Notices

Class of May 2012 part 14

Old 11-30-2012, 02:59 PM
  # 321 (permalink)  

Quick check in

Rainy day here in CA..no complaints we need it. Hanging in there, just doing My best for today. Short break in rain, so off to do a few chores. Everyone have a safe, sober Friday.
Bloss
Old 11-30-2012, 03:26 PM
  # 322 (permalink)  

hi folks. i need to get track of those counts again i'm doing ok, apart from i think that the pain i get in my leg comes from digging up potatoes, and having to have it on the cold, wet, stony ground.
which is why it came back at full blast last night, leading to a lack of sleep, and a very tired me all day.
still, i'm feeling ok now. which is good

bloss, 2magnolias - good to hear from you both.

onelesslonely - i too could use more exercise. not sure where and when, or what, but i'll think of something. congrats for keeping your training going.

jeni - glad you slept well, and hope tonight goes well. your determination comes across so strongly.

soberjanedoe - hope the insomnia gets better. and no, it's not much fun being the only sober person in the crowd. at least, that's what i found the one time i met up with the ol' gang and didn't drink... [dunno why i didn't drink that night. maybe i was trying to prove something?]

fp - hope the work goes well.

as for me, i'm about to have supper, and then call it a night.
good night folks, sleep well.
love and hugs to you all.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:32 PM
  # 323 (permalink)  
Sober Mammoth!

Take-home project is finished!!!!!!!!!!!!! First stab at writing a grant. Geez, what a lot of detailed, arduous work. I can write pages of common folks' BS (as all of my beloved boaters know so well), but ask me to pare down to 500 words here and 250 words there... sheesh and good lawd almighty! I am beat, bushed, pooped, spent, fried, face-down flattened, stick a big ol' fork in me 'cuz I is DONE.

Pach is hitting the sack, my cherished May mates. Hang tough in glorious sobriety. Love and hugs to all.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:30 PM
  # 324 (permalink)  

Well done FP! So pleased you haven't got that project hanging over you for the weekend xx

I've woken up really reflective this morning. All my relationships with other people have changed since I got sober. I really feel I am growing up in so many ways. I am aware that me not drinking has had a ripple effect on many others, but I'm not responsible for their reactions. I can only be true to myself.
I enjoyed last night but it wasn't without some sadness that I let go of a part of my old life.
I drank so often to fit in, to cover some social anxiety, to feel a part of it. Sober I had to rely on my inner confidence which can be fragile sometimes. I was teased incessantly about not drinking but I took it and it didnt lead to any feeling of isolation. I did ok. And today I am hangover and shame free. I have moved on. It feels good.

Xxxx
Old 12-01-2012, 06:03 AM
  # 325 (permalink)  
Sober Mammoth!

Teacher Jeni! Big Mammoth hugs of love to you, my transatlantic sister. I am so proud of you for staying rock-solid strong and confident in your sobriety. Wonderful that you had a lovely time with your friends and took their pressuring jabs in good-natured, steady stride. I'm thinking that your non-drinking and calm, mature demeanor influenced many of them to reconsider their own relationships with alcohol. You are a shining example of sober success, my friend.

Boaters, I suggest we declare today, Jeni Day, in honor of her inspirational sober accomplishment.

Old 12-01-2012, 06:16 AM
  # 326 (permalink)  

Day 53 and hanging strong. Congrats Jeni!

FP--you are such an uplifting person. You are supportive of so many and have so much to give.

Have a great day everyone!
Lee
Old 12-01-2012, 06:29 AM
  # 327 (permalink)  

Oh my goodness!!!! I am lost for words....
And that doesn't happen very often!!!!
Old 12-01-2012, 08:37 AM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Good morning, Mayans!!!

It's a great Jeni Day!. WTG, Jeni!

OLl, Bloss, Em - hope you are all well today!

