Notices

Class of May 2017 Support Thread Part Two

Old 05-24-2017, 03:45 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by emme99 View Post
Hi everyone,

Welcome Karen

Day 7
The last couple of days were pretty good but I had a pretty strong craving today. I kept thinking of how much I don't want to go back to where I was a week ago. I got a couple of iced teas on the way home, and a lemonade. I'm trying not to drink my calories but I needed something tart. Anyway, the craving is gone and I am glad I am sober.

I'm going to finish scooping the litter boxes, wash my face and then go to bed and listen to some of my audio book, and hopefully sleep good so I am not so tired tomorrow.

I hope everyone is well
Happy Wednesday
yesterday was Day 7 for me too. Still getting the cravings too.
Old 05-24-2017, 03:46 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by TheClaw View Post
I'm old enough to remember Get Smart. How is "TheClaw" non-PC?
His inability to pronounce L's = racial stereotype.

D
Old 05-24-2017, 03:50 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Morning all. Beginning of Day 8. My longest stretch this month. Cold and raining. Full day of stuff to do. No let up, stress meter still pegged and waking with that figgin headache at the back of my head. At least it's not THAT kind of headache.

Last night I had my SMART workbook on the counter, my 16yo asked what it was. I told her a "Health" guidebook. The wife later asked why I didn't tell her exactly what it was. Not sure, maybe I'm still trying to cover it all up. I've admitted my issue to the kids (16 and 18). Now I have to climb my way back.

jk
Old 05-24-2017, 04:09 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Day 1 (take 2)

Hello all,

Joining the May group late, hope there's still space?! Nice to meet everyone, and congratulations to you all for what you've achieved so far.

I managed to stay sober for the first 3 months of 2017. Unfortunately April and May thus far have seen me slip back to my old ways - kidding myself about the potential for moderation while drinking heavily, mostly hidden from others, and just about functioning at my usual levels as a parent and professional. I was really proud of having done three months, and am really annoyed that I've thrown that away.

There've been a few false dawns in the last few weeks, but today is Day 1 again. I will be checking in with this thread when I can - looking forward to hearing about others' progress, and grateful for the support and strength this will give me.

All the best.
Old 05-24-2017, 05:04 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
His inability to pronounce L's = racial stereotype.

D
I could see that. My nickname comes from days I was on the trading floor in Chicago. We yelled and screamed a lot but used sign language to communicate. My hand signals were SO BAD they called me "TheClaw" and it stuck.
Old 05-24-2017, 05:07 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  
love is the answer

Room for one more?

I'm on day 4 of my hundredth attempt at sobriety (it feels like that many).

I've been a member of SR for a few years and successfully had 8 months sober last year. I relapsed then tried again (and again ad nauseum). I'm back again and I have to make it stick this time.

My toolbox is packed but there's always room for a few more.

Hoping we can support each other in this journey.
Old 05-24-2017, 06:54 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mystified View Post
Room for one more?

I'm on day 4 of my hundredth attempt at sobriety (it feels like that many).

I've been a member of SR for a few years and successfully had 8 months sober last year. I relapsed then tried again (and again ad nauseum). I'm back again and I have to make it stick this time.

My toolbox is packed but there's always room for a few more.

Hoping we can support each other in this journey.
Welcome back.

(read your blog) Last month, when my 16yo asked if I was an Alcoholic and I feebly said "yes", I felt I'd lost years of respect from them. I'm fighting my way back but you're right, time is finite. My oldest leaves for college this fall. I don't going away thinking of me as the ******* I am when I'm drunk.

I had a long stint sober a couple of years ago. I realize now it's always with you and I have to stay this way for ever. Day 7 in the books.

Welcome again.

jk
Old 05-24-2017, 07:12 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

An hr into day 9! Bring it on.
Old 05-24-2017, 07:46 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Hi guys. I am going to an AA meeting in about an hour and a half ... For those of you who have used this approach, any tips for attending the meetings ? I am planning to just sit in the back and listen.
Old 05-24-2017, 07:49 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TheClaw View Post
I could see that. My nickname comes from days I was on the trading floor in Chicago. We yelled and screamed a lot but used sign language to communicate. My hand signals were SO BAD they called me "TheClaw" and it stuck.
Haha. The name reminds me of that great scene in the first Toy Story with the claw coming down to get the toys out of the arcade game.
Old 05-24-2017, 07:50 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Starting Day Three - it's been a great couple of first days - just low energy- perhaps because of all the anxiety of quitting. Hubby will be out of town tonight and tomorrow. I have a dr appt this afternoon to see how the detox is going. She prescribed Lorazepam but looks like I'm allergic to it - itching and swelling on my wrists. I stopped taking it.
Tonight I plan to watch La La Land (movie) / I passed out half way through last time. Will also give myself a lemon essential oil bath or massage - supposed to help with alcoholism. Also will be here on SR and reading many subject related books. Any other ideas?
There is no booze in the house - trashed it all on Day 1.
Thanks everyone for your kindness and support. 😘
Old 05-24-2017, 08:34 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

I was due to meet a couple of friends for drinks tonight. It was arranged a week ago when I was still drinking. I thought I could still go but just drink cola.

