Notices

Class Of October 2012

Old 10-01-2012, 05:11 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Hi all! This is my first post ever - on any forum. I had 10 days sober in Sept but blew it - so I'm starting over and doing it right this time by joining this class. Thanks for having me!
Old 10-01-2012, 05:26 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Hi GrooveChick - great place to start posting 10 days is good, you know you can do it and build on it this time, that's what I'm planning for myself anyway!

Hi JimJim you don't sounds self indulgent or pathetic at all LOL Good luck with the volunteer work, I've been looking into it myself at do-it.org.uk I really need to start to get my life back on track, back to work... it may not be until DD starts school next year, but I can start to get into the swing of things in the meantime at least.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:29 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

I am going to join this months thread. I started to in September but I did so late that I missed a lot. So I will start over again this month and participate more.

Ken here!
Old 10-01-2012, 05:34 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Hey Can,

Interesting you shhould say, reading is something I plan to do more of this month. I plan to join the local library here and get myself into some books. It's something I have been neglecting. Not only will it be time filled that is otherwise spent numbing myself, there is lots of wisdom to discover.

I am interested in Buddhism, I have read a couple of books from the Dalai Lama, including The Art of Happiness. I do find that what I read is very practical and what he teaches can practiced wether you follow religion or not. perhaps, as in, you can live the 'right way' without having to beleive in Buddha, there is no punishment for not beleiving. Not from Mr Dalai Lama anyhow. Oh I did visit him at his house in the Himalayas but he was out in his helicopter (story for another time)

Nevertheless I don't think it was the 'religious' thing that put me off like some others say, I don't see AA as such. I think it is great that it works for some but for me can't get past the fallacy that I can be cured by the steps, Don't think I can work 'em. That's all I'll say on it cus' I think it's a touchy subject here. I think I'll still hit some meetings to chat with some like folk and eat coffee and biscuits!

what's your plans anyhow Can?
Old 10-01-2012, 05:36 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Hey all- this is my first post ever on a forum also- hi Groovechick! I discovered this site a couple of months ago and it has helped me to face up to the fact that I have a drinking problem. Like some others here, I too have just celebrated a birthday 7 and am on day 1 sober. I have not made it past 3 days in quite a while so here's hoping posting here will help! Good luck everyone!
Old 10-01-2012, 05:41 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Yes MTN! do-it, is what I have been using too, I said to myself, 'I need a life!' So I printed off a heap of stuff and set out upon getting one. I everything from organising excurions for kids, to walking old people's dogs. I took them to my local volunteering centre as instructed and finally have something coming up!

Good to have you Ken, I always find great wisdom in your posts.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:42 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Only a few hours sleep last 2 nights. I started taking liveraid supplements two days ago from health store but think they might be cause. Stopping taking them today. Other than that I feel good.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:51 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,

I'm checking in/signing up. October is always a great month, and it will be even better sober.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:09 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JimJim View Post
Greetings Sobtober! I'm coming to join you if I may.

Welcome! I suggest Oct-sober rather than Sobtober - that sounds like too many tears involved!
Old 10-01-2012, 06:09 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by canguy View Post
Hi Jim Jim

....interested in what you say about AA, I feel a bit the same way. I've been reading a buddhist interpretation of the 12 step thing which is interesting, it explains the significance of the steps in terms of that kind of teaching.
Sounds interesting - do you have a link?
Old 10-01-2012, 06:12 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JimJim View Post
Hey Can,

Interesting you shhould say, reading is something I plan to do more of this month. I plan to join the local library here and get myself into some books. It's something I have been neglecting. Not only will it be time filled that is otherwise spent numbing myself, there is lots of wisdom to discover.

I am interested in Buddhism, I have read a couple of books from the Dalai Lama, including The Art of Happiness. I do find that what I read is very practical and what he teaches can practiced wether you follow religion or not. perhaps, as in, you can live the 'right way' without having to beleive in Buddha, there is no punishment for not beleiving. Not from Mr Dalai Lama anyhow. Oh I did visit him at his house in the Himalayas but he was out in his helicopter (story for another time)
Was talking with some people in the chatroom about reading - I used to read heaps. But basically not since I started drinking.

Couldn't focus, didn't get enjoyment out of it.

Hoping to rekindle the reading bug now - I have the Art of Happiness on my bookshelf, so I'll have to give that a go soon!
Old 10-01-2012, 06:16 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to everyone - have a great day guys

D
Old 10-01-2012, 06:22 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Also from the chatroom earlier, a user suggested an awesome way to keep busy, occupied - colouring in mandalas.

If you google mandalas to color - there's a heap.

Has worked successfully for me for the last couple of hours - think I'm ready to attempt sleep soon!

Old 10-01-2012, 06:32 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Good ideas - reading, mandalas, volunteer work. One of the most painful things I've realized, through the booze fog, is that I've pretty much lost all of my interests and hobbies and become a deeply boring person. Because all I did in my free time was drink. It's exciting to think that I could actually be more engaged in the world and enjoy activities again. Unfortunately I still imagine myself classily drinking a glass of wine while reading some sort of high book, but the reality is more that I would be guzzling a bottle (or box!) of the cheapest wine I could find, in sweatpants, staring blankly at the TV.

I like Oct-sober.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:35 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

That's a great idea! This is probably normal for day 1 but am absolutely exhausted and feel like crying.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:37 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Total newbie and liking the sound of a sober October
Old 10-01-2012, 06:47 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Happy October 1st. I'm with MTN and only have 6 days so am going to straddle the september and october classes.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:13 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

I'm back!!!!

I'm in. I have to do this. My 12 yo son gets so upset when I have been drinking. My husband is please please please stop.

My house is a mess, I'm 50 lbs over weight and I don't feel well.

This is not me. Help!
Old 10-01-2012, 07:13 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Good Morning. I joined in Sept, was sober for 1 week when I foolishly thought I could just have a few. Really? That was nine solid drunk days ago. Starting over today. I'm only falling into that "just a few trap" once.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:32 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Wink Congrats!

Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
I'm back!!!!

I'm in. I have to do this. My 12 yo son gets so upset when I have been drinking. My husband is please please please stop.

My house is a mess, I'm 50 lbs over weight and I don't feel well.

This is not me. Help!
Wishing you the best on your commitment to yourself.