Notices

Class of May 2017 Support Thread Part Two

Old 05-21-2017, 05:59 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

3 weeks for me today!!

And, my roommate just walked in with a six pack of beer...?? He knows I am staying sober, and this is very unlike him.

Too bad for my AV, as I hate beer and I'm having Cranberry and Ginger-ale!
Old 05-21-2017, 06:07 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sorry about that solarion. I must have mixed up threads as well as names.

D
Old 05-21-2017, 08:16 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Busy day here, calling it a nite. All good. Got thru Sunday afternoon dry.

Jk
Old 05-21-2017, 09:36 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,

Originally Posted by Sunflowerlife View Post
Hi Emme! I have always done guided meditations which may be a nice place to start for you- that way you have a focus. One that I really like is by Vishen Lakhiani on an app call OMVANA. He goes through a "6 phase meditation" where you reflect on a few things and then visualize your day at the end. I think it can be very helpful and it takes about 15 minutes. Let me know if you try it! I want to start doing it again too.
Thanks Sunflowerlife I pulled it up on YouTube and I will try it, maybe later tonight. I will let you know how it goes. I hope you had a good Sunday

Congrats on 3 weeks Wildflower

Tynesider, I am hoping to lose weight too. Not only from the calories in the alcohol, but after drinking I would make poor decisions on what to eat. Looking forward to looking and feeling better

Day 5
I just got home from taking care of my brother's cats. Sunday nights are typically a night I would drink with the anxiety & stress of having to go back to work tomorrow. I was going to stop at McDonalds on my way home since they have $1 drinks but it was too late, I am too tired and it was out of the way. I just went to get a Sparkling Ice drink from the fridge and I found a beer. I am not going to drink it. It surprised me though as I thought all of the alcohol was gone. I am drinking a Sparkling Ice lemonade.

Wishing everyone a happy & sober new week
Old 05-21-2017, 09:39 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sunflowerlife View Post
Happy Weekend everyone. I know this can be a challenging time for a lot of us so please don't forget that you can write a post here in SR to get help if you have the urge to drink!

I am feeling pretty good today despite the fact that my husband is still stonewalling me. It's sad when he ignores me for days at a time but I refuse to play that game or let it bother me.

I discovered a really great technique to bring you out of "fight or flight" mode or just calm down the body in general. I tend to get in the mode a lot with the kids and taught my 5 year old the tool last night. Going to show my husband this morning.

Ok, I just looked through YouTube and for some reason it's not saved in my history and I can't find it! However, you can search for her there and she has TONS of quick relief exercises for anything from anger to stress. Go to YouTube and type in "Beth Tuttle." I am going to start following her and learning from her cause God knows I need some emotional help.

I did a 5 minute mediataion yesterday (thank you FixitDad for the inspiration.) According to the person who taught me I am supposed to feel a click or something when I have aligned with source but I did not. I probably need to keep trying. It felt good though to just sit in silence and I'd like to make this a daily habit (he recommended 3-4 short sessions a day of just 5 minutes- no excuses!)

Plans for today: theres a neighborhood yard sale this morning which will be nice so we can meet some new neighbors and see if they have any of the furniture we are in need of. Then we are going to my parents house for lunch, then nap time for our toddler which means gym time for me. Then I have to figure out what to do with the boys this evening.

A neighbor came by and introduced herself yesterday and brought us muffins- she has two little boys as well. We hit it off immediately and exchanged numbers. I am looking forward to getting to know her- up until now it's been challenging making friends as we move around so much. It's nice to know we are planting our roots and staying here at least for the next 10 years and hopefully longer than that!

