Notices

On My Way # 5

Old 05-05-2017, 10:59 AM
  # 241 (permalink)  

As I hoped, yesterday afternoon was much more efficient than the morning. About half of it was spent helping my kids study for finals; my daughter's graduate school majors are subjects that I know nothing about so I had to leave it to her to self assess her answers to the questions I was tasked to ask. My son's upcoming final is in a subject that I have one of master's degrees in and I started going a little overboard in critiquing and offering information that is beyond the scope of his undergraduate non major class. How do I know? He told me so.

It's going to be a bodyweight at home exercise day. Pushups, burpees, planks, and gripper work.

Dinner tonight is going to be tacos. I'm on the fence about whether to make traditional beef ones or fish tacos, but given that I have all the ingredients for the former I'll most likely go that route.

My wife's going out with a bunch of women from our gym tonight; I'll be home with dear daughter and reading a book after dinner. Guess who will be more well rested for tomorrow's 9 AM strength and stamina class.
Old 05-05-2017, 11:15 AM
  # 242 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gonnachange View Post
As I hoped, yesterday afternoon was much more efficient than the morning. About half of it was spent helping my kids study for finals; my daughter's graduate school majors are subjects that I know nothing about so I had to leave it to her to self assess her answers to the questions I was tasked to ask. My son's upcoming final is in a subject that I have one of master's degrees in and I started going a little overboard in critiquing and offering information that is beyond the scope of his undergraduate non major class. How do I know? He told me so.

It's going to be a bodyweight at home exercise day. Pushups, burpees, planks, and gripper work.

Dinner tonight is going to be tacos. I'm on the fence about whether to make traditional beef ones or fish tacos, but given that I have all the ingredients for the former I'll most likely go that route.

My wife's going out with a bunch of women from our gym tonight; I'll be home with dear daughter and reading a book after dinner. Guess who will be more well rested for tomorrow's 9 AM strength and stamina class.
Funny!!! We are doing tacos, too. Hard, crispy shells!!!

You are a good Dad. Hopefully your son will remember some of the enrichment you provided.
Old 05-05-2017, 01:42 PM
  # 243 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
Funny!!! We are doing tacos, too. Hard, crispy shells!!!

You are a good Dad. Hopefully your son will remember some of the enrichment you provided.
Tacos....an easy way to embrace the spirit of Cinco de Mayo. :-)

Beef cooked in taco seasoning
Hard shells
Shredded lettuce
Black olives
Chopped tomatoes
Grated cheddar cheese
Guacamole
Chopped onions
Chopped jalapeno peppers

It looks like more work than it is because I'm only making enough for two people. Plus lunch tomorrow. :-)

Regarding dear son, he probably will not retain the "extra" as it's not one of his majors and he won't be using the subject professionally. He understands the elementary concepts enough to have an "A" so far in the class, but there's no reason for him to go beyond that other than due to his own intellectual curiosity.

Enjoy your tacos!
Old 05-05-2017, 01:44 PM
  # 244 (permalink)  

Tacos....an easy way to embrace the spirit of Cinco de Mayo. :-)

Beef cooked in taco seasoning
Hard shells
Shredded lettuce
Black olives
Chopped tomatoes
Grated cheddar cheese
Guacamole
Chopped onions
Chopped jalapeno peppers

It looks like more work than it is because I'm only making enough for two people. Plus lunch tomorrow. :-)

Regarding dear son, he probably will not retain the "extra" as it's not one of his majors and he won't be using the subject professionally. He understands the elementary concepts enough to have an "A" so far in the class, but there's no reason for him to go beyond that other than due to his own intellectual curiosity.

Enjoy your tacos!
Thanks, you too, GC.
Old 05-05-2017, 02:59 PM
  # 245 (permalink)  

Thanks SL. The tacos were a suggestion by my daughter and since we've haven't had them in a long time I'm looking forward to the dinner. Simple and tasty for the win!

