Notices

August Sobriety Group - pt.7

Old 01-20-2010, 01:21 PM
  # 261 (permalink)  

VC- If anyone has a sense of humor it is me. Actually, if I start being serious people ask me if something is wrong. But I guess I just don't get your joke? I can take a joke as well as anyone, but I just don't get it. Can you explain?

Anew- I will share the meeting topic when I have one. I better get cracking! haha. This day at work has been one of pure hell! It seems for every fire I put out, 3 more flare up. Should probably stop reading SR, but I just like to see how all of you crazy cats are doing!

If anyone has any meeting suggestions for me, please share. Hugs.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:24 PM
  # 262 (permalink)  
Owner of a strange glitch.

Procrastination, Brent?

Think an alcoholic or two might be able to relate to that topic... just saying. *wink*

Well, it's raining swimming pools here, flooding's as bad as about 18" in places (I stopped caring once I was wet). I didn't have any cigarettes, so I braved the mud puddles and the blacktop rivers and got some... addiction does things to us, huh? But without candies or cigarettes, my resistance would have been down... as it already was.

Coming back, I decided to stop/seek refuge in the bookstore for a while, see how bad it'll be... amazingly, my books will come out to less than $100 it's looking like. That's stunning (last semester was $840). So there's a positive, to say the least... gives me an extra $100 a month. Don't know what my budget will look like, a part of me is saying in the middle of a fiscal year they won't adjust anything... another part of me is saying nothing is like it was. So I'll wait till I have the money.

And I learned I am missing a class in one of my departments... the other, made an appointment and I'm hoping for the best, because if I'm missing a class over there... don't know how I might make it up now. It's a little late. This is why it's a good idea to have advisors who actually talk to you about what you're doing... ours don't seem to always.

(I walked in on the dean to find this out... yeah. Not supposed to jump rank like that, but it was partly social hehe. Or so I say.)

So now I'm feeling really good and motivated and all that--it's a world of difference. I know I shouldn't be left alone, but there was no choice... now I got something to think about.

And I got some spaghetti sauce at the store, come home and made that, thinking to myself, it's cheating. Then I realized, it's been since around my first week of sobriety that I cooked.... Progress not perfection.

And no procrastination, *nervous chuckle*.

Take care,
TB
Old 01-20-2010, 06:12 PM
  # 263 (permalink)  
KC1

BF - best of luck to you. I can relate to the whole pc/social issue. My hubby says that I am becoming addicted to the pc, so I am also trying to limit my time.

My grandmother is seriously ill in the hospital - she fell down a flight of steps and split her head open (she is 93 and still living alone). Trying to deal with that. My mother just arrived from out of town to help out - no idea how long she will be here. We get along okay, but after a few days...it's tough. But I'll survive..

TB - keep up the good work. You can do it.

To the rest of you are who still sober - way to go!!! Keep it up.

KC
Old 01-21-2010, 06:38 AM
  # 264 (permalink)  

Morning everyone! Day 71 here. They just keep adding up. I am hoping to someday not be the newest member of our AA group, but for now that is my role. The old timers really enjoy having a new person there. It reminds them of where they once were I guess. I am not the newest sober person there though, as a couple of them have had some slips, but they keep coming back, so that is great. And already I have seen a few quit coming. I am sure we all know what that means. Kind of like on SR.

But my topic at the meeting was forgiveness. Forgiving ourselves for what we have to to us and to the people that love us. It is easy to carry guilt around for what we have done in the past, and I thought it would be good to talk about. Everyone loved the topic and it was even said that some had never been to a meeting where that was the topic, and it was great to talk about it. So I guess it was a success and it was good to get some wisdom from the group.

Yeah TB, I did procrastinate, but that is how I roll in my life. If I have a month to get something done, I always do it the last day. That is how I was in high school and college also with assignments and projects. Not sure why I do this to myself, but I guess it is just how I am wired. I get it done with good results, but I am sure life would be less stressful if I just did things right away. Oh well, something to work on, right?
Old 01-21-2010, 08:24 AM
  # 265 (permalink)  

Well, Brent... if you figure out a way to do that, please let me know.

I could have written that last paragraph of yours.

That's spooky.

Have a lovely day y'all.
TB
Old 01-21-2010, 08:57 AM
  # 266 (permalink)  

Procrastination...alcoholics...hmm....well,, this alkie is guilty of procrastinating big time..
one of those character defects I am working on.

TB- way to go...you literally got out of yourself, and got out of that funk. You are such a wonderful work in progress to watch.

TC-sorry to hear about your Grandmother....prayers for her and peace to you and your family.

Brent...great topic for a meeting, and maybe one we could share with here on the board...

