Notices

Class of July 2012 part 2

Old 07-20-2012, 08:58 PM
  # 141 (permalink)  
A girl can dream...

Originally Posted by Sentso View Post
I stuck to water till someone said he was going to the hotel, and so I left, saying I was exhausted. So here I am, at the very beginning of day 5.
That's so awesome! Happy Day 5!
Old 07-20-2012, 09:01 PM
  # 142 (permalink)  
A girl can dream...

Congrats Tim and August on days 19/14!!
Old 07-20-2012, 09:28 PM
  # 143 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Sentzo, Steven Tyler is doing it and he's pretty rock 'n roll!! Good for you re tonight You must have felt proud you were able to resist!
Old 07-20-2012, 11:02 PM
  # 144 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lifewithoutbooz View Post
Good on you!! I saw a commercial for wine (not my favourite but it was wine nonetheless) and my heart started racing. I quickly got up to do something else. Amazing what can trigger us. Good on ya!
Thanks lwb and jhe I'm certainly pleased I didn't this morning! It must have been sleep not drink I needed as I was conked out by 9.30. Hope your day 5 has gone well and congrats!

Congrats all Sentso for getting through the gig and Tim and Aug on 19 days and 2 weeks - amazing!

Tim it's worth going back to the doctors as these things might not be drinking related. Drink might have been masking them. You need to have your blood pressure taken at least. I was prescribed a low dose of beta blocker last year for anxiety, palpitations and *ahem* excessive sweating. What a lady eh? LOL

Welcome back Obladi Hope you are ok and have a nice weekend planned.

Anything I had planned seems to have fallen by the wayside... need to make new plans, but for now I'll just drink copious amounts of tea and wake up.

Have a super sober Saturday everybody!
Old 07-20-2012, 11:03 PM
  # 145 (permalink)  

ps - Dee? No idea
Old 07-20-2012, 11:06 PM
  # 146 (permalink)  
Administrator

People want Floyd the muppet - this is an artistic rendering LOL (not by me)

D
Old 07-20-2012, 11:22 PM
  # 147 (permalink)  

Oh! Erm... yes I see it now... ?

Haha it's me feeling old and not down with the kids now! My horizons are being expanded
Old 07-20-2012, 11:22 PM
  # 148 (permalink)  

Day 5 complete! I'm really proud of myself. I left my cabin, and my mom as my support system to come home to an empty house, that has a few bottles of booze in it. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't thinking about "should I, or shouldn't I?" the whole 3 hour drive home. I got home, and the thought of a drink actually repulsed me, which was pretty confusing. I feel so relaxed, content, and ready to get a good nights rest, and wake up once again without fearing a hangover! I am wondering when this headache stuff goes away though... I have had a constant, dull headache for days, and I'm not one to get a headache. Tomorrow, I am supposed to go to a bar with "bar friends" to watch our friends perform. I really, really want to go, but I'm not sure I can be in the atmosphere with those people and not partake in drinking, so I will probably just go pick up my daughter instead!!! (ps.... I feel weird that I'm so proud of 5 days.... I'd say most people go without for 5 days every week, haha)
Old 07-20-2012, 11:24 PM
  # 149 (permalink)  

5 days is amazing Nessa - well done and good for you for ignoring that booze!
Old 07-20-2012, 11:31 PM
  # 150 (permalink)  

I had my blood pressure taken about a year ago, and they said it was borderline high. The doc wanted me to go to hospital for all sorts of tests etc. For me, I just know I'm this way because of the drinking.

I think when someone's quick to suggest that my symptoms aren't drinking related, it's almost just a bit too optimistic. For years I blamed my irritable bowl syndrome and palpitations on 'anxiety', and kept on drinking. I was actually misinformed when I first quit (2 years ago). I asked my doctor then how long will withdrawal symptoms last and he said 30 days, 6 weeks at the most. Well, on Day 62 I was still palpitating and constipated like it was Day 10. And I went back to drinking because I thought I'd detoxed (6 weeks and then some).

But now I read on the net, these type of symptoms can last 90 Days. Then I read it takes the liver 20 weeks before it's detoxed. Then I read sometimes it takes more than a year to relieve my anxiety.

When I quit the first time, I hadn't ever gone more than a week or two before, so I was expecting to heal rather quickly. Now I know it's going to take forever, I'm ready for forever.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:34 PM
  # 151 (permalink)  

Nearly all the old school cool rockers are doing it.

Sober is the new cool
Old 07-20-2012, 11:41 PM
  # 152 (permalink)  

Ok, I don't think I was being quick to suggest anything or being optimistic. I was just hoping to write a helpful post so that your symptoms could be eased somewhat.

A year is a long time to wait for a blood pressure test if you are borderline high. Mine had to be checked every 6 weeks when it was getting high.

I suffered from social anxiety from the age of 12, turned into full blown agoraphobia at 21 after having my son along with a bout of PND. None of these were drinking related but I soon started to drink to address the symptoms.

You know what your history is and what's best for you so I'll leave it at that

Not sure if I am allowed to mention medication or not (if not Dee feel free to remove this bit) but Senokot is a natural and mild laxative that can be bought at all supermarkets - there is no need to suffer with constipation at least.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:45 PM
  # 153 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by seanie1888 View Post
Nearly all the old school cool rockers are doing it.

Sober is the new cool
There was a line in the Allen Carr book that mentioned how 'heroes' are being portrayed in book and film as recovered alcoholics too - it being another badge of strength for them.

