Notices

Codependency and Beyond - Part 25

Old 10-31-2012, 05:53 AM
  # 181 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

Amy what a beautiful release that we can understand our HP has a plan and tho I know for me I never understand and quite grasp how it all fits in - I do trust and know that He will work out what is best for me in the end! Praying the same for you!

Happy Halloweento those who celebrate!

Hope your day is filled with Treats no tricks!

PINK HUGS,
Rita
Old 10-31-2012, 11:23 AM
  # 182 (permalink)  

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

You are reading from the book The Language of Letting Go

All Our Needs

And my God shall supply every need of yours according to His riches in glory...
—Phil. 4:19

This verse has helped me many times. It has helped me when I have wondered where my next friend bit of wisdom, insight, or meal was coming from.

Everything I need today shall be supplied to me.

People, jobs, what we have to our immediate disposal, are not our source.

We have tapped into a Greater Source, a source of infinite and immediate supply: God and His Universe.

Our task is to allow ourselves to come into harmony with our Source. Our task is to believe in, and look to, our true Source. Our task is to release fear; negative thinking, limitations, and short supply thinking.

Everything we need shall be provided to us. Let it become a natural response to all situations, and all situations of need.

Reject fear. Reject short supply and limited thinking notions. Be open to abundance.

Cherish need because it is part of our relationship to God and His Universe. God has planned to meet our every need, has created the need within us, so God can supply.

No need is too small or too great. If we care and value our need, God will too.

Our part is taking responsibility for owning the need. Our part is giving the need to the Universe. Our part is letting go, in faith. Our part is giving God permission to meet our needs by believing we deserve to have our needs - and wants - met.

Our part is healthy giving, not out of caretaking, guilt, obligation, and codependency, but out of a healthy relationship with ourselves, God, and all of God's creations.

Our part is simply to be who we are, and love being that.

Today, I will practice the belief that all my needs today shall be met. I will step into harmony with God and His Universe, knowing that I count.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 11-01-2012, 06:33 AM
  # 183 (permalink)  

NEVER LET ME IMAGINE THAT MY SATISFACTION WITH LIFE DEPENDS ON WHAT SOMEONE ELSE MAY DO.
ODAT in AL-ANON pg. 234

^^
One of my favorite readings from the ODAT book in Al-Anon ~ a Great reminder that our Happiness does not revolve around another person's actions, mood, or recovery ~

Realizing this was a great moment of freedom for me ~ that I could be happy regardless ~

Today is November 1st ~ The day I start my month of gratitude post on my FB wall ~ every year I post something that I'm grateful for all 30 days ~ truly focusing on all the wonderful blessings in my life ~

I know that I am blessed far beyond what I deserve and so humbled by the many wonderful people in my life ~

Each of you are one of the many blessings in my life ~ Thank you so very much for being a part of it ~ I am honored to call you my friend!

Love & PINK HUGS!
Rita
Old 11-01-2012, 07:19 AM
  # 184 (permalink)  
Survivor

The readings for Tuesday and Wednesday are fantastic. Tuesday reminds us to own our lives and Wednesday reminds us to Let Go and Let God and know that we are loved.

Amy, sounds like the interview went well.

MsPink, what a beautiful post and tradition you have.

For me, things are good. I aced a difficult test yesterday. I have been dealing with some mild depression lately, but I'm pushing through it. I try to be grateful, even if I have to vent occasionally. It's tough trying to make ends meet on my own and go to school. But I'm doing it!

12 more tests and 7 weeks left to go!

Love,

Lily
Old 11-01-2012, 07:49 AM
  # 185 (permalink)  
Trudging that road.

Cool

Morning everyone

Amy so happy the interview went well for you. You are going to be an old pro with interviewing. Lol I also wanted to thank you for posting the reading.

Ms Pink when I read what you wrote about how are happiness doesn't depend on another's actions, mood, or recovery it took me back to the days with one of my past relationships. We were both alcoholic and very codependent. When we would be sober and we were doing well for a few days or even a week I remember there were times he would come home after relapsing, and not that long after I was getting loaded again with him. I based my using a lot on the relationship, and the sick part about it is, I blamed him for my using. It wasn't till after I left, which took me 4 or 5 times to finally stay gone, did I have to face the fact that I got just as loaded if not more so when I wasn't with him. I remember what a shocker at the time that was.

Lilly great to see you posting and it sounds like school is going well for you. When I read your post it took me back to my college days a few years back, boy I miss them. I remember how stressed I got before a test, or how I would start to fall behind and panic. For the most part I did really well. So keep up the good work.

So it seems there is only a few of us posting lately, where did everyone go? Should we send out the codie patrol?

Have a great day and be safe if you are back East. Hugs
Old 11-01-2012, 10:26 AM
  # 186 (permalink)  

Lily - wishing you the best on the test - keep taking good care of you so it doesn't overwhelm you!!! I know you will do fabulous!

Newby ~ what a tough time that must have been for you - so very grateful that you are in a better place now - you must have done a tremendous amount of recovery work to acheive this! congrats to you & your HP!!!

