Notices

Class of May 2017 Support Thread Part Two

Old 05-21-2017, 01:16 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sunflowerlife View Post
I'm sorry you drank but glad you came right back here. Did you write out your recovery plan?
Yes I did it yesterday afternoon, Iv also included how awful drinking makes me feel (was a long list!) I'm going to read through it every morning and evening.
Old 05-21-2017, 02:19 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Sascha

D
Old 05-21-2017, 03:51 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Day 19

Good morning friends.
Rough night last night trying to get the boys to sleep. I need to find a better plan for bedtime on Saturday nights when my husband works. I ended up yelling at my 5 year old at 10 o'clock because I could not get him to stop playing and get in bed. I yelled so loudly he was covering his ears.

I feel like a monster and pretty much hate myself right now.

Then I had a drinking dream where I took a couple swigs from a rum bottle (which happens to be the last drink I had.) In my dream I was upset because I had forgotten I was counting my sober days and realized I had to start over!

That's one thing that does motivate you once you get on a roll with days- you don't want to start over again. My longest stretch was 4 months and 8 days and that was last year. So I cannot wait until I get to 4 months and 9 days. I guess that will happen in September.

Well my 5 year old got up at 6:30. This kid won't give me a break. I am exhausted from sleeping late and just wish he would have slept until 7. Hubby sleeps in on Sundays because he gets home late.

I am going to try really hard not to let anything ruin my morning. I already feel like my adrenals are shot and I'm on edge. Going to look up some Beth Tuttle again.

Happy Sunday sober friends- check in when you can...
I need to take my own advice....
Old 05-21-2017, 03:56 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by emme99 View Post
Hi everyone, it's the end of day 4. Today is the first day where trying to not drink is not consuming my every thought. I didn't do much today, and I took a couple of naps, so the lack of stress might be why. Whatever it is, I will take it.

I want to look into meditating as well. I've tried it before but never stuck with it. It's hard to clear my mind enough sometimes but I just need to practice I think.

I hope everyone is doing well

Enjoy the rest of your weekend everyone
Hi Emme! I have always done guided meditations which may be a nice place to start for you- that way you have a focus. One that I really like is by Vishen Lakhiani on an app call OMVANA. He goes through a "6 phase meditation" where you reflect on a few things and then visualize your day at the end. I think it can be very helpful and it takes about 15 minutes. Let me know if you try it! I want to start doing it again too.

Glad you are feeling better and that the AV was a bit quite yesterday! Hope today is just as good for you
Old 05-21-2017, 05:13 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

It seems like forever that I wrote "Day 3 done" but it was only Friday night. Last night was really difficult. The AV was HAMMERING me. Also the stresses of finances, moving, the business really piled up. Wanted to check out so bad.

I didn't. I should feel better about it this morning but don't really. Waking up with a headache. Another full day today, we have an open house so we have to get the place cleaned up and clear out.

Not sure what's going on, just have a lot of depression piling up. Withdrawls? Went to the suicide forum last night. Reminded me things are not that bad but damn, this is a really rough patch of life right now.

Sunday's are the worst
Old 05-21-2017, 06:11 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Good morning, all. This is day 2 for me.

Scott Kiloby's book and the mindfulness practice he recommends are turning out to be helpful. I even do the practice sometimes when I wake up in the middle of the night. Over the years several people have told me that I live too much in my head or too much in the past or future, and I'm starting to agree with them.

Many say that addicts are self-centered, but maybe we could also say that addicts are generally off-center in relation to how things are and how they themselves are in the present moment, with the focus of attention being elsewhere or some imaginary elsewhen.

I should get away from the computer and spend a few minutes here and there exercising and doing a little housework, along the lines of enacting a better lifestyle as opposed to only not drinking.

The path of negligence leads to the palace of squalor.
Old 05-21-2017, 07:41 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Good morning! Oh my goodness yes the few times I have started mindfulness meditating lately have been a huge help too I'm going to do one this morning. I'm still having quite a bit of anxiety even after 20 days, so frustrating how you think drinking will help anxiety and it does initially but then it wrecks havoc in your nervous system and makes it a billion times worse but somehow I always forget that part. I saw a TED talk on mindfulness meditation and they did a study on a group of 30 yr olds those that started meditating daily and those that didn't in 5 years the group that didn't had aged there body to average 36 yrs but those who did meditate there body including hearing, skin elasticity, vision were more on par with 23 year olds. The point of the talk was when we say we don't have time to meditate it's really not true because in the long run we will lose more lifetime not meditating. Anyways just thought it was interesting. Taking my son to a park with another girl from my Daytox program and her son so looking forward to a fun sober day enjoying the sun with them.
Old 05-21-2017, 07:42 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

YES I'm in. And this better be the last "graduation" class I have to join.
Old 05-21-2017, 08:20 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sascha25 View Post
I saw a TED talk on mindfulness meditation and they did a study on a group of 30 yr olds those that started meditating daily and those that didn't in 5 years the group that didn't had aged there body to average 36 yrs but those who did meditate there body including hearing, skin elasticity, vision were more on par with 23 year olds. The point of the talk was when we say we don't have time to meditate it's really not true because in the long run we will lose more lifetime not meditating.
Cool! Thanks for mentioning that. That's a good motivation to keep with it.

It makes sense to me. A regular meditation practice (of the observation and "let it be" variety) probably helps to dissolve chronic stress, tension and guardedness or armor ("shields up!") which must have health benefits.

I have also started to do a short set of Kung Fu warm-up exercises to loosen my joints. I'm starting to feel looser from that and the mindfulness, even after only a few days.

One of my heroes:
Old 05-21-2017, 08:29 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Something that's been touched on earlier in thread.

