Notices

Movie Club against depression

Old 09-21-2003, 07:18 PM
  # 121 (permalink)  

Lilya,

You are too terrific, getting all that info. I will check into those websites. I learned about her when I was in arts school, and really loved her work. Then later when the book and the movie came out I read/saw both. I still love Rodins as well.

It is sad that she suffered so from her illness and was not able to continue on with her work.

Juls

Juls
Old 09-22-2003, 07:16 PM
  # 122 (permalink)  

Well, I hope this will be of interest.

Guess what - I´m falling asleep with "Casablanca" on! It´s so wonderful and relaxing and wakes up the romantic woman in me.

I have been having problems with my sister-in-law so I´m a bit tense right now. I have to keep in mind what Dalai Lama says about adversity: The enemy is our greatest ally, because from him we learn true patience and compassion."

Oh, here he goes: "Here´s looking at you, kid...! Bogart, my man.

Use adversity
Old 09-22-2003, 08:41 PM
  # 123 (permalink)  

You must be laying in bed with the laptop I assume? LOL

Juls
Old 09-24-2003, 03:34 PM
  # 124 (permalink)  

You said it! I´m in bed with my laptop again, too tired for words. I´ve been making introductions all day, started at the University and ended with a business dinner with Italians who are making documentaries. Now I´m looking at "Bringing out the Dead" with Nicholas Cage by Scorsese, one of your greatest movie directors. I love that film. It´s so weird, but somehow so true. I also believe some spirits won´t leave the body. The scene, when Nicholas Cage revives the old man by playing Frank Sinatra, is great.

About artist couples: Did you see the film about George Sand and Alfred de Musset, "Les enfants du siècle"? It might interest you. With Juliette Binoche and Benoît Magimel and I think, by Diane Kurys.

Use adversity
Old 09-24-2003, 04:50 PM
  # 125 (permalink)  

Lilya,

I did see the movie about George Sand and Alfred de Musset, but it was years ago.

Did you know the poetess Emily Dickinson, never left the room she was born in? Well, I mean she must have left it when she was young to go to school and all, but at some point in her life, she stayed in that room always, just doing her writing. She must have suffered from severe type of anxiety disorder.

Bringing out the dead I thought was pretty bizarre and interesting. When I was young, my mother worked at a morgue as a lab technician. I used to take the bus after to school to go to her work. While I was waiting for her to get off work and take me home, I would play with bones trying to fit them into a skeleton, or look at the autopsy room, or look at all the different body parts in jars of formaldehye.

Pretty strange huh?

Juls
Old 09-24-2003, 07:27 PM
  # 126 (permalink)  

Juls,
Uh oh...the teacher in me is going to come out... here's an interesting Emily Dickinson fact. She adored children but couldn't interact directly with the, so she would hang a bit of gingerbread out of her window on a string and the children would come to get it full of glee.
She was educated for some years at a girl's school. Her seclusion and penchant for wearing white intensified with her father's death.
There is a marvelous film on her life produced by PBS but the title escapes me. I can check our library for the title if anyone is interested. Enough teacherese
~nite now,
mamabear
Old 09-24-2003, 07:43 PM
  # 127 (permalink)  

I like the memories you have from the morgue, Juls. Weird but fun. My father would love it as well. It´s kind of surreal.

Here is one vintage Emily for you and Mamabear:

I HIDE myself within my flower,
__That wearing on your breast,
You, unsuspecting, wear me too—
And angels know the rest.
__
I hide myself within my flower, ________5
That, fading from your vase,
You, unsuspecting, feel for me
Almost a loneliness.

Use adversity
Old 09-24-2003, 08:17 PM
  # 128 (permalink)  

Mamabear,

I do remember that fact about her also, and Lilya thanks for the Vintage Emily, but what is the underline5 mean?

Juls
Old 09-24-2003, 08:54 PM
  # 129 (permalink)  

Dear Lilya or anyone out there that might be awake

Oh dear,

I need a shoulder. I just had a very embarrassing moment. I was on this forum discussing a musician, when someone seemed to be asking me if I had meant some song when I mentioned some lyric, and it didn't fit, so I said I would research it. Then I mentioned that I probably could not listen too much until after work, as the school board might not approve of the lyrics too much and I repeated one of them. Thought I was making a joke, but it really was a rather inappropriate line for a forum, and then, to make it worse, I think it was one of those times when I mistook the real lyric for something I made up in my head, and it showed what a gutter my head is sometimes [i.e. it was a risque, so if it was my mistake, born from my thoughts, AAAAHHH! What an embarrassing moment! Fortunately, God saved me again (I have always stunk at jokes), and the message must have only gone out to one person, because I got an e-mail back saying something kind of snooty like, "Sorry, I meant that for so and so only." Oh well, before that it was a good day and I was feeling kind of confidant socially. Maybe a little too confident and went over the line into obnoxious. But I was only joking. And if the dude can't take a joke, that is his problem, right? He did send the e-mail to me, and he DID ASK, right? Help! me out here! Throw me a line of comfort! The social anxiety stinks sometimes.

Feeling antsy,
Nancy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
8c5.jpg (2.5 KB, 1010 views)
Old 09-24-2003, 09:42 PM
  # 130 (permalink)  

Hey Nancy,

Don't be so hard on yourself. I am somewhat of a social misfit, and I am always questioning whether I am being appropriate with my humor etc.

