Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Diary of a Mad Cow, Part V: "Rise of Sober Cow" –everybody run!

Notices

Diary of a Mad Cow, Part V: "Rise of Sober Cow" –everybody run!

Old 07-23-2014, 02:55 PM
  # 181 (permalink)  

I've been keeping a jade plant now for over ten years. It was from a clipping out of my great grandmothers yard. My grandmother took a clipping from the original and passed a baby down to me. She died a year later. That jade has meant a lot to me. I'm amazed it didn't die. Somehow it managed to survive my drunkenness. So did my oldest cat.

I agree that we can have relationships with plants

Cow, my grandparents fed hummingbirds too. I remember them. I might get a hummingbird feeder for my porch!

Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery
Old 07-23-2014, 03:24 PM
  # 182 (permalink)  
Recovered from Hopeless State

Originally Posted by Cow View Post
human is worst mistake evolution ever make.
Yet, lol.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:18 PM
  # 183 (permalink)  

What about Oscar?

Have you forgotten him or are you squabbling right now?
Old 07-23-2014, 06:47 PM
  # 184 (permalink)  
Cow
Woe is Moo.

Since you bring it up Hawk, Oscar in big troubles right now, cuz I ask him repeatedly not to tangle self all up in blind chords and he just go and does anyway, then who have to get him out, that right, Cow!

Well, I final get around to read Allie Brosh book "Hyperbole and a Half" and was very entertaining. I had already read blog chapters on her depression which SR people had point me to, and is awesome when she talk about how annoying hopeful, positive peoples are! But I also can total relate to chapters in book where she talk about what a crappy person she is. Is not mean to be sarcasm or negativity, she just trying to honest explain that she really not a that good of person!

"The source of my shittiness is the fact that I’m shity. I just am. It is not possible for me to not be that way. I can prevent myself from being actively shity. I can do things that a non-shity person would do. But the shittiness is always going to be there.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:06 PM
  # 185 (permalink)  

Despite my username, I'm a notorious houseplant killer. If they are outside where Ma Nature helps out I do great.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:44 PM
  # 186 (permalink)  

there's also Ehrenreich's "Brightsided: how the relentless promotion of positive thinking has undermined America".
Old 07-23-2014, 08:02 PM
  # 187 (permalink)  

Fini, really? I haven't read that one, I have her other books.

honestly, I think joy is a far reach and maybe unrealistic for many of us, I am grateful to have peace and contentment. I do have flashes of joy on occasion but it isn't sustainable for me.

Love from Lenina
Old 07-23-2014, 08:07 PM
  # 188 (permalink)  

I think contentment is vastly underrated.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:19 PM
  # 189 (permalink)  
p***enger

I know it's a mouthful, compared to contentment, but how about freedom from pitiful and incomprehensible demoralization? I'm pretty darn grateful for that.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:06 AM
  # 190 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gardendiva View Post
I'm a notorious houseplant killer. If they are outside where Ma Nature helps out I do great.
Me too. I use to habitually step on ants walking along the pavement. I find myself avoiding it lately. Even put an earthworm out in the sun back on shaded soil a few weeks ago and threw a couple leaves on him. Always tended to leave spiders alone although I still like to bait them occasionally, fun to watch. Related? Dunno.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:26 AM
  # 191 (permalink)  
Administrator

D
Old 07-24-2014, 03:30 AM
  # 192 (permalink)  
Omnivore

Originally Posted by Cow View Post
[SIZE="3"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Purple"]
"The source of my shittiness is the fact that I’m shity. I just am. It is not possible for me to not be that way. I can prevent myself from being actively shity. I can do things that a non-shity person would do. But the shittiness is always going to be there.
My thrapist said, about himself, "I'm an a$$hole inside. I always am an a$$hole. I just have learned not to act like one. I choose not to act like one." Not sure but I thnk he was suggesting a course of action for myself, lol.
Old 07-24-2014, 03:50 AM
  # 193 (permalink)  

I think contentment is vastly underrated.
I thought I read "commitment" when I first read and thanked. I like "contentment" too.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:21 AM
  # 194 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by walkbeformakrun View Post
My thrapist said, about himself, "I'm an a$$hole inside. I always am an a$$hole. I just have learned not to act like one. I choose not to act like one." Not sure but I thnk he was suggesting a course of action for myself, lol.
This is the way I feel about my selfishness. I am inherently selfish and have to make myself express concern for others' well-being. Borderline ASPD perhaps. Probably a big reason I have very few friends. I care very little about other people. Wow, this is the first time I've ever expressed this to anyone.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:33 AM
  # 195 (permalink)  

Wow, this is the first time I've ever expressed this to anyone.
Very positive step I think.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:04 AM
  # 196 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dSober View Post
Very positive step I think.
Yeah, I think my next psychiatrist appt. will be a bit more than a brief chat so I can get my Xanax refilled.

I have taught myself to ask after people in conversation, including relevant follow-up questions. It's easier when something going on with them is interesting to me. Small talk makes my skin crawl.

And it's not like I enjoy other peoples' suffering or anything heinous like that, I just can't feel/think more than "thats awful" and then go on about my life.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:12 AM
  # 197 (permalink)  

It is difficult for me to really care any more either, GD.

I used to care, but I had it lifed out of me.

Now I only genuinely care about some people. I will help anyone - to a point. I'm not bragging about that. God hasn't really finished with me. Heck, He's barely scratched the surface.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:33 AM
  # 198 (permalink)  

gardendiva,
You consistently say the words that are in my head.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:41 AM
  # 199 (permalink)  

Yeah, I think my next psychiatrist appt. will be a bit more than a brief chat so I can get my Xanax refilled.
If serious about those, be careful. One of my rehab buddies was an ex-cop Xanax junkie. If kidding, lol.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:59 AM
  # 200 (permalink)  
Cow
Woe is Moo.

Wow. Cow have way of bringing out the sociopath in everyone. Ha ha moo ha!

Not worry Guinea Pig, sometime I forget friend I know for 5-10 years even exist!

I think whole bit about human being great fount of love and light and that "humanity" something moral and selfless and special, all BS. I think we few who admit we selfish, and not really that empathetic to other, and maybe even our true nature rather dark or assy is being honest about what "humanity" really is.