Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Archives > The Best of SoberRecovery
Reload this Page >

Whiners Anonymous Part 307 "We'll Whine Again" - Remembering Ann

Whiners Anonymous Part 307 "We'll Whine Again" - Remembering Ann

Old 02-03-2022, 04:52 PM
  # 341 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Pondy, that's hilarious! lol

Fed Billie and took her out. She peed right away then wanted to go back in the house but I said, nothin' doin', we're not going in til you poop! She finally did and we went in. The darn snow is still coming down and the street looks horrible. I wonder how much more snow we'll get until it (supposedly) stops early Friday.

I like that picture of the table and the horse sticking his head in the door.
Old 02-03-2022, 05:01 PM
  # 342 (permalink)  

Prayers for Riley.
Much of the north of South Australia is underwater after massive storms...a years rainfall in an hour. It is the peak of summer, temps are set to climb high again. Hot weather +stagnant flood water= disease- inluding terrible mosquito carrier ones like encephalitis and Ross River virus. The main highway is underwater , trucks sit idle or take a 3000k detour. The army are flying in food to places like Coober Pedy.
Adelaide missed the '1 in 200y' storms. All pretty quiet here with most people following COVID restrictions, but there is a growing furor over increasing deaths in nursing homes, along with slow vaccine roll outs and the issues of staffing- and attrition rates....elections this year...no comments on that, but stuff gets raised. The straightish lines are roads...all the area covered by water- is pastoral land, some of it goes for decades without rain.
Old 02-03-2022, 05:09 PM
  # 343 (permalink)  

Got back from the Vet, the drive was very slow and slippery. As for Riley, thanks all for your thoughts. I had him rest all day and he seemed better by the time I got him there. He was still weaker then his new norm in his back legs but has started to wag his tail again and will now sit and is moving around. The vet thinks he may have slightly injured another disk in his back but since he is slowly improving she thinks 4 weeks of strict rest..only going outside for potty business, no walks, no stairs will help him. She also put him on pain medication and medication for swelling. He seems like he is feeling much better. This morning he was barely moving which is not his norm at all. Thanks for coming with me.
As for black ice..I have driven on it several times..Wow talk about no fun.
In Colorado we would often get Gropal in the summers up in the mountains.
Old 02-03-2022, 05:14 PM
  # 344 (permalink)  

I hope Riley heals without incident Alpine.
Old 02-03-2022, 05:17 PM
  # 345 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Oh my gosh PJ! That's awful. To get that much rain all at once. Prayers for those affected by the flooding.

Alpine, I'm glad you got to the vet without an accident. Glad Riley seems to be improving. I hope the strict rest and the meds help him heal. Poor little dear.
Old 02-03-2022, 05:46 PM
  # 346 (permalink)  

Can't make out if that's a sort of large pie in the picture or a shepherd's pie.
Old 02-03-2022, 05:58 PM
  # 347 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

PJ - I didn't know about those floods - how terrible.

Alpine - What a relief that Riley will likely improve after a good rest.

Chic - That is a lovely picture of the horse getting a treat, & the sweet face on the woman with dog's head resting on her lap.

Bekind - You had a productive day, especially the phone call with Dad & Sis.

Pondy - That was an lol moment for sure.
So was Miss E cranky when she got home? Hopefully she did eat some CEREAL.

Still just freezing rain here, but we might get hit over night.
Old 02-03-2022, 05:59 PM
  # 348 (permalink)  

PJ, that looks like a bad flood event. Prayer for those affected. With such flash flooding in a typically dry area, I wonder if there will be issues with erosion? I hope not.

Alpine, I hope Riley is better with some more easy time.

Pondlady, that's funny.

Not sure if I've seen graupel.
Old 02-03-2022, 06:36 PM
  # 349 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Hit my right thumbnail today, just the wrong way, and tore off a piece of it. Now my thumb hurts like the dickens. Put a bandaid on it with some antibiotic ointment. Hope it feels better tomorrow. It really hurts. Funny how a little sore place on a finger or thumb hurts so much.

