Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Diary of a Mad Cow, Part V: "Rise of Sober Cow" –everybody run!

Notices

Diary of a Mad Cow, Part V: "Rise of Sober Cow" –everybody run!

Old 07-19-2014, 12:47 PM
  # 121 (permalink)  

I know now my digestive systems handles such outrages. And it is not pretty. I assure you of this. thank goodness I am very talented at crop dusting.

Love from Lenina
Old 07-19-2014, 12:57 PM
  # 122 (permalink)  

Hostess Ding Dongs are an assault to the digestive system! Is there anything at all natural about them? the packaging probably has more nutrition and may be healthier than the insides.

I went through a period in early sobriety where I felt like mulch. I felt like I was decomposing. that's the only way I can explain it. But over time, by doing the next right, moral things, I got better. The peace increased. I found working some daily routines, pretty basic stuff, I started to feel more human. More real.

The basic stuff was mostly self care items. having a civilized breakfast. Making my bed. Proper grooming. writing a daily gratitude list. reading something daily related to recovery. Not just recovery from the alcohol, but about my life. Louise Hay's book was just out then. so I read a bit of "You Can Heal Your Life." I read Jean Shindola Bowen's book, "Goddessess in Every Woman". these helped.

well, I have to get into the shower and out the door. We are going to an outdoor concert, I don't want to,really, but I need to do something to get out of the house.

Love from Lenina
Old 07-19-2014, 01:27 PM
  # 123 (permalink)  
Cow
Woe is Moo.

... ...no freaking way is I making my freaking bed.

I remembers Louise Hay: "If you left toe hurt it mean you holding resentment toward you 6th grade teacher in past life."

I gonna stick with "The Secret," where I just has to sit on my asses and use law of attraction to bring perfect recovery and health to me like supernatural UPS delivery.

Also, when I was kid, Ding Dong was made with real chocolate and cream, not was plastic hockey pucks they is now.

Moo Mwah, sweet Lenina.
Old 07-19-2014, 01:47 PM
  # 124 (permalink)  
Recovered from Hopeless State

Originally Posted by Cow View Post
... ...no freaking way is I making my freaking bed.
I make mine every couple of months when I change the sheets. Sometimes sooner when the damn cat pees on it. Hangover bad habit, lol. At least the whole room doesn't smell like alcohol anymore.

Old 07-19-2014, 01:52 PM
  # 125 (permalink)  

well, if you can do the The Secret, how about you check out Ernest Holmes and US Anderson? And maybe flylady.net?

I think you deserve a fresh made bed. It's one of my favorite things about staying in hotels so much. always nice, crisp, fresh sheets! I love a turn down service too. One hotel I stay in leaves an affirmation and a bottle of water on the nightstand with the turndown service.
And a cute little rug next to the bed for ones dainty hooves.

moowah to you, darling Cow.

Lenina
Old 07-19-2014, 02:06 PM
  # 126 (permalink)  
Cow
Woe is Moo.

Lenina, you obvious never see Dateline where they bring black light and testing swabs into "clean" hotel room and reveal bed only look clean but is full of disgusting germ, sperm, and filth. I prefers to live in my own filth. That just me.

dSob, I also only make bed when I launder sheets and is thus force to make bed. To me, making bed is epitome of unnecessary energy expenditure. No offense to bedmakers. Also, I has one pillow. ONE! Why people need 8?! You crazy!
Old 07-19-2014, 02:11 PM
  # 127 (permalink)  

I has eight pillows. Two for head, one for between knees, one to hug. Two for show, with nice covers. Two decorative throw pillow.

Eight. Is normal, no?

Also, I agree with flylady.net. She helped me wrestle back control of my house when I was buying too much stuff.

And, Twinkies. Never Ding Dongs.
Old 07-19-2014, 02:19 PM
  # 128 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cow View Post
I really never been sober. Not since I discover the Hostess Ding Dongs at age 8. Goddamn those was good.
I used to freeze those suckers and eat them at the top of the mulberry tree in my front yard in the summer.

Oh, the taste of whipped lard and real sugar melting on my tongue, chased with ripe mulberries. . . that would almost qualify as a happy memory, gosh darn it. . .

Anyone here admit to licking the nacho cheese flavor off of Doritos, or was I the only fast food latch key kid additive addict in 1973?
Old 07-19-2014, 02:57 PM
  # 129 (permalink)  
Cow
Woe is Moo.

Bimi, I not has any problem with buy too much stuff. I austere minimalist. I could name every item in every drawer and closet of home. I still wear any clothes from college that not have whole in it yet. I not even have two lipstick, cuz just to has one is more simple. I not like when is too much things around me.