FP, congratulations on finishing project! Yes, grant-writing is a challenge and almost an art form. My boss has done some big ones that take weeks or months to prepare and I don't think I could do it. Great that you have the talent for it! Your comments to Teacher Jeni are spot on!

Lee, congrats on Day 53 and I agree with your comments about FP!

Jeni, (((hugs))) across the pond! You are so amazing and strong and wise! You deserve all good things after all the hard work you have done :-)

To everyone else, have a happy weekend and enjoy being sober!

Sassy Sas
Old 12-01-2012, 10:11 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Morning Mayans

Wet, rainy day here.

Jeni: so happy,you are showing real commitment to your sobriety...

Saskia: have a great weekend

Lee: good job on 53 days

FP: I'm with you today is definitely Jeni Day

Emily: stay strong, hope your leg feels less painful!

OLL: deep breathing is a great idea, slow things down a bit

2Magnolias: 3.5 miles and the gym! Wish I had such motivation!

SoberJane: Hope anxiety lessens soon, alcoholism is strong in my family, many of my relatives are actively drinking. Some have slowed down, or quit...alcohol has really caused lots of problems in my family

HRB: hope all is well!

Take care everyone
Bloss
Old 12-01-2012, 04:02 PM
  # 330 (permalink)  

FP - You are such a wonderful and supportive friend. I love the idea of "Jeni Day".

Jeni - You are truly an inspiration to me. Congratulations on "Jeni Day" Being in that situation and not letting it affect you is wonderful

Hope everyone has a wonderful evening.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:05 PM
  # 331 (permalink)  
Sober Mammoth!

Happy Jeni Day, my phenomenal May mates! Day 203 on this first day of December. Can you believe it’s December already?! Phew, where does the time go? Spent a luxuriously lazy Saturday rearranging furniture, making calls, and lounging on the front porch enjoying our slightly warmer temps.

You-Rock: Thinking about you, sober mate. Big Mammoth hugs of love to you.

Tanja: Always wonderful to read your posts, girlfriend. How are you doing? How are your four-footed beasties? Thank you for your lovely words to me.

Bloss: How is your beloved Blossom coming along? Best wishes to you and your furry baby. How are you doing today? Big hugs to you.

iPad G-ma: Snow and 16 degrees F? Yikes! Heck, that deserves a double yikes-yikes! Yes, grant writing is tough, for sure. Certainly not something I plan on jumping into again too soon. How is everything going with you?

Bionic Lee: Congrats on 53 awesome days! Getting close to the next milestone, woo hoo! Thank you so much for your kind words, too.

Teacher Jeni: It’s Jeni Day! Yay! Thinking Sunday would make for a good extended Jeni Day, too. Your daughter has a great outlook on handling school and stress. She must have gotten her smarts from her mama. So much love to you.

Emily: Now we have potatoes, too, for our Mayans’ sober backpacking trip! I hope your leg feels better tomorrow. Pain can cast a huge pall over the day. Big hugs and well wishes to you.

OneLess: Thank you for your terrific advice to our boaters. And, yes, I did feel productive in cranking out that grant-writing project. Now I’m happy to feel lazy and a little useless while I rest up. How are you doing, my friend?

SoberJane: Excellent that you’re staying sober, May mate! Keep up the awesome work. You sound very strong in the face of your family’s substance issues. We’re all here to cheer you on, girlfriend. And my Christmas drinks are hot chocolate and eggnog (non-alcoholic). I like eggnog in my morning coffee, too.

Dee: Loving Floyd in his Santa hat, good buddy.

2Mags: Great to hear from you, classmate! Hope you’re feeling better. And 3.5 miles, wow! You’re my hero on the running front. Awesome job on the sober strength. Keep up the terrific work.

KittyCat: Glad you’re enjoying the silly elephant pics. I laughed over the elephant in the movie theater wearing 3-D glasses. Great advice to Jeni for fighting insomnia. How are you doing this weekend, sober kitten?