Pondy, my phone sometimes changes the words I say to other similar sounding words. I have to speak very slowly and distinctly or it makes mistakes.
Old 02-03-2022, 08:03 PM
  # 350 (permalink)  

Least, sometimes ice packs on fingers helps.
We have a lot of sensory stuff in our fingers, which makes sense, as we use touch a lot, but injuries hurt.
My hands get really dry in winter, despite myriad applications of lotion.
Cannabis salve helps.I get it at my hair salon.
Glad Riley is feeling better.
Dee, I wish the weather wasn’t so. We had 18 inches of snow last weekend, and we are now expecting rain, possibly sleet, and icy roads in the am.
I don’t have anywhere to be, thank goodness, but Mr. M. delivers meals on wheels on Friday. He can take the SUV, which is sturdier.
But…it needs gas. I should have gassed up today as I was running errands after work. Slipped my mind completely.
There was a weather forecaster on the local tv when we lived in PA. He always said to have a full tank of gas before a storm, cuz you never know.
Good advice.
Old 02-03-2022, 08:08 PM
  # 351 (permalink)  

PJ, Flooding!
Sorry.
Here in New England, we are seeing stronger winter storms as the ocean warms.
True in a lot of other places as well.
The earth is getting warmer, yeah?
Old 02-03-2022, 08:24 PM
  # 352 (permalink)  

Wow PJ. Thanks for the photo. Now I need to look up a map of Australia to see where this is. Are you or Dee anywhere near?
Old 02-03-2022, 08:40 PM
  # 353 (permalink)  

PJ, I belatedly realized you are in Adelaide. I take it the floods are North of you. It sounds like the west is flooding too?
Old 02-03-2022, 08:42 PM
  # 354 (permalink)  
Administrator

Nowhere near me BeKind. I live in Queensland

D
Old 02-03-2022, 09:11 PM
  # 355 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Just went out, for about the 5th or 6th time today, to sweep the front porch and steps and Billie's little potty area. We must have gotten at least 6 inches of snow today, probably more. The street in front of my house looks awful, snow covered and slick. I don't know if it's supposed to snow more tonight or not. The forecast said the snow would stop Friday morning around 7.

When I just went out back to fill the strays' food dish I noticed that my parking spot had been shoveled out. There was also a path to my back door that had been cleared. I suspected my neighbor in back and texted him to ask if he had done that. He said, yes, our next door neighbor had lent him their snowblower.

I hope like hell that I don't have to move from here. I have such good neighbors and always have. (not counting the fentanyl dealer who lived next door for a few years) Asking for prayers that I don't have to move.

The snow has stopped for now. Hope it's done for the night. I do NOT want to wake up and have to sweep out Billie's potty area again!
Old 02-03-2022, 09:15 PM
  # 356 (permalink)  
Magsie

Alpine, so so pleased and relieved Riley was feeling a bit better when you got to the vets (safely, phew, awful driving in such weather conditions). He’s a trooper that’s for sure. Hope you get a good restful quality hours sleep.

PJ, crikey that’s some flooding. Be safe!

Our news actually showed the bad weather in US. Be safe all Whinys.

Least , ouch! Hope your thumb pain soon calms down.

Maudcat, yes that’s what I think, global warming or such. Breaks my heart when they show the polar bears on ever shrinking ice. Good on Mr. M delivering meals on wheels.

Love and hugs dear Whinys xxxx
Old 02-03-2022, 11:33 PM
  # 357 (permalink)  

The flooding missed Adelaide, North/E/W. The problem being the water takes a longtime to recede...one area it drains to is Lake Eyre. A salt pan, the largest in the world, I checked- making up 17% of Australia's landmass. Only filling up measured in years/decades....birds, god knows how they know, fly vast distances to breed in this very temporary oasis.
asis .
Old 02-04-2022, 01:00 AM
  # 358 (permalink)  
Magsie

I’m sure you mentioned this lake a few years ago PJ. It had dried up or am I mistaken.
Old 02-04-2022, 01:54 AM
  # 359 (permalink)  

It is usually dry. Apols about repeating .
Old 02-04-2022, 02:33 AM
  # 360 (permalink)  

That's fascinating. Image appears a little blurry after being copied.