Notices

Sleepie's Summer Support Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 04:44 PM
  # 161 (permalink)  

I'm sorry sleepie. I am with you all here in the heat and since we just found out we are losing our office at work the boss wants everything thrown in dumpsters.

So, up and down 3 flights of steps hauling boxes and junk in the heat and I'm the only one sweating. Plus we are only allowed to wear business attire so I'm in a suit.

Today I walked thru the parking lot and saw stars. Almost passed out but it turned into a migraine. I didn't used to be like this before drinking. Zero energy. Hope you feel better.
Old 07-25-2016, 05:11 PM
  # 162 (permalink)  

Why on earth hasn't your boss got movers to do all that? Sounds kind of wrong, BBE. I literally would not be able to do that. I was sick all evening yesterday because I went outside for just a very short time.
Old 07-25-2016, 05:15 PM
  # 163 (permalink)  

It is real. Try and imagine how most of you feel in the winter, and then simply apply. It's just plain mean to tell someone who is depressed that this is actually great. Seriously. I would never tell someone here or elsewhere who suffered seasonal depression in the winter that actually it's great and then just talk about how much I love the cold. That would be insensitive. It seems to be acceptable to be insensitive to people who have the reverse of the "norm". In a lot of cases and especially IRL I get dirty looks if I even say how bad I feel and I have to be completely in the closet about my depression because of this. And everyone just thinks I am exaggerating and then starts taking about how much they love the heat etc. Which, if you have ever been depressed I am sure you can imagine how all that feels.

Summer Depression: Causes, Symptoms, and Tips to Help

And I fully expect to get blasted for saying anything about it. And I cannot wait for Fall, and yes, I will be happy in the cold months. It will be great not to be so depressed. But, like I said- I'l have to keep my mouth shut. But it seems acceptable for people to say "Oh but I love summer and I love heat" to those who literally suffer depression because of it.
Old 07-25-2016, 05:19 PM
  # 164 (permalink)  

Like this:

Well, I love summer heat. Being born in Georgia in June without air conditioning...hot is my norm.

I specifically explained how I suffer here. And also said, "I want this to be my "cool" place". That's what I wanted this thread to be. But it looks like no, that won't be allowed.
Old 07-25-2016, 05:22 PM
  # 165 (permalink)  

I have never made the connection. Between depression and heat. Makes total sense.

The files we are throwing away are full of confidential info so I guess it has to remain in the company. I am drinking water all day but I had my hair stuck to my head and was bright red which is embarrassing with the whole office watching. My coworker who is 20 years older was perfectly fine.
Old 07-25-2016, 05:26 PM
  # 166 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by sleepie View Post
Insensitive.

I specifically explained how I suffer here. And also said, "I want this to be my "cool" place". That's what I wanted this thread to be. But it looks like no, that won't be allowed.
You need to give people the right to have other opinions Sleepie.
We all do

This is a public forum - it's based on discussion.

There's no rule that say all respondees must agree with the OP.
That would not be a desirable outcome.

I think you also need to perhaps wait a few beats before you respond sometimes.

People offering you a different opinion is not necessarily a personal attack.

It's certainly not denying you the right to think however you see fit on any subject.

Overwhelmingly, the responses you get are from people trying to help you.

If you don't like some of the responses use the ignore button.
If you don't want feedback, start a blog.

If you want to continue with threads, please keep in mind that some of the responses may not be what you want to hear?

Dee
SR
Old 07-25-2016, 05:39 PM
  # 167 (permalink)  
orangutan

Originally Posted by behindblueyes View Post
I have never made the connection. Between depression and heat.
I hate the summer and the heat , my depression is always worse at that time of year. I also suffer from a phobia of storms and this sends my anxiety through the roof. Give me winter any time.
Old 07-25-2016, 05:45 PM
  # 168 (permalink)  

This article explains everything better than I could. And yes, I was a winter baby.

People Get Seasonal Depression in the Summer, Too | Science | Smithsonian

Aussie that must be very difficult if You live in Australia as I surmise from your name?
Old 07-25-2016, 05:48 PM
  # 169 (permalink)  
Administrator

FWIW I'm not a summer person either.

I move around better and feel better in the winter - I wish it would stay like this all year round.

D
Old 07-25-2016, 05:57 PM
  # 170 (permalink)  
orangutan

This article explains everything better than I could. And yes, I was a winter baby.

People Get Seasonal Depression in the Summer, Too | Science | Smithsonian

Aussie that must be very difficult if You live in Australia as I surmise from your name?
I am Australian sleepie. It is the toughest time of the year for me , I really struggle to stay sober through summer for many reasons but anxiety and fear are right up there.
Old 07-26-2016, 03:50 AM
  # 171 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

When it gets so hot and humid, it's tough to breathe outside, let alone enjoy it.