I’m taking peeks at the black-and-white movie, “It’s a Wonderful Life,” while writing to my beloved boaters. George Bailey grabs Clarence by the shoulders and shakes him for information on finding Mary. Clarence says, “She’s an old maid. She never married.” An old maid? Geez. What’s the male equivalent? An old fart? Times have changed so much and in so many ways since that movie was made in 1946.

Wishing all of my cherished boaters a lovely evening and a sound sleep. And to our May mates who haven't posted in a while, please come back home to us. We miss you! Love and hugs to all.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:07 PM
  # 332 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope everyones doing well - busy times right now...hope to catch up with this thread and others properly soon

D
Old 12-01-2012, 11:04 PM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Every so often it's like my brain and body tell me it's time to step off the mad merry go round of work/life/sobriety over-thinking for a while. I think that's happening at the moment. Just for a day or 2 the anxieties and strive for perfectionism give up and disappear and I feel 'normal'.
Yesterday I did some shopping, came home and slept all afternoon. H came home from work, I cooked dinner, then slept all evening. Went to bed and slept all night......
No waking up with fear, no anxious knot in my stomach, no worry.
Today I'm on my own all day. I'm going to sort out Christmas stuff, write letters to old friends, and enjoy this brief interlude in my crazy busy life.
I want to make a meeting tonight to pick up my 6 month chip, but if I don't make it then that's ok too.
This time last year I was off work for nearly a month with depression. At Christmas I was at a very low point. The lowest really.
This year I'm planning my Christmas and have a peace and calmness I never thought possible. My struggles with insomnia and stress are still just around the corner but its like I've been granted a reprieve this weekend.
I need to make the most of this. Allow myself to really feel it. Am a great one for self-sabotage. But not today...

Tanja-I relate to you a lot. I understand your struggles. Hang in there my friend. You are a brave strong person xx
FP-you are just the kindest most thoughtful person. I'm truly inspired by you. Thankyou for all your words to me, I felt a little overwhelmed yesterday, but you just know what to say. Loads and loads of love to you. I share your thoughts about our missing May friends. Having originally posted in March, I know this sort of happens. People disappear. For a while it was just 2 of us in touch on that thread, but gradually people have reappeared. We are still a family, always here in case they decide to return.

Having said that, I would really like to hear from Deserto!! He isn't allowed to just take off!! Get your butt back here please cowboy!!!

This thread and SR are just so very important to me. I can be one crazy mixed up nutcase, but you put up with all my nonsensical posts and that means a lot.

You guys are the greatest xxxxx
Old 12-02-2012, 02:10 AM
  # 334 (permalink)  

have been taking care of my 2yr old niece all weekend and I am buggered!

Going to go pass out now.

14 days today.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:30 AM
  # 335 (permalink)  

SJD-your post made me chuckle. Kids eh?

Congrats on 2 weeks!!

Me and hormonal teenage daughter have just put up our tree, it looks lovely! It is a tradition that we don't involve H as he generally gets bad-tempered and loses his temper over lights that don't work, baubles without string and other life threatening issues. It was all done in peaceful conditions with Michael Buble singing in the background. It was nice of him to join us....
I feel happy today, the sort of happy that I guess I must have felt as a small child caught up in the magic of Christmas before life turned on me and made me scared. This could very well be the best Christmas ever x
Old 12-02-2012, 06:06 AM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Good morning, Mayans!

I'm catching up on what I missed since yesterday and it's a lot and all good!

Bloss, always nice to hear from you. How is Blossom's eye?

Tanja, I see you faithfully reading and I really enjoy your posts. What's happening with you?

FP, another priceless elephant avatar! I'm doing well, thank you! I've been trying to find the iPad G-ma avatar again but no luck so far. There was another one with it that would be so appropriate right now -- the same drawing but she is using a walker and waving her iPad instead of sitting. That would be perfect right now since I think every muscle in this old body is sore from my trainer's ministrations! I hate to say it but that movie was made after I was born!

