Notices

Class of July 2012 part 2

Old 07-21-2012, 04:58 AM
  # 161 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TimW View Post
Well yeah, I went to the Dr. and he wouldn't prescribe me anything. I don't even know what there IS to prescribe. He was super judgemental as I mentioned, and I was actually wanting to drink when I came out of there. That was day 11.
Get a different doctor, just sayin, I was suprised how supporting mine was.
Old 07-21-2012, 05:00 AM
  # 162 (permalink)  
Stingy athlete recovery method

Dear Sentso,

Congratulations on navigating the drink maze at your last gig. Wow, sounds like you really had to run the gauntlet. Applause to you!

I have but one non-drinking gig under my belt too. I very much liked having what felt like a tank of extra energy for teardown and aftergigging.

Mel

Originally Posted by Sentso View Post
Ah ah it's weird to wake up feeling fine in a hotel room, and to pee clear and go have breakfast being actually hungry (I was starving!)

Now on the bus, going to the next gig, and then it'll be day 6.

Have a wonderful sober saturday guys! Sober is the new cool.
Old 07-21-2012, 05:02 AM
  # 163 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

Day 19

Gone: Insomnia, Cravings, Body Aches
The Same: Body overheat, Fatigue, Palpitations
Worse: Constipation, anxiety, Headache
Tim - maybe see a different doctor? It sounds a lot like anxiety to me... but I'm no doctor. The unfortunate thing is that yes, the body needs to adjust to not having that poison in it... and according to my substance abuse counselor friend, it can last from 30 - 90 days. To me, it doesn't sound like the doctor is trying to help you much. Saying an extra prayer for you....

Originally Posted by aug73 View Post
I am PROUD to say tomorrow will be 2 weeks for me! I haven't gone that long since '97 I believe. I just feel so fed up with my habits.
Congrats on your two weeks!!

Fdm... how are you doing?

Glad you're doing well, Sarah!!

D... I can't see Floyd in that - it looks like a cat to me

Great news, Mel... I'm glad it wasn't more serious.

Nessa, if it was me, I would not go to a bar only 5 days in. I am having second thoughts about going to my half-sisters wedding reception today. I think my hubby is coming with me, but still... I really don't want to be around it. But that's just me

Anway, meeting went well last night... I had a bit (a lot) of anxiety about going by myself.... but I didn't take any Ativan and I survived The topic was fear (false evidence appearing real). I realized that I'm kind of afraid of going back to work - it's not until the 26th if the doctor releases me, but just thinking about the added responsibilities, stirs up my anxiety. And having to face the COO and others in upper management. Ok, I have five days to get my head on straight... see the doc on the 25th. If I feel like I feel now - I know she won't release me (as I'm bit teary-eyed writing this). I have a lot of jobs at work - quality control, safety, hazmat, food safety, environmental, etc. I just really need to chill out... relax...

Anyway, don't want to drink... and looking at day 16.

Have a Super Sober Saturday everyone... or Saturday night
Old 07-21-2012, 05:04 AM
  # 164 (permalink)  

Well, here I am on Day #7 and am mighty glad. It's 5:00AM here, laundry started, grocery list made and taking my 97 year old Mom for a drive to the Farmers Market in a few hours. Wow. What a difference a week makes!. The good of sobriety clearly out weighs any perceived advantage of drinking. I am really looking forward to going to Church tomorrow NOT being hungover! Hope you guys all have a great weekend.
Old 07-21-2012, 05:08 AM
  # 165 (permalink)  
Stingy athlete recovery method

Well, on Day 62 I was still palpitating and constipated like it was Day 10. And I went back to drinking because I thought I'd detoxed (6 weeks and then some).
Dear Tim,

I never realized short-term detox symptoms could linger in the long-term as you describe above. I look forward to your continuing updates. I hope relief for you comes soon.

Mel
Old 07-21-2012, 05:10 AM
  # 166 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad you're back Mel

D
Old 07-21-2012, 05:14 AM
  # 167 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by flachead View Post
Get a different doctor, just sayin, I was suprised how supporting mine was.
I should say how much support my Dr. has given me....wake up Flachead
Old 07-21-2012, 05:24 AM
  # 168 (permalink)  

Mel - good to hear from you. Hope you are doing well after your scare.
Old 07-21-2012, 05:24 AM
  # 169 (permalink)  
TiG

Mel, Good news! Glad it's nothing serious.

I like that "sober is the new cool." David Letterman said on his show that he hadn't had a drink since 1983, quitting after he recognized his problem. Last night, my thoughts were that I can do this. I can never have another beer and be perfectly happy.

