# 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

August Sobriety Group - pt.7

Old part here :

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...pt-6-a-20.html

D
Old 12-21-2009, 03:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I just wanted to be first to post here, hahah!
Old 12-21-2009, 03:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Dang, you beat me by 12 minutes!
Old 12-21-2009, 03:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

boy i was pretty close too!
Old 12-21-2009, 04:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
KC1

Congrats Anew and BD - way to go!!!! You can do it. If you really put your mind to it, you can overcome the desire to drink.

So there I go giving advice that I have been finding tough to follow.

Counting down to vacation - only 9 more days. Can't wait.

KC
Old 12-21-2009, 06:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Meow

I have a little under two months. Wheeee!!!

I am taking next week off too, so after Wednesday I am done working for the year.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Since quitting drinking I've become a bit of a reader for the first time in my life. I ordered a variety of books about two weeks ago and have been busy reading then every night. They help me sleep.

Now though, I'm really confused. One of the book was "Under the Influence" which has been widely touted on this site. I read it in a day and have since re-read it. I read it with an open mind but I was looking for defining evidence that I am an alcoholic. I was willing, able and more than prepared to accept what the book told me. Unfortunately, what I got from the book is that either it is way wrong or I am am most certainly not an alcoholic. I honestly can't relate to the overwhelming majority of the evidence, tales, science and anecdotes in the book. I'm now beginning to doubt that my father was an alcoholic.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not angling for a drink, laying the path so to speak, I just can't say that black is white. I have drank once since August 8th and I feel great. I am content, indeed happy with my new lifestyle. Before I was a binge drinker. On reflection my problem was this. I drank like I drank when I was young, single and carefree. My drunken actions then didn't bother me then precisely because I was young, single and carefree. Now as I'm not young, single and carefree the same drunken actions leave me embarassed and depressed. When I drink now it is with the mindset that I want to get wasted because it is fun (or used to be fun). Getting wasted at 42 leaves me loathing myself. I am also drinking in a culture different from my own and cultural faux pas can easily happen.

Why am I not drinking now? Why have I been so sucessful in quitting thus far? After asking myself this I believe the answer is my vanity. Since quitting I lost a bit of flab and gained a bit of muscle. My workouts are longer and more productive. Now when I see alcohol I see empty calories. The thought of drinking a bottle of wine, gulping down these calories and becoming flabby again is at present enough for me.

Not sure what I hope to achieve by writing all this, maybe I want answers, maybe I wanted to have the diagnosis of alcoholic to add further strength to my sobriety. Maybe the book just disappointed me. Who knows?
Old 12-22-2009, 04:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Oh...I am envious of everyone that is off right now, or is going to be off from work in the next few days..grrrr...PC, done working for the rest of the year, KC off to warm waters, and Zebra enjoying time off and playing tennis..

Midton...if you are feeling better sober, and you are happy with that decision, I wouldn't worry about diagnosing yourself as an alcoholic. Even if it is for the sake of vanity, healthwise, it is a wise decision.

Well...off to walk the dog and start another sober day

Peace
Old 12-22-2009, 04:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good Morning Everyone :)

Midton...I just woke up and have only had a few sips of coffee so I am struggling to type coherently, but I wanted you to know that I can really understand where you are coming from. So much of what you wrote, I can relate to. In my opinion, one can abuse alcohol and not be an alcoholic. I think the subject of alcoholism is extremely complex.

I wish I could keep typing, but I have to go :(

I hope you all have a wonderful day!

PS...And I totally agree with this...for you and for me! ANEW, you are so wise! I just love ya!
Originally Posted by ANEWAUGUST View Post
Midton...if you are feeling better sober, and you are happy with that decision, I wouldn't worry about diagnosing yourself as an alcoholic. Even if it is for the sake of vanity, healthwise, it is a wise decision.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Morning everyone. Today is my birthday. The big 29! haha. Man, I am getting OLD! But on a bright note, I will NOT be drinking this year. My parents and Grandma are coming to our house tonight for supper. It will be fun. I think this will be my first birthday in years that I haven't drank, and I am really looking forward to it.

Midton- thanks for sharing. I can relate to what you are saying, and can relate. If I were you though, I would not think too hard about it. You are happier, feel better, and life is better now that you are not drinking. For whatever reason, not drinking is working for you. Stick with it.

KC1- I am sure you are getting excited for your vacation. How is your sobriety going? I am jealous you are getting out of the cold for awhile. We are supposed to get about a foot of snow here between now and Xmas. Get the snowblower ready, right?

I am working today, but this will be about the last day for the next couple weeks. The beauty of being self employed. Most of out clients are only thinking of Xmas and New Years right now, so there isn't much to do anyways. I am just going to spend some serious family time, SOBER! My brothers are coming home (weather permitting) and we are just going to relax. Well, relax as much as you can with a total of 6 girls ages 7 and under at my parents for 4 days! haha. Never a dull moment.

Hugs and best wishes to all of you. I hope 2010 is a year of many changes and happiness for all of us!
Old 12-22-2009, 09:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Meow

Happy Birthday!!!
Old 12-22-2009, 12:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Happy Birthday Brent...you youngster you! Enjoy your day....
Old 12-22-2009, 01:25 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

many happy returns Brent

D
Old 12-22-2009, 02:11 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks for the birthday wishes everyone! It means a lot to me. My how we have grown together as a group. Call me crazy, but I would say our "higher power" has brought us all together for a purpose!
Old 12-22-2009, 04:32 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi everyone!! Merry Christmas.... to those of us who celebrate!
Old 12-22-2009, 05:50 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'll be gone for a few days so I'll take this time to wish everyone in the August group a joyous (and sober) holiday season.
Old 12-22-2009, 06:06 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
KC1

KC here. I had a couple of glasses of wine today. My husband found his best friend dead in his home late last week. The funeral was today and I just did it and I don't care. So sad. The guy was young and left his 90-year old mother. She has buried her husband and both of her children. How awful is that. And I think I have problems........ ugh. So I slept for 3 hours after I got home and just got up. Having some seltzer water and going back to bed. That's all for now.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:07 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Meow

(((KC))) Sorry about your friend.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:35 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Owner of a strange glitch.

((KC))

Happy Birthday Brent.

Congrats PC on almost 2 months...

Well, I up and had a Brent Experience. I was in the chatroom here on Sunday, back to drinking again (I'd tried to quit again on Friday... Saturday afternoon that was obviously not gonna happen). Someone in the chatroom called around or something... told me to call a number (that I had called and requested a ride from... one of several in the area). This time, they knew I was coming, after giving my number, within an hour I had someone calling me asking if I'd like to go to a meeting Monday, and by the way there's a potluck tonight.

So I went (drunk but they hadn't specified sober) and had fun caroling and eating stuff... and meeting dang near a hundred people. Then on Monday I did the same... without the caroling and eating, but at a meeting. Then tonight, I just come back from a meeting too. This one had a potluck too...

And I asked the lady if she might be my sponsor, and she said she'd be honored... I like her. She's funny and realistic.

So anyways... Brent Experience, pt. II.

Go figure.

Take care y'all...
TB, back to 2 days sober... but happier this time 'cause there're people
Old 12-23-2009, 05:05 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

TB-WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Talk about a power greater then ourselves being at work here.
I prayed for you...sounds like a prayer has been answered.

I am sooooo happy that you have found some REAL support there. Face to face, heart to heart, hug to hug support.

(((hugs)))