Notices

On My Way # 5

Old 04-08-2017, 10:03 AM
  # 201 (permalink)  

I was at the gym for a strength and stamina class this morning. I had neither so it was tough to get through. I'll be going on a walk with my wife and dog later, but I don't think I'm going to be good for much today.

The early happy hour I went to last night turned into a full evening of dinner. We went to a place in town which was having its official opening last night and the inexperience of the staff was evident. The service was terrible, but the food was delicious and when it came time to pay the bill our waiter informed us that because we were so patient and polite the entire meal was for free. We gave the waiter, who really was working hard, but hampered by the kitchen and bar staff, a generous tip and all of us would be willing to go back again.

So no cooking for me last night and with the way I'm feeling today I'm looking to lay low so we'll almost definitely eat dinner at home using the shrimp I didn't cook last night.
Old 04-09-2017, 08:42 AM
  # 202 (permalink)  

After a warm up I did 4 circuits of:

Bicycles
Mountain climbers
Ab wheel rollouts
Heavy rope fun
High plank w/ shoulder touches
Ball slams
Russian twists
Rowing machine

It's beautiful outside so I may attempt a short walk before starting to cook in preparation for the small Passover Seder I'm hosting tomorrow. I won't be deviating too far from any traditions and will serve:

Gefilte fish

Matzo ball soup

Israeli chicken sofrito
Braised brisket w/ roasted root vegetables
Asparagus
Potato kugel
I'm also considering making a spinach and matzo bake, but won't make a decision until tomorrow.

Desserts will be brought by my guests.

Dinner tonight is (finally) going to be the pastrami I made along with a side of homemade coleslaw.
Old 04-09-2017, 12:05 PM
  # 203 (permalink)  

I went on a two mile walk with my wife and dog and am now in the midst of cooking for tomorrow.
Old 04-10-2017, 09:00 AM
  # 204 (permalink)  

Monday fun with my trainer.

2 warm up sets of:

30 jumping jacks
20 squats
10 push ups

3 circuits of:

Kb squats
Db step ups
Incline Bb bench presses
Incline Bb skullcrushers
Lat pulldowns
Pushups
Seated bench rows
Leg raises
Crunches

For the most part the rest of the day is going to be spent cooking and preparing for tonight's Seder.
Old 04-10-2017, 09:55 AM
  # 205 (permalink)  

Have a Blessed Seder, GC.
Old 04-11-2017, 04:44 AM
  # 206 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
Have a Blessed Seder, GC.
Thank you SL. We had a lovely time surrounded by family and close friends.
Old 04-12-2017, 12:12 PM
  # 207 (permalink)  

If talking to customer service people counted as exercise I've been a stud today and will be showing big muscles and increased stamina tomorrow. Three separate companies and as of now two of the issues have been resolved in my favor and in about a couple of days I should get confirmation about the third situation which should also be resolved in my favor.

Tonight I'll be at a strength and stamina class and dinner will be the chicken dish I made for Passover that I'm reheating in my slow cooker. The side will be the rest of the potato kugel.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:12 AM
  # 208 (permalink)  

I spent most of the morning take care of some things with my daughter and later I'll go on a 4 mile walk with my dog.

Dinner tonight is going to be matzo brie with smoke salmon, a request by the above mentioned young lady. I found out this morning that we'll be having a surprise guest starting tonight and through Easter because my son is coming home tonight for an interview tomorrow AM. On Saturday a friend of my daughter and her boyfriend will be coming over for the day and going to our family Easter celebration on Sunday.
Old 04-14-2017, 01:58 PM
  # 209 (permalink)  

Exercise for the day was yardwork and taking my dog on a 3.5 mile walk

Dinner tonight is going to be cod cooked in a to be determined manner with a to be determined side dish.
Old 04-14-2017, 03:36 PM
  # 210 (permalink)  

We enjoyed cod prepare on the grill tonight
Old 04-15-2017, 09:43 AM
  # 211 (permalink)  

We enjoyed cod prepare on the grill tonight
How coincidental. I've never grilled cod, but now that you've mentioned it I'll give it a try. Thanks

Today

My wife and I were at the gym at 9 this morning for our strength and stamina class, always a nice as well as challenging way to start the day.

