Notices

Class of March 2013 Part 9

Old 04-07-2013, 02:26 AM
  # 421 (permalink)  

Mid day here in Malta and this alcoholic is doing very well during his 10th consecutive day of sobriety (2nd consecutive Sunday too). Preparing for a normal family lunch, usually at this time on Sunday I would already be half drunk, nervous and concerned about where to get the afternoon dosage as shops are closed on Sunday afternoon.
Old 04-07-2013, 02:33 AM
  # 422 (permalink)  

Morning Marchers,

Feeling good here, great nights sleep. I have decided to pack in the cigs. Not going to go cold turkey but decided to cut back drastically. Going to try for 4 cigs today (from my usual 15-20) so wish me luck

Marcher - I am a bit of a tech geek and I like to have all the latest bits of tech. However I get bored very quickly and they end up stuck in draw somewhere doing nothing for years, so I put up a few handheld consoles and an old router. Better money In my pocket than stuck in a draw. I still have a load of other stuff, a camera I have used all of 4 times since I bought it (one of them to take photos of the items I just sold :p ) some old games consoles and a whole cr@p load of DVDs and vinyls. Figure i won't get a lot for them but I have so many it will probably add up

RaggedyMan is Canada Dry an alcoholic drink?
Old 04-07-2013, 03:03 AM
  # 423 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Morning all, bit of a bad night, I seem to have a trapped nerve in my elbow, it is really painful and kept me awake in the early hours. At least gson is wanting a lie in too!
As for being able to keep track of you all, I think it was Marcher who told me, open 2 windows, one to refer back to and one to write on. It makes it easy to keep track!

Ben, you are a gorgeous pup inside and out!

Panache, hope you are feeling ok today, I do miss your chatty fun posts, but will wait til your ready!
Kelly, depression is nothing to do with happiness is it? I have suffered on and off for years, and yet every day I count my blessings. I do feel though it was something of a catch 22, I drank because I was depressed, then the guilt and self loathing caused more depression so I drank again. So if I am feeling down, that is when AV says oh a drink will make it go away. Which it did until I woke up. If you don't already, but feel you need to, get some help, counselling or medication. There is nothing wrong with it.
Shoes, I prefer to think of it as a butterfly mind, flitting from thought to thought, there is often something for the rest of us in the things you think.
Marcher, what a lovely post, I hope you are well, you mention all of us except yourself!
Duffster, I hope you are feeling a little calmer today, I could picture you on that swing, how joyous!
Sass, I know you have a mad weekend so thank you for checking in and letting us know you are well,
AofS Canada Dry is like a ginger mixer, non alcoholic
Raggedy, so proud of you for avoiding temptation. Whilst everyone says to avoid situations with alcohol ( for very good reasons!) if you are sober around drunks, it does make you realise that we are not quite as suave and entertaining as we think we are!!

JC I was in Malta, about a million years ago, well 30, I thought it was lovely. Will definitely have to visit again.
In fact with so many of us living in such interesting places, we should consider vacation swaps!!!
Several folk have mentioned the film flight, I will have to look out for it.
I am still suffering from this trapped nerve, the pain is making me feel quite nauseous, but as it is neurological rather than physical it doesn't stop me from having to do my chores.

To everyone else, I hope you are well and strong, post and let us know.

. Ho hum. I hope y'all have a great Sunday morn/night/afternoon/eve.
Old 04-07-2013, 03:04 AM
  # 424 (permalink)  

Canada Dry is ginger ale Argent, I love the stuff, really hard to find over here in the UK though.

Good luck with giving up the cigs, i'm also a huge tech geek and thinking about putting some stuff up for sale. I'm really attached to my old video games stuff so I don't know if I'll be able to part with that. (Still got my original megadrive and 64 that I couldn't part with). Found my old white PSP though which I may stick up for sale. But loads of cameras and other useless tech I could get some money from.

Have a great day all of you. Today will revolve around football and stuffing myself with food.
Old 04-07-2013, 03:21 AM
  # 425 (permalink)  

Hi folks. Glad to see everyone doing so well. Sorry i haven't been around. But like panache said earlier, I just needed some down time. Just trying to clear my thoughts and focus. Anyway,I have been reading your posts and you are a great support even if u don't realise it and you always make me laugh. Take care xxxx
Old 04-07-2013, 03:37 AM
  # 426 (permalink)  

Haven't caught up with everyone yet I have had a bad weekend fell off the wagon, got another chest infection had to stay home Friday as I couldn't breathe spent the Amy feeling sorry for myself, anyway I'm back now I an do this sending hugs to everyone off to catch up with everyone's news now ! X
Old 04-07-2013, 03:45 AM
  # 427 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ArgentOfSilvae View Post
Marcher - I am a bit of a tech geek and I like to have all the latest bits of tech. However I get bored very quickly and they end up stuck in draw somewhere doing nothing for years, so I put up a few handheld consoles and an old router. Better money In my pocket than stuck in a draw.
Ah there are a few of us geeks around. I had my first geek experience -- ahem! -- 26 years ago when I used Printshop on an Apple IIe. I was part of the pioneering generation of teachers who taught computing to high school kids in the 80s and 90s. I can still speak BASIC, C, and Cobalt.

