Notices

Class of March 2012 Part 6

Old 07-08-2013, 12:15 AM
  # 381 (permalink)  

Will be thinking of you today Jeni. Just a few weeks to go right...? x
Old 07-09-2013, 12:38 PM
  # 382 (permalink)  

How is everyone doing?

I feel like a right ninny today because I very nearly forgot my mum's birthday, which is a cardinal sin in my family. It was very fortunate that I had already sent a really nice card to her with a few little presents which I'd done to try and make her feel better but no where does it say happy birthday on it! I'm a little sad because a nice gesture is now going to be a bad birthday present. I have sent flowers too now. Is anyone else incredibly feckless like this? I can't believe I had forgotten (It's tomorrow!).
Old 07-09-2013, 10:04 PM
  # 383 (permalink)  

Oops! Well I forget birthdays regularly, I'm absolutely useless. I'm sure your Mum will love her flowers and gifts though Hypo. Don't sweat it.

I'm forgetting more and more these days, I'm putting it down to my age!x
Old 07-09-2013, 11:15 PM
  # 384 (permalink)  

Feckless - nice word

And yes, all the time. Your post has reminded me that it's my brother's birthday tomorrow, so thanks for that!

If you feel glum about it, send her something else as well that she'll get a couple of days later - then she'll be all, 'oh flowers are lovely especially while it's so sunny' and enjoy her flowers, and won't be expecting anything else until 2 days later oh my god look what my lovely daughter did!!

Stealth gifting. They never see it coming
Old 07-10-2013, 02:17 PM
  # 385 (permalink)  

'Stealth gifting' I like it. Glad I helped you remember your brother's birthday too, I feel useful now

I've had a fairly traumatic day as my nephew was in a serious accident yesterday. I only found out this morning and it's been horrible because we haven't known what was happening as he was having an operation today. My sister is beside herself and thinks it's all her fault and to add insult to injury her partner (who is the twatiest man in twatonia) decided to comment that it 'wouldn't have happened on his watch'. So I have been seething with anger over that as well as really emotional over what she had to go through. I feel pretty useless at this point but at least he is out of danger for now though he's still in hospital.

To add to my feckless theory I have also fallen over twice today, bad enough to have to sit on the floor for a bit to recover. I feel like an old lady, and the worst thing was I never fell over when I was drunk. And I am feeling all hypochondriacy again because I have had this pulse in my throat for days now. I think it is anxiety because I am going on a little holiday next week and although I don't feel like I work myself into a state I do fuss alot and occasionally break out in hives.

Sorry, just moaning out loud. I hope you've all had a better day than me.

Oh, the good thing was though that I didn't think about drinking My sis still drinks a lot and I know this is going to be a tough time for her. It has reminded me so much of when my dad died and I drank so much then. It feels much better staying sober through stuff like this x
Old 07-10-2013, 10:03 PM
  # 386 (permalink)  

Oh so sorry about your nephew, I hope you hear some encouraging news today xxx. Sounds like your sisters partner is less than supportive, it's a good thing she has you in her life.

Are you going on holiday on your own? Anxiety can have the strangest effects on us physically. I also get light-headed and clumsy (because I stop concentrating on the basics and trip over things!) Worrying will make it worse, so try and chill a bit. You will be just fine xxx
Old 07-10-2013, 10:13 PM
  # 387 (permalink)  

God honey I'm so sorry! My 9 year-old nephew had to have his appendix out last month and I was fraught. You poor thing. Let us know how he does, okay?

And it's okay to feel all hypochondriacy (I went with your spelling, although my computer seem to think that maybe that isn't a real word? ) I'm coming to terms with the fact that every time I'm 'coming down with a bit of a cold' and then sleep for a day and feel fine, that maybe it was all in my head, and that bashing around the place 24/7 takes it out of a girl. So maybe the pulse is anxiety and stress - that's even more reason to be kind to yourself than if it was sickness, right? Tea, chocolate, lots of breathing.

So glad you're not drinking, and that you've got some time off.

I drank the other day. Mad decision. I had some moderately bad news and when I got home, H had bought beer to commiserate. Crazy - he hasn't done anything like that since we quit, a year and a half ago. I mean, I know had that relapse over Christmas, but that was after us discussing it and deciding together that we would. This was just weird. So I thought it over and drank the beer, then went out and bought some more beer to see it off. It was a hot as hell night and I had to go to school with my first hangover in forever.

And I've got to admit, I kind of feel okay about the whole thing. I didn't enjoy it, I'm not beating myself up over it, it's cleared up the massive romanticisingness (ha!) that I've been indulging in - I HATE being an alcoholic, I love being sober, I don't want to drink, because as much as not being able to drink sucks, drinking actually sucks more.

