Notices

On My Way # 5

Old 01-04-2017, 09:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

On My Way # 5

Since I'm about to hit the max limit on my previous thread I'll now be posting here.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ay-4-a-20.html

Last edited by Dee74; 02-01-2017 at 02:38 PM.
Old 01-04-2017, 10:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi, GC!!!!!

How is your new year going?
Old 01-04-2017, 10:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

SoberLeigh, personally well. Thank you for asking and I hope the same for you.

Some cut and paste from version #4 of this thread:

Written yesterday

The day started with a short walk to meet a friend for breakfast. My plan was to hit the gym after that, but upon returning home it was evident that I would be going to the vet instead. My dog scratched her eye last night and it became very irritated and swollen. Fortunately we were squeezed in and taken relatively promptly, but the whole process still took about 90 minutes. Now that I'm back from that I'll shortly be taking my son, my daughter, and her boyfriend to the airport. We're flying them to Florida to spend a week with Grandma.

Written earlier today

Life...last night as my wife and I were getting ready to go to the gym and then out to dinner we received a phone call from our next door neighbor telling us that her father, the one who fell last month down a flight of steps, was being taken to the hospital, and she wanted to know if we could take care of her two distraught teenagers. So, of course, we changed our plans. Since I had no intention of cooking, there weren't too many leftovers in the house, and I had no time to defrost and cook dinner we ordered pizza and a large antipasto. After dinner we hung out in the living room talking, listening to music, and enjoying a fire that was blazing the fireplace.

As it turns out our neighbor's father was bleeding internally between his skull and brain and it was causing pressure that has to be relieved through surgery. Depending upon how stable he is that will take place either today or tomorrow which also means that we'll be watching the kids for at least a couple more days. That's okay.

My plan is to hit the gym for the Wednesday class I've been recently taking. So that we can eat once I get home I'll be making chicken cacciatore and a side salad.
Old 01-04-2017, 10:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You and your wife are very good people, GC.

Safe travels for your children!!!!
Old 01-04-2017, 10:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
You and your wife are very good people, GC.

Safe travels for your children!!!!
Thanks for your kind words and for your sentiments about my kids.

I spoke to my son this AM; he was offered a position as a paid research assistant by one of his professors that I think runs through the entire spring semester and will involve working with a company in the field he wants to go into when he graduates. He's pretty psyched.

My daughter called to "complain" about how hard it was for her to run in the hot southern Florida weather. Even though it's mild here today, she didn't get much sympathy from me.

All of them are now lounging by the pool. In truth my kids and my daughter's bf all work hard so, along with Grandma, I'm happy to give them a week of relaxation.
Old 01-05-2017, 07:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I was at the gym this AM and there were squats, deadlifts, and upright rows on the menu along with some incline crunches.

Dinner tonight is going to be grilled flank steak that I'm currently marinating and mashed potatoes.
Old 01-06-2017, 09:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Exercise today has been and will be walking. Tomorrow my wife and I will be a the gym at 9 for a strength and stamina class.

I won't be cooking tonight because I have a book club meeting. I offered to make dinner for my wife and neighbor's kids who are still with us, but my wife has opted to take them to dinner.
Old 01-06-2017, 12:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

With four hours to spare, I finished my book club book a short while ago. All is good. :-)
Old 01-07-2017, 07:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My wife and I were at the gym at 9 for a strength and stamina class. I tweaked my right elbow, which has been low level bothering me for months, so I may have to make some modifications going forward.

We're staying home for dinner tonight. I'll be grilling a couple of shell steaks and the side is going to be roasted beets with feta cheese.
Old 01-08-2017, 09:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Our snow accumulation forecast was for 1-3 inches and we got 6 so I had a bit more shoveling to do than I anticipated. I texted my kids, who are still in Florida, to take the next plane home to help me, but they had another agenda. I took care of my property and one of the cars; I think I'm going to leave the others for the youngins and Mother Nature to deal with.

I was at the gym this morning for another strength and stamina class. After warm ups we did 4 circuits of:

Planks
Ball slams
Push ups with shoulder touches
Kb rows
Kb figure 8's
Step ups

I'll have some minor functional exercise later today helping my wife put away our holiday decorations and then my plan is to read the paper and watch the NFL playoffs.

Dinner tonight is going to be an eggplant and chickpea dish with curry-esque flavorings that I'll serve over a to be decided grain, probably couscous.
Old 01-09-2017, 02:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Like others, I haven't been able to post today. Hopefully this works.

