View Single Post
Old 04-07-2013, 07:24 AM
  # 439 (permalink)  
360shoes

I've been reading a book that turned a few light bulbs on for me. It's pretty simply written and really doesn't talk about addiction all that much but I did do a lot of highlighting. This was one thing that jumped out at me. I kinda knew it but I guess not really.

“That is one of the reasons drugs and alcohol are so popular—they change circumstances immediately. No patience is required.”

Isn't that the truth. If I was sad, angry, lonely...I wanted it to change now...And I found something that worked on the short term..with many additional not so pleasant after effects. No patience. If I was happy, I wanted it to last longer than I thought it would. No patience to find out how long it really would last. No patience. Now that I quit it makes sense to me that if I want to drink its the same thing. Its just me practicing no patience. So I guess if I want to find peace, I better practice some patience. Good news is I can practice this in many areas of my life so I don't need to limit it to drinking/not drinking. I don't want to think about that all the time anyway. So I guess I can think about this and the bonus is it helps me in all areas.

Today will be a great opportunity to practice. Sundays I always go visit my parents and get them out for the afternoon. Have you ever tried maneuvering an 81 year old with a walker and a woman with Alzheimer's through a restaurant? It takes me 20 minutes to just get them in the car. I have improved but there is still plenty of patience work for me to do. This use to be a huge trigger but now I get why and it doesn't seem to be that big of deal anymore. Patience builds strong bones and mind muscles. I will count this as my exercise today in my quest for good health.