Thread: "Today's Hope"
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2016, 06:30 AM
  # 138 (permalink)  
honeypig

April 2

This is posted from the "Today's Hope" site of Alanon.

DAILY SLOGAN/SAYING:
Resistance creates suffering. Stress happens when your mind resists what is. The only problem in your life is your mind's resistance to life as it unfolds.
- Dan Millman

DAILY REFLECTION:
The First Step

The first time I went to Al-Anon, I was not ready to hear the hope of recovery. I still wanted to control the alcoholic and thought that by learning more about the disease of alcoholism, I could have that control. So I went to six meetings, hoping to hear how I could fix him. When I was never told how to do that, I did not go back to the seventh meeting. I was confused.

I remember hearing about detaching with love. I could detach, but with resentment and conditions. I was more and more feeling out of control. I remembered the laughter and peace I felt with the Al-Anon group. So, I returned to find out how someone could have such peace and serenity.

I was ready to listen.

I realized my life had become unmanageable and broken and I needed to work on me. I finally started to let go. I now have a relationship with a Higher Power that I trust and one that does not judge, to which I can bring my fear and confusion.

I am no longer alone and I am learning peace and serenity one day at a time. I still have days where I awaken feeling less than, and I struggle, but I have a group I can go to and feel their strength and know I am enough. I have a sponsor and other members I can call.

I feel blessed to have found this fellowship of AFG.

Daily share from the forum can be found here: Today's Sharing - Today's Hope