Notices

Class of May 2012 Pt 7

Old 07-20-2012, 07:34 AM
  # 501 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ThursdayNight View Post
Lee, by the way, what is your avatar? My eyesight is terrible but it kind of looks like a fireball in a garage. What is that?
I was wondering when someone would ask, LOL. It is a fireball. I took my kids to a museum and one of the demonstrations involved (safely) igniting a balloon filled with pure hydrogen. I like the pic because I caught it at the exact moment it blew...I probably only had a 1/5 second window there.
Old 07-20-2012, 07:53 AM
  # 502 (permalink)  

gaah, the link didn't work, so I'll try again...

Back from the shops, writing in progress... everything proceeding at... well, if not exactly full steam ahead, then still moving forwards.

As to how I feel... I'm not sure whether I'm thinking about picking up because of how I feel, or whether it's the other way round. I'm leaning towards the latter at the moment, if that makes sense. Since I got back from London, Catherine has been much more... vocal. Perhaps she thinks I'm off balance a little. Maybe I am, but I know this. I'm not going to give in today. Because I know she's lying, and it won't make things better.
And today will get better, I'm sure of that.
Thanks Dee, thanks Leemzer. I'm a little shaky at the moment, wobbling a bit. I have a meeting in a little over three hours. That should get me back on an even keel again.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:32 AM
  # 503 (permalink)  
Sober Mammoth!

Originally Posted by ThursdayNight View Post
Okay, FP, since your cat feeding duties are over, I'm back to my original Avatar.
Thursday, thank you for your solidarity throughout my arduous adventures with my clowder of cats and cat ladies. You're the best!

(What the heck is a "clowder," French Punk?? May mates, a clowder is a group of cats.)
Old 07-20-2012, 12:42 PM
  # 504 (permalink)  

oops - I deleted this one since I posted twice!!!
Old 07-20-2012, 12:48 PM
  # 505 (permalink)  

FP, yes, you are so spot on about the duality of the situation I’m in – being alone Vs. being in a relationship. I just don’t worry about it. I try to live a full and enjoyable life with close friends and if a partner comes into the picture, am open to that, too.

SJD: With a big change like you’re going through, on top of being sober now, I don’t think it’s surprising that life is more challenging than usual. I didn’t finish college until I was 46 and a master’s degree when I was 54 so I do understand what it’s like to go back later. I had a lot of mixed feelings at various times but am glad I stuck it through. It sounds like you’re getting a handle on things by getting organized!

ThursdayNight: I agree with what you said about movies. There was one I saw maybe 5 years ago that definitely showed alcoholism in all of its ugliness. I can never remember movie titles or actors but do remember some stories when they really hit home for me. You are sounding very strong!

GingerBeer: Good to hear from you!

Emily: I’m still enjoying your wonderful posts; definitely a mix of a whole range of emotions and that’s so positive! I keep seeing so much growth in your thinking, it’s almost magical. Hugs to you, May sobermate!

Jeni: keep up the strength! You know you can do this! Sorry to hear you are in our group of fatigued May banditos and banditas! I get a mental picture of all of you taking a siesta wearing your sombreros.

OLL: Sorry to hear about the fatigue. I agree with everyone who suggested seeing a doctor. They can at least run basic blood tests to make sure it’s not something obvious like anemia. We are all going through so many physical and mental/emotional changes that it’s probably not surprising that we all feel effects sometimes. Your post yesterday evening sounds like you’re having an emotional low. Have you thought of counseling? I imagine others have probably suggested that and although it’s certainly not a cure-all, when I’m in a stuck place I find it helps to have someone who knows what they’re doing help me direct my thoughts. I’ve added a note below more about this since you’re definitely not alone in feeling this way.

Crew: So glad to see you stopping by now and then – we all love to hear from you.

Hit: I don’t think anyone will make you give back those 18 lbs, LOL

Lee: Same for you as OLL on the fatigue front. Don’t let that drag you down – if it’s something simple, you’d regret later not having checked it out sooner.