To clarify something I wrote earlier, the "elementary" of what my son understands about the subject wasn't insinuating that he has a superficial understanding of what he's being taught (he's going to ace the class after all), but that as a 200 or 300 level undergrad course in economics (macro in this case) it really doesn't delve into the complexities one confronts in grad school. As it should be.
Old 05-06-2017, 10:25 AM
  # 246 (permalink)  

Lots of leg work this morning. Weighted step ups, 3 variations of squats, deadlifts, plus some core work.

Later today I'll be taking my dog for a long afternoon walk which will be followed by a shorter evening walk.

Dinner tonight is going to be something involving shrimp although there's a slight possibility we may go out for dinner.
Old 05-06-2017, 10:32 AM
  # 247 (permalink)  

Thanks SL. The tacos were a suggestion by my daughter and since we've haven't had them in a long time I'm looking forward to the dinner. Simple and tasty for the win!

To clarify something I wrote earlier, the "elementary" of what my son understands about the subject wasn't insinuating that he has a superficial understanding of what he's being taught (he's going to ace the class after all), but that as a 200 or 300 level undergrad course in economics (macro in this case) it really doesn't delve into the complexities one confronts in grad school. As it should be.
Never doubted for a second, GC!!!!
Old 05-06-2017, 10:33 AM
  # 248 (permalink)  

Our tacos were fantastic, too. We added some freshly sliced avocado which added such flavor!!!!
Old 05-06-2017, 10:41 AM
  # 249 (permalink)  

Sounds delish SL!
Old 05-06-2017, 02:43 PM
  # 250 (permalink)  

SL, I had a couple of ripe avocados that I used to make the guacamole last night; your freshly sliced ones were a great addition to your dinner.
Old 05-07-2017, 08:54 AM
  # 251 (permalink)  

I started off the day with:

Warm ups:

Squats
High knees
Walkouts with a pushup and shoulder taps

Then:

Jump squats
Agility ladder sprints
Duffle bag squat cleans
Ball slams
Russian twists
Db shoulder presses
Ab wheel rollouts

This afternoon if the weather holds up we're supposed to go to my MIL's house to do some gardening and take her to dinner.
Old 05-07-2017, 09:05 AM
  # 252 (permalink)  

I started off the day with:

Warm ups:

Squats
High knees
Walkouts with a pushup and shoulder taps

Then:

Jump squats
Agility ladder sprints
Duffle bag squat cleans
Ball slams
Russian twists
Db shoulder presses
Ab wheel rollouts

This afternoon if the weather holds up we're supposed to go to my MIL's house to do some gardening and take her to dinner.
You are a good SIL, GC!!!!!

Proud to call you friend.
Old 05-08-2017, 11:10 AM
  # 253 (permalink)  

You are a good SIL, GC!!!!!

Proud to call you friend.
Likewise SL!

Today

Monday morning means I was at the gym. After some warm ups I did:

Heavy rope fun with reverse lunges
Db shoulder presses
Ball slams
Lateral box sprints
Kb swings
Planks
Ab wheel rollouts

3 rounds with minimal rest. My breathing wasn't up to par and I was gassed toward the end and had to slow down.

I've yet to decide dinner for tonight, but for our Mother's Day party I'm going to be serving:

Appys

Roasted red pepper wraps
Crudite with dill weed dip
Baugettes with fresh mozzarella, tomatoes, basil pesto, and arugula

In Transition

Hot dogs***

Main Course

Baked beans
Wild rice medley
7 layer salad***
Grilled marinated flank steak
St. Louis cut smoked ribs
Cheese tortellini with a tomato, vodka, and cream sauce

Dessert

Fresh fruit we'll provide and whatever our guests bring

Beverages

Soda
Seltzer
Water
Beer
Wine
Liquor
Coffee
Tea

***Since this is the first BBQ of the season, a family tradition is to include hot dogs in the mix. The salad is a family tradition that makes an appearance at all family parties. For Mother's Day these two items HAVE to be served or I'll never hear the end of it.
Old 05-08-2017, 11:15 AM
  # 254 (permalink)  

Likewise SL!

