# 141 (permalink)  

Symbolism,

You guys are way above me. LOL

Juls
Old 09-27-2003, 06:46 AM
  # 142 (permalink)  

not

Juls,

Much of symbolism is really subjective according to the readers' response, as you are allowed to have your own personal interpretation of literature and any art. I know that there is an accepted authoritative opinion and the author's intent, but don't let those standing realities hinder or block your creative, personal response. Go for it, open up, be free...

Love you,
Nancy
Old 09-27-2003, 12:30 PM
  # 143 (permalink)  

I´m back from a difficult meeting with a preacher´s wife and I felt a bit like De Niro himself in that movie. But now I´m quite calm and I will be on the SOS hotline tonight.

I wanted to say something about symbolism. I love it, and it has given me much on the road to recovery, which is of course ongoing. I love the poems by the French poet Charles Baudelaire and then the English poet William Blake. True, they drank absinthe, which is the LSD of our ancesters, but I believe in their case, Carl Jung´s theory on "spirit versur spiritus" says it all.

I´ll send you a poem to illustrate:

Correspondances
La Nature est un temple où de vivants piliers
Laissent parfois sortir de confuses paroles;
L’homme y passe Ã* travers des forêts de symboles
Qui l’observent avec des regards familiers.

Comme de longs échos qui de loin se confondent
Dans une ténébreuse et profonde unité,
Vaste comme la nuit et comme la clarté,
Les parfums, les couleurs et les sons se répondent.

Il est des parfums frais comme des chairs d’enfants,
Doux comme les hautbois, verts comme les prairies,
— Et d’autres, corrompus, riches et triomphants,

Ayant l’expansion des choses infinies,
Comme l’ambre, le musc, le benjoin et l’encens,
Qui chantent les transports de l’esprit et des sens.

Baudelaire, Les fleurs du mal__ IV

_

_

Use adversity
Old 09-27-2003, 12:42 PM
  # 144 (permalink)  

Translation of Correspondance from "The flower of Evil"

Nature is a temple where the living pillars
Let go sometimes a blurred speech—
A Forest of symbols passes through a man's reach
And observes him with a familiar regard.

Like the distant echoes that mingle and confound
In a unity of darkness and quiet
Deep as the night, clear as daylight
The perfumes, the colors, the sounds correspond.

The perfume is as fresh as the flesh of an infant
Sweet as an oboe, green as a prairie
—And the others, corrupt, rich and triumphant

Enlightened by the things of infinity,
Like amber, musk, benzoin and incense
That sing, transporting the soul and sense.

I hope this will be of inspiration to you for the evening.

Use adversity
Old 09-27-2003, 03:22 PM
  # 145 (permalink)  

Lilya,

Great poem, thanks. I like symbolism too, but when it comes to some movies, I'm watching them only for entertainment purposes. Others though do speak to me in symbols.

Once when I was having one of "breakdowns" it seemed the only thing I could do or concentrate on was drawing Mandalas. I did dozens of them over the period of time that I was in that state.

They helped me very much to go inside myself to heal myself, yet also took me out of myself, so that at least while I was working on them I felt a sense of calmness, and not anxiety.

I enjoyed studying Jung in college, and for awhile I worked with a Jungian therapist.

Juls
Old 09-27-2003, 05:37 PM
  # 146 (permalink)  

Juls,

I love mandalas! It´s great for creating inner peace. I have never drawed them myself.

On Dalai Lama´s birthday in July, I usually go to his birthday feast at his temple in Vincennes forest. They draw mandalas and make statues and sculptures out of butter which melts in the sun, but it´s to remind us that everything has it´s time and that we should live in the here and now.

I like Jung´s contribution to the twelve step programs. "Spirit versus spiritus" I like a lot. For me, it basically means we transform the destructive energy to a constructive one by the help of the inner wisdom and Higher power.

Guess what. I´m watching "Cape Fear", since I´ve finished my SOS suicide shift. It´s very hard to calm down from the conversations and movies do that for me. The film is so funny, I´ve been laughing my head off!

Use adversity
Old 09-28-2003, 05:47 AM
  # 147 (permalink)  

Hey yall

Hey yall,

It was nice to wake up and see that you are still out there!

Nancy

I think that if I go to the public library downtown today, they will be able to help me find some Ingmar Bergman movies. I really wanted to start collecting them, and own them, but I am too broke now.