For me, it is hardest to forgive myself. I know that God forgives me., and I hope and know that others do. Sometimes though, I can get caught up in my head on thiings
I did in the past...and iI can just tick myself off..anyone else care to share?
Old 01-21-2010, 09:13 AM
  # 267 (permalink)  
Meow

I was planning on joining the procrastinators club....someday.

(((KC))) I am sorry about your grandmother's injury. I'm glad that you had a good time in the Caribbean. We leave in three weeks - woo hoo!

I have actively been on a diet, but people have been commenting on how much it shows in my face. I don't tell them that it's probably more the lack of alcohol that's showing, than anything else. It's absolutely amazing the difference it makes in a person's appearance - I'll even go out in public without makeup now (yay). A friend of mine quit drinking last year, and he started to look great. Then he started drinking again, and his face is all puffy and his skin is blotched. All those poisons in your system....
Old 01-21-2010, 09:22 AM
  # 268 (permalink)  

I have lost 19 pounds in 71 days since I quit drinking. Not exercising yet, but I am definitely more active during the day since I am not hungover and sick all the time. So that definitely helps. Plus all of the extra calories I was consuming everyday.... MAN! So easy to see how you can shed some pounds pretty quickly after "putting the plug in the jug." I am getting lots of compliments from my parents, wife, etc. about how much better I am looking, and how I am not nearly as "puffy." I guess sobriety looks good on us? I am almost down to my cage fighter weight. hahahaha.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:29 AM
  # 269 (permalink)  

:rotfxko oh PC...you will join the club someday! Congrats on your dieting success. You know when I was drinking, I don't think I realized how much it showed on my face, etc. I can definetely tell a difference when I am not drinking.

Brent...19 pounds...wow..you go cagefighter aka The Cannibal!
Old 01-21-2010, 03:21 PM
  # 270 (permalink)  

We need to get up and dance our very own, TB, better known as ThirtyBubbas has thirty days today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-21-2010, 04:30 PM
  # 271 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

Dance the TB dance!

Nice job on 19 pounds Bdid.......hope that happens to me! Well, that would be way too much, but maybe 10. I know what you mean about the "puffy" being gone....and looking healthy again.

Speaking of healthy, or lack there of.....the ice fishing "crew" is leaving tomorrow at 4am......there is a storm coming in and blizzard-like conditions are expected up there. These people are nuts. The Weather Service issued a watch, not sure if it turned to a warning yet but they said people in rural areas could become snowbound.

ONE MORE SIGN THAT IT'S GOOD I AM NOT GOING!!!!!!!!
Old 01-21-2010, 06:50 PM
  # 272 (permalink)  

Just want to jump in here on the health changes from not drinking. Since September as you all know I've joined the YMCA and started playing tennis a couple of times a week (in addition to some aerobic stuff). I've lost 10 lbs which is nice and I would like to lose another 8 - 10 by summer. But the real differerence physically has been internal. Some of you younger folks might not realize but when a person hits a certain age, your doctor starts doing routine tests. For men that includes cholesteral, blood pressure, and a couple other things. I had a checkup Monday. Regular exercise, and not drinking has resulted in all of my "numbers" improving about 20% since September. My doctor was impressed and said things looked excellent. That's some pretty good reinforcement and gives me motivation to keep living a healthy life style.

Your mileage may vary, but getting active really helps.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:46 PM
  # 273 (permalink)  

Zebra--I can really identify. My liver enzymes last February were high, to say the least. After only about 3 weeks of abstinence,the end of last year, they went back to being on the low side of normal! On the other hand, I've never had a problem with cholesterol (Swedes eat a LOT of butter and dairy products), but my last test in December showed high numbers of the bad stuff. Haven't discussed with doc yet but am hoping I don't have to go easy on butter, cream, etc. Would life be worth living without real butter and real heavy cream? Not so sure. I exercise a lot so you would think that would keep the numbers low. Oh well. I'll live in denial until my next doc appt.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:47 PM
  # 274 (permalink)  

Asta, you might have something with the exercise/general health thing. I've always been fairly active, and eat plenty of things that are good for me... and plenty of 'bad' stuff. Yeah, I use real butter. But even when I was drinking, all my levels/ cholesterol/ all that were always nicely tucked into the middle range. Doctor says that's why only my liver seems to be affected by "whatever it was you were drinking" (her words)--that if I hadn't, I'd be in far worse shape.

Since I've sobered up, it's a whole other story. I don't seem to want to cook anymore. I'm lucky to get food in me some days. Lethargic or something.

But, I'm in a good mood, dancing the TB dance--but y'all... that was Tuesday. I'm at 32 now. When I got back into the good mood, that was when... dunno if it had anything to do with that, might be.

Today was drenching rain, I was on about 8 city buses, far from home and laden with all sorts of packages... and out about $250 on stuff that I didn't get to use at all... late fees/court fines etc. Oh well. Theoretical bad days don't stick if you're in a good mood. Oh, and the last thing that happened to me... harassed by the cops in a car coming out of a diner after an AA meeting. Still a good day. Thirtybubba dance!