Toots: re me I am fine. I feel great since I gave up booze, did I ever mention that I gave it up?

Night John Boy and everyone.
Old 04-07-2013, 03:48 AM
  # 428 (permalink)  

Hi Snaggle, glad to hear from you sweetheart, hope you are in a good place,
June, you fell, you got up, you are back. I hope your infection is better.
AofS s and MrB, we have an original Xbox used twice, and I'm sure an old play station, do these things really have a market?? I thought everyone just wanted the newest of everything?

Chores to do will catch up later x
Old 04-07-2013, 05:08 AM
  # 429 (permalink)  

Good morning to all and happy Sunday!
Argent- Good luck on cutting back. I don’t smoke, but it’s an addiction like any other so I can imagine how difficult it must be. Don’t you love the sleep? It’s becoming my new favorite past time
Toots- Ailments like that are the worst. I have one on my heel and it just nags at me constantly. Hope it begins to heal for you.
June- You sound positive…and the best thing is that you are here and not giving up. Hope you are feeling better.
Yesterday, around late afternoon, when faced with my usual cravings (maybe not usual, they have diminished significantly and it doesn’t take much thought to realize where it would lead) I began to think of the dangerous situations I put myself in while drinking. Situations that could have changed the course of my life: I could have hurt myself, loved ones, or others, gotten a DUI, or lost my job. Why was I spared, yet others are not of those awful consequences? As if I need any more guilt, that makes me feel guilty, yet also more resolved in my commitment. I do not want to test the hands of fate any longer.
I’m feeling so introspective, emotional, and lonely lately. I think I may look into finding a good therapist, because I am at the point now where I feel I have so much in my head and no one (in person) that I can share and be just completely honest with. I have to watch everything I say when I talk to friends and family because I have things going on my life that I am not willing to share (for fear of criticism?) – drinking/sobriety, becoming involved with my ex again, money issues, and more.
Still—I’d rather be struggling with all of this than hungover or drunk, so for that I am grateful. And, of course, I am grateful for all of you. Have a wonderful day/night, wherever you are
Old 04-07-2013, 05:13 AM
  # 430 (permalink)  

@Snaggle/Toots hope both of you get well soon. Today I am 10 days sober and I'm already noticing some health improvements which I wanted to share with you (hope this dose not sound stupid)

1. My itch has decreased (not completely but at least instead of aggravating it is deteriorating)

2. The lunula on my toes and thumbs has appeared again (not much, in fact you can barley see it but 2 weeks ago it was all white nail)

3. I sleep well at night, well I still wake up but not in that nervous/panic state and I re-sleep.

4. After eating I don't vomit, like I did most of the time when I drank

5. I am noticing that some of my fear has gone.

My next target is to cut down the anti-histamines, in fact today I bought some Vitamin C tablets (vitamin C is very good source of detoxification) to replace them.

God bless you, thanks for reading my post, here is the only place where I like to share, at AA I'm not feeling that comfortable.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:17 AM
  # 431 (permalink)  

Not saying you would get much for em toots, couple of the older handhelds (psp, ds) only made 16 quid. But considering they were 6-8 years old (as I bought them when they were released) its not bad really.

I too have not sold my older consoles MrB, still have my n64, dreamcast, Saturn, ps1 and GameCube just couldn't bring myself to sell them. Dunno why to be honest I think the last time I played one of them was about 6 years ago (ocarina of time in the GC)

Smoking is going well, just having my second if the day now.

Marcher I used to love maths at school, we had some old acorn computers (first time I had ever used a pc) there was a text based adventure game I used to love. Umm I wonder if you can et it for iPad.., if only I remembered what it was called!

