Notices

Class of May 2012 Pt 7

Old 07-18-2012, 12:33 AM
  # 441 (permalink)  

Hi all
Back from vacation and right back into my chaos of clients and their summer remodeling projects. Congrats to all for still hanging tough and extra big congrats to French Pink on your new job.

Keep sober!
GingerBeer
Old 07-18-2012, 01:46 AM
  # 442 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Thanks Thursday

Jane - the way I approached undergrad was just to take things one week, or even one day at a time...I'm speaking in terms of assessement and work here...but it works for life too

don't leave things too long...just hack at it piece by piece...I'm sure you'll do great

D
Thanks D, I'm home and I've sat down in front of my computer and made a spreadsheet and calendar of due dates for all my assignments. I'm going to tape it to my wall and I'll knock off the dates 1 by 1 so I can keep an eye on everything.

Going back to school after 7yrs in the workforce has given me the skill of being hyper organised and I know if make a visible calendar it will help me stick to a timetable.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:43 AM
  # 443 (permalink)  
Administrator

I didn't go to Uni at all until I was 26...I think being older gives you an extra insight into what you need to do and what it all means

You'll be fine

D
Old 07-18-2012, 02:57 AM
  # 444 (permalink)  

Day 45. Yesterday was just hectic. Or rather, it was a long day, and I couldn't get to the computer long enough to post my usual ramblings. So, a lucky break for you folks then...
But today is another coldish, grey morning. I've had breakfast and sorted out mum's. Just waiting for them to come and get her up. I could do it myself, but she's a bit less cooperative with me, and we end up arguing. And besides, she needs her rest these days. As do I, but I have to be up...

Yesterday was my main games evening. It's a bit weird at the moment, because I'm not sure how long the game's going to run for. My character nearly got killed by a vampire last night. Which will make her life a little awkward. How to explain the bullet wounds? We get bonus stuff for writing an in character account of the game. Which is nice, but unnecessary. I enjoy doing that anyway. The scary thing is that they read a lot like my posts on here... Which may have given people the wrong idea about me in the past.

Anyway, back in the present - and yes, here and now is a gift. It's not, however, one that anyone kept the receipt for. And I don't think it's safe to pass it on to that auntie that nobody speaks to anymore - I've changed the starter motor on the fluorescent tube in the front room. Why we couldn't just have a normal bulb, I don't know, but we don't. Anyway, we now have proper light again!

I've got another meeting today, which is good. Feeling much more positive than I have for a while. Actually it's not that long, it's just the last few days have been a real wrench. But, as they say, this too shall pass. And it has.
Now all I need to concentrate on is Saturday, and meeting my new gaming group. In a pub. Try not to get there too early, and if I can't find them, go for a walk for a few mins and come back.

OneLessLonely - At the moment, I'm not in that dark place. I would say, not anymore, but that's dangerous thinking. All I need to do is hold on for a little longer, and she'll be taken care of without me having to die. And thanks for your kind words, they mean a lot.

In fact, thanks to all of you for your kindness. It's helped me through... not just the last couple of days, although especially those, nor even the last 45, but all the days since I joined this forum.

kittycat - hope the depression starts to lift. For a long time I told myself I didn't want anybody in my life. Part of it was that I didn't believe anyone would have me. And part of it was that I didn't know what to do to meet them. Sometimes it happens when you're not even thinking about it. And sometimes when it does... let's not go there. Sometimes it works out. But the important thing right now, for all of us, is to get ourselves sorted out. When that happens, the rest will follow.

Luling - Thanks for the recommendation, I think I'll pick up the first two books - they have an offer on, and I forget if it's buy one get one free, or buy one get one half price.
It's great your husband's sober. That must help a lot. Hope the running goes well, and it's good that you've got away from Ms One Upper.

FP - hope it gets less humid soon, and congrats on the practise. I need to get back into the habit. It's been a few months since I picked my guitar up. Your posts are always so thoughtful and helpful.

SoberJaneDoe - I know the feeling very well. There's been times when I've really wanted to pick up. But something inside makes me stop, pick up the phone, post on here... It feels like I'm the rope in a tug of war when it happens. Congrats on staying sober. And good luck at uni.

Saskia - I've been tempted by an iPad, but I think I'm going to need something a bit beefier in September. Or else to use the spare keyboard for my macbook.

Leemzer - congrats on 75 days

Thursday - I'm glad that your head's a bit quieter. Good luck with the running

pink - parting is difficult, I know. But your head's in the right place, and I know you'll get through it. And you're not the only one who wouldn't be as strong without SR in general, and the rest of this class of May 2012.

crewisms - congrats on 31 days

Jeni - congrats on 53 days, and isn't it great to have a choice of two promotions. At the end of the day (it gets dark - except at the poles in summer) you need to do what's right for you. And it's good you have time to consider it thoroughly.