Love,
Nancy
Old 09-28-2003, 02:32 PM
  # 148 (permalink)  

Nancy and other Bergman´s fans:

Check this out:

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0069467/sales

And have fun!

Use adversity
Old 09-28-2003, 02:35 PM
  # 149 (permalink)  

thanks!

Thanks for the idea, Lilya!

It looks like an exceptional movie. I bookmarked it in my favorites, so I can buy it when I have the money. TIme is about up, so I am heading out to the library!

Love,
Nancy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
665.jpg (2.6 KB, 969 views)
Old 09-28-2003, 03:12 PM
  # 150 (permalink)  

Nancy,

You may also want to check on Ebay, when you have a little money to spare to buy a movie.

I've picked up quite a few that I wanted, for some pretty decent prices, and I've never had any problems with any of them.

Juls
Old 09-28-2003, 05:37 PM
  # 151 (permalink)  

Good idea!

Juls, have you noticed we have 980 views in our movie club?

Silent readers, come out and participate! Use the healing power of movies and poems and share! You are so very welcome. I´m running out of movies to talk about (well, not really, but we need you):p

Use adversity
Old 09-28-2003, 06:08 PM
  # 152 (permalink)  

I did notice that Lilya. I'd like to hear from other also.

Juls
Old 09-28-2003, 11:57 PM
  # 153 (permalink)  

Tonight ET was on t.v., the 20th anniversary release. I was watching it with my daughter when I realized that it was 20 years ago that I saw it in the theatres with my son, and he was exactly the same age.

That 20 years seems to have flown by. I definitely felt a sense of Dejavu. LOL

Juls
Old 09-29-2003, 03:25 AM
  # 154 (permalink)  

speaking of et

Speaking of ET,

I am amazed at how beautiful Drew Barrymore has become. She is one of the few contemporary actresses, I think, who really looks like a glamour gal from the glamour era, don't you think?
ET is one that I think is a must for the home collection. It is one of the first movies my oldest child, Connie, 24, and I saw together. That and Bambi and Annie, which of course was also a broadway play.

980 viewers? Where do you see that? I still don't read everything on the board. Interesting you should mention that, as I was just talking to a friend about overcoming social anxiety. What a plunge.

Love,
Nancy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
668.jpg (2.1 KB, 1006 views)
Old 09-29-2003, 12:45 PM
  # 155 (permalink)  

Nancy,

On the main page of the D/BP forum next to each thread it shows the number of views that that thread has received.

Juls
Old 09-29-2003, 02:05 PM
  # 156 (permalink)  

And we´re getting close to 1000 views. Not bad, no?

ET is a wonderful movie. Full of religious symbols, actually, and I will be interviewing the priests in Deus Ex Machina about it. It´s about the resurrection. I remember seeing Spielberg in Actors Studio we have on French TV, and he was talking about that. Do you have Actors Studio on US TV?

The guy who asks the questions, I don´t remember his name, asks each actor the famous questions from a cultural show in Paris. I remember Spielberg was asked what job he would not want to do, and he answered: "A toll bouth attendant." Many other actors and directors answer the same. It must be a terrible job in America?

I´m going to find the questions and ask all of you to answer them. It´s a fun game.

Anyway, enjoy Spielberg. He´s a genious.

And Nancy, Drew Barrymore is truly beautiful. I think the most beautiful actress in America is Susan Sarandon.

Use adversity
Old 09-29-2003, 03:16 PM
  # 157 (permalink)  

Lilya,

I think we have the same show here in the U.S., because there is a program called Actor's Studio where they interview actors, directors, etc. I alway thought being a toll booth operator would be a good job for a lazy person since all you do is sit in a chair and collect the money. LOL However, I would not like to do it.

I agree that Susan Sarandon is beautiful, also Meryl Streep. I don't really care much for some of the mainstream actresses such as Meg Ryan, and that other one that reminds me of her, I can't think of the name.

I like Jamie Leigh Curtis, and dam, I can picture the faces but not the names. I loved Selma Hayek in Frida. I had studied Frida's life and art when I was young, and I so glad to see a movie made about her. I like Renee Zelweiger, but Julia Roberts gets on my nerves for some reason, although I have watched her movies.

Juls
Old 09-29-2003, 05:27 PM
  # 158 (permalink)  

Frida Kahlo was a magnificient woman!

