Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Archives > The Best of SoberRecovery
Reload this Page >

Whiners Anonymous Part 307 "We'll Whine Again" - Remembering Ann

Whiners Anonymous Part 307 "We'll Whine Again" - Remembering Ann

Old 02-03-2022, 04:58 AM
  # 281 (permalink)  

We were heading back to CO from NY when in Nebraska we let him out to go potty, he got a thorn in his paw so we rolled him over and he yelped. We did not think too much about it until he began to get weaker and weaker in his back legs while we were driving. We tried to get home as fast as possible and found a hospital to take him to. He had an injured disk and at that point had not motor function left in his back legs. Luckily the hospital we chose had a neurosurgeon so she did surgey. We had to keep him pretty much immobile for the first 2 weeks except for going outside. We had to use a harness to hold his back side up. Well, one week later (I slept by him ) he woke up yelping and screaming and had a lot of drainage from his eye and back to the hospital we went. He had a complete tear of his cornea and retina.
It took him about 6 weeks to walk again, he is still a little unstable. I think he strained his back and that is why he is not feeling well. Last night he would not sit if I asked him to and he kind of whimpered when I picked him up. He is still not his normal self this morning but seems a little bit better. Sorry for the long reply.

Riley had therapy for a while and I continued it as well. It took him a good month to be able to walk a very short distance. We had to have yoga mats and small pieces of carpet in our house for him to be able to
Old 02-03-2022, 05:36 AM
  # 282 (permalink)  

Poor Riley. I hope he is out porpoising in the snow again in no time.
Old 02-03-2022, 05:51 AM
  # 283 (permalink)  

wow, I didn't finish what I was saying, Mr. Alpine called and I got distracted. We needed the mats for Riley to have stability since we have wood floors. His back end still gives out if he runs on to a 'slippery " surface.
Old 02-03-2022, 06:38 AM
  # 284 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by chicory View Post
Maudcat, I am glad your momma doesn't have to be treated that way anymore. I hope his conscience kicks in and he says he is sorry before its too late. Your mommas life is probably much more peaceful now.

Alpine, is your riley still paralyzed ? Poor baby. what kind of dog is he?

least, I think that was horrid that they didn't wear masks! and after you asked them , too! Be careful if there is any ice tomorrow, when you take Billie out. I can't figure out how much we are going to get.

I think Ann's Celebration of Life should be whenever and how long any of us wish. I have no idea of how to throw a party- Just remembering our lovely Ann some more would help me. I have been struggling with sadness over her being gone. today, I saw a lady who for some reason, made me think of Ann. She had a kind face, and said something like ' I think I know you, you have such beautiful hair' and it brought me to tears. I think our Ann is going to be with us somehow, always, because she loves us. I don't think I'd ever seen that lady before. But I just chose to think of how loving and supportive Ann always was, and it was very strange that I felt Anns presence. Is that silly? I guess it might be, but I can share that here, and know that most of you know and love me for the wacky whiner that I am. Ann loved us all....

Suki, that was hilarious...
Of course it isn't silly darling chic

I know I have been quiet about this, and I hope you all won't be offended if I do not join in with the wake: I can't. I have to study. Saturday and Sundays are huge course days for me, and I am afraid there is no way I will be able to concentrate on school if I am here. My eyes are such a mess already, one more day of crying and I won't be able to see the screen.
Old 02-03-2022, 08:22 AM
  # 285 (permalink)  

I was able to find a vet for Riley, his legs are getting a little weaker. I am not sure if there is swelling there causing it. Blah
Old 02-03-2022, 08:31 AM
  # 286 (permalink)  

Alpine, I am sorry that poor little Riley has these struggles, but thankful that he is so loved and well cared for. I hope he makes a full recovery soon.

Suze, I have to work Saturday, too. I won't be on here for the whole weekend, and I hope no one thought I meant that. I just thought perhaps a little more time for talking and sharing. I don't know, I didn;t mean to suggest we haven't done enough- but there were so many fun things, pictures and stories about and by our Queenie.
Old 02-03-2022, 08:39 AM
  # 287 (permalink)  
Administrator

Alpine, I'm sorry to hear about Riley's struggles. I hope that the vet you found can help.

Suze, we all know that Ann would want you to study and do your course work. She would not want you to feel concerned if you don't participate, and in fact, I think bunny slippers might be used gently.
Old 02-03-2022, 08:46 AM
  # 288 (permalink)  

Old 02-03-2022, 08:49 AM
  # 289 (permalink)  

https://hosting.photobucket.com/albu...sRedCarFun.gif

Here is one of my favorites, of Ann and Bubba , off on their travels ( she would post this often when they were going somewhere special.
Old 02-03-2022, 08:59 AM
  # 290 (permalink)  

Chic honey.....you are lovely. No problems with anything.
And Anna ~ thank you.

I just did half of my coursework. Another quarter by tomorrow, and therefore I will now have time to be here on the weekend. s

...................freezing..........turning up furnace.....this is the first time since I moved to the US that I have experienced the icy rain....,holy moly............

And prayers for sweet Riley dog dear Alpine. xx ❤️
Old 02-03-2022, 09:09 AM
  # 291 (permalink)  

And I love that little cartoon chic..... Always ❤️

Old 02-03-2022, 09:18 AM
  # 292 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Woke up to a lot of snow. The streets look terrible. I'll stay in today, thank you.

Suze, don't feel bad. You've got to do your school work and crying will make it hard to do that.

Just made another cuppa.

I hope the vet can help Riley to get back the function in his back legs.
Old 02-03-2022, 09:23 AM
  # 293 (permalink)  

Why do your streets look terrible when it is snowing least? I always wonder.
Old 02-03-2022, 09:33 AM
  # 294 (permalink)  

Pup is not walking around much and just yelped when I tapped him on his butt lightly. Gosh I hope he did not injure his disk again.
Old 02-03-2022, 09:40 AM
  # 295 (permalink)  

Just dropping this in here for posterity, already posted in Weekenders a day or so ago:

For weather forecasts for an area, town, or suburb I use yr[dot]no/en - the Norwegian Meteorological Institute which provides weather forecasts for some 7 million places in the world.

You can search for the location you want.

I find them to be very accurate for my area.

Another good site is timeanddate[dot]com/weather/

Again, search for the location you want.

Old 02-03-2022, 09:50 AM
  # 296 (permalink)  

Alpine - I hope you can find out what's ailing your dog and that it can be fixed easily. Best wishes.
Old 02-03-2022, 10:04 AM
  # 297 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
Why do your streets look terrible when it is snowing least? I always wonder.
Terrible, as in, snowy, slippery, dangerous to drive on. They don't look so bad now since the cars have made a wet path on both sides of the street. But when I got up, the street was very snowy and hazardous looking.

Alpine, I hope Riley's problem can be fixed with a vet visit.
Old 02-03-2022, 10:13 AM
  # 298 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Maud - How truly awful of him. It must somehow make him feel good - or powerful. I'm so glad she has you.

Alpine - Hoping Riley will improve - glad you found a vet.

BJ - What would we do without you popping in with your unique take on things?

Cityboy - Oh, please - not curling - MrH claims to be a fan. How is this possible?

chic - I always loved that one.
I plan to post a few thoughts - probably more than once, since memories of things we talked about keep popping into my head. Your idea was lovely - and also helpful to our grieving.

Big snow & ice storm still headed at us.
Old 02-03-2022, 10:45 AM
  # 299 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

We got the forecasted freezing rain, sleet, and snow overnight. Most things are closed today and tomorrow due to hazardous travel conditions. Thankfully, this time, my power has stayed on so far. Snow days are so much nicer when you have heat in your home.

I let Riley outside when we got up. He walked out onto the snow covered deck, barked once, then turned around and came back inside.
Old 02-03-2022, 10:46 AM
  # 300 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Caramel View Post
Just dropping this in here for posterity, already posted in Weekenders a day or so ago:

For weather forecasts for an area, town, or suburb I use yr[dot]no/en - the Norwegian Meteorological Institute which provides weather forecasts for some 7 million places in the world.

You can search for the location you want.

I find them to be very accurate for my area.

Another good site is timeanddate[dot]com/weather/

Again, search for the location you want.

Thank you so much Caramel

I always use Time and Date, but I did not realise they had detailed weather forecasts. Awesome. Very very handy. s xx