Anyway, I have to go to my meeting. I've not quite caught up with things, but that's what comes from rambling so much. I'll be back later this afternoon. Hope you all have a good day, that life doesn't mess with your heads.
Love and hugs to you all. And may your higher power go with you.
Old 07-18-2012, 03:05 AM
  # 445 (permalink)  
Administrator

Do they still use dice in role playing games Emily?...it's been about 30 years since I played...I never seemed to live for very long, lol

D
Old 07-18-2012, 06:04 AM
  # 446 (permalink)  

FP! I am so excited for you that you got your job back! That is truly a blessing. So many people are staying unemployed for so long now it is scary. I have one of the very few pensioned jobs left in this country and I will not ever give it up no matter what. Even cooler to me is that you got your old job back, so no starting at a new one and having to start all over. Congrats to you!!!!

Everything is going well here. I have slacked a little on the exercise and have just been so darn hungry lately. I have to watch it, because I don't want to give any of these 18 pounds back!

Good day to everyone!
Lee
Old 07-18-2012, 07:58 AM
  # 447 (permalink)  

FP, congrats on your job and your new jet-setting abilities! That's wonderful. Four tickets? I assume with the size coach seats are these days that will allow one good trip for an elephant

Went for a nice afternoon float on the river yesterday with a friend. I've been exhausted the last few days, trying to catch up on sleep. I think I need to get my swimming routine going and start eating again more regularly. I feel like all the emotional turmoil of the last 68 days is catching up to me physically. If I could sleep for a week, I would
Old 07-18-2012, 08:19 AM
  # 448 (permalink)  

Well, I'm back from my meeting, and I'm sitting down eating meatballs and instant ramen. Ah, it's all good. The weather has remembered that it's the middle of July for once, and I'm looking forward to my trip to Beeston later. Which is an improvement over the last Wednesday when I really didn't want to be there, and was hanging around trying not to drink.

FP - Brilliant news that you have your old job back. So happy for you. I'm not sure I could tell the difference between those types of chicken myself. And if the cats ate it, either they can't tell, or don't care. Hope your car gets through its emissions test. Congrats on 66 days.

SoberJaneDoe - You belong on your course. They wouldn't have accepted you if they thought you couldn't do it. That's what I'm telling myself anyway. You'll do fine. As you say, spending 7 years working for a living gives you a good set of tools for dealing with student life.

Saskia - hope things look better soon. It's easy to say this, but it will pass.

Thursday - I've never seen the film, but it sounds like one to miss. I've never really drunk... wine. [Sorry.] And a large part of that was a kind of inverted snobbery. I hated the 'sophisticated' image. I hated the stuff I heard people say about it. Plus, I felt it just wasn't for me.

And yes, I'm also coming to realise that my drinking career wasn't quite how I remember it. That I wasn't always happy when I was drunk. Even after the last time, I still remembered it as being cheerful. And the truth is that that last time... wasn't. Whether I'd hit the point where it stops working, I don't know. Not that it matters anymore...

GingerBeer - welcome back. How was your vacation?

Dee - yes, they do. The ones I play just use ten sided dice, and a lot of them. There are some that use the whole set of them. [Dungeons and Dragons is on its 4th edition, soon to be on it's 5th.] And thanks for the advice you gave to SoberJaneDoe.

Anyway, it's a good day today. It's a good day for a number of reasons, but mainly because it's a day without alcohol in it.
I'll be heading off again soon. Have a good day. Be good to yourselves. Be kind to yourselves. Thank you for helping me do what I can't do by myself. You're a great bunch of folks. Love and hugs to you all.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:42 AM
  # 449 (permalink)  

Deserto, I am exhausted too! To the point where I'm considering go to the doctor to check for Lyme or something... It does not feel like the good exhaustion of a longs day work or some nice physical activity. It's all I can do to get up go to work and not fall asleep during dinner. I would say you've had much more emotional turmoil than I have, but I wonder also if mine has something to do with my stressful weekend with my parents. Im day 59 which is close to where youre at too. I would love to say that it is my body healing but I was more of a three night a week binger than a daily drinker, and I just don't know if the physical recoveries are similar. At any rate, you're not alone in the fatigue department. I'm glad you posted about it.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:13 AM
  # 450 (permalink)  

I will third the fatigue department. I have been tired nearly all of my sober days. I didn't think it would last this long either. I am getting plenty of sleep and for the most part eating healthily. I am also exercising. It has to be the no drinking because I did not feel this way when I drank. So this healing must take a long time. I haven't mentioned it for a while but glad both of you posted about it.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:43 AM
  # 451 (permalink)  

Ginger, nice to hear from you! Hope you had a great vacation and you're rejuvenated to jump right back into work! How is the sober train going for you?
Old 07-18-2012, 09:44 AM
  # 452 (permalink)  

Mammoth, I am soooo happy about your job! What great news. When do you start back?
Old 07-18-2012, 09:45 AM
  # 453 (permalink)  

OLL, yeah, getting checked by a doctor sounds like a good idea. With what your going through, depression is one of the probable causes. You can talk to doc about what's going on and is starting meds is right for you. You may want to try another route too, counseling, which can help you with coping mechanisms. Needless to say, you really should see the doc because it could be something else, low thyroid etc... I'm thinking of you.

FP- that is such great news on the job front!!!I am so happy for you

Crew- congrats on your milestone! I guess it's 32 today Great job bud!