Today

Monday morning means I was at the gym. After some warm ups I did:

Heavy rope fun with reverse lunges
Db shoulder presses
Ball slams
Lateral box sprints
Kb swings
Planks
Ab wheel rollouts

3 rounds with minimal rest. My breathing wasn't up to par and I was gassed toward the end and had to slow down.

I've yet to decide dinner for tonight, but for our Mother's Day party I'm going to be serving:

Appys

Roasted red pepper wraps
Crudite with dill weed dip
Baugettes with fresh mozzarella, tomatoes, basil pesto, and arugula

In Transition

Hot dogs***

Main Course

Baked beans
Wild rice medley
7 layer salad***
Grilled marinated flank steak
St. Louis cut smoked ribs
Cheese tortellini with a tomato, vodka, and cream sauce

Dessert

Fresh fruit we'll provide and whatever our guests bring

Beverages

Soda
Seltzer
Water
Beer
Wine
Liquor
Coffee
Tea

***Since this is the first BBQ of the season, a family tradition is to include hot dogs in the mix. The salad is a family tradition that makes an appearance at all family parties. For Mother's Day these two items HAVE to be served or I'll never hear the end of it.

It's going to be a wonderful Mother's Day BBQ.

I love 7 layer salad, too. It was one of my MIL's specialities. I miss her very much. She was a wonderful, loving MIL.
Old 05-08-2017, 11:26 AM
  # 255 (permalink)  

That's nice that you have such wonderful memories of your MIL. I too am fortunate to truly get along with my MIL and while he was alive my recently deceased FIL.

I have a bunch of shopping and cooking ahead of me, but I'm looking forward to the party. We've hosted Mother's Day parties for our family and some friends for over 20 years.

Regarding the 7 layer salad, I can remember the exact date and where I first had it. My wife and I were at a co-worker of mine's house and she served it; I liked it so much I asked her for the recipe and she brought it into work the following Monday. Shortly afterward we hosted a family party and served it and, as the saying goes, the rest is history. Over 30 years and it's still a must have when we get together with my wife's family.
Old 05-08-2017, 11:29 AM
  # 256 (permalink)  

That's nice that you have such wonderful memories of your MIL. I too am fortunate to truly get along with my MIL and while he was alive my recently deceased FIL.

I have a bunch of shopping and cooking ahead of me, but I'm looking forward to the party. We've hosted Mother's Day parties for our family and some friends for over 20 years.

Regarding the 7 layer salad, I can remember the exact date and where I first had it. My wife and I were at a co-worker of mine's house and she served it; I liked it so much I asked her for the recipe and she brought it into work the following Monday. Shortly afterward we hosted a family party and served it and, as the saying goes, the rest is history. Over 30 years and it's still a must have when we get together with my wife's family.
Very cool how family traditions begin, isn't it!!!!
Old 05-08-2017, 11:30 AM
  # 257 (permalink)  

Your post rather reminded me of Paul Harvey's "And now you know the rest of the story"
Old 05-08-2017, 11:37 AM
  # 258 (permalink)  

Your post rather reminded me of Paul Harvey's "And now you know the rest of the story"
That's a name I haven't thought of in quite a while. :-)
Old 05-09-2017, 11:00 AM
  # 259 (permalink)  

I've been out of the house for most of morning and got a lot accomplished, but have yet to go to my running store to buy a new pair of running shoes. IOW, no running for me today. Yet.

Dinner last night was a suggestion by dear daughter. Thick cut boneless pork chops in a paprika sour cream sauce with a side of French cut string beans. Dinner tonight is going to baked panko breaded chicken leg quarters and a garden salad.
Old 05-09-2017, 11:17 AM
  # 260 (permalink)  

I've been out of the house for most of morning and got a lot accomplished, but have yet to go to my running store to buy a new pair of running shoes. IOW, no running for me today. Yet.

Dinner last night was a suggestion by dear daughter. Thick cut boneless pork chops in a paprika sour cream sauce with a side of French cut string beans. Dinner tonight is going to baked panko breaded chicken leg quarters and a garden salad.
Both dinners sound deeeeeelish, GC.