Not exactly heroes but I was thinking of Law and Order UK (whatever his name is) and Tempe Brennan from the Kathy Reichs books. I don't recall Superman ever having a problem, but there you go LOL
Old 07-20-2012, 11:54 PM
  # 154 (permalink)  
Administrator

LOL Iron Man is one of us tho

D
Old 07-21-2012, 12:01 AM
  # 155 (permalink)  

I thought he might be! Been a while since I've seen it, I'm yet to see the second one. My son doesn't need me to go to the cinema with him anymore *cry*

Talking of whom - I have an avatar. Yay. Bet I change my mind within 5 mins LOL
Old 07-21-2012, 12:07 AM
  # 156 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MyTimeNow View Post
Ok, I don't think I was being quick to suggest anything or being optimistic. I was just hoping to write a helpful post so that your symptoms could be eased somewhat.

A year is a long time to wait for a blood pressure test if you are borderline high. Mine had to be checked every 6 weeks when it was getting high.

I suffered from social anxiety from the age of 12, turned into full blown agoraphobia at 21 after having my son along with a bout of PND. None of these were drinking related but I soon started to drink to address the symptoms.

You know what your history is and what's best for you so I'll leave it at that

Not sure if I am allowed to mention medication or not (if not Dee feel free to remove this bit) but Senokot is a natural and mild laxative that can be bought at all supermarkets - there is no need to suffer with constipation at least.
Yes I know you weren't, I didn't mean you specifically. It's just a way of thinking I'm going against now, because it was my downfall before. I could be wrong about palpitations / constipation being part of the withdrawal, but I know for sure that when I had my first drink after two months I was still detoxing, because I didn't feel it. My body was in alcohol out mode. It took about a month of alcohol in before I could feel the effects of being drunk properly again. So I at least know that I wasn't finished detox / withdrawal at 62 days.

I took some advice about constipation on one of the threads here and started having Flax Seed Oil. It's working. Very well.

I would never recommend Laxatives to anyone outside of a single use. I was on them for about 3 or 4 months at one point, and then they stopped working and my bowels closed completely. There was even blood. I did research and apparently they can really ruin your intestines. Thank God I'm nowhere near that anymore.

Woke up this morning with very bad alcohol related headache. I don't think I've had a head ache like that since actually drinking, although I've had the dull ones a few times. I haven't been this sober in about a year, so I think my body is finally getting it that I'm not drinking anymore.
Old 07-21-2012, 01:48 AM
  # 157 (permalink)  

Well of course I wasn't suggesting anybody start abusing laxatives

Right off out for me, taking everything back to the shops that I got yesterday (housey stuff that either had instructions missing, pieces missing or was just broken...) Then to my mums for a cuppa in the - what is this I see? Sunshine?! Quick out now everybody >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Laters. Have a good one all
Old 07-21-2012, 02:54 AM
  # 158 (permalink)  

Nessa, I wouldn't go to a bar with "barfriends" in your situation. Im glad to be at day 5 too!

Ah ah it's weird to wake up feeling fine in a hotel room, and to pee clear and go have breakfast being actually hungry (I was starving!)

Now on the bus, going to the next gig, and then it'll be day 6.

Have a wonderful sober saturday guys! Sober is the new cool.
Old 07-21-2012, 04:39 AM
  # 159 (permalink)  
Stingy athlete recovery method

Mel here, back and sending a shout out to MyTimeNow, lifewithoutbooz, Dee, justhadenough, Sentso, flachead, Obladi, Mtnseer, TodayisGood, katan, Really4Real, sarah1414, NoFireWater, new members, and all! --

It was wonderful to exit the hospital and return to read your stories of continuing success, and especially the kind words of overwhelming support from each of you.

Update: I did not have a heart attack. The debilitating episodes that landed me in the hospital were not cardiovascular in origin. The doctors came to the jaw-dropping conclusion that I have the cardiovascular fitness of a 20-something competitive athlete, despite being a 50-something with almost all the heart risk factors. (After testing, I was downgraded to a low-risk category.) It is true that I regularly exercise, but the thought that I have the body of a competitive athlete seems laughably ridiculous.

I do have a neurological disorder. But--to make a long story short--it probably is never going to become a problem worth worrying about. For those who are suffering detox, you may find it interesting that though my issues have a “kindling” component, they are not alcohol or drug related. It is merely a strange coincidence that I ended up in the hospital just after quitting alcohol.

Say what?! The doctors insist I am ready to enter an Olympic event, despite my LIFETIME OF SELF-DESTRUCTIVE EXCESS? Did I miss a bullet or what? If I were religious, I could really go weird on y’all right now. Call me Mr. Lucky! The universe just handed me a second chance.

It is humbling for me to realize that the human system can take relentlessly idiotic self-punishment and yet recover to some extent--but only if we give it a chance. My friends, my kind and supportive community, maybe we all have been handed a second chance!!! I think I finally am starting to get it.

Mel
Old 07-21-2012, 04:52 AM
  # 160 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sentso View Post
lifewithoutbooz> Awesome, I'm sincerely glad for you!

Ok, going to bed now (it's 1am here), looking forward to day 4, especially because I have a gig tomorrow night and on saturday. This time I'm gonna do it, and then I'll rest and work on sunday and monday will be day 7, and I didn't have a day 7 for almost two years.

Good night everyone!
You can do this Senso - good luck with your gigs! I hadn't a day 7 for 8 years and I made it.....!