Notices

Class Of October 2012

Old 10-01-2012, 07:44 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

I'm in.

I was doing a lot of research on AVRT and it really makes sense to me. After reading about it and going thru the crash course I have decided to try it out for a couple of weeks or so..

if it fails, I plan on returning to NA.. but I feel such a sense of peace and releif already, maybe 12-step programs aren't for me..
Old 10-01-2012, 07:46 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JimJim View Post
Yes MTN! do-it, is what I have been using too, I said to myself, 'I need a life!' So I printed off a heap of stuff and set out upon getting one. I everything from organising excurions for kids, to walking old people's dogs. I took them to my local volunteering centre as instructed and finally have something coming up!

Good to have you Ken, I always find great wisdom in your posts.
Good for you JimJim! I'll have another look at it later. I'm quite happy to be a 'befriender' to the elderly, but then I get this guilt trip that I should see my own Nan more! (I see her at least once a week) She'd probably get the hump - Oh, I expect you're doing something for erm... 'Sylvia' now! She probably wouldn't be like that at all, just feels a bit odd. They are looking for Appropriate Adults in my area - where you have to sit in on police interviews or the like for youngsters. That is something I would love to do, but some how I can't see being 'on call' being the same as Mon, Weds and Fri morning between 8.30 and 12.30!

Oh well, I'll keep an eye out as need to do something. Dog walking is a great idea, DD is desperate for a dog, it could be a happy medium

Originally Posted by elderine View Post
Good ideas - reading, mandalas, volunteer work. One of the most painful things I've realized, through the booze fog, is that I've pretty much lost all of my interests and hobbies and become a deeply boring person. Because all I did in my free time was drink. It's exciting to think that I could actually be more engaged in the world and enjoy activities again. Unfortunately I still imagine myself classily drinking a glass of wine while reading some sort of high book, but the reality is more that I would be guzzling a bottle (or box!) of the cheapest wine I could find, in sweatpants, staring blankly at the TV.

I like Oct-sober.
I hear you elderine! During the summer I was caught out with the romantic notion of a glass of wine on a summers eve on the patio. It was more like 8 cans of Stella throughout the day sitting in my overgrown garden. Sigh.

I HAVE to do this now and get some clarity before Christmas sets in... more romance, the fire is on, the decorations are up... mulled wine and carols? More like vodka and alka-seltzer. It's my birthday on Boxing day too... I'm already preparing - I'm going to take my kids to the zoo!
Old 10-01-2012, 08:30 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Maybe this will be my month????
Old 10-01-2012, 08:58 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

I made it four nights and onto day 5. I made it a week a few years ago, but other than that, I don't think I've had more than 2 days (very rarely) in as long as I can remember. I slept last night, hurray! First night, no sleep. Second, troubled, nightmare sleep. Third, wide awake, and then blessed sleep!

I'm feeling pretty good, and more determined than anything. Other times I have been all about holding the monster at bay. This time, I feel much more positive, proud and eager to face my new life.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:19 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Thanks canguy. Hey justhadenough. And hello everybody else. I love the support we give eachother, its great.

Today marks a full week of sobriety for me. I've had a few instances of increased clarity and a lifting of the "fog of depression" so to speak. So I am looking forward to more moments like that.

As for now, my motivation is low, but I am going to chalk that up to it being pretty dreary outside. Couldn't muster the courage to go to an AA meeting today... Maybe tomorrow. We'll see. One day at a time...
Old 10-01-2012, 09:21 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

I've been reading the book, "Under the Influence", and that has been pretty good at keeping my head on right as far as not wanting to drink anymore. I recommend it to any of you guys who could use that sort of influence. It is the straight truth about alcohol, which makes it much more powerful in my opinion.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:50 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Hello classmates

Glad you are feeling better MTN!Day 1 work over-only 2 to go!!

jimjim-I've recently read the Allen Carr book-it's very good,you aren't self indulgent.post anything-that'swhat we are here for

Cheese-how's it going? I always finishhed work and drank too.A lot of it is changing habits. I've found a non alco drink I enjoy currently gulping it down! Or go out and do something different (I can't as have a young child)

Hello everyone!!
Old 10-01-2012, 09:51 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gigabit View Post
Welcome! I suggest Oct-sober rather than Sobtober - that sounds like too many tears involved!
love it!
Old 10-01-2012, 09:54 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gigabit View Post
Was talking with some people in the chatroom about reading - I used to read heaps. But basically not since I started drinking.

Couldn't focus, didn't get enjoyment out of it.

Hoping to rekindle the reading bug now - I have the Art of Happiness on my bookshelf, so I'll have to give that a go soon!
I've started reading more too

Would recommend'Think Right,Feel Right' -good for changing mindsets and stopping negative thoughts/resentments

and 'The Power of Now'-good for leaving the past where it belongs and stopping worrying aboutthe future
Old 10-01-2012, 09:58 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

It's good to see many posts, such hope and positivity onthe first day of Oct-sober!
Old 10-01-2012, 10:40 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

MTN thanks for starting this group. Love Dexter too lol can't wait to watch it tonight I heard it was good. Anyway today I am on day 8, I was in the september class joined mid stream and fell down a couple of times. Just wanted to introduce myself as to how I got here. So heres my quick bio: I started drinking when I was 17. After college drank pretty much thursdays through sundays. In my mid 30's started drinking daily every night right after work. Pressures from work broken relationships were my excuse. For the past 7 years the daily drinking got me to a point where it was all I cared about, I lived for my next drink. Over the past year I have had more days sober than not. I was trying to control my drinking by just drinking on weekends, or just out with friends yada yada. Well thats not working so hear I am day 8. Taking it day by day now. Welcome to all the new folks!
Old 10-01-2012, 10:47 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

hello groovechick and Octoberite on your first ever internet posts. Hope they will be life changing for you
Old 10-01-2012, 10:54 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by elderine View Post
Good ideas - reading, mandalas, volunteer work. One of the most painful things I've realized, through the booze fog, is that I've pretty much lost all of my interests and hobbies and become a deeply boring person. Because all I did in my free time was drink. It's exciting to think that I could actually be more engaged in the world and enjoy activities again. Unfortunately I still imagine myself classily drinking a glass of wine while reading some sort of high book, but the reality is more that I would be guzzling a bottle (or box!) of the cheapest wine I could find, in sweatpants, staring blankly at the TV.

I like Oct-sober.
I can really relate to this. getting sober is freedom
Old 10-01-2012, 11:02 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to all who are here to re start/begin or solidify
their choice for a better future....

Yes...we can and do recover Please find something that
gives you purpose and joy.

Forward we go...side by side....
Old 10-01-2012, 11:22 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Shalisan View Post
I made it four nights and onto day 5. I made it a week a few years ago, but other than that, I don't think I've had more than 2 days (very rarely) in as long as I can remember. I slept last night, hurray! First night, no sleep. Second, troubled, nightmare sleep. Third, wide awake, and then blessed sleep!

I'm feeling pretty good, and more determined than anything. Other times I have been all about holding the monster at bay. This time, I feel much more positive, proud and eager to face my new life.
Great stuff Shalisan, I've always thought day 5 was the worst as it can just feel like a lifetime from day 1. However, I think it gets much better after that and once it's out of the way - day 6 and zooming towards a week!

Glad you are feeling so good with everything. Keep it up!
Old 10-01-2012, 11:30 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by justhadenough View Post
Hello classmates

Glad you are feeling better MTN!Day 1 work over-only 2 to go!!

jimjim-I've recently read the Allen Carr book-it's very good,you aren't self indulgent.post anything-that'swhat we are here for

Cheese-how's it going? I always finishhed work and drank too.A lot of it is changing habits. I've found a non alco drink I enjoy currently gulping it down! Or go out and do something different (I can't as have a young child)

Hello everyone!!
Thanks JHE! The cold is pretty much cleared but I'm still partially deaf, no problem on an internet forum but made for an interesting 'conversation' with the nursery worker among all the hub bub earlier. Pardon? Sorry? Fishcakes? Super! ?? LOL

Hope work was ok, have you got any plans for this evening?

I'm going to re-read Allen Carr, I did find it very useful back in July, but definitely needs reading again.

Day 7 just about done... 1 week tomorrow!
Old 10-01-2012, 11:35 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hope22 View Post
MTN thanks for starting this group. Love Dexter too lol can't wait to watch it tonight I heard it was good. Anyway today I am on day 8, I was in the september class joined mid stream and fell down a couple of times. Just wanted to introduce myself as to how I got here. So heres my quick bio: I started drinking when I was 17. After college drank pretty much thursdays through sundays. In my mid 30's started drinking daily every night right after work. Pressures from work broken relationships were my excuse. For the past 7 years the daily drinking got me to a point where it was all I cared about, I lived for my next drink. Over the past year I have had more days sober than not. I was trying to control my drinking by just drinking on weekends, or just out with friends yada yada. Well thats not working so hear I am day 8. Taking it day by day now. Welcome to all the new folks!
Congratulations on your week! great stuff! I'll be there tomorrow

Ohhhh Dexter... my word it was good, I'm a bit obsessed! I might watch it again tonight. No spoilers from me - enjoy!

I need some other series to get into so can kill some thumb twiddling time if needs be - I'm thinking of Homeland, has anybody seen it? Is it good?
Old 10-01-2012, 11:39 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=MyTimeNow;3603424]Thanks JHE! The cold is pretty much cleared but I'm still partially deaf, no problem on an internet forum but made for an interesting 'conversation' with the nursery worker among all the hub bub earlier. Pardon? Sorry? Fishcakes? Super! ?? LOL

I'm going to re-read Allen Carr, I did find it very useful back in July, but definitely needs reading again.
Day 7 just about done... 1 week tomorrow![
/QUOTE]

Ah hopefully the deafness will clear soon!

Not much tonight-was going to watch Downton Abbey but recording failed-so cross! Tea & early night probably!What about you?
Old 10-01-2012, 11:49 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=justhadenough;3603437]
Originally Posted by MyTimeNow View Post
Thanks JHE! The cold is pretty much cleared but I'm still partially deaf, no problem on an internet forum but made for an interesting 'conversation' with the nursery worker among all the hub bub earlier. Pardon? Sorry? Fishcakes? Super! ?? LOL

Day 7 just about done... 1 week tomorrow![
/QUOTE]

Ah hopefully the deafness will clear soon!

Not much tonight-was going to watch Downton Abbey but recording failed-so cross! Tea & early night probably!What about you?
Ah gutting. No great plans here, need to sort recycling and get bin out so not doing it at 6am, have a tidy up, may watch Dexter again, then bed... it's all go lol
Old 10-01-2012, 12:03 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

What is the name of the the Allen Carr book?

Under the influence is a must read for everyone here. I read it a year and a half ago and need to read it again as a refresher.