I'm not a fan of either extreme heat or extreme cold. I'm originally from Minnesota, so I know cold. Several years ago, me and my parents got caught in a blizzard while ice fishing on a huge lake. The propane heater went out in our tiny ice fishing shack and there was no way we could walk or drive to the shore. Luckily, my Dad had enough gas in his truck and we were able to huddle together in the front seat and ride out the storm. We could have literally froze to death if not for the heater in that truck.

If I could live where it was a constant 50(F) degrees, I would be in paradise.
Old 07-26-2016, 07:18 AM
  # 172 (permalink)  

I relate Sleepie. I don't suffer to the degree that you do, but I far prefer being cold. I think, for me, summer makes me more anxious because I feel 'exposed' for lack of a better word. Its light much longer, people are out and about, I have to wear less clothing. Just makes me anxious as heck. I am longing for the 'coziness' of winter. Short days, bundled up, safe.

You're not alone! People always complain in the winter (frankly seems they complain in the summer too) and I'm happy as a clam. I do find that sweating while working out helps me handle the heat much better, at least physically. But the mental part is tougher to deal with for sure.
Old 07-26-2016, 07:58 AM
  # 173 (permalink)  

Our temperatures have been in the mid to upper 90s and the humidity is awful in the mornings.

The humidity gets bad again in the evenings, though, if showers start materializing.

I have not been running for a couple of weeks now.

Later this week, our high temperatures are supposed to get down to the mid to upper 80s, which means I can run again.

My wife and I are going to Key West next Friday for a week.

I should be able to run every day.

During the heat of the day, we stay inside or go to cool, air conditioned galleries.

I also go to a lot of AA meetings down there.
Old 07-26-2016, 08:01 AM
  # 174 (permalink)  

you gave this old lady a breath of fresh air with that.. so look forward to the snow. and white and well it all. my fav time of year..

Originally Posted by Fabela View Post
Enjoy this picture of a lovely winter day in Norway. Cool enough?

Old 07-26-2016, 08:13 AM
  # 175 (permalink)  

since I passed out as a volunteer for the Rock and Soul run in early July.. the heat just has hit me hard.. so have to do the tonic water with gator aid.. 3 times in a week... have to be more carefull then I have every had to.. and I did parades in the 1980's in complete clown outfit. never had a problem..

the tonic water has quinine like anything becarefull how much of this you drink... they used to do quinine pills for heat problems and then found this gave people problems with their hearts... I am very carefull tastes terrible.. has fizzy water to it.. but is not bad half a bottle of the tonic to a whole bottle of gator aid and I am good for a few days.. and no leg cramps with the heat... I am so looking forward to the fall and winter.. we will be moving.. my son is coming home to live in his house with wife... drink I just might.... and my daughter has bought a townhouse for me to live in and never move again.. but then when they get older the will have a condo for retirement in.. its nice I can have my little garden we can paint and put up cedar in the closets and do the basement as a computer library work room... I am sad tho .. wanted Christmas with all the kids and families at ivans just one more time...
Old 07-26-2016, 12:43 PM
  # 176 (permalink)  
zjw

some of the stuff in that article makes total sense. like the added expenses of summer going places doing stuff. i get very depressed when i cant afford to do stuff with the kids in the summer time.

Tho winter comes along and its the same thing i'm broke cause i'm shoveling cash on the heater lol.

I find winter to be pretty depressing for varous reasons. I'm good till about febuary then i start to go down hill by march i'm dien just beggen for warmer weather and longer days and more sunshine.

but I dunno many of the points made in that article apply to me as well!!

I'm just never satisfied lol.
Old 07-26-2016, 01:00 PM
  # 177 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

article in Washington Post about heat and humidity.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...rainbow&wpmm=1
Old 07-26-2016, 02:27 PM
  # 178 (permalink)  

Like this:

Insensitive.

you could start a blog likes been suggested.
also use the ignore feature.

we get it- not everyone takes to the heat very good. i dont either.
but shouldnt anyone be able to post how they feel just as you are allowed to?
Old 07-26-2016, 09:46 PM
  # 179 (permalink)  

Yeah, Sleeps, you should use the ignore feature.

Several years ago, me and my parents got caught in a blizzard while ice fishing on a huge lake. The propane heater went out in our tiny ice fishing shack and there was no way we could walk or drive to the shore. Luckily, my Dad had enough gas in his truck and we were able to huddle together in the front seat and ride out the storm. We could have literally froze to death if not for the heater in that truck.

Wow, FormerBeerLover! Glad you and your parents made it through the storm okay. What a scary situation!

Anyway, Sleeps, we should think about fall things we love to have something to look forward to . For me it's hot cider and cider donuts. Very Fall in New England, right?

D.
Old 07-26-2016, 10:18 PM
  # 180 (permalink)  

Hi ardy! Thanks for stopping by.

:

I just want to be able to walk briskly without the fear of being ill. I also like a hot coffee and a good book on a Fall day. I am so tired and uncomfortable in the summer I can't focus enough for any real reading.