Dear Jeni, your post is amazing! Sometimes I think it could be a good thing to read some of our own older posts and compare them with our current ones. I'm thrilled that you are having such a great weekend! I'll bet your tree is lovely :-)

Jane, congratulations on 14 days! And yes, taking care of children can be a real challenge!

Rock, good buddy, I hope you're ok!

And, of course, a happy Sunday to all!

AFM: not a lot to report. I'm feeling strong and my mood is excellent. The exercise is making an enormous difference! I had one small slip and so went back to day 1 but I will make 30 days in 2012. :-)
Old 12-02-2012, 06:19 AM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Hey sassy, so glad you're positive and happy. Think about ending the year on 30 days and how brilliant that will feel. We're right behind you xxx

Funnily enough I read some of my old posts today, in particular the one I wrote on 25th May when I relapsed. I was in such a state. What a mess!
What a difference 6 months makes, and what a difference knowing you all has made to me. Thankyou xxx
Old 12-02-2012, 06:30 AM
  # 338 (permalink)  

Hey Jeni, yes, I made up my mind that I will not carry over this waffling past 2012! I can make it before January 1st and will!

You and all of the other Mayans are such an inspiration to me! Exercise seems to be the biggest key for me. Getting those endorphins going is amazing. Yesterday I took a long walk to pick up the newspaper instead of driving as I usually do. I had a great night's sleep last night with no meds. I don't have terrible insomnia anymore but had been needing meds a couple of nights a week. Now I am sleeping really well :-)

Sassy Sas
Old 12-02-2012, 06:38 AM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Good Morning All,

Jeni - How wonderful that you finally got caught up on your sleep! I know first-hand how awful insomnia can be. Your days sounds just right. Lots of relaxing activities and not pushing yourself to go to the AA meeting. That chip will always be there

Jane - Congratulations on two weeks of sobriety

Sas - Thank you for asking about me I have been depressed the past few days. My chronically not feeling well and inability to drive has played a huge role in that. I was determined to drive to my service position on Thursday. My husband was not home from work and I attempted to drive, even though I did not feel refreshed or alert. Despite a nap and six miles on the treadmill! I started fell wiggy and took my anxiety medication at the stoplight. I drove to a shopping center to try and calm down. I realized I couldn't drive the next 2 miles to the meeting in this condition. I had to make it back home. I resembled a drunk driver. I would hug the curb and then swerve back into the lane. My "problem child" dog was shaking and scratching his ear. My husband drove us to the vet Friday evening. We got home and he tried to mess with the cat (that he formerly attacked) and I grabbed him by the collar and he tried to attack the other dog. Saturday I was up at 4:00 am and we picked up the pups from the vet (neutering). The bill was $1,700. I have to keep them separate from the other animals until they mend. The animal behaviorist wants me to get a muzzle, another medication and start walking him (challenging) with the other dog. I have to give my one dog eye medication, the cat eye medication, the dog ear medication and the pups medication. I feel overwhelmed and completely at my wits end as to why I don't ever feel well enough to do the things I want to. I have been working very hard at changing my negative thinking. The fact is that I did drive. Although, it wasn't as far as I would like - I did drive that is a success. Also, I have a lot on my plate right now with the animals. I don't have to be superwoman and this too shall pass. I have also considered getting on hormone replacement therapy. I didn't want to do it because of the health concerns, but if it will make me feel better - it is something I am going to try.

My goal for today is to rest up, exercise and drive to an AA meeting tonight.

Wishing everyone a wonderful Sunday
Old 12-02-2012, 06:44 AM
  # 340 (permalink)  

FP - I failed to mention you in my post! I am doing better today Like Jeni - I took a four hour nap yesterday. I love your x-mas avatar. Congratulations on 204 days of sobriety! Wow - 7 months is right around the corner Do you have any special plans for your 7 month anniversary? Thank you for your always kind and supportive posts.