I've backed out. I think it's too early to be around alcohol.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:03 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Day 7 since last binge. Someone said the cravings get better, yes it does! I spent 2 days without any craving even though I stopped at the supermarket and seven eleven where I usually get booze. Yesterday I did have a craving after having a root canal done and a not so good job interview. I did drink 2 beers by myself. I see a lot of people here talking about how they fooled themselves into believing that they could drink socially. For the last week, I was able to do that but I know from your experience that this is just not realistic. I think I was able to do that because after a very stressful 5 months finally, my plans paid off and now I just need to focus on my thesis (and hopefully find a job in my area of expertise). However, I know that when life picks up pace again there won't be such a thing of being able to stop at one or two drinks. So the goal this week is not to drink at all. The lack of sleep these Last 3 days have been tough on me. Yesterday, I took a whole ambien 10 mg and spent the night wide awake. At least I got my final school project going instead of getting wine. Almost done to submit my proposal to the committee. Hopefully, insomnia will normalize soon. Glad to have the inspiration of seeing you making one more day. No gym today, but for sure meditation. Have a great sober day!!
Old 05-24-2017, 10:40 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

I could have written your post mystified, day 4 of my 100th attempt with a few months previously under my belt. I joined up here a long time ago but haven't been back in a while. Determined not to let my alcoholic voice get the better of me this time. To those in the UK, hope you're enjoying this lovely evening, to everyone else g'day!
Old 05-24-2017, 11:30 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lovehoops View Post
Thanks for the shoutout ee, we've and sunflower...

Unfortunately, I know what sobriety is like and how good it feels and how good life can be. I'm good at seeing it in other people and encouraging them yet I can't fight fr it myself .

Sunflower...things WILL get better..when I had a few years of sobriety my life sucked. My husbands business was a mess, my father was dying and I had 2 teenagers which is a total nightmare. I didn't drink thru all of that and I didn't even think of it. Yet, here I am today struggling?

This disease is awful...stick with it..your family si worth it. I know AA says you can't get sober for your family or anyone else BUT I DID and it worked. Unfortunately, it didn't stick but I'm still trying.

Life sux and being a parent is really hard!! BUT a drunk parent is worse. I think my kids have forgiven me but they remember my drinking and that hurts badly...

Take today as it is and be sober..your kids deserve it and you deserve it...
Thank you so much- I am definitely doing this for my kids as well and honestly wonder if they came into my life to help me choose sobriety when I did. If I was still single or married but without kids it would have been easier to continue going on the path I was on- no reason to stop really. They give me a huge reason to be the best version of me I can be.

I'm sorry you are struggling so much to stay sober. Being sober for a few years is such a huge accomplishment- may I asked what happened when you relapsed? What are you struggling with most now? Do you have any outside support? I want to see you succeed and I know you can do it, you've already proven it to yourself.
Old 05-24-2017, 11:31 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tynesider22 View Post
I was due to meet a couple of friends for drinks tonight. It was arranged a week ago when I was still drinking. I thought I could still go but just drink cola.

I've backed out. I think it's too early to be around alcohol.
I think that's a great decision and one I would also have made! No reason to be put in that situation this early on- good for you Tynesider! Hope you have a nice relaxing evening
Old 05-24-2017, 11:33 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Spartanman View Post
Hi guys. I am going to an AA meeting in about an hour and a half ... For those of you who have used this approach, any tips for attending the meetings ? I am planning to just sit in the back and listen.
I haven't been in many years but when I went I would do the same thing- just sit where I felt most comfortable and listen. Someone may ask if there is anyone new to the meeting but you don't have to introduce yourself if you don't want to. I hope you enjoy it- I really loved speaker meetings myself- let us know how it goes...
Old 05-24-2017, 11:37 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Hey everyone- been a hectic 24 hours trying to work on the house (putting together furniture and running errands). Had a playdate with a new neighborhood friend this morning - it was nice and we hit it off pretty well (so did the kids.)

I am feeling much better today than I was yesterday. I apparently have the worst PMS on the planet which turns me into a lunatic. Sorry if that's TMI, I just wish it was predictable. I was pretty much ready to divorce my husband I was in such a rage - that's how irrational I get.

Anyway, toddler is napping and I'm about to eat lunch. I have 4 dresser drawers that need to be assembled and all I want to do is watch tv and vedge out! Not sure what I'm going to do but I'm happy to be sober today and looking forward to hitting the 1 month mark in a week.

Happy to see some new people in our group- WELCOME to all of you!
Old 05-24-2017, 03:15 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

NOoo! 9hrs into Day 9 and I've come down with a cold!
Old 05-24-2017, 04:25 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome northernexile, ,mystified and Flashheart

D