Well I've totally rambled.
I hope to hear from all of you this weekend. We are here to help each other!!
Hi Sunny,

Glad you are making friends in your new neighborhood. I am going to google Beth Tuttle. I need some calm down tricks for tomorrow.
Old 05-22-2017, 12:52 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Joining this group today after a three day heavy binge! Realised the last time i was sober for more than a month was 5 month ago! Had a few years off the booze but went back on it a couple of years ago. Last few days have been playing golf all day drinking then drinking more watching film at home. Its just too much and I'm scared about my health if i keep going. Started yesterday about 2pm at golf club, 7 pints of beer later and off out to a pub at about 6pm, then about 6 jack daniels and a meal and i am crawling into bed at about 11pm. The worrying thing is i had a great day, like the day before and the day before that but i do have other aspirations in life other than being a drunk and having 'fun'. It was far less stressful a life and more balanced when i wasn't drinking. Im going to limit the time at the golf club and am going to head down to an AA meeting today, see if it will be different this time and pick my meetings wisely this time.
Old 05-22-2017, 02:15 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

I am here again after a bad weekend . Starting day 1 again. I won't get into details but I am determined to stay with this group.

My family will all be home this weekend and I can't sneak drinks with everyone here! I want to stop drinking.

Welcome Elian...maybe like you, I will choose AA meetings wisely this time?

Sunflower, I'm glad you're making new friends in your neighborhood,

Thanks everyone
Old 05-22-2017, 03:09 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're still trying

Do you have any kind of recovery plan lovehoops?
or is the problem putting it in practice?

D
Old 05-22-2017, 06:04 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Day 14??? Can't believe I've made it 2 weeks. Those first few days were hell, but I'm getting there. These antidepressants are taking more of a toll on me than being sober.

Anyway, it's not stealing my thunder or anything. I'm just tired all the time. Guess I've made too many changes at once. My husband seems happier these days and so does my kids.

I had such a crazy moment in the car today. There was a local song playing after dropping off the kids and my aircon was on. So I took a look at myself in the mirror. Hair was blowing (aircon, not wind) and the song was on point lol. I was really feeling myself and then I burst out laughing because I was being a nut. After the laughter came the realisation that I haven't laughed at myself in a long time. It was a beautiful moment. In that moment I felt like my old self. It was a glimpse into the future and it was lovely.
Old 05-22-2017, 06:07 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wildflower70 View Post
3 weeks for me today!!

And, my roommate just walked in with a six pack of beer...?? He knows I am staying sober, and this is very unlike him.

Too bad for my AV, as I hate beer and I'm having Cranberry and Ginger-ale!
Congratulations Wildflower! 3 weeks is terrific and way to turn down that beer!
Old 05-22-2017, 06:09 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LayEDla View Post
Day 14??? Can't believe I've made it 2 weeks. Those first few days were hell, but I'm getting there. These antidepressants are taking more of a toll on me than being sober.

Anyway, it's not stealing my thunder or anything. I'm just tired all the time. Guess I've made too many changes at once. My husband seems happier these days and so does my kids.

I had such a crazy moment in the car today. There was a local song playing after dropping off the kids and my aircon was on. So I took a look at myself in the mirror. Hair was blowing (aircon, not wind) and the song was on point lol. I was really feeling myself and then I burst out laughing because I was being a nut. After the laughter came the realisation that I haven't laughed at myself in a long time. It was a beautiful moment. In that moment I felt like my old self. It was a glimpse into the future and it was lovely.
LayEDLa- What a great description of your moment and how wonderful it must feel to laugh at yourself again

Congrats on 2 weeks too, that is quite the accomplishment!

Sorry the meds are giving you side effects. I tried many antidepressants in the past and remember that heavy feeling that often comes along with it in the first couple of weeks. I hope it passes for you. Have a great day!
Old 05-22-2017, 06:10 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Day 6 in the bag! Going strong with no desire to drink and zero anxiety. Bring on tomorrow..
Can't wait to step on the scales tomorrow.
Old 05-22-2017, 06:13 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Sunflower thank you so much. You are such a bright light in this group and I appreciate all your comments and support. These antidepressants are a bummer at first yes, but at least I got to laugh again. Hope you are doing well.
Old 05-22-2017, 06:16 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Good morning from rainy Maryland.

Despite my toddler keeping me up until almost 10 (very late for me) I was awake around 4:30 and at the gym by 5:15. Had a great workout and then realized I lost my phone. I've called twice, no one has turned it in and for some reason it is off. UGH. Did someone really steal my phone? It's not new or fancy, kind bummed to think this could happen. I'll stop by the gym in a little bit to check the women's locker room.