Monday fun with my trainer:

2 rounds of:

30 jumping jacks
20 squats
10 pushups

3 rounds of:

Duffel bag cleans and squats
Bb curls
Push ups
Bench dips
Ab wheel rollouts
Turkish getups
Russian twists

Dinner tonight is going to be what I planned to make yesterday until we decided to go out to dinner.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:14 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm still having trouble posting so hopefully the tech crew will sort things out.

I'll be exercising at home today. Planks, push ups, and gripper work.
Old 01-10-2017, 03:54 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Tonight, with some minor modifications I'm essentially making the black bean portion of a typical rice and beans dish, but I'm throwing everything in my Vitamix. If you're not familiar with the brand, me calling it a blender is unfair to blenders. This beast will not only pulverize everything in a very short amount of time, no big deal, but after a total of 5:30 due to the speed and power of the blades the contents will become a piping hot soup. At that point I'll throw in already cooked and cut up chicken for additional protein.
Old 01-11-2017, 07:41 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Last night I had to pick my kids up from the airport. While not early, was an earlier one that I anticipated. Per the airline website the plane was supposed to land 15 minutes earlier than originally thought, even as we were about to leave for the airport, and it actually landed 10 minutes before that. We had just started on our way when we got a text telling us they landed; normally we would still have had plenty of time to get to the airport in time since they still had to disembark and get their baggage. Not this time as the process took about 20 minutes so while we were a little late arriving we got home about one hour earlier than I anticipated. All was good.

Exercise today will most likely be a strength and stamina class tonight. If not then a solo afternoon workout.

Dinner plans have not been solidified because I don't know who is going to be home and what I make is dependent the likes of those who are here. A bit more accommodative than normal since it's their first day back. Whatever the final decision is going to be, it's going to be on the light side since they all mentioned how much eating they did while away.
Old 01-11-2017, 01:21 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I will be going to the strength and stamina class tonight.

Everyone is going to be home tonight and I'm going the light-ish route for dinner as mentioned above. Mushroom and bacon quiche, arugula with mustard vinaigrette, and a toasted baguette.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:32 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I came into class last night feeling good, but struggled. I got through it, barely; but it was one of "those" experiences. With it being 60 degrees today this afternoon I'm going to lace 'em up for a run.

Dinner is going to involve pork tenderloin and either roasted cauliflower and chipotle smashed yams.
Old 01-13-2017, 04:58 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I had a good run yesterday and it was very nice being able to run without a lot of clothing. It was a one day treat as the high today is going to be 45F/7C and tomorrow the high will be 33F/0C with a possibility of snow. Today I may do some gripper work at home, but I'm making it essentially a rest day. I'll be at the gym at 9 AM tomorrow.

For dinner last night I wound up going with the chipotle smashed yams because I thought there would be too much white on the plate with the cauliflower. Dinner plans for tonight are undecided; the leading contender is rib eyes that I'll grill and serve with roasted cauliflower.

There's a small chance I may be hosting a small (6-8) person party Sunday.
Old 01-14-2017, 08:49 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Redemption! After my difficult and lousy showing at the gym on Wednesday I kicked butt this morning. It wasn't that my efforts were any higher, just that my body responded diametrically to the way it did last time. I'll be back at the gym tomorrow AM for different exercises.

I have some of the usual Saturday stuff ahead of me, I'll be going on a walk with my wife, and then will make a seafood paella for dinner. There will also be NFL playoff football viewing involved.
Old 01-14-2017, 01:04 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

My wife and I had a couple of errands in town and we walked despite the snow and I'm glad we did. I'm hoping we don't get too much accumulation.
Old 01-15-2017, 09:27 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I was at the gym this morning for a moderately challenging workout. It was a good fit for me because yesterday was tough and tomorrow AM I have a one on one with my trainer and those are always brutal.

I think I wrote a few days ago that I may be hosting a small party this afternoon. That's not happening due to scheduling conflicts and last minute "life issues" of some of the guests. On one hand I'm saddened that I won't see my friends, but on the other hand a lazy Sunday afternoon has its appeal.

I'll probably spend most of the afternoon reading while ignoring some non critical house stuff and then watch some (Amercian) football. Because of my interest in the playoffs I'm not too interested in spending a lot of time in the kitchen so I'm thinking of making meatloaf and serving it with mashed potatoes and a veggie.