Even if you did offend someone it's not the end of the world. We can't be perfect, and this is not like your best friend or something, just some stranger on the other end of an e-mail.

So, give yourself a hug and a pat, and a laugh about it, and keep on keepin on. O.K.?

Juls
Old 09-24-2003, 09:54 PM
  # 131 (permalink)  

Thanks, Juls

Thanks, Juls,

You are the bestestest!

Love you,
Nancy
Old 09-24-2003, 10:10 PM
  # 132 (permalink)  

Hey Nancy,

No problem. I'm usually up late, so if you ever need to talk, just pm me.

Juls
Old 09-25-2003, 06:18 PM
  # 133 (permalink)  

Nancy,

If I could count the mistakes and misunderstanding plus lame jokes I´ve made, I could be THE most successful stand-up comedian in the world.

I second Juls. Don´t worry. If people choose to be offended instead of tolerant, then it´s their problems, right?

I don´t know how this number 5 came out in Emily´s poems, Juls.

I´m now in bed with my laptop and now watchina again "The sixth sense". Scary... but calming for me. It´s slow and dreamy and makes you fall asleep...

Juls, I read somewhere you wanted to open your own business. Jewels?

Hey, girls, what about Ingmar Bergman?

Use adversity
Old 09-25-2003, 06:38 PM
  # 134 (permalink)  

Ingmar Bergman

Dear Lilya,

It has been such a busy week at work, with my evaluation going on, and my boss giving me homework til late a few times, and the kids football practice and soccer practice until I have had no time for myself except for e-mail. I refuse to give up e-mail for anything. WIll return to leisure this weekend. Ex has the boys. Oh the joys of the boys and the joys of no boys. Lately I have been feeling these rhymes and jokes come out. I think it is just the mania, but didn't I read somewhere that speaking in rhymes is a symptom of some other form of mental illeness? Probably just my usual anxiety looking for problems that aren't there, but kind of interesting for curiosities sake to see if yall are familiar with that idea. I don't take everything I read as gospel, of course. And of course, I like rhymes. And I like jokes. Why o why can't I just have a little fun!!!!!!!!without worrying>>????

Definitely time for the weekend. Thank God Tomorrow Is Friday. TGTIF.

LOL,
FAncy Nancy
Old 09-25-2003, 07:52 PM
  # 135 (permalink)  

Well,

I must be sicker than I thought. I am always making up little rhymes and ditties, frequently of a somewhat vulgar nature, and singing them to myself of my husband. LOL Not in front of my daughter of course.

Juls
Old 09-26-2003, 03:19 PM
  # 136 (permalink)  

I used to to that too when I was married! Singing lyrics to my husband. No wonder he looked for serenité in a cult.

I was working on a contract I'm drafting between two big organisations and a lawyer was helping me. He loves films, and in the contract there is an article on "Forces majeures", meaning when one or the other of the organisations goes bust, the contract is nul and void. It reminded me of one of my favorite movie "Cape Fear" by Martin Scorsese and is a remake of the French film "Forces majeures". It´s basically about this term and when Nick Nolte is fleeing with Jessica Lang to the houseboat with De Niro under the car, he explains to his boss this term. Then the confrontation on the housboat has deep, religious meaning.
Anyone seen it?

Use adversity
Old 09-26-2003, 04:05 PM
  # 137 (permalink)  

I saw it, but couldn't handle it. Wasn't that the movie where the guy eats of this womans' ear, or part of her face or something like that?

Juls
Old 09-26-2003, 05:37 PM
  # 138 (permalink)  

Folks...

I think I saw it. Cape Fear, I mean. It was good. I don't remember the ear scene. Guess I need to watch it again. I hate it when I can't remember stuff. Meanwhile, please fill me in.

Nancy
Old 09-26-2003, 05:40 PM
  # 139 (permalink)  

Yes, that´s the one. De Niro doesn´t bite her ear off, though, but a piece of her cheek. It´s ugly and I usually fastforward over that scene.

Otherwise, the interaction between Nick Nolte and De Niro is amazing; the lawyer and his former client who has a grudge against him for withoulding vital information to his case years and years ago. "I´ll teach you the meaning of commitment," De Niro tells him. "I am God and God is me."It´s about endurance and the battle between two different moral systems that are not so unlike.

I think it´s also quite funny. "I smoke, therefore I am" is a funny Descartes theory coined in this film. De Niro says: "I invented a vice in prison to remind me I´m human".

I know a group of priests who are movie freaks. They call themselves "Deus ex machina" and study religious symbols in all films since the beginning of movie making. I will meet them for a Radio interview in November. Very interesting.

I have never really understood all the symbols in Scorsese´s film, "Cape Fear", but I will ask the priests what they think it means.

Use adversity
Old 09-26-2003, 05:47 PM
  # 140 (permalink)  

re symbolism

Yes, an extensive study like that would be interesting. I truly love a good discusssion on symbolism, as it takes me back to the COfC days in lit class. I am reading "Moonlight, Madness and Magnolias" by Dr. Peter McCandless. Very detailed and rich history of mental illness and institutions thereof and asylums in South Carolina.

Have a good night. I am going to the MOJA arts festival street party on the Custom House steps. Last year I went with my ex-boyfriend, and it was fun. This year I am going with a lady from work. I am so honored that she asked me to go with her.

Enjoy the evening!
Nancy