Notices

Class of July 2012 part 2

Old 07-18-2012, 08:22 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Wow lots of posts to catch up on! Day 4 today, work went by pretty fast. Got hit with some cravings again after work but stuck with soda tonight. Still waiting for the best pain to go away but it seems to be getting a lil better each day.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:35 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  
A girl can dream...

Survived!

Well, just survived a second night out for dinner. I forewarned my pal that I wasn't drinking as soon as we stepped out of the car. She asked why and I said it made me feel crappy so I stopped. She asked at dinner what I was having and I said green tea but to go ahead and have some wine. She did, but only two glasses - If I'd been drinking she would have had way more.

Soooooooooo, friends have not been as critical of my quitting as I thought they would. My willpower is getting stronger. Thanks for everyone's posts yesterday/today. They really helped me through the last two days!
Old 07-18-2012, 10:13 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Morning all, tea's up

Just gone 6am here. Had a pretty crappy sleep until 2am when I had to wake myself up and start again, seemed to be a constant round in my head of SR/drink/SR/drink/SR... aaaargh. Put the lamp on and read for a few minutes, then zonked out again fine.

I had a pretty late night sober by my standards - 10pm lol! It's nice though that I don't feel I have to lock myself away at 8 with a book to avoid anything that may make me want to drink.

This is my 3rd time into second week since I joined. I have to get through this one, otherwise I think I am just going to be completely soul destroyed. MUST DO IT!!

Ok, finishing tea then will do as much Zumba as I can. I've cleared the floor more, yesterday I nearly ended up sitting in the washing basket

Have a great Thursday everybody!!
Old 07-18-2012, 10:58 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Morning all

Day 18, feeling positive after a decent sleep.

Will check in later.Hope you all have a good day
Old 07-18-2012, 11:55 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Wow congrats on 18 days jhe! And well done on getting through the meal and opening up to your friend lwb, maybe she was relieved she didn't have to drink more

Finally got 25 minutes of Zumba in. DD woke up earlier than anticipated. My first reaction was to get cross and think Grrrr why can I never have any time just to do something for me. Calmed down and it ended up with me saying c'mon, join in, it's good to do some dancing in the morning!

Who is this person?!! lol
Old 07-19-2012, 12:08 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Thanks MTN

My DS woke up early today too-we are off for a walk and to jump in muddy puddles!

Hope you are feeling better for doing Zumba
Old 07-19-2012, 12:13 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Another peppa pig fan jhe? Have fun I'm off this morning to do my little once a week cleaning job... they changed my day so DD will have to come with me. Not fun! Hopefully we'll get out this afternoon and do something.

Feeling much better thanks. Have a great day
Old 07-19-2012, 01:31 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Day 18, that's awesome!

MTN I know you can do it!

And congrats to you lifewithoutbooz, it's great that your friend react better than expected.

I didn't sleep much, and woke up right after a drinking dream, with a dreamy taste of beer in mouth. Depressed me right away. Feeling really sad now, but luckily I have to get going, to record some stuff with my friends.
In my non-drinking phases, I've become addicted to sparkling water. I bet it's something everyone knows here.

Only two gigs this week, tomorrow and saturday. Pretty sure I'm gonna make it this time. I must go beyond day 6, it seems easy.

Today is day 3.

Have a nice day!
Old 07-19-2012, 02:53 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  
TiG

Day 5: Woke up early for work travel. Didn't sleep so well. Breathing is easier though, like my lungs have more space to expand. Lost a few pounds too. All water weight I'm sure. No real cravings yet, and I believe it's because of reading everyone's posts. Told my wife I was "stopping" with the beer. She said, "good" you're crabby when you drink. And here I thought I was kinda funny when I drank. Witty, smart and generally observant too. Guess not.

Congrats everyone for staying strong. We can do it!
Old 07-19-2012, 05:13 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Morning All. Hello Day #5. I saw you a week or two ago, but failed. This time I'm good and have great incentive to stay strong. Sleeping better and can really see the improvement of no alcohol. Not starting over this time.
Old 07-19-2012, 05:22 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats on day 5 MtnSeer

D
Old 07-19-2012, 05:31 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  
kiddo

Just finishing up day 11. I can't really believe I've been able to do this, and I still get times when I catch myself thinking of going out to use. That's obviously normal though and I'm getting used to stopping that.
Old 07-19-2012, 05:31 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  
Stingy athlete recovery method

Hi all,

Thank you for the updates, which are most encouraging. Here's a humorous one from me:

Yesterday afternoon I was in a yoga class, deep into a stationary relaxation pose, in a rare moment of peace, with an empty mind, basking in utter calm and comfort. And what pops into my mind?

"A COLD VODKA MARTINI RIGHT AFTER THIS YOGA CLASS AT TRIMBLE'S WOULD BE OH SO SPLENDID."