To all our other friends - Lisa, Amy, Annie, Chino, Tena, Frances, SM, and so many more that have passed thru our thread - miss you & pray you are well!
Old 11-01-2012, 12:35 PM
  # 187 (permalink)  
Survivor

Newby-It's an inspiration to read about what you've been through. Amazing how much we can grow and change in time. I remember my codie days too! So glad tgat's pretty much over. It was exhausting! And the Codie patrol is hilarious. *giggles*

MrsPink-Thanks for the encouragement and support. I need it!
Old 11-01-2012, 12:57 PM
  # 188 (permalink)  

((Newby)) - I started with the drinking in much the same way

Okay, I have what I think is good news on the job. I called her this morning, told her I was getting the TB test read this afternoon, would it be okay to drop the paperwork off. She asked me to just call her after I had the test read.

I did (it was negative, which I knew) and she pulled out my file. She told me she would have to get with the owner, who is my 2nd interview, but would I be available tomorrow or Mon. if he had time? I told her I'm available after I get off at the sr. center at 2.

This was less than an hour ago, she just called back and I have the interview tomorrow at 2:30. She is SOOO nice, sounds SOOO happy to talk to me. All my "regulars" at the sr. center said "you've got the job, don't worry" and promised me that they were all praying for me.

I'm still praying for HP's will, not mine, but I do believe this job would be a good fit for me right now.

Whether or not I get it, I have the folks here at SR to thank. If it weren't for reading "volunteer" so many times, I would have never gotten to thoroughly enjoy the sr. center, much less have found out about this job. Though everyone at the sr. center is supportive, Chef A told me today "I know you need a job, but my days just aren't right when you're not here" Woo-Hoo!! Recovery is AWESOME!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 11-01-2012, 01:55 PM
  # 189 (permalink)  
Survivor

Woohoo Amy! Sounds like you got a job to me!
Old 11-02-2012, 04:26 AM
  # 190 (permalink)  
Trudging that road.

Morning all.

Amy sounds like everything is lining up in a good direction towards gaining employment. Congrats on your 2nd interview and definitely good luck. I will be crossing my fingers & toes for you. Lol

Ms Pink I love what you wrote vs my where is everybody lol. I admire your style of writing where sometimes I get maybe to blunt or some even say confrontational but that is not me at all. lol

Lily thanks for the comment you made and that is why I decided back awhile ago to start writing an autobiography but I have been at a stand still with it lately. My Dad keeps asking me how the book is coming and well I sometimes tell him great but then other times I am honest with him and tell him I have writers block. I believe with 1/2 of my excursions that I have been writing about it is bound to be a best seller. Or one can only hope & pray that it is. It isn't going to be anything if I don't get off my rear and start writing is it?

Hope everyone has a great weekend.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:45 AM
  # 191 (permalink)  
Survivor

I'd definitely read it Newby!
Old 11-02-2012, 12:55 PM
  # 192 (permalink)  

Sorry I haven't posted the reading, today - busy day. As long as my background check is okay, I have the job!! I'm going down to bratkin's, get me some baby love and see if mama bratkin can get some sleep.

Recovery is AWESOME!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 11-02-2012, 06:01 PM
  # 193 (permalink)  
Survivor

Friday, November 2, 2012

The Grief Process

To let ourselves wholly grieve our losses is how we surrender to the process of life and recovery. Some experts, like Patrick Carnes, call the Twelve Steps "a program for dealing with our losses, a program for dealing with our grief."

How do we grieve?

Awkwardly. Imperfectly. Usually with a great deal of resistance. Often with anger and attempts to negotiate. Ultimately, by surrendering to the pain.

The grief process, says Elisabeth Kubler Ross, is a five stage process: denial, anger, bargaining, sadness, and, finally, acceptance. That's how we grieve; that's how we accept; that's how we forgive; that's how we respond to the many changes life throws our way.

Although this five-step process looks tidy on paper, it is not tidy in life. We do not move through it in a compartmentalized manner. We usually flounder through, kicking and screaming, with much back and forth movement - until we reach that peaceful state called acceptance.

When we talk about "unfinished business" from our past, we are usually referring to losses about which we have not completed grieving. We're talking about being stuck somewhere in the grief process. Usually, for adult children and codependents, the place where we become stuck is denial.. Passing through denial is the first and most dangerous stage of grieving, but it is also the first step toward acceptance.

We can learn to understand the grief process and how it applies to recovery. Even good changes in recovery can bring loss and, consequently, grief. We can learn to help others and ourselves by understanding and becoming familiar with this process. We can learn to fully grieve our losses, feel our pain, accept, and forgive, so we can feel joy and love.

Today, God, help me open myself to the process of grieving my losses. Help me allow myself to flow through the grief process, accepting all the stages so I might achieve peace and acceptance in my life. Help me learn to be gentle with others and myself while we go through this very human process of healing.