Other than that things are going well- did some IKEA shopping yesterday and put together a bunch of furniture last night. Still need to put together a dresser today and do some shopping for the boy's rooms. I love this part of a new house but man it's a lot of work and takes a lot of brain power! Still I can't wait until every room is put together at last.

Feeling good mode wise- I am taking an adrenal supplement and I think it's helping. I seem to be dealing with stress better this last week or so. That's always a good thing.

Happy Sober Monday May friends!
Old 05-22-2017, 07:32 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Found my phone! Not going to tell you where it was -okay it was at home, underneath the tablecloth I spread out this morning and pretty much right underneath my laptop as I was using the "find my iphone" program. Too funny!
Old 05-22-2017, 02:53 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

HI everyone,

Glad you found your phone, sunflower...it usually is where you least expect it!!!

Yes, Dee..I believe my problem is putting my plan into action. It is that. Am getting away with drinking!!! I can camouflage my bottle of wine a night. My husband gets home later and my older boys can't figure it out unless I am pretty drunk. My daughter is the real detective and she will be home Thursday.
In reality, I'm getting away with it and it's okay...except that I feel horrible and don't want to live like this.

SR HAS been a terrific support for me..WHEN I CHOOSE IT..right now I avoid it!!!

UGH..I don't want to live like this ((
Old 05-22-2017, 10:15 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Hi everyone~

Finishing day 6. I got a call early this morning from my mom asking me to meet my dad at the vet clinic. Really grateful I wasn't drinking last night. Also grateful I was able to work from home today. I usually prefer to be in the office because everything is where it's supposed to be, but I like to be able to work from home on occasion if needed.

I was really tired today. I laid down around 8pm and slept until 11pm. Now I am doing laundry I should have done earlier. I think this is just part of adjusting to no alcohol, but I could use a little more energy

Thanks everyone for posting and letting me be a part of this class

Happy Tuesday
Old 05-23-2017, 12:41 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,

I am a reasonably talented chef with two young children (11 months and 4). I recently lost my job just before my new contract began. I would be lying if I said that drinking hadn't had a lot to do with it. I basically had a meeting with my boss when we were both drinking wines, and may have been too honest about certain opinionsI had about how the restaurant should be run.

I suppose the irony is that I put 2 years of my life into that place, really turned it around from an unsuccessful business, haemorrhaging money, into a very successful restaurant. One drunken chat ended that.

I recently got offered a new job as head chef of a new restaurant which is opening soon. but managed to have a few beers in the sun before I turned up at the management meeting yesterday and made a bit of a fool of myself.. again. So, not sure yet if that job is off the cards. I went for a few beers with a couple of people after the meeting, think I offended one of the guys quite seriously (no recollection of what I said). I then got lost cycling home and took 3 hours to get home when it should have taken 30 mins. At one point I even managed to cycle on to a highway! What the actual f***?!

My grandfather was an alcoholic, my dad is, my brother admits he has to be very careful drinking, but knows his limits and manages it. I don't.. I don't have an 'off switch'.. Even friends of mine who drink a lot know when to stop before me.

I tell myself that I can deal with it.. Or even laugh about the sense of shame and identity crisis after a drinking session.. But it's not really something to laugh about. Without the drinking, I am a positive, reasonably bright guy. With the drinking, I'm an obnoxious *****. I've known I'm an alcoholic for a long time, but choose to keep drinking. Getting wasted and having no idea what I have done, said, or been is always just a few days away. Im basically a serious binge drinker; I can go a couple of days without a drink but then I hit it hard.

Been on here a few times as well.. Almost feel a bit ashamed stumbling back here, day 1 again, not much self belief that I can live without alcohol. On a positive note, I managed to give up smoking 6 weeks ago, so there is some will power in there somewhere.

Actually just got a call that one of the guys I was drinking with last night got hit by a scooted crossing the road. I think it's fair to say we were off our faces.

Anyways, I hope to get a couple of days sober under my belt and see where I can go from there. Thank you all for your inspiration and understanding
Old 05-23-2017, 01:03 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  
Administrator

I really believe it's never too late to start on Chapter Two ee.
Good to see you back

D
Old 05-23-2017, 01:30 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I really believe it's never too late to start on Chapter Two ee.
Good to see you back

D
Thank you Dee..