Notices

Movie Club against depression

Old 10-03-2003, 05:38 PM
  # 181 (permalink)  

Nancy and all,

I liked Roman Polanski´s "Tess" as well. It was his version of Thomas Hary´s story and it took Polanski years to fulfill his dream and make it. I like Hardy´s work in general, in particular "Far from the Madding Crowd" and "Jude the Obscure". But not the film. Talk about depression!

As for now, I´m going to watch "Being John Malkovitch" LOL.

Use adversity
Old 10-04-2003, 04:30 AM
  # 182 (permalink)  

On a lighter note

Last night I actually watched a movie!

Hurray for me! I watched tv! I allowed myself to veg for awhile. I watched "Josie and the Pussycats" on Superstation, and it was just what the doctor ordered to be such a not real, far from real-life, escape.

Later,
NAncy
Old 10-04-2003, 03:57 PM
  # 183 (permalink)  

Way to go, Nancy!

I´m exhausted after this week and have been working fulltime today on my novel. Then I went out for coffee with a friend and then to dinner with some of my family - I´m taking care of my five year old niece - and now it´s night in Paris. I don´t know what to watch at the moment to help me fall asleep. A good horror movie would be welcome.

Use adversity
Old 10-04-2003, 04:33 PM
  # 184 (permalink)  

Hey Nancy,

I saw that that movie was on too, but I was watching something else on the discovery channel. I don't know why, but for some reason that seems surprising to me, that you'd be in Charleston, SC, and have the same programming as San Jose, CA.

Juls

Juls
Old 10-04-2003, 04:57 PM
  # 185 (permalink)  

I´ve never seen this movie. I wish I had access to American TV. I only have BBC world.

I´m watching "Hannibal" and getting more into the beast versus man or Beauty and the Beast. I kind of like this movie, although I miss Jodie Foster. Anthony Hopkins is wonderful as always. He´s a textbook exemple of late blooming. The man didn´t have any charm before fifty but now he´s glowing with life and attraction.

Use adversity
Old 10-04-2003, 06:32 PM
  # 186 (permalink)  

Lilya,

Do you know about "Red Dragon?"

Juls
Old 10-05-2003, 04:04 AM
  # 187 (permalink)  

Good morning

Good morning,

Here it is Sunday morning, and I should be sleeping late, yet my biorhythms wake me at 6:00, since I normally wake up at that time for work. That's ok, though, we take what sleep we need, I think. Lilya, you tickle me watching horror movies to fall asleep. I wish I had your guts. I used to watch semi-scary stuff when I was young like "Dark Shadows" and the old, classic vampire movies and Frankenstein and stuff, the old black and white versions, and some Alfred Hitchcock, and Betty Grable in "Sorry, Wrong Number" and "Hush, Hush, Sweet Charlotte." My sister and I would watch those together.

But I had to give up horror movies, as "The Exorcist," which I would really classify more as something other than horror, but it left me unable to sleep well for a week, as did "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre" affected me so adversely -- (I know, 'Use adversity!') They may have triggered something, I don't know. But I just had a bad reaction. These were my first two introductions to horror, and I did not like them at all. So I was never interested in horror after that. And I know how to say no to things I don't enjoy -- like I am afraid of heights, so I won't ride the double ferris wheel, etc). I would not even watch "Silence of the Lambs" until my boyfriend wanted to watch it with me. It was ok, and yes, the acting was great, but it is not my cup of tea at all, except for the whodunnit angle sometimes will pull me in -- for the mental exercise. Or the curiosity factor.
What is everyone raving about? kind of thing.

Hope I get to watch a movie sometime today.

Love,
Nancy
Old 10-05-2003, 05:35 AM
  # 188 (permalink)  

one more thought about horror movies

Oh yeah, one more thought about horror movies and their appeal or the lack of it,

I can see where there is a draw toward the adrenaline rush of the fear. Not that one needs to analyze one's tastes, but this part of it intrigues me, as I am just beginning to form some understanding of it.