JC, my doctor gave me vitamin B also as apparently that gets flushed out with all the drinking
Old 04-07-2013, 05:31 AM
  # 432 (permalink)  

@Argent I fully agree with the taking the B for the 1st 30 so er days. Watch out for too much iron though.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:34 AM
  # 433 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JCMalta View Post
@Argent I fully agree with the taking the B for the 1st 30 so er days. Watch out for too much iron though.
It was a 30 day prescription actually, to be honest I don't know a great deal about medicine/vitamins ect I just do what I am told really
Old 04-07-2013, 05:39 AM
  # 434 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ArgentOfSilvae View Post
It was a 30 day prescription actually, to be honest I don't know a great deal about medicine/vitamins ect I just do what I am told really

I became a maniac about vitamins/nutrion in these last days
Old 04-07-2013, 06:20 AM
  # 435 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Juneprottey View Post
Haven't caught up with everyone yet I have had a bad weekend fell off the wagon, got another chest infection had to stay home Friday as I couldn't breathe spent the Amy feeling sorry for myself, anyway I'm back now I an do this sending hugs to everyone off to catch up with everyone's news now ! X
Hi June, sorry to hear about the infection. Those can hurt. Hope you get to feeling better. I like your picture. Blondes always look pretty in pink!

Oh well about the ride on the wagon. It happens. Kinda of like riding a bike when we first learned. Have to learn how to get your balance and then figure out how to maneuver around the pot holes and curves. Eventually we get it. Just don't give up. xxxx
Old 04-07-2013, 06:24 AM
  # 436 (permalink)  

FBL like you I have had a guardian angel watching over me during my alcoholic years, many times there have been opportunities for me or others to suffer through my drinking, and the fates protected us.
I do not feel guilt as it is such a negative emotion. I cannot take those times back, but I can be grateful they ended well and be relieved such a thing could never happen again through drink.
It is not unusual to be brimming with emotion, especially in the early days of sobriety, we have supressed so much with alcohol ( and even sometimes to allow us to continue drinking) that they tend to roam free til we learn to reign them in. I helps to have some one you can talk things through with face to face, so it makes sense to seek counselling if the is no one in your current circle to fill that role.
JC, I am glad you are able to count so many positives already in your health, more reason than ever to keep on the right road!
AofS I'm so disappointed, I thought you were away to tell me I was a secret millionaire!!! Lol! Maybe I'll just leave it boxed up for the great great great grandchildren to take to some future antiques roadshow! Good luck with the stopping smoking, it makes sense when you are literally and figuratively getting the rest of your house in order. Will you try patches? I went cold turkey about 30 years ago, chewed my nails to the elbow, but got there!
Old 04-07-2013, 06:41 AM
  # 437 (permalink)  

Not sure to be honest toots,

I have some Nicolette chewing gum and I don't really want to spend money on patches, it won't be as though ill be saving money by stopping as we smoke bacci which I have already bought this months worth, well I suppose technically i will last longer so money will be saved by not instantly if you get my meaning.

Anywho plan was to do 5 for the next 3 or 4 days then then try to cut down to 3 then 1 then none.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:08 AM
  # 438 (permalink)  

I was the same, smoked back for about 2 years before I gave up so like you didn't save much. Plus after giving up for about 6 months I decided to smoke blow, and ended up smoking about 10 roll up size joints a day!!! Cheat? Me? Never! Good luck with it, I did everything right, drank diet juice, kept freak veg stick in the fridge, took up knitting to keep my hands busy, I still managed to put on loads of weight, as I think somehow smoking affects your metabolism. Not that putting it on is your problem, and if you carry on working out regularly it oughtn't be an issue. You will be so much healthier though, it is definitely worth it x
Old 04-07-2013, 07:24 AM
  # 439 (permalink)  

I've been reading a book that turned a few light bulbs on for me. It's pretty simply written and really doesn't talk about addiction all that much but I did do a lot of highlighting. This was one thing that jumped out at me. I kinda knew it but I guess not really.

“That is one of the reasons drugs and alcohol are so popular—they change circumstances immediately. No patience is required.”

Isn't that the truth. If I was sad, angry, lonely...I wanted it to change now...And I found something that worked on the short term..with many additional not so pleasant after effects. No patience. If I was happy, I wanted it to last longer than I thought it would. No patience to find out how long it really would last. No patience. Now that I quit it makes sense to me that if I want to drink its the same thing. Its just me practicing no patience. So I guess if I want to find peace, I better practice some patience. Good news is I can practice this in many areas of my life so I don't need to limit it to drinking/not drinking. I don't want to think about that all the time anyway. So I guess I can think about this and the bonus is it helps me in all areas.

Today will be a great opportunity to practice. Sundays I always go visit my parents and get them out for the afternoon. Have you ever tried maneuvering an 81 year old with a walker and a woman with Alzheimer's through a restaurant? It takes me 20 minutes to just get them in the car. I have improved but there is still plenty of patience work for me to do. This use to be a huge trigger but now I get why and it doesn't seem to be that big of deal anymore. Patience builds strong bones and mind muscles. I will count this as my exercise today in my quest for good health.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:46 AM
  # 440 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tootsl1 View Post
Plus after giving up for about 6 months I decided to smoke blow, and ended up smoking about 10 roll up size joints a day!!!
What? I so confused. Are we still talking cigarettes??