I have lots of reading to do to catch up with you all. Just wanted you to know I survived my 6 12s in 7 days. And actually today, I'm feeling tired but pretty good. I am going to LA on Friday with some long time friends for a film festivle. One friend helped make a movie and it is getting awards. Pretty cool stuff. I am going to celebrate with him. This is huge for him and I'm really happy for him. It's gonna pull me WAY out of my comfort zone though. I don't have a thing to wear. And can I borrow sombody's social grace for a few days? I promise I'll return it...
Old 07-18-2012, 10:38 AM
  # 454 (permalink)  

I might be a little scarce until next week. I've been busy getting ready for my trip (mostly organizing so my husband and kids can kind find stuff while I'm gone), and I leave tomorrow. I'm very excited about seeing Nova Scotia; it'll be my first trip to Canada. I'll read the forum on my phone, but might not post.

I'm feeling strong in my sobriety, but not over-confident. I plan to bring my running shoes with me, so that should help. I'm a little anxious about being away from my 2-year-old, but my husband will stay home from work and he has some fun plans for the kids. Anyway, I'm heading out to run errands; have a great day!
Old 07-18-2012, 12:17 PM
  # 455 (permalink)  

Luling, have fun on your trip! I have never been to nova scotia. Keep us close on your phone. That has helped me more than a few times. Im still afraid to stray too far from here. I still read on here multiple times per day.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:23 PM
  # 456 (permalink)  
Sober Mammoth!

Originally Posted by Deserto View Post
FP, congrats on your job and your new jet-setting abilities! That's wonderful. Four tickets? I assume with the size coach seats are these days that will allow one good trip for an elephant

Went for a nice afternoon float on the river yesterday with a friend. I've been exhausted the last few days, trying to catch up on sleep. I think I need to get my swimming routine going and start eating again more regularly. I feel like all the emotional turmoil of the last 68 days is catching up to me physically. If I could sleep for a week, I would
Hey, Dweller. Thank you for your kind high-fives on my job and airfare prize. I was hoping a little of my good news would coax you out of hiding for a precious post to us, and here you are. Thinking with the conspicuously unwieldy heft and girth of my mammoth gigantism, perhaps the airline would allow me to exchange restrictive passenger seating for a more suitable and pach-friendly seafaring barge, instead.

Glad you had a relaxing social time on the river, my friend. You surely deserve a break. I'm sorry to hear that your troubles are taking their toll on you. Looks like several of us are members of your Dawg-tired club, regardless of our individual trials. Hope you can find more time to take care of you. Big hugs to you, poem mate.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:20 PM
  # 457 (permalink)  
Sober Mammoth!

Originally Posted by GingerBeer View Post
Hi all
Back from vacation and right back into my chaos of clients and their summer remodeling projects. Congrats to all for still hanging tough and extra big congrats to French Pink on your new job.
Great to hear from you, GingerB! Thank you for your special-mention thumbs up on my job. Hope you had a wonderful time on your vacation... they're always over just as we're getting into the groove. Hugs to you, sobermate.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:28 PM
  # 458 (permalink)  
Sober Mammoth!

Originally Posted by Leemzer View Post
FP! I am so excited for you that you got your job back! That is truly a blessing. So many people are staying unemployed for so long now it is scary. I have one of the very few pensioned jobs left in this country and I will not ever give it up no matter what. Even cooler to me is that you got your old job back, so no starting at a new one and having to start all over. Congrats to you!!!!
Hey, Lee. Thank you so much for your well wishes on my job reinstatement! Yes, it is so much easier to continue on than to break ground at a different workplace, especially since a new job in my same field would likely pay less elsewhere. Excellent that you have secure, pensioned employment, as well. Keep up the good sober fight, May mate. Always love to read your encouraging posts. Hugs to you.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:07 PM
  # 459 (permalink)  
Sober Mammoth!

Originally Posted by OneLessLonely View Post
Mammoth, I am soooo happy about your job! What great news. When do you start back?
Hey, OneLess. Congrats on Day 59! Big ol' milestone coming up for you tomorrow, sobermate! Excellent. Thank you for your thumbs up on my job rehire. I'll be working on some part-time gig starting next week, but the full time begins in late August.

I'm sorry to hear that you're feeling so tired. Hoping it's something transient, but maybe your doctor can provide an answer. Having been both a long-time daily drinker going through PAWS at my first several-months stretch of sobriety, and returning as a 3-day weekend binger for several months, I can say with certainly that PAWS still plays a big part in this last 67 days. While less so than as a daily drinker, I attribute my moodiness and fatigue to my body/brain healing their wounds from booze damage. Be kind to yourself, OneLess. Hugs to you.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:24 PM
  # 460 (permalink)  

I'm at the beach. Enjoying the sun and watching the surf. I'm realising how evolving and changing my sobriety process is. It's not an instant thing, I can't just give up alcohol and say I'm sober. One week I'll be feeling fine and dandy and then the insecurities that made me turn to alcohol come out. If I'm going to be sober. I need to face my anxiety and my faults head on.