Notices

Sleepie's Summer Support Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 08:37 AM
  # 121 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by zjw View Post
REALLY? i felt totally fine tho otherwise. never happens while i run its like after when i get inside and such.

rarely happens tho. When i first started running it was pretty common to finish a run and for like 4 hours or so after wards i might have to bundle up. when i read about it i read it was common IE they might give marathon runnres blankets at the end of a race for simlier reasons etc...
Shivering in itself CAN be a sign of heatstroke but it can also be a sign of other things too - some people's bodies regulate heat differently than others, just like you mention. There are a lot more serious signs of heatstroke that you'd normally see in conjunction with the shivering - Nausea & Vomiting, headaches, stopping of perspiration, extreme tiredness, even unconsiousness.
Old 07-22-2016, 08:41 AM
  # 122 (permalink)  

I would not play around. I would think that running in 90 degree weather and feeing cold is probably going to lean more in the direction of heat sickness.

You do want to avoid heat stroke as it can cause permanent damage.

Look at it this way zjw- you may have to take it easy in the hotter months, but better that than having a long recovery from heat stroke and that affecting your exercise. I am still having issues from back when I was sick from the heat 4 entire years ago.
Old 07-22-2016, 08:44 AM
  # 123 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by sleepie View Post
I would not play around. I would think that running in 90 degree weather and feeing cold is probably going to lean more in the direction of heat sickness.

None of us are doctors here Sleepie. Plenty of people participate in outdoor activities in hot weather and if they stay hydrated things are just fine. ZJW has a lot of experience with running and most likely knows his body well. Let's not make assumptions based on our own experiences or articles on the internet.
Old 07-22-2016, 08:46 AM
  # 124 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

I won't even go for my daily walk in this type of heat, let alone running. Sleepie is right, heat stroke is nothing to mess with. My favorite uncle died from it while in his bed. Not a doctor, just sayin' we all need to watch it during this extreme heat.

Take care everyone!
Old 07-22-2016, 08:50 AM
  # 125 (permalink)  

I do not see the harm in warning someone of a very real possibility.

I would feel irresponsible not to bring it up. There is nothing wrong with being informed/aware. I wish someone had warned me before I got ill.
Old 07-22-2016, 08:53 AM
  # 126 (permalink)  

I'm sorry to hear of your uncle, Former.
Old 07-22-2016, 08:57 AM
  # 127 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

I kind of enjoy the heat. I work outside and I will take it over a Minnesota winter any day. My hubby is like you Sleeps, hates heat and humidity. He had gotten heat stroke before too.
Old 07-22-2016, 09:05 AM
  # 128 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by sleepie View Post
I do not see the harm in warning someone of a very real possibility.

I would feel irresponsible not to bring it up. There is nothing wrong with being informed/aware. I wish someone had warned me before I got ill.
There is a difference between warning someone of a real possibility and diagnosing their condition based on a sentence. ZJW was referring to something that happened several years ago and as he mentions he's run in high humidity and high heat before, he's also an experienced runner.

Absolutely - be careful in the heat, even just walking or going outside. Hydration is very key - and you need to drink water consistently, BEFORE you feel thirsty - if you wait until you are thirsty it's too late. But let's not scare people unnecessarily, OK?
Old 07-22-2016, 09:07 AM
  # 129 (permalink)  

I want my friend to be safe. Thank you.
Old 07-22-2016, 11:21 AM
  # 130 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zjw View Post
REALLY? i felt totally fine tho otherwise. never happens while i run its like after when i get inside and such.

rarely happens tho. When i first started running it was pretty common to finish a run and for like 4 hours or so after wards i might have to bundle up. when i read about it i read it was common IE they might give marathon runnres blankets at the end of a race for simlier reasons etc...
reads like a thermoregulation thing. pretty interesting thing the body does.
Old 07-22-2016, 11:26 AM
  # 131 (permalink)  
zjw

for what its worth i ran 8.5 miles in 90 degrees today i feel fine .

but yeah I googled the heat stroke stuff. I think i'm in the clear. years ago i'd have issues in the heat and it was normally like dizzyness and weekness feeling like i'd pass out sorta thing.

People worry about me runinng in the cold too. I"m used to it.

supposivly its common for older folks to drop of a heart attack while shoveling snow. something with the cold increases your chances of this? I cant recall the exact issue. Anyhow my father is always worried about me running in the cold as a result lol. But never had an issue.

Theres guys that do ultra marathons through the dessert too. I guess you just gotta be careful and be ready for it.

Its good to know the warning signs tho.
Old 07-23-2016, 02:34 AM
  # 132 (permalink)  

Probably not a good idea to open the windows... feels like trying to breathe in a swamp :/ took a supplement to sleep but not happening.

My 1 year anniversary of sobriety will be in the winter, another reason to look forward to the cold months... I come alive in fall/winter, I love it!
Old 07-23-2016, 04:41 AM
  # 133 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Last night wasn't too good for sleeping. Having the windows open doesn't help much when there's not even a breeze. It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't so humid. Anytime the dew points get to 70 and above, watch out!
Old 07-23-2016, 05:07 AM
  # 134 (permalink)  

Ok good to know about the dew point- we went and put the AC on again. We really were doing good with not using it. Not comfortable, but saved money and also acclimating a little.

The air does get so still it seems strange and a little surreal.
Old 07-23-2016, 06:10 AM
  # 135 (permalink)  
zjw

yeah i'm looking forwad to the fall alreayd and i have not even eaten a ripe tomato from my garden yet!!! its not so much the heat i mean its nice out otherwise. I just wanna curl up with a blanket and such and have the shorter days again ::facepalm:: by march i'll cry i cant wait for summer I'm never satisfied lol.

Heatwave Lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XE2fnYpwrng
Old 07-23-2016, 08:20 AM
  # 136 (permalink)  

Old 07-23-2016, 10:21 AM
  # 137 (permalink)  
zjw

fighting the urge to not hijack the thread and post other cool musical stuff like the piano guys or the vitamin string quartet from youtube

Good one lunar!
Old 07-23-2016, 05:59 PM
  # 138 (permalink)  

Post it zjw, whatever helps get me and anyone else through the heat wave

We have a storm right now...!

What is a vitamin string quartet?

Hi lunar!
Old 07-23-2016, 06:32 PM
  # 139 (permalink)  
zjw

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AIcDIZGlr9U
Old 07-23-2016, 06:33 PM