Where did that come from!

Mel
Old 07-19-2012, 06:37 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  
Stingy athlete recovery method

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
That's why it's important I think to remember that recovery is about more than not drinking...find new things to do around your witching hour...& find new natural healthy ways to reduce stress...whether it's walking, or meditation, or yoga, or zumba, or reading, or a new hobby...whatever floats your boat
Dee - You put that beautifully. I tend to overdo exercise to the point of injury, and I experienced significant problems in the past by overdoing meditation and was medically advised to cut it out. More generally, I overdo whatever interest I pursue. Could it be that I am an addictive personality? No, that's impossible . . .

The shrinks are going to have their work cut out for them in my case!

Originally Posted by Sentso View Post
Mel: do you really need confirmation? Don't you know deep inside that alcohol doesn't bring you inspiration? Sometimes it helps bring things back to the surface, but it's a too easy and dangerous way I think. . .

(I find quitting alcohol harder than quitting opiates. Not physically though, cause the withdrawal from opiates was a pure nightmare.
But alcohol is accepted by everyone and is everywhere, whereas opiates are not.
When I quit doing opiates, I had a lot of support from my friends and my girlfriend, cause they were worried. They are not as worried and therefore as supportive regarding alcohol)
Sentso - Yes, my best intuition tells me alcohol is bad for my career. But under that layer of the onion is a fear that my career might spin out in any case. One likes to intoxicate away that anxiety.

Sober intuition also tells me to aggressively move ahead with my latest ideas instead of depending on my ancient "hit" formulas that sound fresh in my ears only when I am intoxicated to the point of not noticing I am beating a dead horse. But moving ahead in a new style is a career risk. Will people like the music if I change styles? Another anxiety to intoxicate away.

In sum, being a people pleaser is not working for me. For instance, I prefer marijuana to alcohol but do not use marijuana. Why? I use alcohol because it is socially omnipresent--and people pleasers tend to go along. From now on I suppose I will need to be assertive, to go against the social tide, in resisting the public expectation that I join in with the drinking.

People-pleaser musicians are chicken about coming out of the closet with a new style. We say "Give them what they want." I know that I will need to do the hard work of finding a middle ground, a style that brings something familiar to those who like what I have done while forging new territory. That is going to call for hard work of an amount not compatible with the energy drain that goes with a habit.

Sentso - thank you for indulging this stream-of-consciousness on the stresses of a music career, which I am guessing you share to at least some extent. On one hand, I could take these stresses as a reason for using but, on the other hand, I could take these stresses as a positive impetus that will refresh the content and quality of the work I do. Let's see which road I choose.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:43 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Jumping in at Day 4..
Old 07-19-2012, 07:04 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  
Fdm

Day 1 again. I have been tempted and experimented with tequila. I will post a thread with the results.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:17 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

FDM, You can do this.

A lot of musicians here! Great to see and best wishes to you.

I'm at day 18 and I'm smiling at that! It's been a while since I have been able to go this long but this round is different. I am loving the way I feel with a wine free life and I just don't want to give this up for anything.

Sure, I have those false romantic thoughts about wine in the evening but I remember them for what they are; lies. Plain and simple lies. The wine will do nothing to better my spiritual, emotional, or physical health. That is what I remind myself when the little voice says, "Oh, you're missing out on the good stuff."

I hope everyone has a wonderful Thursday! Let's go into this weekend strong and determined to better ourselves and not fall back into the alcohol trap.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:26 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by flachead View Post
Thanks for the encouragement from you all, everyday I read this forum - and I get good ideas that WORK, For our class that has slipped - keep trying - it surely is worth the lesson, some mistakes not to be repeated (at least thats how I learn). My problem now, what is with the sugar cravings - not a big person on sweets ever. Any idea how to chase the cravings away?
In the AA big book, in the chapter "to the wives" it tells the wife to keep plenty of chocolate in the house for the recovering alcoholic! Seems the craving for sugar has been common for a long time! I get my fix with my coffee creamer, the flavored stuff, hot or iced with my coffee....its a bit sweet & seems to quench the need for sugar I have never been a real big sweets person either though...my vice was always greasy rolled tacos from the mexican drive thru at 2am....or a huge breakfast burrito to cope w/my hangover! sooo not healthy!
Old 07-19-2012, 07:39 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Day 7! One week today! Happy dance!

thank you to everyone & your encouraging posts & sharing your journey! I had never joined a "class" that i've kept up with since i've joined this site. Its super to know we are all on the same path together!

Today...therapy & psych appt (thank god) and I was invited to a womens meeting/potluck/everyone has kids & brings them meeting tonight at a womans house. I hear there about 30 women who attend! I really feel like I need to connect with other moms!

I hope you all have a great day! I'm praying for each one of you
Old 07-19-2012, 07:57 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Congrats on 1 week Jstar