Deserto: it sounds like your body is adjusting to the changes. Floating on the river with a friend sounds just perfect. I know you’ve had so much going on in your life and hope it will calm down a bit soon.

Luling: you are sounding so strong and grounded. So happy your husband is joining you as a sober bandito. And I hope you had a great trip to Nova Scotia.

Pink-mateHow are you doing?

FP: Are you enjoying your “catless” days? Even if you use all 4 free seats for your elephantine body, just imagine the reaction of your seat-mates, the flight attendants and the captain, LOL! And, even more hilarious, imagine the TSA!!

2Mags: good to hear from you when you can post. You always have much wisdom to share.

Kittycat: I hope you had a lovely birthday with your friends yesterday. An extra special birthday in your sobriety! If you eat that birthday cake in FP’s photo, you will probably end up with a HUGE tummy ache.

Dee: You are so amazing with your kind and steadying hand tapping us on the shoulder and cheering us on when needed.

Wehav2day: welcome to our wonderful group of May banditos and banditas! I hope you’ll find us friendly and supportive.

Uninvited: yes, I understand “serial addict” only too well. I never did drugs (other than alcohol) but also have gone through eating too much (I can never stop at just 1 cookie!) and spending too much. With gastric bypass surgery, they tell us to watch for “transfer of addiction” since it’s so easy to go to something else.

Congratulations on the many great anniversaries to all!

For everyone suffering from fatigue, depression, “meh”, etc: I’ve found that when I stopped drinking, I just wasn’t used to making good use of my time and getting myself motivated to do things. It’s easy to feel depressed, etc. by sitting around. So you might try making small plans for yourself – maybe one thing a day to see how that makes you feel. If that helps, it may encourage you to add another, etc. When I drink I don’t tend to “do” much so it’s hard to switch gears.

AFM: My little down spell is over. That, imho, is just part of life. It never stays even and that’s part of the joy of it. We never know what’s around the next corner and that keeps us on our toes.

I’m working now on keeping my eating and spending moderate in addition to staying sober. I’m trying not to do my usual “do everything at one time” but just do eating and spending in moderation. I don’t want to switch addictions again! When I start feeling “meh”, I sometimes find that it’s at least partly because when I drink I don’t have to “do” anything to keep myself feeling good. So I try to plan stuff to do so I’m not overloaded but am not sitting around all day. I miss sometimes but on average doing ok. I’m enjoying walking, eating fresh berries for snacks, limiting work to what I’m being paid for (!) – this is definitely easier to do when one is semi-retired.

One more big (for me) DIY job next week and then just little stuff. I’m also still reading, went to see a musical last night and out to dinner with a friend. Still finding time for R&R so that’s a good thing.

Old 07-20-2012, 01:31 PM
  # 506 (permalink)  

Thanks Saskia. Day 70 here.

In addition to catching up on sleep, I got sick of feeling constantly behind the curve at work. Preoccupation and its sidekick procrastination had left a mounting list of minor, dull and avoided tasks that (I suddenly realized) was stressing me out immensely.

So I started the day off with a list and just committed to doing nothing but scratching them off. Most were rather harmless 20 minute tasks, and the type of task that you naturally avoid anyhow (typing up notes, sending a budget update, changing some code on a website) because they are so dull.

Didn't get them all done -- but got most of them done, and feel much better for it.

As a reward I think I'll kick off early now and go for a swim
Old 07-20-2012, 02:12 PM
  # 507 (permalink)  
Sober Mammoth!

Good Friday afternoon, boaters! Hope everyone is doing well in their sobriety today. I will likely not be back with posts until tomorrow afternoon, as I am on another introspective mission for a special friend that may not be complete until later this evening.

The big nail-biting question is.... Who will be the first May mate to call "shotgun" when Dee turns over our thread to Part 8???
Old 07-20-2012, 02:18 PM
  # 508 (permalink)  
Administrator

OK time for a new thread

get ready...set...

we continue here:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...12-pt-8-a.html
D