Sleepie's Summer Support Thread

Old 06-18-2016, 01:48 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  
Do your best

It's been humid here today Sleepie x
Old 06-18-2016, 02:11 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

hi soberwolf today we got off pretty easy do far

I imagine it can't get too hot usually, in your neck of the woods?
Old 06-18-2016, 02:19 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Soberwolf, I will be visiting your neck of the woods in a few weeks. Make sure the weather is not too hot or not too cold, but just right. OK?
Old 06-19-2016, 02:52 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Ugh 91 today and tomorrow!
Old 06-22-2016, 04:47 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

I have taken a sleeveless tee and soaked it in cool water, put it on and then pointed the fan at the bed. So, go to sleep with a wet tee, it sounds uncomfortable or weird but when it is so hot that it will dry in an hour anyway, no matter. This helped me sleep and also cool off after a walk.
Old 06-23-2016, 04:42 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

I do this when I'm working outside or sometimes at the gym.
Great idea about the fan and bed sleepie!
I'll have to try that too.

Hope you have a good day and stay relatively cool
Old 06-23-2016, 10:35 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  
Do your best

It does get hot n summer so now lol not as hot as other places but can get into the mid 30s today is really humid with rain

Il tell the weatherman to make it nice Fab
Old 07-11-2016, 09:59 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

It is about 89 with the humidity right now but I walked for an hour and 15 minutes. I may have overdone it, I stopped at a market to get something and started to get a little ill and panicky. I stayed in the shade as much as I could but it feels like breathing hot oven air and after awhile there was no shade. Now I am in a dim room with the fan on recovering.
Old 07-11-2016, 10:09 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  
zjw

good job! today was an easy day for me just 3 miles but I must have had low sugar or something i felt sorta winded as a ran was glad to get in and just eat some lunch!

its suppose to be rediculously hot in my area this week. I'm not looking forward to it. I might end up a scorched black dot of ash on the road somewhere lol.
Old 07-11-2016, 10:09 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by sleepie View Post
It is about 89 with the humidity right now but I walked for an hour and 15 minutes. I may have overdone it, I stopped at a market to get something and started to get a little ill and panicky. I stayed in the shade as much as I could but it feels like breathing hot oven air and after awhile there was no shade. Now I am in a dim room with the fan on recovering.
The simple fact that you went out and took your walk, despite your issues with high temps, is a strong sign Sleepie. Dealing with anxiety involves facing the things we fear the most, and you just did that. It's not surprising that you felt a little ill/panicky afterwards- that happens, even for those who have their anxiety well managed. Another good sign is that even though you felt this way, you were still able to get to a place that you could recover physically from the heat and wind down the anxiety too. Keep doing things like this and you'll go far over time.
Old 07-11-2016, 10:21 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Hey zjw, I get panicky due to heat illness, I am quite prone to it. I have to take care because I can feel ok and think I am ok and then bam, I am dizzy and can't breathe. It is always heat and humidity that do this. Alright how on earth can someone who consumes piles of bananas every day be low on sugar?!
Old 07-11-2016, 10:50 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  
zjw

LOL beats me. I think part of the issue today was the bannanas where getting past there prime and where less then optimal so where not a great fuel for me I also missed my mid morning snack lol. But I do notice my performance rise and fall with the quality of the bananas i have on hand go figure.

Another interesting thing you learn when you eat like i do. The bottom half of a grapefruit is always sweeter then the top I swear this is true you could blind fold me and i could tell you what bite came from the top and what bite came from the bottom.

There is also lots of other little nuances you notice about fruits and veggies when you eat so many lol. Like sometimes a banana can taste liek a powdered donut or even have a bubblegum kinda flavor to me lol.

I can totally relate to the dizzy heat thing. then that leading to panic. I fortunately dont battle it much anymore with heat but i have in the past.

Almost anything that messes with my breatheing can quickly lead to a panic attack for me.

Maybe there was too much blood in my sugar stream? lol
Old 07-11-2016, 10:52 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

A powdered donut banana sounds brilliant. I must have one.
Old 07-11-2016, 10:56 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  
zjw

what is kinda good is in the fall i'll do a banana smoothie with a touch of vanilla extract and a touch of pumpkin pie spice !!!

yeah sometimes I wonder if i'm just imagineing they taste like something else lol but i swear i eat them sometimes and its like geeze this tastes too stinking good to just be fruit.

dates always amaze me how something so sweet and awesome can grow on a plant is totally beyond me.
Old 07-11-2016, 11:22 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

That sounds really good- what else do you put in your smoothie? I was thinking of making some, we have strawberries and bananas. I've never made one before.
Old 07-11-2016, 12:18 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  
zjw

it depends. mainly bananas are always my base because they are denser calories and cheap for me i get a 40lb box for about 6-12 dollars. From there I add on whatever other fruits i have handy. I'll also toss in kale or spinach or hemp protein from time to time as well.

Some of my favorites tho are banannas and blueberries with a touch of hersheys unsweetened cocoa theres plenty of sugar in the smoothie to keep it sweet and toss in a few dates.

The same thing but with raspberries instead of blue berries is good or strawberries.

I think the kicker is if its going to be a meal or not or if this is going to be how one eats through out the day. Then portion becomes pretty critical. I'll routinely have a 64 ounce smoothie for a meal. This can hold me to the next meal with minimal snacking at times tho I have no issue piling in more fruit between meals.

A lot of people have issues becuase they will not eat enough OR getting that 64 ounces down is a big struggle. It gets easier in time. Also keep in mind with how i run these kinds of meals are like tyring to put out the sun with a drop of water. I'll just torch it all off in no time flat.

But dont expect a smoothie with like 3 or 4 bananas a handful of kale and a couple strawberries to be much more then a snack. It is possible to starve despite having a full belly this is not a good feeling lol.

the big thing in the groups of people that eat like i do is if your craving garbage food you probably didnt eat enough. If your tired you might not have eaten enough. if your sad maybe you need more carbs if your depressed perhaps you should eat more fruit etc.... Almost as if no matter what your ailment is maybe try another banana and see if that helps lol.

I know i've read stuff about carbs and sugar making people happy so there probably is something to it.
Old 07-11-2016, 12:20 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  
zjw

also by dense calories keep in mind too like say a strawberry smoothie 64 ounces while dang tasty it might not be enough calories to keep on going from one meal to the next. So i typically wont rely on something like that for a meal. But I might make one that is heavy on berries but also has a ton of bananas or dates as well. Or drink it while eating some other denser meal.

Or in a pinch spike it with a pile of white sugar..... :s devil horns:: lol
Old 07-13-2016, 04:22 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Today the humidity got to me and I had to get in cold water 3 times, then turn the air on which I hate because i don't like AC air, it is weird to me. I hate that weird feeling like my head is vibrating and I can't breathe that heat and humidity causes It scares me because I think if i am ever back to not having air I will die. I have never been able to afford AC before and this heat intolerance makes me feel weak and unhealthy despite sobriety. Nothing good here, just heat illness and tons of acne since March- which I never had before, despite going on 7 months sober
Old 07-13-2016, 05:42 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear that but it's good to hear from you.
I've wondered how things are going.

Heat index here was 104 degrees F today, so I get how crappy you feel heat-wise.
Humidity has been crazy-high as well--over 86% yesterday
I feel like I'm in the tropics but no beach

Glad you are still sober sleepie
Old 07-13-2016, 05:56 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

What do you do Hawkeye, do you take cover in AC? This is no way to live, hopping in the shower several times or sitting around in wet clothes in front of a fan. I am sober only because I am afraid of kindling. It is the only reason I have not drank. God knows I have been pushed beyond what I can take.