I wrote yesterday my daughter's former apartment mate when she studied in Ireland is coming to our house with her boyfriend so I knew there was going to six around the dinner table tonight. We're now up to 10. The difference is that now it's more of a dinner party instead of us just having an additional couple of plates around the table. I have no desire to spend a lot of time in the kitchen today and the updated menu is:

Appys
Crudite with dill weed dip
Spinach balls

Main Course
Grilled marinated chicken thighs
Prime rib eye roast cooked over lump charcoal and mesquite wood
Roasted asparagus
Roasted yams
Sautéed mushrooms, garlic, and onions

Dessert
Fruit
Other desserts will be brought by the guests

Beverages

Whatever our guests want
Old 04-15-2017, 10:08 AM
  # 212 (permalink)  

Sounds fantastic, GC.

Enjoy the food and the company
Old 04-15-2017, 01:20 PM
  # 213 (permalink)  

Sounds fantastic, GC.

Enjoy the food and the company
Thanks SL. Aside from making tasty offerings that will satisfy everyone's palate (vegetarian, non red meat eater, nothing too spicy, etc.) and are relatively healthy, I really didn't feel like spending a lot of time in the kitchen and the above menu satisfies all those points.

It's going to be an interesting night because most of our guests are friends of my daughter and while I know that their plan is to hang here, with a couple sleeping over, I wouldn't be surprised if after dinner the 30 and under crowd and the children of the 1950's (me and my wife) go don't engage as much. That's okay.
Old 04-15-2017, 01:23 PM
  # 214 (permalink)  

I get it!!!!
Old 04-17-2017, 06:58 AM
  # 215 (permalink)  

I get it!!!!
I was wrong. Everyone hung out around the dining room table until about 1 AM. Lots of fun, but I wasn't too happy when I had to get up to be at the gym by 9 the next morning.

Weekend Update

Hosting a dinner party Saturday night, spending Sunday at a family Easter celebration and losing (a little) weight equals SUCCESS!

Exercise for the day is going to be some solo gym work focusing the upper body.

We were given the ham shank from the Easter ham my BIL cooked and I'm going to use that to make split pea soup this afternoon.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:31 AM
  # 216 (permalink)  

I've walked about 4 miles so far, about half with my dog. I may go on a run later.

Dinner tonight is going to be shrimp served over spaghetti squash.
Old 04-19-2017, 08:49 AM
  # 217 (permalink)  

It's a weird day that is sucking the energy from me, but for that reason I know I have to get my body moving and will either go on a walk or a run later. One of the best friends of mine and my wife died a few days ago after a long and painful battle with cancer and along with dear daughter we'll be going to her wake tonight. The dichotomy of the day is that while tonight is going to be tough I spent a good portion of the morning focusing on celebratory things because I was hammering out touristy and dining options for our trip to Key West that starts Saturday AM. This is the trip that was postponed due to the death of my wife's father.
Old 04-19-2017, 08:52 AM
  # 218 (permalink)  

I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your friend, GC.

How I abhor cancer.

Sending love your way.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:20 AM
  # 219 (permalink)  

I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your friend, GC.

How I abhor cancer.

Sending love your way.
Thank you SL. We've been friends with her since 1982 and her husband since they met in about 1984. I know what her daughter is going through because I've lost both of my parents, but I can't fathom the emotions that her husband, her 3 sisters, and her mother are grappling with.

Honestly, I don't think I've fully processed the situation. Obviously I intellectually know the reality, but I still need some time. Fortunately my wife and I have each other to lean on; one of our friends who is divorced and really doesn't have anyone to reach out to has been calling every day just to talk. It's been helpful to him, me, and my wife.

Ugh! Eff you cancer!
Old 04-19-2017, 09:21 AM
  # 220 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gonnachange View Post
Thank you SL. We've been friends with her since 1982 and her husband since they met in about 1984. I know what her daughter is going through because I've lost both of my parents, but I can't fathom the emotions that her husband, her 3 sisters, and her mother are grappling with.

Honestly, I don't think I've fully processed the situation. Obviously I intellectually know the reality, but I still need some time. Fortunately my wife and I have each other to lean on; one of our friends who is divorced and really doesn't have anyone to reach out to has been calling every day just to talk. It's been helpful to him, me, and my wife.

Ugh! Eff you cancer!
My sentiments exactly.