I am quite a big lad, most of the calories from the alcohol. So by quitting the drink, losing weight will be an added bonus.
Old 05-21-2017, 10:29 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Yes Tynesider22 - I agree - I have found it almost impossible to lose weight in the past as a drinker. Not surprising as I was probably consuming at least an extra 1000+ calories a day in booze. Plus I think alcohol sort of stops the liver dealing with calories from food (it is too busy dealing with the alcohol). I have been reading up a lot about liver health these past few days and have begun to realise how vital it is to our general well being. Def. not something to poison with alcohol.

Anyway, Day 5 for me now. Am feeling OK but strangely lazy and finding it difficult to work or concentrate. Hope all is going well for others

DeepBlue
Old 05-21-2017, 10:40 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Keep Going

At 16 days I'm forgetting how bad days 1-3 were.

Been up-country to stay w/a friend this weekend and managed it sober, despite being asked to make a G&T. I did about 8 hours of driving which is way out of my comfort zone but listened to hours of Jo and Charlie (?) talking about AA. Great stuff.

Think I understand a bit more about why I kept relapsing and the physical / spiritual disease. I'm not even frightened about how often the word "change" cropped up on the CD. I'm really looking forward to being a bit more zen. I bought Beginners Mind by Suzuki (?) and hope I can meditate soon.

I do have HALTS though which is why I'm posting. I'm not getting enough sleep and no matter if I go to bed exhausted I just lie there. Maybe tonight's the night. Actually, maybe its the fact that this addict stuck TWO nicotine patches on... oops.

Keep posting everyone, it's a lifeline x
Old 05-21-2017, 12:39 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FixItDad View Post
It seems like forever that I wrote "Day 3 done" but it was only Friday night. Last night was really difficult. The AV was HAMMERING me. Also the stresses of finances, moving, the business really piled up. Wanted to check out so bad.

I didn't. I should feel better about it this morning but don't really. Waking up with a headache. Another full day today, we have an open house so we have to get the place cleaned up and clear out.

Not sure what's going on, just have a lot of depression piling up. Withdrawls? Went to the suicide forum last night. Reminded me things are not that bad but damn, this is a really rough patch of life right now.

Sunday's are the worst
I'm sorry you are struggling so much but I am very proud of you for making it through with all the stress and loud AV noise- really, if you can continue to push through these thoughts of wanting to check out, it will only become easier and easier each time you do it.

I can relate to the stress of having to show the house over and over again - definitely a PIA but remember it's only temporary!

As for the depression, I do think it is natural in early sobriety. We are going to feel those things that we masked before- those things we couldn't deal with or didn't want to address or look at. Please hang in there and keep doing whatever you are doing that is keeping you sober. If you aren't feeling so well you could also reach out to your doctor- I want you to be safe in addition to sober, you know?

I wanted to write more but my Dad just got here..Check in later if you can ...
Old 05-21-2017, 01:00 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Good to hear from all of you and your experiences. I relapsed last Tuesday on a day binge. With the warm weather kicking in in San Diego, social gathering invitations really pick up a pace. Friday, I did manage to go out and have 3 beers in a 6 hrs period. I also started meds
( naltrexone). Saturday morning I had a very bad craving, but came to SR and fortunately enough found a wonderful soul to chat. I also started on bupropion. The idea of using meds is to help with the first phase of recovery, detox- kind of help weaning out of the bottle so to speak. In an 89 degree weather, got my kids and off to the beach to meet friends. Sure enough, they had a beer to offer. I passed the offer without much problem or anxiety. At night at a dinner party, I manage to have just one beer although I forgot to take the naltrexone.
People obviously are starting to notice. Yesterday I just told them that, before, I used to get happy when drinking but not anymore, so I no longer feel like drinking. They all understood with supportive comments, so they stopped asking me if I wanted another drink.
Since the relapse last week, things that I changed other than starting meds:
  • trying 15 min meditation daily
  • 15-20 min work out
  • SR as soon as crave starts
checking
Old 05-21-2017, 02:16 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FixItDad View Post

Sunday's are the worst
Hey FixItDad,
Good to hear you got over day 3!! I find day 3 awful to deal with as well. It does sound like withdraw syndrome to me. Some people do experience overwhelming thoughts like you shared, consider talking to your doctor for a referral to help you get through this initial phase of detox. Hope you show up to share your day tonight.
Old 05-21-2017, 02:33 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Sunflowerlife;6466239]

Then I had a drinking dream where I took a couple swigs from a rum bottle [I](which happens to be the last drink I had.)

I also have "drinking dreams", or maybe I should call them nightmares. I am drunk and panicked about being late for work, car keys are lost, purse has been stolen, and I am stuck in a strange place!

I really believe that this is my sub-conscious reminding me of what booze will do to my life if I ever use again!!

Stay strong May friends
Old 05-21-2017, 04:29 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome TWTOM

Great going on 3 weeks solarion & congrats to everyone else hitting a milestone today

To those doing it tough I have no doubt you;re on the right road. It's not always going to be as hard as this - it gets better

D
Old 05-21-2017, 05:12 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

11hrs into Day 6, going strong with Zero desire to drink.
6 days ago my anxiety had got so bad I was struggling to drop my kids off at school. That was a turning point for me.
Today I feel terrific, social interactions are a breeze. I haven't felt this alive in years. Life is good. Stay strong people. Best of luck getting through today.
Old 05-21-2017, 05:14 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Gratitude Gardener

Hey All! I joined this site yesterday, but didnt know about the class. I am at Day 2. And I just wanted to make sure to put myself here in the may class!
Happy Sobriety Everyone <3
Old 05-21-2017, 05:19 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Thanks, Dee, but three weeks must have been someone else.