Take care all y'all, hopefully my happiness sticks to some/all y'all... I have enough, trust me on that.
TB
Old 01-22-2010, 07:11 AM
  # 275 (permalink)  
Meow

Congrats on 30+ TB! Hope the cop wasn't harassing you!

Regarding health, I'm down 17 pounds and working hard on getting more off. I had a physical in September and cholersterol was high. I was supposed to tackle it with diet - I also have gallstones - so I'm hoping this plus the not drinking helps these too.

I too love butter and cream and real cheese, plus chocolate and potato chips and chip dip etc etc etc. Sigh. In a lot of ways it's been harder for me to deal with giving up those things then the beer - I resent it more. I am trying to let myself have those things in moderation - like last night I have chili cheese fries (yum) for dinner at the rink and was still within my calorie range.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:23 AM
  # 276 (permalink)  

Glad to hear so many of us are experiencing some health benefits from the decision not to drink.

Zebra.I hear ya..as we age, I believe it is vital that we excercise coupled with good eating habits. I also believe it helps our mental health tremendously. Excercising releases those feel good endorphins, so, we get the same "high" without the alcohol.

PC-glad you are giving yourself the occasional treat, "chili cheese fries". I have been drinking a dessert tea with some (ok alot) of whipped cream on top as my treat lately.

Another weekend is upon us...anyone have big plans?

TB-sounds like you are dealing with the business of your past, and moving forward...
look at you...over a month of sobriety!!!!
Old 01-22-2010, 08:15 AM
  # 277 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

Still dancing the TB dance this morning! Somebody stop me!

I try not to eat the junk, but as you guys stated, the occasional treat is a must! My mental state is much more important to me right now, and I am in a good place. The rest will follow with time.

Well the storm "watch" has turned into a "warning." The ice fishing crew took off early today. The storm will move north to where they will be. Saturday sounds like a nightmare up there. It should taper off Sunday but it looks to be very gusty and low visibility for the ride home. I must be missing that "outdoorsy" gene. You have to be a whack job to want to go play in this weather. YUCK! I predict a motel room filled with people, a deck of cards and cases of beer....that SO reinforces my choice.

Today I am getting my hair done and tomorrow I have a massage. Football playoffs, the gym, and cooking some fun stuff will complete my weekend.

Hugs to all.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:39 AM
  # 278 (permalink)  

VC---you are quite the dancer, love your moves!!!

I would have to opt for your choices this weekend, they suit me a bit better then the artic ice fishing expedition.

Hmmm, I wonder if I can schedule a massage tomorrow?
Old 01-22-2010, 10:55 AM
  # 279 (permalink)  

VC--yeah, that's exactly how I've been doing it for a while now (years). Eat good when you can, but indulge yourself when you need to. That way, in my case, I can see a point to anything--there is no chance of external recognition of anything going on in my life (they mailed me my graduation invitations... don't even have anybody to see me get a silly hat LOL). I lived fast before, now I live lazy and do as I please. Life ain't forever, and I'm determined to enjoy a bunch of it.

Wish I could get a job... then it'd be perfect. Cause "as I please" usually involves traveling somewhere and I can't do that with no money.

Well, I'm on my own sponsor-wise till Sunday. Have to get to meetings--but all the women are gone. Well, all the ones with money. I'm sure I'm not the only one left behind.

Take care,
TB, doing the lazy (chair) version of the TB dance.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:19 AM
  # 280 (permalink)  

Friday afternoon! Wahoo! Just a few more hours of work and then off for a couple days. I have stacks of stuff on my desk, just no motivation to get it done. I will though. It is hard to relax on weekends if I know there is stuff unfinished on my desk at the office.

I am not doing much this weekend. It was supposed to be my Grandma's 80th birthday party on Sunday, but we have some severe rain, turning to ice, then snow of about 10 inches coming starting tonight. So it looks like everyone will be staying put for the weekend. Oh well, gives me a good chance to use the new snowblower I bought!

Watch some serious football on Sunday, but other than that just relax. Probably get a fresh supply of cranberry juice and a couple movies and chill.

TB- I can just picture you in my mind dancing the TB happy dance, and it is marvelous. Hugs to everyone else and congrats on the healthy choices all of you are making, Zebra, PC, Anew.

Oh, and VC- Have a fantastic weekend! Sound like you will be relaxing well while your husband is freezing his A$$ off on a frozen lake. I unfortunately also have the "outdoorsy gene" that you speak of. I will sit in a frozen tree line with snow coming down waiting for a deer. But for me, it is therapy. Alone, time to myself to think, reflect, and be alone with my thoughts. It is a guy thing I think.