I saw a great exhibition in Paris in´98 on her work and Diego Rivera. My dad was a great admirer of the frescomakers in South America and went there for a while to learn from them. But I really love Frida´s paintings.

I agree with you Juls, that Meryl Streep is beautiful. She is truly amazing in "The Hours". So is Nicole Kidman. Julia Roberts has grown from the annoying little woman into a good actress, like in "Erin Brockowitch". Gwyneth Paltrow goes on my nerves and in particular Meg Ryan. I like Helen Hunt in "As Good as it gets" and the Australian actress Kate Winslet. Did you see "Heavenly Creatures"?

The most beautiful French actress to me is Catherine Deneuve, maybe because I used to meet her so often with Dad and his friends. She was fascinating to watch "in life" (LOL) Emmanuelle Saigner is weird, but was not too bad in "Frantic" with Harrison Ford. I like Isabelle Huppert as well.

Do we have a 1000 views yet?

Use adversity
Old 09-29-2003, 06:18 PM
  # 159 (permalink)  

Dear movie club

Hello Juls and Lilya and all,

I feel like a hypocrite since mostly all I do lately is work and clean house and answer e-mail and then am too tired to watch tv. But I will comment on a few things y'all said. First of all, don't you dare talk about Meg Ryan that way! The scene from "Courage Under Fire," in which, by the way, I just love Denzel Washington also, where she starts to cry and says something like "Damn tears! It's just the stress/tension that's all. It's just the nerves/tension." I do the same thing when I get under stress -- and I hate it, too. I loved her for being so human and showing that true bravery is being scared or weak in the sense of being human and feeling, but also going ahead and doing your duty anyway. She showed how beautiful duty is in that movie. And I think she reminds you of Goldie Hawn maybe? And both are beautiful, talented girls. I agree that Susan Sarandon is an outstandingly beautiful lady. She has such huge eyes that you just get lost in them. I guess I have been in recovery too long -- I just don't see what's not to love about anybody anymore! Ha!Ha!
Ah, but I don't like reality shows. They make me grumpy. Which reminds me -- I love Grumpy Old Men and Grumpy Old Men II, but I think I said that awhile back. Let's face it, ladies, the main reason some of these actresses might get on the nerves is, well, they are so beautiful it might bring out the green eyed-monster, do you think? The green eyed-monster was the nail in the coffin of my last two relationships. I think I will try to let it rest in that coffin, too. We'll see.
Jamie Lee Curtis is amazing. She is very talented. I keep meaning to see that latest one with her and the kid, but I haven't yet. I bet it would be funny.
WEll, good night.

Love,
Nancy
Old 09-29-2003, 06:20 PM
  # 160 (permalink)  

Dear movie club

Hello Juls and Lilya and all,

I feel like a hypocrite since mostly all I do lately is work and clean house and answer e-mail and then am too tired to watch tv. But I will comment on a few things y'all said. First of all, don't you dare talk about Meg Ryan that way! The scene from "Courage Under Fire," in which, by the way, I just love Denzel Washington also, where she starts to cry and says something like "Damn tears! It's just the stress/tension that's all. It's just the nerves/tension." I do the same thing when I get under stress -- and I hate it, too. I loved her for being so human and showing that true bravery is being scared or weak in the sense of being human and feeling, but also going ahead and doing your duty anyway. She showed how beautiful duty is in that movie. And I think she reminds you of Goldie Hawn maybe? And both are beautiful, talented girls. I agree that Susan Sarandon is an outstandingly beautiful lady. She has such huge eyes that you just get lost in them. I guess I have been in recovery too long -- I just don't see what's not to love about anybody anymore! Ha!Ha!
Oh, but I don't like reality shows. They make me grumpy. Which reminds me -- I love Grumpy Old Men and Grumpy Old Men II, but I think I said that awhile back. Let's face it, ladies, the main reason some of these actresses might get on the nerves is, well, they are so beautiful it might bring out the green eyed-monster, do you think? The green eyed-monster was the nail in the coffin of my last two relationships. I think I will try to let it rest in that coffin, too. We'll see.
Jamie Lee Curtis is amazing. She is very talented. I keep meaning to see that latest one with her and the kid, but I haven't yet. I bet it would be funny.
WEll, good night.

Love,
Nancy