In the past, I've used flash cards to train my brain into better thinking. For example, I wanted to have positive reactions to work situations rather than cynical comments come out of my mouth. This was more of a stress management tool, because I was getting frustrated at a lot of things that perhaps didn't call for such a burden. Using index cards, I wrote down quick phrases to guide my thoughts into better, more confident logic. Read them every morning. Maybe I'll try that with being sober, because one of the sneaky ways I convince myself that it's OK to drink is to conveniently forget the past struggles. This forum is awesome for resetting my brain and very humbling to my arrogant AV persuasions. Reading the forums helps keep me on track and maybe creating a deck of flash card to read every morning will be similar reinforcement.

Day 7 for me. Really feel proud for waking up clean. Stay strong everybody!!!
Old 07-21-2012, 05:26 AM
  # 170 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have a good day everyone
D
Old 07-21-2012, 06:04 AM
  # 171 (permalink)  

Good Morning Everyone - Day 10 for me. Mel - glad to hear you are ok. Tim, I hope the headaches go away. I am still getting them daily, along with palpitation.
Mtn Seer - enjoy the day with your mum. Sensto - you are so strong!

Me...I am having coffee outside listening to the birds before I head off into the rest of today. Family dinner last night. Strange feeling to actually be sober for it, and to remember the discussions that took place around the table. No guilt today, no remorse.
Old 07-21-2012, 06:24 AM
  # 172 (permalink)  

glad you are ok Mel

Day 20 here and it's a sunny one for a change.Just sitting in the garden,sober,letting the sun shine on me is very very relaxing.

Happy sober Saturday.xx
Old 07-21-2012, 06:29 AM
  # 173 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by katan View Post
Good Morning Everyone - Day 10 for me. Mel - glad to hear you are ok. Tim, I hope the headaches go away. I am still getting them daily, along with palpitation.
Glad to know I'm not alone with the palpitation.

They're just as annoying as they can be without being annoying enough to force an addict to quit.
Old 07-21-2012, 07:35 AM
  # 174 (permalink)  

Just an update I am on day 15 and life has gotten much better. I have had thoughts of having a couple of beers but reading the post of new people coming of alcohol keeps those first days fresh in my mind.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:07 AM
  # 175 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

Great job on the 7 days - MtnS and TiG!!!

It's TOTALLY do-able... even if we don't always feel like it. Feelings are wishy-washy sometimes... but truth remains the same. We don't have to live like we used to... that's truth
Old 07-21-2012, 08:51 AM
  # 176 (permalink)  
A girl can dream...

Great to wake up to some great posts during the night AGAIN! Day 6 today. ALMOST ordered a glass of wine out at dinner last night but thought back to earlier in the week and realized I really didn't need to or want to. Glad I didn't. Whenever the urge hits I simply think of all of you on SR and you keep me going. One more day and it'll be a week - a first in 6-1/2 years.

Have a great day everyone. xoxo
Old 07-21-2012, 11:10 AM
  # 177 (permalink)  

I guess this is where I check in...still trying to understand it all. Day 9 today and I have to admit one minute I don't think a thing about alcohol and the next I get that feeling down in my belly....I don't know if that my depression issue or the wanting a drink over emotion issue. I really don't have anything to be upset about but being the person I am I seem to find something to worry about. Have a great day everyone. Time with my grandson was great but that's what fun about being a grandparent you can send them back when they start acting up....
Myjourney4me
Old 07-21-2012, 11:22 AM
  # 178 (permalink)  

Yay! Welcome back Mel! So glad you are back feeling better, and with the body of an athlete no less - fantastic

Well done lwb way to go! My mum bought some wine today whilst we were out and it didn't even occur to me to even feel bothered. We thought the shop keeper had diddled us by a couple of pounds so when we got back I got it out of the bag and checked what brand it was, and although a nice red I said to my mum there was no way that was £8.50... Put it back and thought wow, something should have happened there, some feeling, why aren't I climbing the walls?! Weird, but a good weird

Well done on your day 7's MtnSeer and TIG, 10 katan, 15 for sobermrsc, 16 for R4R and 20 for jhe! Great stuff! I know I've missed people - flachead, sentso good to 'see' you guys and have a great gig tonight sentso, you can do this one too

I'm coming to the end of my 10th day, first double figures I have seen for years. I'm trying not to think about it. Seeing wine fine, holding bottle of wine fine, but counting really gets my AV going. I almost panic at how far away it all seems. Unknown territory Aaargh!

Had a great day, a cuppa with mum turned into an entire day after I went out and bought DD a new paddling pool, nice and relaxing in the garden. She's asleep, DS is out with friends. I just need to put some washing on then I'll probably get to bed with Harry Bosch looking forward to my sober sunny Sunday.

Have a great rest of Saturday all!
Old 07-21-2012, 11:42 AM
  # 179 (permalink)  

Ouch now it's hard to resist. I will. Have to. Will pass by later to check the messages.
Old 07-21-2012, 11:43 AM
  # 180 (permalink)  

Keep strong Sentso, you know you'll be glad you did in the morning