And H has promised never to do that again. He actually said the next day that he was surprised when I went out and bought more beer. What??? I forget that he's an addict but not an alcoholic. So he can't have opiates, but doesn't get the deal with alcohol. Grr!!

So, yeah. That's that, really. Not a relapse, definitely a lapse and a very odd one. Not to be repeated.

How's INH getting on, and where on earth is Jenny? Hope you guys are okay xxxx
Old 07-10-2013, 10:14 PM
  # 388 (permalink)  

Oh there you are Jen! Are you okay? xxx
Old 07-10-2013, 10:19 PM
  # 389 (permalink)  
Administrator

sorry about your news Hypo - I hope your nephew will be just fine.
Welcome back Hux

D
Old 07-10-2013, 10:47 PM
  # 390 (permalink)  

Hi Hux. I'm ok x

You know what you should have done with that moderately bad news...talked it out. Had a cry. Had a rage. Had a sulk. ANYTHING but drink over it. Because that just makes everything worse. And the thing is, it opens that door a little bit. Our alcoholic brains go...'well that wasn't so bad, I had a bit of a headache but I've stopped again'
It starts becoming a possibility again and we forget the reality that it brings total misery and sucks big time.

Post on SR. E-mail a friend, phone or text....you know where I am my friend xxx
Old 07-10-2013, 11:05 PM
  # 391 (permalink)  
Administrator

awesome advice Jeni

D
Old 07-11-2013, 12:13 PM
  # 392 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear you drank Hux. Disappointing ain't it? Even the times where I had not stopped drinking but intended to and been sober or soberish (my made up words are better than normal words ) for a day or two, I remember the massive disappointment when I drank again, like, 'is that it?' Like the hypochondria, it was like I was making a fuss over nothing and I'd think, well I don't really like it so I won't do it any more. But then I would drink all night and go out for more and be a happy drunk for a few hours until I got to miserable drunk and then feel awful in the morning and the whole cycle would happen again. I lived like that for years.

I know how it is hard to cope with bad news and stay sober, but that really does go away once you've been sober for a bit and you have accepted that alcohol isn't a miracle cure all. I have been surprised at the sh*t that has happened to me which would normally send me into a drinking tailspin and I just haven't responded in that way. It might not be consistent yet but it is progress nonetheless.

More for the feckless pile... the nice card I sent to my mum I sent to the wrong address! She has lived in the same place for over 5 years now. She eventually got it though and it made her cry, so mission accomplished

My nephew is out of hospital now. He's got to be really careful not to bash his wrist as it was really badly cut but at least he is okay. My sister sounds a bit better too. I sent him up like a million moshie monsters and some DVDs and will hopefully get to see him next week

Where are you INH...? And Nicky? x
Old 07-11-2013, 12:24 PM
  # 393 (permalink)  

Glad your nephew has picked up Hypo x

It's FRIDAY tomorrow guys!!! I've truly had enough of this job. I'm still waiting for suggestions for alternative careers Hux..ones that don't involve testing 'things' preferably...!! Xxx
Old 07-11-2013, 12:30 PM
  # 394 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. It was less about coping with bad news as coping with finding beer in my house and nose-diving into it. I'm embarrassed about it but not scared. Hypo, your comment about disappointing is exactly right - it hasn't sparked anything or solved anything or changed anything, apart from me feeling like a dick. I definitely won't do it again, and H understands that. And Jenny, you're spot on about texting I hope your day was okay sweetie xx

Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
More for the feckless pile... the nice card I sent to my mum I sent to the wrong address! She has lived in the same place for over 5 years now. She eventually got it though and it made her cry, so mission accomplished
Brilliant! Bless you. I consider making my mom cry a mission accomplished too, but probably for different reasons haha! So glad it got sorted in the end and oh my god, that's just reminded me to text my brother. You're a genius! Thank you so much for taking charge of my familial calendar.

On a completely unrelated note, I got to hold a mummy today. As in an Ancient-Egypt, 2,500-year-old, still got the skin on, really dead lady in pieces and I got to hold her with my actual hands.

Best day ever.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:32 PM
  # 395 (permalink)  

Jenny! I keep messaging at the same time as you

Hell yeah it's Friday tomorrow, and I'm on it, I'm on it! Did you read about my mummy?? I had a busy day!

Love you xxx
Old 07-11-2013, 12:41 PM
  # 396 (permalink)  

I dunno, holding dead person with a hangover doesn't sound like fun to me

Do you think you want to move away from school work altogether Jeni? I remember when we were talking about it ages ago that the travel time was a major down side and you were looking at stuff closer to home. And then your friend/boss guilt tripped you into staying and with more responsibility... Is it not possible to go back to that option?

To be honest hux, I still haven't survived beer in my house. It has only happened twice when family has come to visit but it wouldn't have been an option to drink with them. I am not sure how I'd cope with it in my house and having the opportunity...
Old 07-11-2013, 12:50 PM
  # 397 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
I dunno, holding dead person with a hangover doesn't sound like fun to me
Ha!

And,
To be honest hux, I still haven't survived beer in my house. It has only happened twice when family has come to visit but it wouldn't have been an option to drink with them. I am not sure how I'd cope with it in my house and having the opportunity...
...thanks Hypo. It was some weird kind of not wanting to let him down when it was supposed to be a nice surprise for me. I mean, you guys know H. He's a super-supportive near-angel, and I'm tough and committed. The whole thing was weird as hell, and never to be repeated.

So! We need to come up with some ideas for Jenny before she loses her fricken mind...
Old 07-11-2013, 01:00 PM
  # 398 (permalink)  

Yes, I really fancy doing something completely different now. I have no idea what though. Yes, I have a long commute to work, and yes, I was sort of offered something at a school just around the corner which I didn't take because my current boss is also my friend and she laid a huge guilt trip on me. That other job is no longer available.

I have given this managerial job 6 months and I'm just not enjoying it 1 bit. I have to say I've learnt a lot though, I've got more confident at crisis management and working under pressure and its toughened me up that's for sure. But I don't want to spend the next 17 or so years before I retire doing this. Time to move on, but I'm not sure in what direction.

Also, although money isn't hugely important to me or H, I do earn a fairly decent salary now and got a daughter headed off to uni next year. So I can't just stroll off into the sunset. I need a plan....

I do have alcohol in the house by the way. A few bottles of wine that were given to our son as gifts. They don't bother me at all. I wonder how I would feel about a bottle of vodka though?.....I'm pretty sure I would be ok, but I'm not going to risk it!x
Old 07-11-2013, 01:00 PM
  # 399 (permalink)  
Random Guy

Hey ladies, figured I would check in as I have been keeping up with you all but not posting anything myself.

Hypo glad your nephew is okay, I was wondering what happened to him, and yes stepfather (I think I remember you calling him that) sounds like a doucher. Statements like that are selfish, hurtful, and ego feeding all in one. People using them don't realize how much they can hurt the other person while only stroking their own ego a tiny bit. Though I think a little to in depth about what people say anymore as most people (including me) just spout out whatever their are thinking at the time with no thoughts of concept whatever on how another person might hear it.

Stills (hux) sorry to hear about the "episode", trust and believe I understand, I still hang on to a hazy memory of my last drunk where I was stumbling drunk but pissed off that I couldn't get drunk enough. I remember standing outside my door staring at a beer just frustrated that it wasn't working. There is no happy place for me there anymore. That's one of the reasons I have been able to put a few days between me and that event, the final illusion was shattered before me and the truth laid bare, (I know how you like it when I talk fancy) I was miserable and there was no Narnia hidden in the dregs of the bottle.

Jen I used to have a job with an important sounding title H.A.T.T. Hydro Aluminium Transport Technition. Or for the layman irrigation pipe mover. I don't know why but your want of a new job reminded me of that.

I am back in California after a sucessfully sober wedding. I got a sppeding ticket leaving newyork, which is just wrong. It should be illegal to give a service member a ticket on the fourth of July weekend and his birthday. That is just wrong lol. I kinda felt like crap leaving though, leaving my friend and people and going back to the grind of my life was depressing but I dealt with it and am doing alright now.

Tuesday I had duty at the barracks, which means I sit there and make sure no one does anything they aren't supposed to all night long so Wednesday I was nodding off during class and barley paying attention. Last night I think I slept 10 hours which is miraculous for me and I am feeling pretty good today.

Also I finally got all my stuff from Africa today so I now have more than four pants and shirts lol.

Have a good one all.
Old 07-11-2013, 01:13 PM
  # 400 (permalink)  

Jenny, I reckon that just making the decision to get moving is huge, and doesn't have to be followed up by a quick change. As soon as I made the decision I started to feel better, and although the whole interview process was stressful and scary, it was a cool challenge and worth it.

As for jobs, I'd just start seeing what's out there. You have a wealth of high-level transferable skills to offer, and cool jobs come up all of the time. I didn't think I'd go from classroom teacher to what I do now, I just sort of followed my nose and some interesting offers. If you know you don't want to spend the next 17 years in this job (is that what you said?) why not give yourself something like 2 years to find something else? And just start poking around?

Originally Posted by InsertNameHere View Post
the final illusion was shattered before me and the truth laid bare, (I know how you like it when I talk fancy) I was miserable and there was no Narnia hidden in the dregs of the bottle.
I do! Haha! That Narnia line was lovely - I may steal that one day. And I'm glad you've managed to dress yourself

So impressed you did a sober wedding-4th-birthday. And I know it's breaking the law and all, but getting a speeding ticket in NY is kinda rock and roll

Man, I love you guys
xxx