Old 07-20-2014, 08:17 AM
  # 135 (permalink)  
courage2
p***enger

How Cow and Cow-people Live

I once asked people on the Undies thread to describe some basics of the conditions they lived in. Not everyone contributed but I still thought it was interesting. Here I am:

I live with 1 other person in 625 square feet in a non-hip neighborhood in Manhattan, a small 1 bedroom, 1 bath. It's on the top floor of a mid-rise in a post-war doorman building (although our doormen don't wear epaulets, hats, or striped trousers, more's the pity). I have fairly minimal possessions for the 21st century middle class: yes to a microwave, no to blender, espresso machine, toaster oven; yes to a laptop and a printer, no to television, smart phone, or Kindle; yes to several bookshelves and books, no to a car, a dresser, curtains. I've lived here 2.5 years and have yet to hang any pictures on the walls. Most of my few articles of furniture were bought used or collected from discards, or built by my husband when we lived out west. My oldest clothing goes back to about 1985 (I have to treat it pretty gingerly), plus I wear some other people's clothes that go back at least to the 1950s. I have 3 lipsticks. Two perfumes -- perfume was an experiment in indulgence last year getting sober.

As Cow regulars know, I'm either a superficial person, or a radical materialist. I think it would be fun to get to know others here through the concrete details as well as the deep thoughts and humor everyone shares so freely -- deep thoughts come harder and harder for me, but I can always count lipsticks! How many do you have?