Hawk, we had mulberry tree. One of very few young memory I have is one time eating handful upon handful of delicious mulberry, then looking down into hand and seeing that they was actual crawling with tiny worm of some sort. ...Doh! If you has have Dorito lately, you see they putting much more "whatever that orange stuff flavor is" on them. Is like each one now is fully coat like coveted ones you maybe find every couple chip in old days, so really, is no need to lick you chip anymore.

Maybe Guinea Pig put that in her signature: "Is no need to lick you chip anymore." I just tease Guinea Pig, I super proud to be one of you signature quote!
Old 07-19-2014, 06:26 PM
  # 130 (permalink)  

Eight pillows seem ok to me. I have about that many but I have Hubs too

Yes i see all those shows about nasty hotels. Bed bugs big problem these days. I bring my own coffee cup and eating utinsels

WhY do i live this way? Must be the money

Xxoo. Lenina
Old 07-20-2014, 12:38 AM
  # 131 (permalink)  

Found a good candid, rising shot.

Definitely rising, from scene in "Rat Race".
Old 07-20-2014, 12:47 AM
  # 132 (permalink)  

Cow, what are you willing to do differently this time? making the bed seems a small, innocuous thing. OK, too big a deal? how about fresh clothes and daily shower? Get dressed every day. maybe eat a simple but tasty breakfast.

Darling, I do worry so for you. if you aren't capable of happiness, maybe we can find some peace. maybe fill up that desolate place in you.

Love from Lenina
Old 07-20-2014, 01:09 AM
  # 133 (permalink)  

Sorry Lenina, but back on the lighter side...

Shot may have been from something else. Here's a good clip of Cow and friends though:

Rat Race (7/9) Movie CLIP - Balloon Chase (2001) HD - YouTube

Caution: Rated R and don't mind the ads.
Old 07-20-2014, 01:23 AM
  # 134 (permalink)  

Not Cow related but here's another great scene at McCarran airport:

Rat Race (2/9) Movie CLIP - The Radar Tower (2001) HD - YouTube

Whole movie's hilarious really. Reminds me a lot of "Airplane!", one twisted gag after another.

Old 07-20-2014, 08:17 AM
  # 135 (permalink)  
p***enger

How Cow and Cow-people Live

I once asked people on the Undies thread to describe some basics of the conditions they lived in. Not everyone contributed but I still thought it was interesting. Here I am:

I live with 1 other person in 625 square feet in a non-hip neighborhood in Manhattan, a small 1 bedroom, 1 bath. It's on the top floor of a mid-rise in a post-war doorman building (although our doormen don't wear epaulets, hats, or striped trousers, more's the pity). I have fairly minimal possessions for the 21st century middle class: yes to a microwave, no to blender, espresso machine, toaster oven; yes to a laptop and a printer, no to television, smart phone, or Kindle; yes to several bookshelves and books, no to a car, a dresser, curtains. I've lived here 2.5 years and have yet to hang any pictures on the walls. Most of my few articles of furniture were bought used or collected from discards, or built by my husband when we lived out west. My oldest clothing goes back to about 1985 (I have to treat it pretty gingerly), plus I wear some other people's clothes that go back at least to the 1950s. I have 3 lipsticks. Two perfumes -- perfume was an experiment in indulgence last year getting sober.

As Cow regulars know, I'm either a superficial person, or a radical materialist. I think it would be fun to get to know others here through the concrete details as well as the deep thoughts and humor everyone shares so freely -- deep thoughts come harder and harder for me, but I can always count lipsticks! How many do you have?
Old 07-20-2014, 12:32 PM
  # 136 (permalink)  

I have one Aveda lipstick in a natural shade that I haven't used in five years.
Old 07-20-2014, 12:45 PM
  # 137 (permalink)  

I have everything I need. Backups for some stuff. Too many pairs of socks and some clothes that are unnecessary.

I was a 60s-70s latchkey kid. My addictions were Neopolitan ice cream with chocolate syrup and Spanish peanuts. Charles Chips (they came in a can and were delivered by the Charles Chips people in a big brown panel truck.) I also had a thing for fountain cherry cokes. Ten cents. We would sit at the counter at the drug store and read their Archie comic books and then put them back in the rack - probably cherry-sticky.
Old 07-20-2014, 12:55 PM
  # 138 (permalink)  

I remember getting milk delivered to our apt. in Manhattan. I remember Manhattan Beach too, lol. Probably heading back out west more permanently one of these fine days
Old 07-20-2014, 01:02 PM
  # 139 (permalink)  

Fudgesicles from the neighborhood ice cream truck! And anyone remember those Zebra rolls they used to sell in the high school cafeteria? I used to eat 3 or 4 for lunch......no wonder I slept through afternoon classes.

Great thread, Cow.....your ability to find and express humor despite abject misery is an inspiration to me. As a very non creative person I truly appreciate it in others.

Please keep sharing.......we need your perspective and speaking for myself I really need to laugh.

Old 07-20-2014, 01:54 PM
  # 140 (permalink)  
p***enger