From The Language of Letting Go by Melody Beattie ©1990, Hazelden Foundation. All rights reserved. No portion of this publication may be reproduced in any manner without the written permission of the publisher.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:22 PM
  # 194 (permalink)  
Survivor

Amy, I hope you enjoyed the baby cuddles. awww

I wonder if my brief bouts of depression here and there are are all about grieving the alcoholism in my family. On Wednesday, I felt so sad and horrible. I was so sad about being totally on my own and not having much support from my family. It was really bad. So, maybe it is just grieving the lack of family support and my painful past from time to time. I dunno if that makes any sense.

In other news, I passed two very difficult test this week! It was truly incredible! The first test was on gastrointestinal, hematologic, immunologic, and endocrine disorders in children. The second test was on cerebral, nueromuscular, and musculoskeletal disorders in children. Both tests were hard. I got a 93 on the first one and a 89 on the second one! Woohoo! And there were questions on that second test with questions about information that I couldn't find when I was studying. AND I STILL GOT AN 89! I a so thrilled! grin

So glad to share the good news. hug
Old 11-02-2012, 08:57 PM
  # 195 (permalink)  

((Lily)) - Thanks for posting the reading and way to go on your tests!!! Good insight on the depression possibly being grief.

Just got home, had a wonderful time at the bratkins. I did do a few things around the apt. and held baby B for quite a while They were most appreciative and it was just a good time.

I've had trouble sleeping, all week, but actually feel tired so this is a good sign.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 11-03-2012, 06:59 AM
  # 196 (permalink)  
Survivor

Saturday, November 3, 2012

Denial

Denial is fertile breeding ground for the behaviors we call codependent: controlling, focusing on others, and neglecting ourselves. Illness and compulsive or addictive behaviors can emerge during denial.

Denial can be confusing because it resembles sleeping. We're not really aware we're doing it until we're done doing it. Forcing ourselves - or anyone else - to face the truth usually doesn't help. We won't face the facts until we are ready. Neither, it seems, will anyone else. We may admit to the truth for a moment, but we won't let ourselves know what we know until we feel safe, secure, and prepared enough to deal and cope with it.

Talking to friends who know, love, support, encourage, and affirm us helps.

Being gentle, loving, and affirming with ourselves helps. Asking ourselves, and our Higher Power, to guide us into and through change helps.

The first step toward acceptance is denial. The first step toward moving through denial is accepting that we may be in denial, and then gently allowing ourselves to move through.

God, help me feel safe and secure enough today to accept what I need to accept.

From The Language of Letting Go by Melody Beattie ©1990, Hazelden Foundation.
Old 11-03-2012, 07:05 AM
  # 197 (permalink)  
Survivor

Amy, I am happy you enjoyed Baby B last night and I hope you got a lot of rest.

Today's reading is right on the nose for me. I have been in denial about the guy that I am dating and the situation. I thought I was okay with the situation but I'm not. I am not going to go into great detail, but the bottom line is that I really don't like the way he treats me. It is like he pops up when he feels like it and when I initiate contact he gets all distant and weird on me. I don't like that feeling. I feel like I can't be my sweet loving self. And I know this isn't going anywhere. He doesn't even feel like a friend.

I am ready to move on and turn the entire "love" thing over to my HP. Because I can't really deal with it and I really don't have the time for it. As I dive into testing this next week, I have 4 difficult tests to dive into. I want them done in 2 weeks. So, 2 tests a week and I will be on track. I can't deal with some guy treating me bad on top of everything.

So, I am accepting the situation and talking about it. Which is good. I am opening up about it because I got a bit quiet for a while there. I believe with all my heart that my HP has something much better than that in store for me.

I am going to get some rest and then off to do my two 16 hour shifts. Every one have a great weekend!

Love,

Lily
Old 11-03-2012, 10:34 AM
  # 198 (permalink)  

((Lily)) - Denial is a strong thing, glad you are seeing through it!

I think I got caught up on sleep, woke up to take sm's catheter out (she had a procedure done yesterday) and finally got up after noon. I think I saw the ((Rita's)) Tigers won?

I put another pic of Baby B on my profile - she was actually propped up on my chest, one VERY content little girl. Here's another one of me and her

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 11-03-2012, 11:35 AM
  # 199 (permalink)  
mergirl

OMGOSHHHHHHHH!! A baby AND looks like a job, wheeeeeeeee Amy, rollin in the good times now girl.

And Rita, I shed a few tears when I read K's dad was there for a visit, this life we live sheesh.

Thanks for posting the readings. I have had some pretty interesting internal struggles since getting here, popping through another layer I suppose.

Washington is cold and rainy and green and beautiful, and I checked off a bucket list item by shooting up to Vancouver BC for a weekend, really nice city.

I love the reading from yesterday on grief. I woke this morning to news that my daughter's first boyfriend was killed in a motorcycle accident. He was a nice kid, leaves behind a 2 year old baby girl. And the wheel keeps turning.

I am ready to be home, MW wants to stay forever. For today I am content to smoke salmon, I know an amtrak will take me if I need to go before him
Old 11-03-2012, 11:45 AM
  # 200 (permalink)  

((Lisa)) - good to hear from you! That's one area of the country I've never been to, but want to visit. So sorry for the loss of the young man - prayers going out to all who loved him.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy