Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

NEW HERE! Terrified of alcohol withdrawal please any advice would help!!!!

Notices

Old 08-06-2014, 12:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi I'm Ann and I'm new to this forum but I had to join today because I am terrified and I want my life back. I'm a 22 year old female and I've been drinking daily for about 6 months now. I usually drink about three beers and a half a bottle of wine, so I don't know what that adds up as. I want to quit but I am terrified of all the things I read online about withdrawing. Likes having seizures or even death. I want to know if in any of your opinions should someone who has been drinking the amount I have in the period of time I have taper off alcohol or just stop cold turkey? I usually will drink until I'm decently drunk every night. I usually start at night around like 9 and stay up until about 4 am drinking on and off. Then I'll eat. I also have annorexia and have lost a lot of weight recently so I am afraid of that. I am 5'5 1/2 and weigh about 104 pounds. Could my weight make withdrawal symptoms worse? If anyone can help me I would greatly appreciate it. I am terrified of withdrawal and am really alone on this and could use any kind of support. thank you. Also as of right now it's been 9 and a half hours since my last drink. Laying in bed and can't sleep. I'm just really scared.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Ann - welcome

We can't give you medical advice here I'm afraid - and in the case of withdrawal it's impossible to do that over the net anyway, cos everyone is different.

Some people detox without any apparent ill effects and others do not.

I know it's scary but the very best thing to do is see your Dr (or any Dr) get checked out, and ask their opinion.

It really is the safest way and it will give you peace of mind

D
Old 08-06-2014, 12:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Matt M

Best to see your doctor, but it's likely they'll advise you not to go cold turkey because that is dangerous.
The odds of having a seizure are fairly slim (although I did!) but it's best to go about it the proper way and that'd be through your doctor.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome. I think you're already making good choices, and brave ones.

If you can, see a doctor and be honest with him or her about your drinking, eating and weight issues.

Good luck!
Old 08-06-2014, 12:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Ann,

I know it's scary but I found that finally, after years and years of daily drinking, that being honest with my doctor was a huge first step.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone! I have been I guess binge drinking like this for a little less than half a year. I'm in college but currently still live with my parents and they don't know how bad it is. I really want to see a doctor on my own accord because I want to get back to normal on my own without them knowing.. That is what is also terrifying. But I guess I should see my doctor then.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

And ps eggs only have like 70 calories each, so its ok even if you're concerned about your weight. Sounds like you're very slim though, you probably don't have anything to worry about there!
Old 08-06-2014, 12:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Matt M

From my point of view that wouldn't be enough alcohol, but I think your size and body weight makes a difference, so considering Fairychild is small, it's going to take a lot less alcohol to effect her.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~Music is my mantra ----{-@

Originally Posted by Fairychild View Post
Thank you everyone! I have been I guess binge drinking like this for a little less than half a year. I'm in college but currently still live with my parents and they don't know how bad it is. I really want to see a doctor on my own accord because I want to get back to normal on my own without them knowing.. That is what is also terrifying. But I guess I should see my doctor then.
Hi Fairy. I don't know the situation between you and your parents, and I completely understand wanting to hide from them. However, maybe what's best is to talk to them about your situation. They're your parents, and they love you, and the more support you get the better. You've got to start coming out of hiding at some point. It's so freaking hard I know...but it's part of the recovery process. It makes us (me at least) feel so vulnerable and fearful, but it's best when the people we love who love us know the truth.
Old 08-06-2014, 01:03 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you for all the advice everyone! Right now I just experiencing insomnia. I guess if I were to get withdrawals it's at it's peak within 24 hours from what I read so I'll see how I feel then. I really appreciate all the support and advice !!!
Old 08-06-2014, 01:08 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Just a reminder to people to please not give medical advice. I've removed one post and one reply under the rule.

There are a lot of factors to consider in withdrawal quite apart from how much you drink - body mass, lifestyle, clinical history, and familial factors can all come into play.

lets leave the doctoring to the doctors

D