LOL,
NAncy
Old 10-05-2003, 07:17 AM
  # 189 (permalink)  

Nancy,
I think you´re right about the adrenaline rush and horror movies. Funny though that the horror lulls me to sleep. Probably yet another sigh of my weirdness. My brother is like that, and he likes to fall asleep under "The Exorcist" and "Silence of the Lambs". Claims he sleeps better, and I think so too.

I think it comes from our dysfunctional family and it´s some kind of outlet for old frustrations. I sleep incredibly heavily after watching horrors.

There is a myth in Europe somewhere, that women are in particular drawn to horromovies because of their experience with blood and pain, the menstruations and childbirth. What do you think?

Juls,
Yes, I own all three movies about Hannibal the Cannibal. "Red Dragon" I liked very much. It´s more fantacy and adventure than horror. "Silence of the Lambs" was the masterpiece, in my opinion. "Hannibal" I liked because it happens in Florence, which is one of my favorite cities and the shots of the city reminds me of the Italian neo-realism, "Roma, citta aperta" and "The Bicycle thief".

Use adversity
Old 10-05-2003, 07:22 AM
  # 190 (permalink)  

Dear Lilya and all

I think you are right about the European myth. Speaking of Europe, I was browsing MSNBC news and looking at some old National Geographic photos and ran across one of a father and son motoring in Wales. The theme was the hedges that ran along the sides of the streets. Interesting that I have always had an affinity for hedges. The stuff of our past does dwell in us today somehow, I think.

Love,
NAncy
Old 10-05-2003, 09:44 AM
  # 191 (permalink)  

Yes, many of you in the US must have European ancestors. Were your´s Welsh? Can you trace it back a bit?
My grandfather went to America around 1909 as a young man to work on railroads in Canada. He thought he would come home a rich man, but came only with 25 cents in his pocket after five years of railroadmaking. I have a friend whose father went to look for gold in the old West!

Use adversity
Old 10-05-2003, 11:27 AM
  # 192 (permalink)  

My great-grandfather came from Ireland out West, and he did strike it rich, and had many adventures. He was very handsome. I have a picture of him when he was fighting the Spanish American war in the Phillipines. He was a cartographer, and I have a hand drawn map of his of the Phillipines that dates back about 200 years.

He came to California, to San Francisco, and staked a claim in a little town, which probably wasn't even a town. We still own the property. He struck a decent vein and started making enough money to buy a 5,000 acre cattle ranch. He would herd his cattle between Monterey, Ca. and Nevada.

Since women were pretty scarce in those days in SF, he sent for a mail order bride from Chile. They had three children together. I am named for my great, and my grandmother.

In 1906, when my father was six, The mansion they lived in burned to the ground, along with many others during the earthquake. At some point the depression hit, and they went from being a fairly wealth family to pretty much being poor.

It's all a very interesting story, and I have tons of written documents, letters, etc, that talk about all this. If I knew anything about writing, I would write a book about it.

Juls
Old 10-05-2003, 12:25 PM
  # 193 (permalink)  

What an interesting family history, Juls!

So you´re an Irish lass. Your great-grandfather must have been awesom. What a spirit and determination to make a life for himself. I admire all self-made people and pioneers. You must be very proud of him. A cartographer, and fighting the Spanish too, vow.

Then he gets the Chilean bride by mail order and they build up an Irish/Chilean family together. This has all the makings of a big best-seller and a film. You should maybe talk to someone good who could write your great-grandfather´s story. This would be interesting, not only for American history, but for on a worldwide scale as well.

It reminds me of Isabelle Allende´s "The House of the Spirits", but far more interesting. I´ll ask my editor who is the best biography writer in America if you´d like. Protect those letters! You´ve got gold, girl.

