (permalink)  
Sober Date: March 10, 2013

Welcome BobbyZ !!

Old 04-12-2013, 08:19 PM
  # 192 (permalink)  

Hi BobbyZ and a big welcome!
You are so wanted here so you just join right in with all of us. You have support now! That's is fantastic on 2 weeks. You should be very proud of yourself. You share whenever you are ready and whatever you want to share. We have people who are short and to the point and people who share a lot...and many in between.

Here are your for those hard earned glorious 2 weeks! Congratulations!
Old 04-12-2013, 08:19 PM
  # 193 (permalink)  

Thank you both for the kind welcome. I have been reading today in this thread to try to get to know some of the personalities on here. It seems to be a very interesting group!

The past two weeks have been very interesting, to say the least. I had a very hard time for about the first 5 days or so. I could not sleep very well and had night sweats and really crazy dreams. I also felt really out of it. I have not eaten well since I live by myself. I do have lots of friends, but as I mentioned, they are all heavy drinkers. They just never gave up the lifestyle of drinking from when we were young and I have been right there with them. I have avoided a lot of phone calls in the past couple of weeks for fear I would want to go out and drink. I feel much stronger but I don't think I need to be anywhere near it right now. I look forward to getting to know everyone. From my readings on here it seems there are many things that we all share. One thing I am NOT in denial about is that I am an alcoholic. I guess I just figured it was time that I gave myself the gift of sobriety. But I am scared. I have never been a sober adult. I still feel like a big kid in many ways. Thanks again. That is more than I have ever shared about my drinking ever. maybe I have found the right place. I hope so.
BobbyZ
Old 04-12-2013, 08:21 PM
  # 194 (permalink)  

How are you feeling Phebe??? Need a banana? I'm obsessed.
Been thinking about you and hoping you were feeling better.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:33 PM
  # 195 (permalink)  
Sober Date: March 10, 2013

I haven't posted in a while... I know... but here I am! 34 days Alcohol free. How many bananas do I get Shoes?

I have some bad news and some good news.......

Last I wrote I was going to make an appoint with the doc. Did that Tues. I tried to explain all my concerns with my aches and pains and drinking etc etc and because I said I get some pain up to my lower chest he gave me an EKG. Well, it came out abnormal and he told me to check into ER right away.

Now I'm terrified!! My family takes me straight away. I'm invaded by doctors... they hooked me up to all the heart monitor stuff, kept me overnight for observation. Blood tests, pokes and prods... I was scared out of my wits!!

Fast forward to the next morning... a stress test for the heart (anyone have one of those.. they shoot you up with a nuclear tracer!!) and an ultrasound to check out the organs.

The Good news is... all the results came out Negative!!! Blood work GOOD, organs GOOD, liver levels NORMAL, No heart disease!!!

Kinda takes a load off doesn't it

I am still having the pain tho! Turns out, per the docs suggestion, it is looking like a wicked case of too much ACID in the stomach and esophagus. Very simply, heartburn or acid reflux. I am trying one of those over the counter meds and tweeking the diet (no beloved morning coffee etc).

Of course WINE is very acidic and most likely what started this. If I care well for this, should be good as new in 2 weeks.

What a relief!!!!!!
Old 04-12-2013, 08:52 PM
  # 196 (permalink)  

OMG thank you Buddha. I'm so happy for you. That had to be so scary. Yep, I've had the stress test. I thought that was going to do me in! Whew. Acid reflux huh? They can do wonders getting you all fixed up there. whew again.

You are going to feel so much better now....all that and no stinky drinky. Now you can just focus on the joy of living without that liquid acid. I'm so thirsty for a fresh fruit fizzy water. Ugh, we were drinking acid...but not anymore!

A banana for every week girlfriend!

Dee, can you talk to the folks who make the jumpy things and see if they can get me a banana bunches with 4 bananas for 1 month, 6 bananas for 6 months, and 12 bananas for a year? Marchers need bigger bananas.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:08 PM
  # 197 (permalink)  
Administrator

Our Smiley Dept no longer makes to order - sorry LOL

D
Old 04-12-2013, 09:22 PM
  # 198 (permalink)  

Welcome, BobbyZ! I think we all can use help and support in getting and staying sober. IMHO it's so very hard to do by ourselves.

Phebe, happy to hear your heart is ok! acid reflux is no fun but is treatable. For me the OTC versions weren't enough and I had to go on the expensive stuff

Shoes, I'm beginning to think we should call you "bananas" instead of "shoes", lol!

I hope everyone has a great, sober weekend!!

Sassy
Old 04-12-2013, 09:30 PM
  # 199 (permalink)  

Bobby, hello. I just joined here myself and have found this to be just what I needed. Didn't want AA meetings and have been using this discussion room as my AA group. It appears that we are from all over the world, both male and female, and at various stages of sobriety.

This is day 13 for me, at first, I couldn't sleep at all and now I am sleeping like I never slept before. I have been having some crazy dreams too. I think it's because I am actually sleeping and not passed out.

My body is in recovery...I have lost weight which is a bonus. I'm not drinking all of those empty calories anymore.

Still difficult to drive passed a liquor store but I can't give in. I have to be 100% dry or I'm 100% back in the bottle.

Welcome
Old 04-12-2013, 09:34 PM
  # 200 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Saskia;3914304]Welcome, BobbyZ! I think we all can use help and support in getting and staying sober. IMHO it's so very hard to do by ourselves.

Saskia, forgive my ignorance but what is IMHO?