Use adversity
Old 10-05-2003, 01:15 PM
  # 194 (permalink)  

Thanks Lilya,

I've always thought that this would make a great book. I've thought of having what they call a Ghostwriter work with me, but it has to be someone who can really tell the story, who is willing to do the research, read all the letters and documents, etc. If it weren't for my mother, I wouldn't know any of this. When my father died, his attorney had been holding all these documents for him (he was a crook and robbed my father of a great deal of money by taking advantage of the fact the was an alcoholic). He contacted my mother and asked if she wanted them.

She spent a few years reading and research my father's history. Alot of the letters, which are written in very flowery hand, she typed up, there are old photograhs, and I even have a few heirlooms. One is a 200 year old shawl that my grandmother brought with her from Chile. She was raised up in a well-to-do home, and this shawl is made of very fine, delicate black lace, which was hand done by young girls in a convent school.

Juls
Old 10-05-2003, 02:08 PM
  # 195 (permalink)  

I´m not surprised about the attourney. Had similar history with my father´s lawyers and art dealers. But you go for it, Juls! I really hope you do this. Too many people don´t have the strenght to make something out of treasures like these. I´m very serious about this. It could also be a fabulous opportunity for you to restructure the past, so to speak. It´s a brave step in self-knowledge - knowing who we are and where we came from - and can be a very healing process.

I can trace my family history back to the year 900. I´m descended from some King in Norway, King Harold something, - LOL - and some very crazy French from the Pyranées. Seems I had aristocrats on one side and the brave mob who freed the country from it´s debauchery, the women who stormed the Bastille on the other side...

Use adversity
Old 10-06-2003, 02:19 PM
  # 196 (permalink)  

I agree with Lilya, Juls,
You have a gem of a story. (no pun intended ) and writing is so healing even if no one else sees the writing. I wrote 13 chapters (a combination of fact and fiction) about my grandmother and it gave me such a sense of clarity. It really helped. It's work, hard work, but worth it.
MB
Old 10-06-2003, 04:30 PM
  # 197 (permalink)  

13 Chapter? That's alot Mamabear. Have you taken writing classes, or you just went with the feel of it.

Juls
Old 10-06-2003, 04:35 PM
  # 198 (permalink)  

Good for you, Mamabear!

Did you publish?

I was going to tell you Juls, that to get a deal like this going, you need a good publishing house like Random House, I believe the name is. You would sign a three-sided contract and the publishing house would pay your ghostwriter advance fee, so he or she could start researching. But make sure you´re signed as an author or co-author.

Any films tonight? I´m still watching Anthony Hopkins in his Hannibal role.

Use adversity
Old 10-08-2003, 01:38 AM
  # 199 (permalink)  

I just finished watching Sophie's Choice on t.v. It was on the American Classics channel. I saw the movie when it first came out, and it is very good.

So many different elements in one film, Unrequitted love, drugs, madness, survival, sorrow, despair, suicide.

I forget who plays opposite Meryl Streep, but she acted the role out perfectly. And the young man too.

Juls
Old 10-08-2003, 03:53 AM
  # 200 (permalink)  

Re: ancestors

Hey folks!

Great to see you all are talking lively about your ancestors. One of my favorite subjects. Yes, Daddy was from Wales and Mama was from France. And I think there is some Cherokee sprinkled in somewhere. I am trying to find the time to delve in and read more. Got some history from a late Aunt who passed away this past year. She was the last sibling from Daddy's generation -- they are all on the other side now.

I went to the library, and I ended up taking care of everyone but me again! oops! I was trying to hurry, as they were closing, and Ben and Sam had homework, so I got an audio tape of Lois Lowry's The Giver for a teacher, which btw is an excellent book that transcends age or time, and the kids got something. I got nothing. Boo hoo! Must return and get and Ingmar Bergman !@#$%%^& it! See, I do have that Welsh in me. Ha Ha!

Will keep you posted on my boring daily life! Ha Ha again!
You guys keep me going every day. Thanks so much.

Love,
Nancy